• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins' Creed Shadows Sales are strong, reiterates Tom Henderson

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
gAmdzrY.gif

kikii

was thinking to pre-order this but after i saw how SW outlaws turned out so maybe its good after few years of patches :p

Last edited:
Established brands barely get hurt off this kind of sutff. New IPs -aka Concord, Dustborn, Forspoken - on the other hand...

I would say all new ips are in trouble this gen regardless of woke or not. Even the surefire white boi leads like Immortals of Aveum and Calisto Protocol bombed. Quite a bummer gen.

Mownoc

Well Valhalla was the best selling AC game, so not too surprising. I'm not sure the game will actually be received well once it's actually out though.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Some of you may want to prepare for Cope if you thought anyone was avoiding AC Shadows cause your tears lol This game was number 1 across almost every retailer when its pre-orders opened up, including Japan.

Its almost as if making a Petition activates some fucking trap card to a game doing well.

Far Cry 5
Hogwarts Legacy

lol
trump-won-woman-crying.gif
giphy.webp

Yeah it will be the best selling AC game. My last AC was valhalla since i skipped mirage and i will play this on the Pro, hopefully day 1

BlueLyria

Tom Henderson is very respectable imo, followed him a lot for cod and bf leaks and they were 100% correct, however this one I gotta take with a grain of salt because of the timing, ubi's having a terrible week and now we hear that Ac Shadows is actually doing very well.

Honestly feels like interference from a source trying to make things look better.

From my experience AC Shadows is a game viewed with apathy, which might actually be worse than disdain

tanners

Neo Member
I'm not going buy it day one cuz just how fast ubisoft games dropping price😅 70$ @ launch and dropped to 30$ three months later. Unlike astro bot or space marine, I can wait for the time haha

bbeach123

After the mediocrity that was Valhalla, I'm done with the AC series.
Love the settings but my god , the writing and cutscene/facial animation was terrible . Dropped after 10 hours . Even though i had 40 hours with origin and 80 hours in Odyssey .

It was a really dumb idea releasing Outlaws two months before Shadows. Outlaws is a bit disappointing anyway, but having dropped £100 on an Ubi game with all the grinding etc entailed, even as an AC fan, I have little enthusiasm left for Shadows.

sainraja

I hope they are revamping the combat. They need to drop the type of combat they had Valhalla/Mirage and move on to what they had in previous, earlier entries or how they use to do it in Prince of Persia.

It`s AC (number 14?)....
They`d have to royally fuck things up to make their usual habitual buyers forego this. Having a black guy slaughter his way through feudal japan with hip hop beats in the background and calling it "historically inspired" is obviously garbage, but compared to FIFA and co which are literally copy and paste with ever more intrusive mtx options......
Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic

SJRB

Gold Member
Why? It looks worse than Outlaws.

You won't believe how many people play these games as mindless busywork.

I know people who play Valhalla just to unwind after a day's work because it's braindead button-mashing nonsense and it helps them relax. They don't give a shit about graphics or innovation or gameplay or story or bugs or glitches or skill trees and they will buy the next one no questions asked.

MMaRsu

Love the settings but my god , the writing and cutscene/facial animation was terrible . Dropped after 10 hours . Even though i had 40 hours with origin and 80 hours in Odyssey .

Its going to be exactly the same with AC Shadows.

In the video's we've seen thus far, the voice acting, animations and lip syncing was already horrid.

I wonder if they'll cast the same VA for 5 villagers again and repeat ad nauseum through the game

ThisIsMyDog

I'm gonna do so much black on asian violence, and find some twink who would want to have fun with BBC. Yasuke here we come.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I generally like AC style games (just like Tsushima) so I’m hoping they get this right. Give me fun combat, a decent gameplay loop, and a cool world to explore, and I’m happy.
I think this will do better than Mirage (which just seemed like a wet fart), but not as well as Origins.

rm082e

All the snowflake racists & weeaboos can get in a bathtub and cry together because there's a black male in their Asian video game.

The game will sell gangbusters. Huge IP.

"Gangbusters" and "like hotcakes" and "huge IP!" are all very squishy. They're not making a prediction on a specific number.

We saw last week that analysts are saying Ubisoft needs to sell 13.5 million copies of AC Shadows to make up for the lack of sales on Outlaws (they're projecting 5 million when Ubisoft expected 8 million). AC Shadows could sell 8 million copies in 6 months and the people who said things like "Gangbusters" and "like hotcakes" and "huge IP!" could look back and say "See, I was right!". Meanwhile Ubisoft would look at only 8 million copies as a failure because it was far short of their projections and needs.

What we the players consider "gangbusters" is irrelevant. What matters is how a game sells relative to what the Publisher expects/projects. A game can sell millions of copies, still not meet expectations, and the studio can be hit with layoffs or even a closure.

Personally, I don't see AC Shadows reaching 13.5 million copies in it's first year. I don't think current day Ubisoft is capable of making a new AC game that blows up bigger than their previous entries.

