• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Toa TAK

Banned
Er, is the story about the love story? If not, it doesn't need to be developed. Seems more like a connecting point to explain the "secret" level. Correct me if wrong.

The secret level isn't really connected to Evie, though.
It's Jacob's grandkid, not Evie's.

And yeah, it would be nice for a game series that's up it's own ass about the story to tell a good one. Subplots within the game, included.

Ralemont

not me
The secret level isn't really connected to Evie, though.
It's Jacob's grandkid, not Evie's.

That's good to know, thanks.

And yeah, it would be nice for a game series that's up it's own ass about the story to tell a good one. Subplots within the game, included.

I'm not sure they could have done it in a satisfying fashion without turning it into something larger than a minor subplot. BioWare games get away with it because the romance is essentially another role-playing choice.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm not sure they could have done it in a satisfying fashion without turning it into something larger than a minor subplot. BioWare games get away with it because the romance is essentially another role-playing choice.

They did it well in Revelations for something as simple as it was. It's not like their courtship had much depth to it either. An easy fix would've been that instead of locking the colors behind the flowers, every 5 you would return to Henry for a mission for XP, or just another cutscene to develop that story.

There isn't any excuse for something like this. Saying that something "doesn't need to be developed" is short for "It wasn't needed to begin with."

Ralemont

not me
They did it well in Revelations for something as simple as it was. It's not like their courtship had much depth to it either. An easy fix would've been that instead of locking the colors behind the flowers, every 5 you would return to Henry for a mission for XP, or just another cutscene to develop that story.

Well...I thought it was rather dull in Revelations, but I thought everything about Revelations's story was pretty poor so I probably wasn't in a receptive mood. Still, if I had to choose between being something being boring and something being underdeveloped, I'll take the latter every time.

Toa TAK

Banned
Well...I thought it was rather dull in Revelations, but I thought everything about Revelations's story was pretty poor so I probably wasn't in a receptive mood. Still, if I had to choose between being something being boring and something being underdeveloped, I'll take the latter every time.

And that's why video games will continue to have crap stories. No one is asking for any better that what we're receiving.

There isn't any excuse for something like this. Saying that something "doesn't need to be developed" is short for "It wasn't needed to begin with."

I thought the love story thing was mostly just a device to establish another trope both leads were dealing with that the Assassin's and their father previously warned them about. For Jacob it was being rash and not seeing the bigger picture. For Evie it was not letting feelings get in the way of the mission.

I'm glad the romance didn't take more of a center stage. Have you done all of Henry's side missions? That develops things a little more.

Ralemont

not me
And that's why video games will continue to have crap stories. No one is asking for any better that what we're receiving.

Screen time has nothing to do with quality. Besides that, I don't know how you got from my post that I wasn't asking for better quality. I was suggesting that a subplot that overstays its welcome is far worse than an underdeveloped one.

Toa TAK

Banned
I thought the love story thing was mostly just a device to establish another trope both leads were dealing with that the Assassin's and their father previously warned them about. For Jacob it was being rash and not seeing the bigger picture. For Evie it was not letting feelings get in the way of the mission.

I'm glad the romance didn't take more of a center stage. Have you done all of Henry's side missions? That develops things a little more.
I did, it does a little more but not enough for it to not feel like an afterthought or that it was poorly done. A few looks here and there doesn't feel like it's enough for
a full blown proposal at the end.
Screen time has nothing to do with quality. Besides that, I don't know how you got from my post that I wasn't asking for better quality. I was suggesting that a subplot that overstays its welcome is far worse than an underdeveloped one.

It doesn't even overstay it's welcome, it's barely there and it's so hard to buy at the end of it.

Ralemont

not me
It doesn't even overstay it's welcome, it's barely there and it's so hard to buy at the end of it.

I was talking about Revelations. Beyond that, though, I'm not really bothered by romance being a sudden development, and it has little to do with low expectations. Romance being sudden is something with a long precedent in any type of fiction.

