• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

CHC

I was thinking maybe India. I believe British control of India started around the time that this game took place. Maybe we could get Evie and Jacob traveling to India or something (haven't finished the story yet so I'm not sure if that's plausible).

Edit: Also not sure if that time period would be interesting

I was definitely thinking British controlled India. You'd play as a
half-
Indian character fighting against the always evil British. Really cool setting which I would love to see, even if Ubisoft take their usual historical liberties. I appreciate that they are willing to explore interesting and underused periods of time.

Enough videos and ranting about enjoying Evie got me to pick this up, and wow, I AssBruv is pretty great. I loved the intro, and Evie is fantastic so far. I don't hate Jacob, but I kinda wish I could just stick to playing Evie.

Otherwise, this feels like a solid entry into the series, which maybe feels better after all the dumb stuff in Unity last year.

SJRB

Gold Member
Calling it now, "Driving Ms. Disraeli" is one of the best missions in the game. lol

I love it when these games can afford to do a silly mission like that. Reminds me of AC Revelations where you were picking flowers and getting a painting for Sofia.

Revelations also had the amazing mission where you infiltrate the palace dressed as a bard, and you sing terrible songs to people haha.

killroy87

I'm really enjoying this. My biggest beef is the complete unreliability of the grappling hook. It's incredibly picky as to when it decides that there are ledges around suitable for grappling. I took for granted how flexible the hook in Arkham Knight was, because I never feel like I can rely on this to get me out of an area in a pinch.

Rating system implemented in black flag... But somehow after three games even this shit has crap tailing missions. Come on Ubi....look at the data!!

ryseing

They should have introduced like, a smart ai character that could hide and do murder out on it's own. It would be so cool if there was a ripper a.i wondering around these Victorian streets and you somehow have to stop him.

Bet the Evie DLc wont be as cool as that.

I'm also watching From Hell as I'm typing this.

The stalkers in Rogue were somewhat similar. Would love to have that mechanic brought back.

Yoday

Rating system implemented in black flag... But somehow after three games even this shit has crap tailing missions. Come on Ubi....look at the data!!
You're never going to be completely rid of them considering tailing someone for information makes a lot of sense for an assassin. That said, after about ten hours I have seen one tailing mission that is incredibly easy. I honestly don't mind them with the improved Parkour and eagle vision. They aren't a chore like they were in past games, and I find that the newer mechanics gives that feeling of stalking someone from the rooftops that the older games never really could.

SJRB

Gold Member
The stalkers in Rogue were somewhat similar. Would love to have that mechanic brought back.

Revelations had this too. They'd sneak up on you and attack you if you didn't notice them, but they'll sort of freeze when you do.

You'd be playing and hear this very subtle whispering sound, and then you turn around and suddenly there's this guy standing a few feet behind you.

Creepy as fuck, and worked really well.

Loakum

Banned
Also what I LOVED about Assassin's Creed games, was their use of real life world events to further their story. Like for instance, when Edison stole Tesla's inventions, for monetary gain. Can ya'll imagine if Tesla's vision had been realized? Also how Thomas Edison electrocuted live animals (Elephants) to scare people from trusting in Tesla's invention (that he later stole). I could go on an on how Assassin's Creed was WAY more than wearing an hood and going stabby-stabby. It really saddens me that's exactly what AC games has devolved into.

I'm surprised they haven't done this in a segment yet.

They hinted at it in one of "The Truth" videos. AC really was groundbreaking with this stuff! I'm not joking, when I played it...I really felt like I was uncovering some hidden real truth. In a sense, that's exactly what it was.

Carbonox

I really really like Evie. Her outfit is fucking boss too. Been playing with her at every opportunity over Jacob but might - unless forced to otherwise - alternate between the two per chapter just for balance.

I feel more like a superhero in this game than any other AC game as well. Running in to an alley, putting your hood up, running around the rooftops, jumping back down in to an alley when the mission is over and coming out of sneak mode and walking out.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Really in two minds whethere to get this today. I used to love AC but I hated Unity, I completely wrote this game off but the reviews are a lot better than I was expecting.

