• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

I really don't like Assassin's Creed series. I find them tedious and boring, like most of the Ubisoft games. The last game that I've found the strenght to finish was Revelations. After that, it was a case of forcing myself to play the games for 5 or 6 hours and never returning back.

But Syndicate... Oh man, I would never have guessed that I would LOVE this game!

Setting, characters, side missions and London are amazing! I am really glad that I picked this game, actually it was a case of me getting carried away. I am currently living in the UK for my education and I was hyped about the Victorian London (which I'll be visiting next week) and the UK general. I said to myself, "Eh fuck it I'll buy it," That was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I just hate the Ubisoft's open-world style of slicing the city into parts and making you open these parts via synch points and then conquer each part of the city by one by. Although when playing Syndicate I am just baffled by the detail that Ubisoft put into the city. I am just taking my time, enjoying this amazing virtual world. Now I am really pumped up about going to London and seeing all these historical places!

Oh and I am loving the murder mysteries, they offer a really different type of gameplay, similiar to Witcher 3's dedective sense missions.
Nice impressions and all but I am curious why you bought Syndicate in the first place if you dislike the Ubisoft formula so much... You like to burn money?

Nice impressions and all but I am curious why you bought Syndicate in the first place if you dislike the Ubisoft formula so much... You like to burn money?

He got it because he was hyped by the setting which seems to be the case for a lot of people, myself included.

Edit: Bah...

I dislike the Ubisoft formula as well, but for some reason I love it in this, probably because it makes me explore more of the city and god I love exploring this city.

This is a first for the series as well isn't it?

AC Rogue has female enemies as some of the hiding assassins. Guards are still all male though, probably for historical accuracy.

Somehow they even did it on the PS3, where a Naughty Dog guy said there's not enough memory for female enemies.

JoshHood

The (seriously spoilers)
World War 1
section is really cool.

Fuck, had finished the game so didn't think much of clicking this, but hadn't seen this yet. Womp.

AC Rogue has female enemies as some of the hiding assassins. Guards are still all male though, probably for historical accuracy.

Somehow they even did it on the PS3, where a Naughty Dog guy said there's not enough memory for female enemies.

The Bioshock series has had male and female enemies since the beginning.

Out of interest, without spoilers is the ending garbage? I am loving it so seeing the ending be garbage will be disheartning.

The fact this OT is slow as hell makes me sad as this AC is fantastic and I bet the sales will deem it a flop :(

Ralemont

not me
Out of interest, without spoilers is the ending garbage? I am loving it so seeing the ending be garbage will be disheartning.

The fact this OT is slow as hell makes me sad as this AC is fantastic and I bet the sales will deem it a flop :(

I'm very excited to play this, but Best Buy fucked up when I tried to preorder for the GCU $10 cert, so now I'm waiting for Black Friday. I imagine a lot of people have been conditioned to wait for BF deals when it comes to AC.

Toa TAK

Banned

Ending is good fun. Unless you mean modern day, then it's just more of the same. But even then it's not enough to call it crap. Syndicate is heartwarming fun.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Ending is good fun. Unless you mean modern day, then it's just more of the same. But even then it's not enough to call it crap. Syndicate is heartwarming fun.

So the series' overarching story is still meandering from game to game? There have been 4 games since AC3's ending and they still haven't gone anywhere with the storyline.

Setsuna

I dislike the Ubisoft formula as well, but for some reason I love it in this, probably because it makes me explore more of the city and god I love exploring this city.

The "Ubisoft Forumla" doesn't mean anything because it has nothing to do with actual game play systems of each individual game

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
all available collectibles collected, all territories captured, all available side missions done, Max level....time to actually start sequence 4 I guess

Level 10 in sequence 6, super OP. Still have some stuff to find. Glad that the hate train finally stopped after this game's release and it got good reviews, because holy shit the threads were full of confirmation bias and hostility.

Setsuna

Level 10 in sequence 6, super OP. Still have some stuff to find. Glad that the hate train finally stopped after this game's release and it got good reviews, because holy shit the threads were full of confirmation bias and hostility.

Lurking GAF without being able to speak must have been torture

Brass Knuckles + Evie= The Boss
latest

KiraXD

Target is having a crazy liquidation sale of AC Unity displayed with Syndicate.

you can get it for $9.99 in-store until the 31st. There was a display up at the front of my store with Syndicate and Unity. but they didnt have any more... iono i price matched with toysrus though with a picture of the tag if anyone is interested of jumping in Unity before Syndicate... 10$ is pretty good price for a mostly patched Unity (im having more fun than i wes led to believe it would be anyway)

Well Unity was set in France... but I figured that sales would be off. Not sure if the same happened between AC3 and AC4, but I know Black Flag seemed to have legs off the good word of mouth...

I think the main problem was the lost of trust from the fans regarding Unity's catastrophic launch (and a loooot of bad publicity). So it stuck in people's mind. The setting doesn't play that much of a role in sales here, IMO.