I'm at a disadvantage here, since I haven't played Syndicate yet, so I'm mostly talking in generalities. Still, I think the implementation of romance is an underdiscussed subject, or at least one that's poorly discussed.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm at a disadvantage here, since I haven't played Syndicate yet, so I'm mostly talking in generalities. Still, I think the implementation of romance is an underdiscussed subject, or at least one that's poorly discussed.

Wait--what?

When you play Syndicate, I'd be more than happy to continue this convo. I don't want to go on spoiling anything (even if it's marked). :)

Spikain

A website I work for has a few comparison shots of Syndicate's London and 2015 London. It might be worth its own thread but since I can't create threads, feel free to steal the idea and make one.

An example below, more here.

londyn5a_bzwmt.jpg

londyn5b_bzwmt.JPG

How's the EXP curve in this game? I see you get a boost if you buy the season pass, but I got the PC version for free with my graphics card, so I won't buy DLC yet until I try the game out.

Is the EXP balanced towards not having the season pass or having it?

Toa TAK

Banned
How's the EXP curve in this game? I see you get a boost if you buy the season pass, but I got the PC version for free with my graphics card, so I won't buy DLC yet until I try the game out.

It's balanced, no problem. If you just play the game and so the side stuff here and there, ranking for the missions won't be a problem.

I've had no problems with xp, I've been doing a mix of side missions and main story, I'm on sequence 7 now and don't feel over or underpowered at all.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, this just happened.
(man, that's an ugly looking screenshot. I've no idea why :/)
I've encountered a handful of bugs after around ten hours of playing, but they were mostly funny. Two required a checkpoint restart, which was a bit annoying.

Darwin
sounds a bit too young, or is that just me?

anytime I fast travel to the train, Jacob says something like "A letter...for me?". Or Evie will say something like "A letter..for Jacob". Why have they been saying this almost the whole game anytime I go to the train? I swear I have walked back and forth through the train looking for some kind of letter, but I dont see anything.

zweifuss

A website I work for has a few comparison shots of Syndicate's London and 2015 London. It might be worth its own thread but since I can't create threads, feel free to steal the idea and make one.

An example below, more here.

londyn5a_bzwmt.jpg

londyn5b_bzwmt.JPG

If only the game looked as good as the artwork (which your website is comparing), this game would be quite something impressive!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
anytime I fast travel to the train, Jacob says something like "A letter...for me?". Or Evie will say something like "A letter..for Jacob". Why have they been saying this almost the whole game anytime I go to the train? I swear I have walked back and forth through the train looking for some kind of letter, but I dont see anything.
You can start seq 8 after capturing 3 boroughs.

RedAssedApe

Banned

its related to sequence 8 getting unlocked on the assassin board

Toa TAK

Banned
oh ok. Is there a reason why you would want to do it now and not play through the game normally?

That sequence is so disconnected from the main story it can fit anywhere. If you want to play it early, you won't miss a thing from the other sequences.

Also, quick notice, it's a Jacob only sequence.

I was playing this last night (currently loving it by the way) and was thinking about where the series could go next. I thought of something I would love to see which would be really different to what we have seen so far. A shorter more focused game set on the Titanic. It was just a random idea at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think there is potential for a great game. There was many different areas within the Titanic such as engine rooms, the deck, upper class dining areas, working class quarters, etc. Plus the deck would offer some free running opportunities. It would be really cool if they started the game with an Assassin being sent to investigate a group of templars transporting a piece of eden on the the titanic. You could take part in a bunch of cool side missions, maybe murder mysteries, and then half way through, the titanic could begin to sink gradually, causing the player to have to swim through semi sunken corridors, escape different rooms etc. Maybe the game could just be a short one, half the length and content of a regular instalment, release it sometime in the summer for a change. Maybe do it a part of a series of smaller, shorter AC experiences.

That sequence is so disconnected from the main story it can fit anywhere. If you want to play it early, you won't miss a thing from the other sequences.

