• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins' Creed Shadows Sales are strong, reiterates Tom Henderson

Draugoth

Gold Member
In May, journalist and insider Tom Henderson said that pre-sales of Assassin's Creed Shadows were going very well, even before the game had received its first gameplay.

Tom Henderson decided to weigh in on the subject after Ubisoft's shares fell amid the slow release of Star Wars Outlaws, combined with the disappointing performance of XDefiant.

Tams

Mixed Martial Arts Thumbs Up GIF by UFC

Bernardougf

In May, journalist and insider Tom Henderson said that pre-sales of Assassin's Creed Shadows were going very well, even before the game had received its first gameplay.

Tom Henderson decided to weigh in on the subject after Ubisoft's shares fell amid the slow release of Star Wars Outlaws, combined with the disappointing performance of XDefiant.

I have no doubt it will sell ... achieving shareholders/studio expectations are another thing

Unless there's something tragically wrong with the game*, it will review better than every Assassin's Creed game that's come out in the last decade

2024 score-flation makes this an easy call. Feel free to bookmark.

*game is either plagued with technical issues, rushed and unfinished, or just straight up a bad game that’s not representative of trailers and other marketing materials

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Guessing most of the people who buy this game are the PS5 audience

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Some of you may want to prepare for Cope if you thought anyone was avoiding AC Shadows cause your tears lol This game was number 1 across almost every retailer when its pre-orders opened up, including Japan.

Its almost as if making a Petition activates some fucking trap card to a game doing well.

Far Cry 5
Hogwarts Legacy

lol
trump-won-woman-crying.gif
giphy.webp

Last edited:

EDMIX

Same boat. Origins was decent but overall i havent given a shit about asscreed since black flag.

I haven't cared about the IP for a while, I'd say the last few years I played more then the gens prior.

I liked AC 1, only played a bit of 2 and just moved on.

Played Black Flag at launch and liked it a lot,

didn't play Unity at launch cause a lot of the reviews (bought it years later and actually loved it, one of my favorite games last gen)

Skipped Syndicate

Skipped Origins (only bought it years later based on some recommendations and my only regret was not playing it sooner, that game had a great story with the parents seeking revenge for their kid and I loved the setting and environments)

Bought Odyssey but haven't finished it yet and currently actually playing Valhalla right now.

I can't speak much about the whole story with the sci-fi stuff as I've never really cared about any of that tbh. (I personally want them to do away with that )

From what I see, I can't tell anyone if they'll like Origins, Odyssey or Valhalla (shit I didn't even know I'd like em myself) but what I find is some gravitate to one of em so you have some like feel Odyssey is better, you have some that feel Valhalla is the best.

AC Shadows will be the first AC game I bought at launch since ACIV in 2013

Raven117

It will do just fine.

A missed opportunity to be awesome, but that’s true of almost every AC. I May pick it up on sale or something.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't know why everyone here is expecting the game to bomb. However "woke" they might've gone, it still has a massive IP attached to it. It'll be a bad game, no doubt, but I don't think they've really eroded the franchise's cachet quite yet.

EDMIX

lol Is it really that good?

TGO TGO recommended I play it, I got it on sale a while ago, but never got the chance to run thru it. I think we were talking about AC Unity being remade and the engine back then vs the current one for Shadows where we talked about it.

Does anyone know if that same trick with PS5 work with Syndicate for uncapped frames or something that works with the retail copy of Unity?

Tams

Some of you may want to prepare for Cope if you thought anyone was avoiding AC Shadows cause your tears lol This game was number 1 across almost every retailer when its pre-orders opened up, including Japan.

Its almost as if making a Petition activates some fucking trap card to a game doing well.

Far Cry 5
Hogwarts Legacy

lol
giphy.webp

I hardly care that much about it. There are plenty of other things to do.

I mean, I am sorely disappointed. I've wanted a game like this set in Japan for decades, and I love the concept of Assassin's Creed.

But recent AC games have been mediocre and this doesn't look any better, especially the combat. They've also messed up the cultural and visual authenticity far more than they needed to (having four seasons of stuff in one vista for example). And yes, the DEI woke shite has put me off too.

So, yes, I won't be buying it, at least not until it's selling for next to nothing. And that's... fine.

Last edited:

DussyPestroyer

Neo Member
What does pre-orders being strong even mean, ofc having a million in pre-orders will seem good. There is nothing that can be done to save the people who pre-order ubisoft games, for all the hype and hoopla of this game the majority of its sales will be achieved at 20-30$ like its predecessors

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
lol Is it really that good?

