• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

I haven't really investigated it yet, but I was mid-sequence-4 a couple hours ago and I got a notification that sequence 8 was ready to start. Guess I'm ahead of the curve on side stuff? Regardless, i haven't enjoyed one of these this much in ages. I loved Black Flag but I have to put this ahead of it as the best since Brotherhood, and third best overall. (Assuming it doesn't massively fuck up in the back half.)

Just finished up sequence 4, and I'm starting to get kind of intrigued by the present day stuff... hesitant to get my hopes up as I've definitively learned my lesson after AC3, but [post sequence 4 speculation]
they've now mentioned (the previously mostly-unmentioned) Desmond in the same breath as the Shroud resurecting people...

what is the last slot in the London Stories section in the progress tracker? Something you unlock after the main story? I am on the last mission in sequence 9 right now and it is still a question mark

Dominator

Only on Sequence 5, I'm really taking my time with it. This game is great, I've solidified it lol. Unless the story literally crumbles, its still top 3 AC to me.

Will probably beat it over the weekend along with Halo, in time for NFS and COD next week.

what is the last slot in the London Stories section in the progress tracker? Something you unlock after the main story? I am on the last mission in sequence 9 right now and it is still a question mark

yes, a 4 step mission series that unlocks after you beat the game. Sort of an epilogue, fully voiced/cut scened.

I thought the last two sequences (8 and 9) were fairly longish, took me 4-5 hours but I was going for plat so had to repeat bits a few times to get all the challenges done.

100% get...fully completed every assassins creed to date

P8DkCIO.jpg

Syndicate lives up the quality GAF hype, y'all don't disappoint! I'm someone who has always had a really strong love/hate relationship with AC since AC1 - it's a series that I've always really wanted to love in theory, but the missions, overall game structure, and increasing collectible clutter has never really clicked for me. (I tend to leave the games a bit half-finished, I'm sorry to say.) At any rate, all of this whiny set-up is to say that I'm really shocked about how much I'm enjoying every moment of Syndicate. It's definitely the most fun I've had in the entire series. Unless the game fumbles the ball majorly by the end, I'm here Day 1 for any future Ubisoft Quebec AC games. The game is wonderful. I'd recommend it thus far to existing fans, but I also think it would be a great starter for newcomers to the series.

I should say I haven't played Unity, so the last recent AC game I'm basing my opinion from is Black Flag: whilst the ship combat in BF was really fun, I found it overall to be an unfocused, extremely overwhelming game with lots of padding - even by AC standards of padding! The game had lots of wonderful freedom for open world fans, but I find a more focused approach to be more personally engaging.

It may not be the most apt comparison, but I feel like Syndicate is Assassin's Creed: Uncharted? This is a compliment, as I feel like there is a strong cinematic focus to both the missions and the cutscenes, whilst still having a good sandbox element for the player. There are new and fun ways that Evie and Jacob can travel through the world (Evie's first mission is a great example with
train carriages and pipes
), and the game feels quite evolved from the main missions I can remember from BF. The level design thus far has been constantly interesting without being overwhelming. I'm so pleased the rating system is a bit more subtle, too, and it throws me out of the game a lot less. HEY, YOU'RE PLAYING A GAME. DID YOU LIKE OUR GAME? RATE OUR GAME! (Maybe I shouldn't mock, it seemed to pay off. I'm enjoying the missions 100% more than Black Flag.)

Austin Wintory's score lives up to the hype, too - it's wonderful, and it never overstays its welcome. The music really feels like another character, one that is a companion through all your exploration, and gives you a little poke on the shoulder when you're about to get a punch to the head. Wintory has done it again, the glorious bastard.

I'm really enjoying Syndicate's combat, too, it feels really responsive. (It's great seeing female enemies!) I've also got a throwing knives addiction I just can't quit. That being said, I still sometimes forget that I have to press X/O to initiate a climb, but considering how many missions I've stuffed up with Edward climbing then sticking onto something I didn't mean him to, I think it'll work out eventually.

I've enjoyed the modern day story elements thus far (which has been one of my bigger disappointments of the series), and the codex is laugh out loud hilarious. I remember BF's being a bit funny, but every character codex I read is genuinely funny. I appreciate it too, as it feels worth my while to spend time reading them, instead of watching unread entries just build up in horror.

