• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
keltickennedy said:
Okay....but that's not Nolan North. It's the Creative Director for this new game.

Haha, that has to be the most obnoxious example of self-insertion I've ever seen. :p

Ahh why did they change the look of Desmond again? At least with animus characters they could say its equipment upgrades or whatever, but Desmond is supposed to be the "real" one.

Ranger X

I also find the Desmond change really wierd (unless it's explained later of course). Maybe the contract with that model guy ended and they didn't bother to renew? lol

Anyways, regardless of ugly Desmond, I just arrived in Constantinople and I love every second of the game so far. I wonder where was the slow start some reviews were talking about. Brotherhood was starting way more boring than that.

JaseC

BigJiantRobut said:
What are you talking about? They look absolutely nothing alike.

I forgot to denote that I was joking. :(

Edit: With the removal of the wanted posters, how do you go about easily lowering your notoriety?

As I said before, I think he looks like this guy:
images.jpg

Dude was pretty bad-ass in his prime; he'd make a great Altair in an AC movie, at least physically.

dwebo

Is there some haystack trick I'm forgetting / missing? It seemed like there were only 5 haystacks in the whole section, and only 2-3 with patrolling guards.

... I don't remember having much trouble with any perfect sync requirements in Brotherhood, and I can't even get one in the first sequence here! Bah, fuck this.

I played for about an hour and like it, but why did they put that stupid cart battle in there, especially so early? Does anyone ever like any sections like that in games like this? I know they were in brotherhood, too, but still.

nib95

Banned
Saw the trailer for this game on TV. Awesome. Actually made me want to buy the game lol. In-fact, the live action trailers from MW3, Skyrim and AssCreed have been really well done.

tci

This game is so good. Only a few hours in and I really like the changes since Brotherhood. Seems they always improve the formula, still when it's already great.

Damn, Giant Bomb really deflated my interest in this, especially Ryan Davis who absolutely loved Brotherhood. I still plan on picking this up (The AC Series is like comfort food for me) but I think my priorities have changed. There's so many games coming out that I might wait a little on this. Basically, my priorities right now are Skyrim, Batman, Skyward Sword and AC:R. Then ME3 is going to be right around the corner. I'm sure I'll love AC:R, but it just seems it might feel too same-y.

Cheska

I know it's been said before by others, but this Den Defense section is horrible IMO. Seriously hope I'm not forced to do more of these sections.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
JaseC said:
Edit: With the removal of the wanted posters, how do you go about easily lowering your notoriety?
When you bribe a Herald you can't bribe him again, but it you go a bit away from him (just outside your map, or a bit more) he will activate again. Rinse, repeat.

JaseC

Blimblim said:
When you bribe a Herald you can't bribe him again, but it you go a bit away from him (just outside your map, or a bit more) he will activate again. Rinse, repeat.

Is that as tedious as it sounds? With the wanted posters, you could usually clear your notoriety in mere seconds.

Edit: Well, in less than a minute, I mean.

Salazar

Like the hat? said:
I played for about an hour and like it, but why did they put that stupid cart battle in there, especially so early? Does anyone ever like any sections like that in games like this? I know they were in brotherhood, too, but still.

Yeah, that was quite horrible. I haven't had to deal with a Desmond pseudo-puzzle section yet, but I am faintly dreading it. I am trying to concentrate on the open world mucking about stuff, which is almost entirely what I like about the series.

Ranger X

Cheska said:
I know it's been said before by others, but this Den Defense section is horrible IMO. Seriously hope I'm not forced to do more of these sections.

It sucks and it's horribly tacked on (also not fitting the game's gameplay style) and if you keep your notoriety low, you won't have to do those again.

Ranger X said:
It sucks and it's horribly tacked on (also not fitting the game's gameplay style) and if you keep your notoriety low, you won't have to do those again.

I really don't find them that difficult. But I don't play a lot of tower defense, so I guess I don't really have any standards to compare those sections to.

Kind of disappointed about the Altair to Ezio gameplay ratio though. Ah well, first world problems.

Got my Brotherhood achievemets on PS3, but tempted to get this on PC just for the silky-smooth framerate. Will play Skyrim and wait for the reactions about PC version.

glaurung

Started playing last night.

The cart battle was stupid and pointless, failed four times and then simply hanged back and played real conservatively, barely surviving.

Then the game gets a lot better. Like that the chests with bomb ingredients respawn. Like that conquering the new areas is done as it is done. Tower defense feels pointless and I haven't had to do that after the tutorial fight. It controls OK, but placing the troops feels useless.

Like the graphics, Constantinopol is pretty god damn huge and I am barely scratching the surface here. Also played the first Desmond level. Weird, boring.