Also, quick notice, it's a Jacob only sequence.

ah ok. I am assuming that is
world war 1 then? I knew before the game came out, but even the collectible menu spoils it lol

Kin5290

Holy Christ, Evie's Knife Master II trait basically puts an unsurvivable quick throw radius for any enemy not a few levels higher than you or a brute archetype.

SlickVic

Had a weird issue playing yesterday that I'm not sure is specifically game related or some general PS4 issue. I booted the game back up from rest mode and a few minutes later the game freezes and system hard locks requiring me to restart the system. When I attempt to restart the game afterwards it sits on the epilepsy warning intro screen a good 5 minutes before the Ubi logo starts with some severe stuttering. It seemed like a disc streaming issue though that didn't make sense when the game is installed. Didn't have any other disc based game to try but I tried some downloaded games that worked perfectly. I then reset the system again and this time the game loaded up fine without any stuttering issues and no problems since.

It's a new system but not quite sure what happened. Hope it isn't some hardware issue with the disc drive, though odd it's been working fine otherwise.

Had a weird issue playing yesterday that I'm not sure is specifically game related or some general PS4 issue. I booted the game back up from rest mode and a few minutes later the game freezes and system hard locks requiring me to restart the system. When I attempt to restart the game afterwards it sits on the epilepsy warning intro screen a good 5 minutes before the Ubi logo starts with some severe stuttering. It seemed like a disc streaming issue though that didn't make sense when the game is installed. Didn't have any other disc based game to try but I tried some downloaded games that worked perfectly. I then reset the system again and this time the game loaded up fine without any stuttering issues and no problems since.

It's a new system but not quite sure what happened. Hope it isn't some hardware issue with the disc drive, though odd it's been working fine otherwise.

That happened to me over the weekend too, I did a full reboot and it's been fine since.

bryanee

I had a real fucking need to play this today...there wasn't anywhere to get it at 7pm near me sooooo I figured I'd use Amazon Prime Now considering I signed up yesterday....Two hours later annnd

Prime Now is godly. Time to get stuck in.

Bought this on a whim after hearing good things, so glad I did! Love it so far, but haven't played AC since 3.

Like Peaks Blinders: The Game. With more climbing.

So I've been wondering....this is 1868 London but where are all the penny-farthings ?

Interesting fact, they were never referred by that name until after they fell out of use. They were originally referred to as high-wheelers, as an alternative to traditional bicycles. But they only came into use in the late 70s and fell out of use about a decade later. So just a bit late for this game.

Not very far into the game (just got the rope launcher) but I'm loving it.

Taking over districts has a real Saints Row feel to it. Bringing the lead designer of that series' best two games on as director was a great choice.

Ghost23

I'm afraid I'll get bored of this game after 10 hours or so like all the recent AC games. I really want to enjoy another game like AC2 though. Is there anyone who hasn't liked any of the mainline games since AC2/Brotherhood that could give me their impressions on this one?

nOoblet16

Interesting fact, they were never referred by that name until after they fell out of use. They were originally referred to as high-wheelers, as an alternative to traditional bicycles. But they only came into use in the late 70s and fell out of use about a decade later. So just a bit late for this game.
Well another interesting fact, they were called ordinary and it wasn't until the 1880s that the "safety bicycle" (the ones we use today) were introduced. :p

Nori Chan

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CShdX4AWUAENl0D.png:large[IMG]

Well I completely finished Syndicate, it was a fun ride!
Hopefully they continue being this enjoyable![/QUOTE]

Congrats! I have yet to 100% an AC game since REV. Still need to do 3, unity, black flag, and china lol

this too of course

Eggbok

jesus...you platinum-ed it in a week? how many hours? lol

Maybe like 20-30 hours for the platinum, it's probably the easiest game in the series to get all trophies for tbh.

Congrats! I have yet to 100% an AC game since REV. Still need to do 3, unity, black flag, and china lol

this too of course

I managed to get the platinums for II and Revelations before. I was working on Unity before Syndicate released but it's really not worth it lol. There is a trophy for opening every chest in the game I believe and the map is like drowned with them! That's probably why I went for the Syndicate plat because the collectibles are very manageable.

Top Bottom