I'm a bit behind on the improvements that must have come with Unity, but whatever Ubisoft is doing with the facial animation (whether mo-cap/synced/manual) is superb, and is some of the strongest I've seen. All the facial muscles contort beautifully! Maybe the strongest next to Naughty Dog's work? W3 had some beautiful, subtle animation in the eyes and brows, but understandably being such a large RPG, the mouth/sync was often a bit weaker. The voice work has been great, too.

The icing on the assassin cake for Syndicate is Evie and Jacob. I knew I'd love Evie, but I'm surprised I like Jacob. They're strong characters apart (I do think they could carry a game without the other), but they're even more enjoyable together. I'm so pleased they haven't lived up the clichéd images I'd developed of them pre-game. Evie isn't remotely Little Miss Serious all the time, and Jacob is a lot more grounded than I thought he'd be. Grounded for an assassin that goes around getting into brawls, ahem. I love that by putting them in a scene together, Evie unexpectedly can get sillier, whilst Jacob becomes more serious. They play off each other so well, and with genuine, comedic timing. I can see why people want them to stick around for another game, they're both likeable characters.

I think my only complaint with the game thus far has been some load times, but it does seem to run well regardless.

I can actually see myself 100% this, which is surprising coming from someone who often would half-ass objectives in missions and then never replay them. Don't even get me started on my fear of collectibles. Syndicate was supposed to be a quick tide me over until Fallout 4, what in the hell? If you told me earlier this week that I would have written a prolonged love letter to Syndicate by the end of it, I wouldn't have believed you.

PLUS MOTHERFUCKING AUTO-LOOT. YES SWEET BABY JESUS YES. Is that a spoiler? I feel like it shouldn't be, as it's almost game buying incentive. I lost my shit when I saw it was available to unlock.

ogbg

I'm a bit behind on the improvements that must have come with Unity, but whatever Ubisoft is doing with the facial animation (whether mo-cap/synced/manual) is superb, and is some of the strongest I've seen. All the facial muscles contort beautifully! Maybe the strongest next to Naughty Dog's work? W3 had some beautiful, subtle animation in the eyes and brows, but understandably being such a large RPG, the mouth/sync was often a bit weaker. The voice work has been great, too.

I think the facial animations were slightly better in Unity but presumably it's the same basic system. Unity also introduced the free run up/down mechanic and got rid of most of the tailing missions, both of which are continued in Syndicate.

Oh, and also the sneak button, although it didn't work as well in Unity.

Ralemont

not me
I'm really contemplating on running to bestbuy (24 hours around me) and grabbing this. I've gotten every single AC on consoles, but was underwhelmed with unity's replay value.

The reviews are good, but they always are lol

Bestbuy emailed me about $30 gamers club for 1 or 2 years, %20 off on all future game purchases. So this would be my first game purchase if it's worth it

Just make sure they have it. I went into my local one and they didn't have any copies. Worse, they keep new games in customer service and the people don't know anything. The girl stared blankly at their inventory before checking on a computer and asking if I meant Assassin's Creed Unity.

tl;dr order online with GCU...

The last mission in Dreadful Crimes is pretty awesome, definitely recommend everyone do that series of optional quests and the Charles Dickens series which is weird/funny. The Karl Marx and Darwin ones were not that good.

Also you don't need to 100% all the side stuff for the platinum, like I stopped bothering to kidnap templar targets (for city takeover) and just straight up murdered them with range shots so that stuff could get over faster. Doing extra challenge stuff doesn't give you more rep, just more in game money. You will reach max loyalty with everyone while skipping all the extra challenge notes, you just won't 100% the associate/london stories.

I'm in sequence 4 (and have been for a long time). I found one of those music box things, and I went to the place where you use it. It looks like it's going to take a lot of them to open the...thing. How come I haven't seen anymore since then? I like collecting things but I haven't seen any way to collect these.