TGO TGO recommended I play it, I got it on sale a while ago, but never got the chance to run thru it. I think we were talking about AC Unity being remade and the engine back then vs the current one for Shadows where we talked about it.

Does anyone know if that same trick with PS5 work with Syndicate for uncapped frames or something that works with the retail copy of Unity?
Unlike Unity, Syndicate got PS4 Pro support but it's a downgrade compared to Unity.
Still the same style engine though so some parts still shine through in smaller areas
I imagine the uncapped/unpatch trick will work for frame rate unless they put a cap on it, but it'll also drop the resolution down to 900p.
Which is the biggest problem with those games, the resolution is needed for the details of those worlds otherwise it looks muddy.

EDMIX

Unlike Unity, Syndicate got PS4 Pro support but it's a downgrade compared to Unity.
Still the same style engine though so some parts still shine through in smaller areas
I imagine the uncapped/unpatch trick will work for frame rate unless they put a cap on it, but it'll also drop the resolution down to 900p.
Which is the biggest problem with those games, the resolution is needed for the details of those worlds otherwise it looks muddy.

True.

After all theses years, I hope they do a remake or remaster on current systems, cause I'd love to see those 2 games in 4k / 60fps (or frames uncapped) The texture and tessellation work on those games is underrated

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
True.

After all theses years, I hope they do a remake or remaster on current systems, cause I'd love to see those 2 games in 4k / 60fps (or frames uncapped) The texture and tessellation work on those games is underrated
I mean there's no denying they have advanced the engine and improvements was made within their grasp to have a more balanced and better performing engine for all platforms but what they did with Unity & Syndicate...it damn shame they had rethink it to be less taxing on the consoles for the time and it would be interesting where it would be now if they didn't.
A Remake/Remaster like you said @4k/60fps would make those games shine.
Especially with all the kinks ironed out and improvements to textures & hair fidelity.
And the games didn't have HDR either.
I reckon they would be amongst the better looking games this generation if they did.

Far Cry 5
Hogwarts Legacy

lol
giphy.webp

Ass Creed will be the true test to see if the anti woke mob has actual significance in affecting the sales of a product. Long running mega popular franchise where even a small size entry ( ac mirage) exceed expactations.

Ass Creed will be the true test to see if the anti woke mob has actual significance in affecting the sales of a product. Long running mega popular franchise where even a small size entry ( ac mirage) exceed expactations.
I think it will do well due to the existing fan base, which is a huge advantage it has over something like Concord.
Although I suspect initial sales will slight less than the last entry, as there will be a portion that will take a wait and see attitude, if the game is good and the WOM from players are good, then most of those people will jump back in, and the sales will be in line with the series sale figures historically. If the game ends up being not so great and WOM is meh, then it will have slightly lower sales than the series historically.

The only way this game flops is if the game is terrible, but I don't expect that as this a series with a pretty established gameplay loop, it shouldn't be that hard to duplicate it in another setting, at worst it will be just more of the same.

Osaka_Boss

Established brands barely get hurt off this kind of sutff. New IPs -aka Concord, Dustborn, Forspoken - on the other hand...

Kotaro

Amazon's AC Shadows pre-orders have been abysmal, it completely contradicts whatever Tom Henderson said.

We'll see, all this gloat by Ubisoft and their shills mean nothing, at the end of the day, accounting can't lie, it will reflect on their earning reports and stock price

They gloat about Skulls and Bones, they gloat about SW Outlaws, but they can only lie so much, their earnings stated otherwise.

ZuILywS.jpeg

7Jz9a1S.jpeg

EDMIX

Amazon's AC Shadows pre-orders have been abysmal, it completely contradicts whatever Tom Henderson said.

He means at the time it was made available for Pre-Order...

It was number 1 across the majority of retailers, including Amazon JP.

Keep in mind, what AC title the past was announced and for literally months was charting on pre-orders? So...I think he means strong for historically what they normally do. Generally when first opened up for Pre-orders you see games chart and that is what he is referring to, but if you are making some odd claim its bad cause its not charted RIGHT NOW

Ln5n4A4.jpeg

Because using your odd logic, Call Of Duty's Pre-Orders are abysmal, I mean shit, looks like Star Wars Outlaws and FINAL FANTASY I-VI Collection Anniversary is going to outsell Call Of Duty this year.