Add to that an AC fatigue that becomes more real every year and... there it is.

oh shit. Welcome back! You missed people actually talking positively about assassins creed haha

one of these ps4 exclusive murder mystery thing is so awesome. Its pretty much a spoof of one of my favorite movies
sweeney Todd. It takes place on Fleet Street. There is a barber named Feeney Sodd. Also a character you interrogate named Joanna.

Today I did a Charles Dickens mission and I was like that: "what a fucking bug is this? Holy shit ubi". But then I finally realize what happened... never experienced something like this in AC. So cool.

The investigation missions are also too good to be true.

The investigation missions are very enjoyable so far. Completed four of them so far--they're a nice change of pace to do some detective work rather than stabbing numerous people in the jugular for the good of London! I actually jotted down the clues, locations of them and suspects on paper to help make accurate accusations. Good stuff

Ghost23

Does this game bring back those awesome tomb levels in AC2? I haven't played an AC game since Black Flag and haven't enjoyed one since Brotherhood. How does this game improve from the most recent entries in the franchise?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question -

I'm on sequence 4 and have finished memories 1-4 and can play memory 6 but memory 5 is locked. I prefer to play the memories in order but wanted to know if I have to play memory 6 in order to unlock memory 5?

Any help would be grateful. Thanks.

The relationship between Evie and Henry is so frikin awful, is like it was written by a 12 year old girl, I wonder what is going to happen by the end of the game, starting sequence 9 right now. Game is awesome by the way.

SJRB

Gold Member
The relationship between Evie and Henry is so frikin awful, is like it was written by a 12 year old girl, I wonder what is going to happen by the end of the game, starting sequence 9 right now. Game is awesome by the way.

Yeah I'm not feeling it either, feels too forced.

Still working my way through sequence 4 but enjoying it so far.

As expected I'm not really a fan of driving carriages but aside from that everything else has been pretty great.

Eggbok

Personally this has been the best Assassin's Creed in a long time. (I didn't finish 4)
I've already beaten the game and kinda sad that I have because I've enjoyed my time with it.
Almost have the platinum trophy as well, maybe 4 or 5 trophies off I think. Well played Ubisoft, well played.
Just months ago I had already written this game off, had no plan to buy it or even play it but I'm glad I did.

Anko

How old is Henry anyway? Didn't he know their father? If he did then he can't be that young.

Anyway, they didn't need to give Evie a love interest...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How old is Henry anyway? Didn't he know their father? If he did then he can't be that young.

Anyway, they didn't need to give Evie a love interest...
Henry is 25. And since their factor seemed to have been a master assassin, a lot of people knew him.

Dmax3901

I'm enjoying it, which says more about how bad Unity was than anything else. The horse and carriages are beyond fucking stupid however. Its just like they decided they had to have it in the game regardless of how silly and not-fun it is. It's also weird you can't ride a horse on its own like in some of the SUPER early games in the series. That's actually something I think with every new AC game I play, they somehow manage to complicate or straight-up remove elements that have always worked and then throw in a bunch of new stuff that is borked or uninteresting.

It's so confusing. As I said I am enjoying Syndicate way more than Unity, but that's only because it manages to capture the very basic elements of a good game.

I really wish they'd scrap everything and go back to square one. New engine, new characters, new modern story (or no modern story), new gameplay. Just start from scratch.

But I guess the all ighty ollar wins out.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm so glad they added the multikills & executions back.
Anyone else had fights on multiple carriages yet, so awesome!

I'm enjoying it, which says more about how bad Unity was than anything else. The horse and carriages are beyond fucking stupid however. Its just like they decided they had to have it in the game regardless of how silly and not-fun it is. It's also weird you can't ride a horse on its own like in some of the SUPER early games in the series. That's actually something I think with every new AC game I play, they somehow manage to complicate or straight-up remove elements that have always worked and then throw in a bunch of new stuff that is borked or uninteresting.

It's so confusing. As I said I am enjoying Syndicate way more than Unity, but that's only because it manages to capture the very basic elements of a good game.

I really wish they'd scrap everything and go back to square one. New engine, new characters, new modern story (or no modern story), new gameplay. Just start from scratch.

But I guess the all ighty ollar wins out.

Ubisoft need to trash all this assassin vs templar bullshit and start over with a Doctor Who esque structure: time travelling and a fresh story every time.

Setsuna

Ubisoft need to trash all this assassin vs templar bullshit and start over with a Doctor Who esque structure: time travelling and a fresh story every time.

Seems pointless because you would just end up with what assassins creed is now, or end up with a game thats completely different

I agree that driving the carriages doesn't feel great. But I've made my own fun of it.

1. Constantly be hitting the "whip the horse to go faster" button.
  2. Constantly be hitting the "ram the carriage beside you" button.
  3. (Optional): Constantly be saying "Get the hell out of my way!" and laughing as you do it.
It's hilarious because eventually, horses and carriages are flying everywhere (the physics and hit detection isn't great) and no one can really stop you.

Ralemont

not me
The love story isn't so much of a problem, it's the fact that it was horribly, horribly, developed.

Is the story about the love story? If not, it doesn't need to be developed. Seems more like a connecting point to explain the "secret" level. Correct me if wrong.

Top Bottom