• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Venom Fox

Banned
It appears that Syndicate is a lot better than expected based the impressions from Gaf, right? If I wasn't the biggest fan of Unity, how likely would I not like Syndicate? I'm really trying to figure the difference between Unity and this besides the settings, grappling hook and using two characters.
I hated Unity with a passion, yet I love this, it's my second favourite AC behind BF.

leng jai

So I'm returning this and hoping that the PC port is good. I definitely like the game but the framerate is a bit annoying. I'm still miffed at how many reports of solid 30fps there are even on this forum, but to me it feels like spends half the time around 25. "Driving" in particular is pretty much never at 30 and feels terrible. I'm not sure why I seemed to be extra annoyed by it in this game but it might be because the last few games I've played have all been 60fps (UC Remastered, Halo 5, Forza 6, Transformers).

if there wasn't a PC version I'd keep the game because I actually like it quite a bit.s

ogbg

those dont show up on the map unless you are very close and scan it with eagle vision...there is also not an in-game map to buy for them. I had to watch a video on youtube for locations

Did you not use the london secrets section in the progress tracker? It gives you a picture of each location from which you have to work out where it is. It's quite easy mostly but it was fun.

SlickVic

Doing successful counters on some of the gang bosses and more prominent enemies of the game has been quite challenging for me. If I keep attacking them until the yellow warning comes up, I often miss the window and they take off a significant chunk of health. I guess the next upgrade I need to get is the one that increases that counter window because I'm just too slow to react.

witness

I'm enjoying this game so much, up there with AC2 and Brotherhood. Have to finish to see how it stacks up. It might be the most pleasantly surprising AAA game this year. I hope it's selling well because its really good. It's the perfect palette cleanser for Halo 5.

Alienous

This game controls awfully. 30fps, and the clunky movement doesn't help.

Not even an hour in yet but I'll be surprise if I can have fun in spite of that.

EDIT:
An hour in, and this is terrible. It looks muddy, the controls are naff, the stealth is borked. What's going on, GAF? So many of you said this was good.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This game controls awfully. 30fps, and the clunky movement doesn't help.

Not even an hour in yet but I'll be surprise if I can have fun in spite of that.

EDIT:
An hour in, and this is terrible. It looks muddy, the controls are naff, the stealth is borked. What's going on, GAF? So many of you said this was good.

They are just smitten by Evie.

I'm enjoying this game so much, up there with AC2 and Brotherhood. Have to finish to see how it stacks up. It might be the most pleasantly surprising AAA game this year. I hope it's selling well because its really good. It's the perfect palette cleanser for Halo 5.

I'm waiting on the PC version, so all I can do is read comments like this one.

It's interesting because from afar this looks like an ordinary Assassin's Creed game. Yet the vast majority of people posting about the game are doing so favourably. It's further evidence that games are more than the sum of their parts.

Alienous

So hour 2, and this game sucks.

The combat is awful. It's like the Arkham games sans any fluidity.

The artificial difficulty is shit. "Oh, this dude's level 2, so he deals a lot of damage and you do shit". Yeah, I guess that's one way around designing difficult combat scenarios.

When does the game pick up? I'm just about to start the first Gang War.

Also, the frame-rate stinks and the parkour feels off. It's like there's a half-a-second delay before all the free running actions.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So hour 2, and this game sucks.

The combat is awful. It's like the Arkham games sans any fluidity.

The artificial difficulty is shit. "Oh, this dude's level 2, so he deals a lot of damage and you do shit". Yeah, I guess that's one way around designing difficult combat scenarios.

When does the game pick up? I'm just about to start the first Gang War.

Also, the frame-rate stinks and the parkour feels off. It's like there's a half-a-second delay before all the free running actions.
Gameplay picks up right after the first gang war as that's where the tutorials end. The one level higher than you difficulty also gets alleviated as you play the game and get better gear.

SliChillax

Ubisoft Kiev did not do Watch Dogs PC. FC4 was everything but abysmal on my PC so I'm not pessimistic for Syndicate.

I'm still having issues with Far Cry 4. Game keeps crashing all the time, field of view keeps getting reset to the lowest value and stuttering is awful. I have a 980ti for gods sake I shouldn't be experiencing stuttering.

I have been enjoying the game so far, and it has been great to have the chance to explore London. However:

* I do not like the new traversal system. I skipped the last game so this is my first experience of it, and I think it is a definite downgrade.

* the lack of variety for the models used for enemies is shocking for a game released in late 2015. There is only 3-4 different enemy types and it looks ridiculous, now that they are supposed to be gang members rather than soldiers. How hard would it have been to create a few more skins?

* after collecting cool sea-shanties in AC IV the collectibles in this game feel kind of "budget".

Kezen

Banned
I'm still having issues with Far Cry 4. Game keeps crashing all the time, field of view keeps getting reset to the lowest value and stuttering is awful. I have a 980ti for gods sake I shouldn't be experiencing stuttering.
Sorry to hear that, I've not crashed on single time in 30 hours. Stuttering is unavoidable in this game, but on my end it's extremely subtle like when the game saves for instance. Definitely not bothersome.