Its such a shame that a game like this has done badly when while unity had its rough patches and the story wasn't great but there are far worse games than it.

But this game is so so much better its back to its best for me. I am really liking it and I just hope they dont see bad sales bad ideas because its not.

On another note what the fuck sony....

841smYm.jpg

Tuffty

The stalkers are the dumbest enemies in any AC game ever. You could be on a roof with them, they would stab you and they would turn and run away from you over the edge of the building willingly falling to their death.

You're never going to be completely rid of them considering tailing someone for information makes a lot of sense for an assassin. That said, after about ten hours I have seen one tailing mission that is incredibly easy. I honestly don't mind them with the improved Parkour and eagle vision. They aren't a chore like they were in past games, and I find that the newer mechanics gives that feeling of stalking someone from the rooftops that the older games never really could.

The one I had was following a cart. If you didn't get to specific checkpoints in time the AI would stop in place and not being their route again.

I would also argue that the Parkour isn't that improved. It's definitely more streamlined, but the addition of the rope launcher is nice though. I get really frustrated that some ledge jumps and wall runs don't have as smooth transitions as they did in previous games. I liked being able to input big jumps manually in Unity. Now sometimes I have to hold RT + O to make some building to building jumps. I guess they just want the players to use the rope launcher for traversing way more.

hbkdx12

As someone who's last AssCreed was black flag, i'm finding syndicate really fun and enjoyable.

I never finished black flag but my main problem was that there was the naval combat and then there was everything else and unfortunately the "everything else" wasn't as interesting or compelling as the naval stuff so once i got to a point where i was no longer sailing the seas taking down fortresses and what not, the game felt like a chore.

Syndicate feels way more unified and focused.

The concept of having two virtually interchangeable protags is interesting. But they both feel different enough that it doesn't feel gimmicky. I suppose it also helps that you can swap between them whenever assuming you prefer one over the other.

At first i wasn't too thrilled about the fact that they have the same exact skill tree but after a couple of hrs of play it's better this way as it prevents you from being shoehorned into using a specific character for a specific thing. Although Evie is posited as the more stealthy one with Jacob being the more combative

At first i was turned off by the fact that each enemy/zone has a level difficulty but after a while you realize the difficulty levels are really just suggestions (which the game does tell you) as oppose to concrete gameplay barriers which i think is a smart way to go about handling an open world like this. The difficulty levels (as far as i can tell so far) really only come into play in open combat. However, all enemies regardless of level while die instantly from a clean assassination. So if you're really methodical about being stealthy, you can certainly take down strongholds and areas that are above your current level which again is very smart because less skilled players can just avoid those areas until they level up and get further in the story but the more skilled and dedicated can still conquer those areas without feeling like they're arbitrarily locked behind a progress wall. I've conquered about half the map and i just got the rope launcher which is like the 3rd mission.

One thing that's a bit annoying is that switching from Jacob to Evie or vice versa from the pause screen causes the game to resume. A lot of times i just want to switch them just to see their skills trees or see what gear they have so the fact that i have to pause the game, switch the character, go back to the gameplay and then pause again seems a bit silly

I also find the amount of weapons to be bogged down and unnecessary. There are a ton to choose from and unless your jumping to a weapon that requires you to be at a higher level, the stat tradeoff is extremely negligible. They should have just let you choose between a standarad dagger, cane, and brass knuckles and let you constantly upgrade the base stats based on level and or crafting and then have different versions that just act as cosmetic changes.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Actually is there ever a tailing mission in Unity? I'm up to session 6 so far and not once has the game required me to do anything like that yet. Kill people, pickpocket, get collectibles, climb stuff(poorly), but no eavesdropping. I didn't even think much about its exclusion yet until this post, but now Recalling its overuse in AC3 and Black Flag, it is a real freeing to not have it.