Call Of Duty currently is number #99

So...does that fucking make sense to you? lol I don't recall any fucking game, even a Call Of Duty remaining at the top 10 best sellers list...AS A PRE-ORDER FOR MONTHS! What you are trying to measure actually fucking needs historical reference to even know if its strong or not.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestselle...ames/ref=zg_bsar_pg_1_videogames?ie=UTF8&pg=1

So in order to understand if that is strong or not, you must first understand what is normal for pre-orders for this publisher in the first place. So I don't recall Valhalla showing at number 1 for pre-orders in Japan tbh

all this gloat by Ubisoft and their shills mean nothing,
? I mean, they don't fucking own Amazon, Best Buy, Target etc, so I have no clue why an objective sale suddenly would mean nothing cause you are coping over some shit with the publisher.

Dear lord, buddy you may have to factor that people have different opinions then you and will buy this game regardless of your tears, sir....even the fucking people talking against this publisher are saying they will buy the game on sale, later during black friday, next year, on discount etc.

When even those users are saying they'll buy the game, I don't know if you are going to get the result you are hoping for.

Kotaro

Just for reference here's some Amazon pre-order numbers for PS5 version at this moment

for games coming out this fall

Silent Hill 2 = 2K bought in past month
6PPtNIe.jpeg

COD: Black-Ops = 4K bought in past month
NPG2TyG.jpeg

Dragon-Age: Veilguard = 1K bought in past month
KTAGsfi.jpeg

Dragon Ball Ultimate Edition = 1K bought in past month
ZlBzgX5.jpeg

Dragon Ball Regular Edition = 500 bought in past month
IalY91z.jpeg

AC: Shadows Regular Version = 500 bought in past month
oQLafef.jpeg

AC: Shadows Gold Edition = 300 bought in past month
WRDuJNH.jpeg

PeteBull

Gold Member
I don't know why everyone here is expecting the game to bomb. However "woke" they might've gone, it still has a massive IP attached to it. It'll be a bad game, no doubt, but I don't think they've really eroded the franchise's cachet quite yet.
It wont be bomb but it definitely will sell below expectaction, it will make it to 5m copies ezpz, maybe even 10m with all the discounts, but for an AC game with few hundo m usd budget(maybe 300 maybe even 500m) it has to sell extremly good to be profitable.
Straight from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed

As of September 2019, the series had sold over 140 million copies with over 95 million players, becoming Ubisoft's best selling franchise and one of the highest selling video game franchises of all time.[294][295][296] By September 2022, total sales of the series had reached 200 million.[297]

Roberts

Ubisoft games always go on sale mere months after release so I have bought all of them for 10-30 euros (I might have bought Valhalla full price when it came out because I wanted to test next gen goodness) and I will buy this one too. For that price I was never disappointed and despite the uber bloat Odyssey might be my favorite thanks to Kassandra, who’s still on of the most fun modern video game characters.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Just for comparision, AC Valhalla by now made 1b usd in revenue.
AC:Shadows will sell at least few solid milions of copies, but no way its even close to the expectations aka previous most succesfull entries in the series.

Paasei

I always liked AC to an extent. So much potential and a good way to get an idea how the world looked in past times. I’m not in a rush getting this game.

Don’t care much for the story. Always wishes the animus would play a more pivotal role in the story. A powerful tool to look into and experience the past based on DNA. Imagine all the scheming to get your hands on an animus and someone’s DNA. Now it’s just s mass produced machine and people work to use it. Could’ve been so much more. The ancient civilisation just doest’t do it for me.

Gameplay is usually solid. Nothing advanced or bound breaking, but overall fun to play. Would like it to be more hardcore stealth one day, but we all know that’s never going to happen.

If they continue the discovery tour I’ll end up getting it once the price drops.

SJRB

Gold Member
Why would it not sell like crazy? It’s Assassin’s Creed, lol.

The controversy with this game is fringe stuff, 95% of people interested will have no clue about any of it.

StueyDuck

It's an AC game, what do people expect.

It's an established franchise with a built in audience for each game.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Why would it not sell like crazy? It’s Assassin’s Creed, lol.

The controversy with this game is fringe stuff, 95% of people interested will have no clue about any of it.
Selling like crazy for main entry of AC series means 20m copies, 10m durning launch window so before any discounts kick in.

Top Bottom