I don't know why everyone here is expecting the game to bomb. However "woke" they might've gone, it still has a massive IP attached to it. It'll be a bad game, no doubt, but I don't think they've really eroded the franchise's cachet quite yet.
You question others’ assumptions about the game, but your assumption has “no doubt”. Nice.

This game has a black samurai, say what ever you want but at least that makes things very interesting.

I’m actually looking forward to the game to see how the story plays out and the last ass creed game I played was AC 2.

Kacho

Gold Member
I don't doubt Shadows sells well. Brand recognition alone will carry sales to some extent. However, will it sell the same/better than Valhalla? I'm skeptical for a few reasons:
  1. The reaction to the reveal trailer was very negative. This was not the case for Valhalla four years ago.
  2. The discourse surrounding the game at launch will likely be extremely negative for being woke, having bad gameplay, bugs, and so on. This will impact sales.
  3. Valhalla sold well, but people were negative about it after launch. I think the game soured a lot of people.
  4. In general, people seem to be growing tired of Ubisoft's open world formula. All of their games have a copy/paste feel.
  5. Far Cry 6, Avatar, Star Wars Outlaws didn't set the sales charts on fire.
Time to will tell.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I don't doubt Shadows sells well. Brand recognition alone will carry sales to some extent. However, will it sell the same/better than Valhalla? I'm skeptical for a few reasons:
  1. The reaction to the reveal trailer was very negative. This was not the case for Valhalla four years ago.
  2. The discourse surrounding the game at launch will likely be extremely negative for being woke, having bad gameplay, bugs, and so on. This will impact sales.
  3. Valhalla sold well, but people were negative about it after launch. I think the game soured a lot of people.
  4. In general, people seem to be growing tired of Ubisoft's open world formula. All of their games have a copy/paste feel.
  5. Far Cry 6, Avatar, Star Wars Outlaws didn't set the sales charts on fire.
Time to will tell.
I think the same. It'll sell a shitton, but I think coming anywhere close to Valhalla's insane numbers is unlikely. I just wonder about its legs, seeing as it's the Odyssey devs. Odyssey had very strong legs even years after release, Valhalla not really.

My last AC game was 2, it was pretty good.
Same here, after playing the first 2 I felt I got all that I wanted from that type of game play, I really didn't need to play another re-skin of the same game, and the story got too convoluted for me to care.

Last edited:

knguyen

Sale strong or not, many folks will make the same mistake expecting too much from a Ubisoft's game. I'm sure the locations will look beautiful, but the game will have the same outdated, repetitive and boring gameplay. I would love to be wrong, but Ubisoft is going to Ubisoft.

mdkirby

Aside from the erm questionable choice of robbing a Japanese person of a lead character role, rewriting history and trying to pass it off as truth etc. it does look pretty fun, and he yasuke looks pretty cool. Some of the ninja combat I’ve seen looked terrible. But on aggregate it’s prob a fun game.

I don’t want to reward them with an early purchase tho, so I’ll wait for a big sale, there’s much more deserving AA and indies who better deserve day one spend.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
"Gangbusters" and "like hotcakes" and "huge IP!" are all very squishy. They're not making a prediction on a specific number.

We saw last week that analysts are saying Ubisoft needs to sell 13.5 million copies of AC Shadows to make up for the lack of sales on Outlaws (they're projecting 5 million when Ubisoft expected 8 million). AC Shadows could sell 8 million copies in 6 months and the people who said things like "Gangbusters" and "like hotcakes" and "huge IP!" could look back and say "See, I was right!". Meanwhile Ubisoft would look at only 8 million copies as a failure because it was far short of their projections and needs.

What we the players consider "gangbusters" is irrelevant. What matters is how a game sells relative to what the Publisher expects/projects. A game can sell millions of copies, still not meet expectations, and the studio can be hit with layoffs or even a closure.

Personally, I don't see AC Shadows reaching 13.5 million copies in it's first year. I don't think current day Ubisoft is capable of making a new AC game that blows up bigger than their previous entries.
This is very much true, but unfortunately a sad reality of the state of our industry where selling 8 million copies still can't net a healthy profit.

BigBeauford

He means at the time it was made available for Pre-Order...

It was number 1 across the majority of retailers, including Amazon JP.

Keep in mind, what AC title the past was announced and for literally months was charting on pre-orders? So...I think he means strong for historically what they normally do. Generally when first opened up for Pre-orders you see games chart and that is what he is referring to, but if you are making some odd claim its bad cause its not charted RIGHT NOW

Ln5n4A4.jpeg

Because using your odd logic, Call Of Duty's Pre-Orders are abysmal, I mean shit, looks like Star Wars Outlaws and FINAL FANTASY I-VI Collection Anniversary is going to outsell Call Of Duty this year.