Stranya

Actually is there ever a tailing mission in Unity? I'm up to session 6 so far and not once has the game required me to do anything like that yet. Kill people, pickpocket, get collectibles, climb stuff(poorly), but no eavesdropping. I didn't even think much about its exclusion yet until this post, but now Recalling its overuse in AC3 and Black Flag, it is a real freeing to not have it.
There are definitely a few in Unity, but not many, and they are very short. Eg you need to tail LaTouche when you first meet him, but it's easy and quick.

ogbg

I think there is one in the main story and maybe two in side missions. They obviously listened to the ratings from Black Flag.

Stat!

Loving the game so far. While I was originally skeptical of the weapons, I do like how the weapons fit the time compared to a sword. However, I do wish we had Unity's level of character customization.

Iceternal

I don't know if you agree but ..

Nights are too bright !

At the beginning I thought it was just dark weather until I looked up and saw a moon as bright as the sun.

Thye should've darkened them much more...

ryseing

The stalkers are the dumbest enemies in any AC game ever. You could be on a roof with them, they would stab you and they would turn and run away from you over the edge of the building willingly falling to their death.

I think that was a last gen AI thing.

I loved the fact that
you visit the Kenway house and how they tell you what happened in short burst but really nod it to the fans of the series.

Would have liked to see a bit more narrative payoff for finding all of the relics. Neat mission regardless.

So, between Black Flag, Far Cry 4, and Watch_Dogs, I got myself VERY burnt out on the Ubisoft Open World Game model and have since skipped all the Ubi open world games. The only open world games I've played since have been Witcher 3 and MGSV (and Witcher I only ended up playing for a few hours). How much of this is more of the same, or does Syndicate feel fresh at all?

Stat!

So, between Black Flag, Far Cry 4, and Watch_Dogs, I got myself VERY burnt out on the Ubisoft Open World Game model and have since skipped all the Ubi open world games. The only open world games I've played since have been Witcher 3 and MGSV (and Witcher I only ended up playing for a few hours). How much of this is more of the same, or does Syndicate feel fresh at all?

I didn't like Watch Dogs at all. And I never played Black Flag/FC4. To me, Unity (and syndicate so far) are on the level of GTAV in terms of open world. No other game Ive played comes to close to GTAV/Unity in terms of detail and the world being full of people.

CaLe

From about 10 hour of playtime, here's my 2 cents:

- Grapple is fun when it works. The system fights you by making it hard to grapple exactly where you want to go.
- Evie is great, her brother is annoying.
- Combat is not fun and repetitive.
- Graphics are nice, but FPS drops are still present in crowded areas. I personally don't see much of an improvement FPS-wise compared to patched Unity. London can be beautiful.
- A lot of polish bugs (tavern full of people staring into the abyss in the same direction, broken animations, weird carriages physics, etc.)
- Missions range from fun to typical AC.
- You will still struggle with parkour in close quarter areas or when there's multiple hanging options around you. Going exactly where you want is an exercise in patience.

Story-wise, I can't review it yet as I haven't finished the game.

Overall, it's not my game of the year, but it's not the worst I played this year either. Would I recommend it at full price ? No.

From about 10 hour of playtime, here's my 2 cents:

- Grapple is fun when it works. The system fights you by making it hard to grapple exactly where you want to go.
- Evie is great, her brother is annoying.
- Combat is not fun and repetitive.
- Graphics are nice, but FPS drops are still present in crowded areas. I personally don't see much of an improvement FPS-wise compared to patched Unity.
- A lot of polish bugs (tavern full of people staring into the abyss in the same direction, broken animations, weird carriages physics, etc.)
- Missions range from fun to typical AC.
- You will still struggle with parkour in close quarter areas or when there's multiple hanging options around you. Going exactly where you want is an exercise in patience.

Story-wise, I can't review it yet as I haven't finished the game.

Overall, it's not my game of the year, but it's not the worst I played this year either. Would I recommend it at full price ? No.

I see what you're saying about the frame rate but the rest I disagree with

CaLe

I see what you're saying about the frame rate but the rest I disagree with

Well, opinions are subjective. I have a hard time believing someone could enjoy this combat or the parkour in close quarters, but as I said, it's all subjective.

Let's agree to disagree, opinions on this game are a mixed bag of "Best since AC2" to "Ugh."

Top Bottom