The game is proper awesome though. I will blast through it like I have with all Creeds except the first one.

glaurung said:
Started playing last night.

The cart battle was stupid and pointless, failed four times and then simply hanged back and played real conservatively, barely surviving.

Then the game gets a lot better. Like that the chests with bomb ingredients respawn. Like that conquering the new areas is done as it is done. Tower defense feels pointless and I haven't had to do that after the tutorial fight. It controls OK, but placing the troops feels useless.

Like the graphics, Constantinopol is pretty god damn huge and I am barely scratching the surface here. Also played the first Desmond level. Weird, boring.

The game is proper awesome though. I will blast through it like I have with all Creeds except the first one.

It's so stupid. The game puts a tip on screen saying 'Wind up to deal more damage', but I beat it in one try when I decided 'fuck it' and just 'snaked' back and forth really quickly, chipping away his damage.

I love it when I enjoy a game that the press somehow dislikes. AC: Revelations is definitely up there with Skyrim for me this year from what I've got to play so far. (Unless it gets worse.)

FStop7

Banned
The Antitype said:
Fuck me, I want a code for that Turkish armor. Why the hell is it UK exclusive, let alone retailer exclusive? Stupid.

It's not UK exclusive, it's also in Canada. There's a Canadian code for it currently on eBay and right now the bidding is up to $98. That's crazy stuff.

Beat the game last night, for some reason, I don't know if it's because the way the game ends or the failed promises with all the story revelations they promised , but despite I loved the game, I don't feel right about it at this point.

The good:

-Music, pretty good, not on the level of AC2 but better than ACB.
-Graphics, pretty solid with great textures, didn't notice any slowdowns, only some tearing on 360.
-Chapter 7 environment, pretty amazing.
-Chapter 9, frikin awesome till the last minute, another half ass cliffhanger that it's not as suprising as in the other games, it was like meh, but all the stuff before the last minute was awesome.
-Constantinople colors, architecture and atmosphere, beautiful, same that there is not more vertical stuff but it's the way the city was.
-Embers, love the story, love that the woman figure is very relevant and also loved the hint to a new moves or gameplay mechanics in combat for future games. Artstyle is great, from the technnical point of view I think it's crap.
-Less collectibles.

Indifferent:

-Hookblade in combat, ziplines: barely used it, I don't find it that useful and ziplines are pointless.
-Bombs: Don't give a shit about them, I was happy with my smoke bombs from the other games.
-Den Defense, at first it's fun and different but you barely play them if you play the game in a certain way.

The bad:

-Story, too short.
-Revelations, where are they?, some of the stuff they revealed it was well known if you follow the AC universe (not only the games).
-Last minute from the ending.
-The way the handled Lucy.
-Desmond stages, they let you play all of them too early in the game, they are cool but it feels short in content, they created this cool environments with this entertaining mechanic and it's only used in 5 stages, really?.
-Climbing sometimes fail, it happens in the other games too but I found too many places that you should be able to climb and you can't, I don't ask for perfection in this kind of game because they will need to test the game to hell and back in order to reach perfection but some stuff it's pretty obvious in important landmarks.

Overall I loved it but they hyped too much too many stuff that at the end failed or make me feel indifferent.

Sai

dwebo said:
Is there some haystack trick I'm forgetting / missing? It seemed like there were only 5 haystacks in the whole section, and only 2-3 with patrolling guards.

... I don't remember having much trouble with any perfect sync requirements in Brotherhood, and I can't even get one in the first sequence here! Bah, fuck this.
I got 3 my first time around, went back to full sync it later.

After assassinating the second guard you encounter at the fortress—the one you encounter immediately after going up the water mill—carry his body down by the carriage. Assassinate the guard that's by the hay, then when it's clear, take the body you carried down and put it next to the hay sack. The two guards that are patrolling the pathway nearby should take notice of it and investigate. That should give you three haystack kills... There are two other haystacks along the way that should be pretty obvious.

Cheska

rockman zx said:
The bad:

-Story, too short.
-Revelations, where are they?, some of the stuff they revealed it was well known if you follow the AC universe (not only the games).
-Last minute from the ending.
-The way the handled Lucy.
-Desmond stages, they let you play all of them too early in the game, they are cool but it feels short in content, they created this cool environments with this entertaining mechanic and it's only used in 5 stages, really?.
-Climbing sometimes fail, it happens in the other games too but I found too many places that you should be able to climb and you can't, I don't ask for perfection in this kind of game because they will need to test the game to hell and back in order to reach perfection but some stuff it's pretty obvious in important landmarks.