Call Of Duty currently is number #99

So...does that fucking make sense to you? lol I don't recall any fucking game, even a Call Of Duty remaining at the top 10 best sellers list...AS A PRE-ORDER FOR MONTHS! What you are trying to measure actually fucking needs historical reference to even know if its strong or not.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestselle...ames/ref=zg_bsar_pg_1_videogames?ie=UTF8&pg=1

So in order to understand if that is strong or not, you must first understand what is normal for pre-orders for this publisher in the first place. So I don't recall Valhalla showing at number 1 for pre-orders in Japan tbh

? I mean, they don't fucking own Amazon, Best Buy, Target etc, so I have no clue why an objective sale suddenly would mean nothing cause you are coping over some shit with the publisher.

Dear lord, buddy you may have to factor that people have different opinions then you and will buy this game regardless of your tears, sir....even the fucking people talking against this publisher are saying they will buy the game on sale, later during black friday, next year, on discount etc.

When even those users are saying they'll buy the game, I don't know if you are going to get the result you are hoping for.
Man, those sub 3 million Japanese PS5 owners are gonna carry this thing TO THE MOON.

Edit: looks like it may be as high as 5.1M. Still, the Japanese market probably isn't the barometer you want to use for how well this will sell.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You question others’ assumptions about the game, but your assumption has “no doubt”. Nice.

It was a little tongue in cheek, but I think it's completely fair for me to say with certainty that it'll be bad. It's Ubisoft, which is a scarlet letter at the best of times. In recent times, their track record has been impressively consistent - they make bad games. This, too, will be bad.

tl;dr: get over it.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Just for reference here's some Amazon pre-order numbers for PS5 version at this moment

for games coming out this fall

Silent Hill 2 = 2K bought in past month
6PPtNIe.jpeg

COD: Black-Ops = 4K bought in past month
NPG2TyG.jpeg

Dragon-Age: Veilguard = 1K bought in past month
KTAGsfi.jpeg

Dragon Ball Ultimate Edition = 1K bought in past month
ZlBzgX5.jpeg

Dragon Ball Regular Edition = 500 bought in past month
IalY91z.jpeg

AC: Shadows Regular Version = 500 bought in past month
oQLafef.jpeg

AC: Shadows Gold Edition = 300 bought in past month
WRDuJNH.jpeg

That doesn't tell you over all what any of them sold btw...

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
ubi's having a terrible week and now we hear that Ac Shadows is actually doing very well.
? This was stated prior as well before Outlaws released and what does an objective sale have to do with anything you are saying?

So...if they feel pre-orders are strong based on factually it charting on many retailers when it was open for pre-order, I don't see some wild conspiracy around that, this is a massive IP and most fans seem to not care about anything regarding what some are crying over on social media.

I'm not going buy it day one cuz just how fast ubisoft games dropping price😅 70$ @ launch and dropped to 30$ three months later. Unlike astro bot or space marine, I can wait for the time haha
I've done that for years with this IP lol

This is one of the few I'm buying day 1 as I love Japan and actually really enjoyed Valhalla. So I knew 100% this would be a day 1, this would be my first day 1 purchase of the IP since AC Black Flag (i was originally not even going to get that game at launch, I recall doing it cause I heard Watchdogs 1 was delayed and cancelled my pre-order at GameStop for it and remember seeing a new AC would launch around the time PS4 released and thats how I got it day 1)

You won't believe how many people play these games as mindless busywork.
? Nothing "mindless" about it and I get folks might have differing opinions, but lets relax on trying to attack or disrespect users on here cause you dislike a game.

I'm playing any of those games same way I play any other game, its not like when I'm playing Valhalla I have the tv going, I'm doing house work and the game is on autopilot or some dumbass shit to try to demine or belittle or devalue consumers who buy the AC series, they are buying a fucking game like any other game sir, its being played like any other game

DrFigs

It's an assassin's creed game set in Japan. it was always going to do well. most people aren't that racist.

Eszti

Banned
asscreed is agulty pleasure of mine. the only ubisoft games i still play and buy. yes i bought outlaws too but i sold it immediately after finishing it so not much was lost and for 15 bucks it was okay.

BlueLyria

? This was stated prior as well before Outlaws released and what does an objective sale have to do with anything you are saying?

So...if they feel pre-orders are strong based on factually it charting on many retailers when it was open for pre-order, I don't see some wild conspiracy around that, this is a massive IP and most fans seem to not care about anything regarding what some are crying over on social media.
Mostly has to do with timing

Tomi

How much did Ubisoft payed him to say that?

This wont raise your stocks Ubi, start making quality games again, and you will see your stocks recovering, till then falling is imminent

Heard somewhere's on the net something like Outlaws actual sales are so off from their estimates that Shadows has to perform something like 6 times the best selling AC to help Ubisoft.

goodluck.png

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Assassins Creed games found it's footing in history genre, people have to recognize, Origins is going on 10 years old so the idea "why don't they give the franchise a break" is something that's written from an control freak, you don't know how many games they can make with history.

Top Bottom