I have no idea what's causing it in your case, possibly a driver issue. More exotic setups are much more likely to be impacted, keep that in mind.

Hmm, interesting posts.
Just sharing my experience, not implying no one is experiencing performance issues.
For me, Far Cry 4 ran very well even at launch, there was stuttering while gliding in my case (and it has not been 100.000% eliminated) but performance has never been an issue.
780 at the time. Same for Unity which I was genuinely surprised to see running so well.
Amazing visuals/fps ratio from where I'm standing.

As a direct result I'm very much looking forward Syndicate on PC, ported by Ubisoft Kiev.

Oni Jazar

I'm very early on but one of the things that really bug me is the input lag. Coming from MGSV this feels like I'm running underwater. I'm wondering if the PC release will fix this.

Jobbs

Banned
Was watching my brother play this on PS4 and I have to say I was impressed by the game. It looks really nice. I might try it if I have the time/energy.

Hupsel

Combat is indeed terrible. And so, soooo easy. Its way better to just kill everything in sight than try to be stealthy. They still have not learned how to do a proper combat system after so many games.

Combat is indeed terrible. And so, soooo easy. Its way better to just kill everything in sight than try to be stealthy. They still have not learned how to do a proper combat system after so many games.

You're right - but combat has never been the main draw for me.

I play these games chiefly to explore the city, or game world, and to learn about my assassin. If the city or world doesn't enthral me then the game just isn't going to hold my attention.

Truth be told, no assassin, so far, has completely won me over - not even Ezio. I've yet to finish any Assassin's Creed game except for the first, and I own them all.

Maybe if Ubisoft did focus more on the combat, I'd stay longer? How about this: the world creation of an Assassin's Creed game, with the combat of Dark Souls. Doh!

PowderedToast

they removed quite a lot of manual control from freerunning, most dangerous jumps are completely locked off and you can't manually jump anymore unless the distance meets the criteria. a shame that ubi felt the need to do this

also I wish you could turn off the zipline prompt :-(

Kezen

Banned
You would have a point if far cry 4 and watch dogs weren't fine at launch

Well both were pretty stuttery, especially Watch Dogs. Was fixed afterwards though, and today both games run very well on my system.

I actually liked both of them too, but I would not consider either to be essential work of this gaming era.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I'm on Sequence 9 and still haven't unlocked 3 of the associate activities in the progress log. Did this glitch out on me or did I miss something? I think I heard one of them unlocks after you finish the game, but what about the other two?

No glitch. 3 of them actually unlock when you visit a particular "mission area". Won't spoil it for you here.

Crossing Eden

they removed quite a lot of manual control from freerunning, most dangerous jumps are completely locked off and you can't manually jump anymore unless the distance meets the criteria. a shame that ubi felt the need to do this

also I wish you could turn off the zipline prompt :-(
This is my main gripe with the movement in Syndicate, they made it more responsive than Unity, but removed a lot of the manual control. So stuff like making a manual jump across a distance and catching yourself is not longer possible. On the other hand, falling to your death is now super hard to do. :/

Najaf

When it shows the Y prompt during combat when you are about to get shot, what ma I supposed to do there? Y does not appear to do anything and I'm just getting shot left and right.

Crossing Eden

When it shows the Y prompt during combat when you are about to get shot, what ma I supposed to do there? Y does not appear to do anything and I'm just getting shot left and right.
Depending on what you have equipped you'll counter with weapon or dodge.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Press Y and you'll dodge. If you double tap Y, you'll dodge and counter with your ranged weapon (depending on what you have equipped)

Did you not use the london secrets section in the progress tracker? It gives you a picture of each location from which you have to work out where it is. It's quite easy mostly but it was fun.

Yeah I looked at one and it was fucking stupid and annoying. Why waste time when I can just get a map online

So I just completed the main storyline and unlocked the queens missions but I have yet to
have a modern day story glitch like in unity etc. How do I get those?

So I just completed the main storyline and unlocked the queens missions but I have yet to
have a modern day story glitch like in unity etc. How do I get those?

far right side of the map, should be an icon in the middle somewhere...I didnt know it was there either till a friend told me.

Alienous

Why is there a half-second pause before I climb anything? The transition from running into wall-climbing doesn't seem right in this, and I can't remember having that issue with Unity.

WeTeHa

Is there a consistent way to pull of multi-counter kills, or do I always have to wait until 2 enemies attack at the same time?

Smokey

Got the game from Gamefly. Completed Memory Sequence 2 and now I am trying to clear the first burrough. Could someone explain to me how the Associate thing works? I think it was covered, but I had people talking to me irl so I think I missed it.

Crossing Eden

Got the game from Gamefly. Completed Memory Sequence 2 and now I am trying to clear the first burrough. Could someone explain to me how the Associate thing works? I think it was covered, but I had people talking to me irl so I think I missed it.

Associates are characters that you meet in the world. Characters like Charles Dickens or Alexander Graham Bell have questlines.

Top Bottom