Overall I loved it but they hyped too much too many stuff that at the end failed or make me feel indifferent.

That part makes me the saddest, and I'm ultimately not looking forward to finding out more at this point if it's really that bad.

Frank

keltickennedy said:
Yeah, I wonder why they felt the need to redesign him........oh wait, I see now.
newdes.jpg

This shit is getting ridiculous.

I'm not really understanding the fuzz over Desmond's redesign and the whys mentioned (like the creative director 'putting himself' in the game...what?)

It seems to me they just upped the 'arab' look a bit, made the guy look more Middle Eastern. Which falls in nicely with 'who' Desmond is + where Revelations is taking place.

But then again I really didn't like the previous look of Desmond, not at all. So I guess it's easier for me to find some positive justification for the change...

I think it's because he looks uglier(imo). Old Desmond was alright, also, you don't need to look Arab to have Arab ancestors.

It's just a jarring change that isn't explained at all.

Played a bunch of multiplayer tonight, won every match except one. It was fun, though it was pretty annoying that people almost always vote for Deathmatch at the end... I never got to play Wanted :(
The best thing about multiplayer is I can still use the courtesan, fuck yeah!

Frank said:
I'm not really understanding the fuzz over Desmond's redesign and the whys mentioned (like the creative director 'putting himself' in the game...what?)

It seems to me they just upped the 'arab' look a bit, made the guy look more Middle Eastern. Which falls in nicely with 'who' Desmond is + where Revelations is taking place.

But then again I really didn't like the previous look of Desmond, not at all. So I guess it's easier for me to find some positive justification for the change...
It's quite common for game designers to project themselves on characters in the game.

FStop7 said:
It's not UK exclusive, it's also in Canada. There's a Canadian code for it currently on eBay and right now the bidding is up to $98. That's crazy stuff.

Yeah, I just realized that. It was a Walmart pre-order exclusive.

It would have been nice if they had bothered to advertise it around here.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It makes me happy AC doesn't have QTE crap. The presentation and music were amazing during the
Galata Tower underground
dungeon sequence and after it ended I thought about how it would have been ruined by annoying button sequence bs during the short scenes where the
floor breaks
, etc. I hope they never implement it in the following games.

K' Dash

I just got a code for Altair skin from amazon and the links to download the sountrack, but I have no use for them, so I'm giving them away to:

-The first person to post a picture of their game with proof it's yours, you know, like a piece of paper with your gaf user name on it.

I'll PM you the code and links, good luck
3AQmK.gif

Frank

Prophet Steve said:
It's quite common for game designers to project themselves on characters in the game.

We really need a written sarcasm mark for moments like this :) Can't tell if, or if.

Anyway, it seems to me Assassin's Creed is quite a huge undertaking at this moment. 5 or so studios working on Revelations, hundreds of people labouring on it, lots of eyes and checkups and whatnot aimed at creating something for a very broad audience. This franchise is one of Ubi's treasure chests.

I don't think there's room for anyone to ego-steal the show in any kind of significant way, however high they are in the production chain.

nel e nel

K' Dash said:
I just got a code for Altair skin from amazon and the links to download the sountrack, but I have no use for them, so I'm giving them away to:

-The first person to post a picture of their game with proof it's yours, you know, like a piece of paper with your gaf user name on it.

I'll PM you the code and links, good luck
3AQmK.gif

Zfk11.jpg

already got the soundtrack, would love the altair code.

LiK

For people having trouble protecting Dens: I may help, i've defended 5 times. The main thing is to have a bunch of rifleman. The more the better and use the cannon. Also try to keep spawning in a wall to protect the Den. Worked for me.

Also, you gain upgraded units after each success so you get better shit which makes it a lil easier if you get attacked again.

Daft_Cat

They talk about the Desmond redesign here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqMAKGL1DpM&feature=relmfu

In sum, it seems like they redid the model from scratch so that he wouldn't look like shit alongside the new graphical upgrades.

However, they also say they rescanned the original actors face before building it again.

So I don't know. Maybe that actor looks slightly different now.

For me he looks the same..just ...older..for some reason I thought that was the Animus making him age along with Ezio or something..but apparently it's just a ground up model.

LiK

Yea, the actor looks older or maybe gained a lil weight cuz the face is rounder. Was a bit jarring but not a huge deal. Doesn't make sense in the story since why would he have gained a beard in the Animus? Would've been cooler if he woke up and we saw him with a beard which makes sense since he was unconscious for a bit.

DaBuddaDa

The new Desmond is really, really jarring. I don't understand what they were trying to accomplish there. It looks like a completely different person altogether.

Top Bottom