I'm in sequence 4 (and have been for a long time). I found one of those music box things, and I went to the place where you use it. It looks like it's going to take a lot of them to open the...thing. How come I haven't seen anymore since then? I like collecting things but I haven't seen any way to collect these.

those dont show up on the map unless you are very close and scan it with eagle vision...there is also not an in-game map to buy for them. I had to watch a video on youtube for locations

Just beat it last night. I was originally just going to trade it in and wait for the PC version, but I just couldn't put it down. Still don't like the slight adjustments they made to the free running, though the rope launcher is awesome. I also wish that they brought back quick swapping of weapons on the fly. I'm also really glad they incorporated unique kills into all the assassination blackbox missions too. Compared to Unity where you could see they ran out of time so dropped the option for most of the assassinations.

Definitely my favorite AC game since Brotherhood.

Toa TAK

Banned
You guys didn't up-sell the Aegis suit enough. It's the actual clothing of Minerva herself. Plus it looks SUPER cool.

Spoilers, I guess.

RedAssedApe

Banned

i could have sworn that there was a thing in the menus that gives you hints on where to find them the first time you go to the vault? its like unity where things don't show up on a map. i randomly stumbled upon a few based on the music that plays when you're near

Ammogeddon

I haven't enjoyed an AC game this much since AC2. I missed brotherhood so will have to take fellow gaffers on their word that it's a great chapter.

Syndicate isn't without its flaws but it certainly shouldn't be missed on account of Unity.

Bad news.

The PC version is being ported by Ubisoft Kiev.

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-syndicate-pc-release-date/

Oh well. Maybe they can redeem themselves.

Can't wait to see it "Shine".

The team in Kiev is working to accommodate the myriad PC setups as they optimize the game. Kovalev tells us that PC requirements are still being finalized, and said that there will be no locks on the game as far as framerate and resolution goes. The recommended system requirements will target 1080p and 30 FPS.

Oh boy....

Trouble

Banned
You guys didn't up-sell the Aegis suit enough. It's the actual clothing of Minerva herself. Plus it looks SUPER cool.

Spoilers, I guess.

I spent like an hour or so last night with a web page open to find all the secrets to unlock it. I just wish we could apply colors to it like every other outfit.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
arkham knight is more than enough for one year

IDw54T5.gif

9ejypGy.gif

Anyway, I feel sorry for Jacob he's great but Evie is getting the most play time...I hope next years game does something similar or actually just has a female Assassin.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wonder how big the gap will be between the console and pc versions. HBAO+ and much better AF seems like it would make a big difference.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder how big the gap will be between the console and pc versions. HBAO+ and much better AF seems like it would make a big difference.

HBAO+ is amazing and has little cost on modern Nvidia cards. Tessellation I can take or leave, really, but from what I've seen HBAO+ is far superior to other AO methods,

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
You guys didn't up-sell the Aegis suit enough.
It's the actual clothing of Minerva herself.
Plus it looks SUPER cool.

Spoilers, I guess.

Sick spoilers bro.

Delete the picture ffs and spoil tag.

Drewfonse

If you would have told me 6 months ago that I'd be enamored with this game and bored silly with Halo 5, I would have glared at you and then laughed. But it has happened.

Beautiful game, too.

And, most importantly, FUN.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
HBAO+ is amazing and has little cost on modern Nvidia cards. Tessellation I can take or leave, really, but from what I've seen HBAO+ is far superior to other AO methods,
Yea, I wonder if they experimented with pc exclusive smoke or rain effects since it's Victorian London.

speaking of tessellation, they never did update it into unity did they? haha

edit: i think im gonna go back and play that for a bit, at least until fallout is here
I can't imagine how taxing that game would've with tessellation.

iNvid02

I can't imagine how taxing that game would've with tessellation.

true. i dont think anyone in their right mind would have considered implementing additional effects into the game, let alone tessellation had they seen how the game was coming along, but these gameworks and gpu voucher bundling contracts seem like they are drawn up well in advance

not expecting a visual tour de force like unity this time round, but that has to translate into a better performing port from the get go, especially since they went back to this silly lets delay the PC version mentality

ViciousDS

Banned
I saw auto loot.........now I'm interested

what does it take to unlock it? The answer will probably push my impulse buying methods into action lol.

I saw auto loot.........now I'm interested

what does it take to unlock it? The answer will probably push my impulse buying methods into action lol.

do you mean like automatically looting someone when you assassinate them? Its one of the very first skills you can unlock if I remember right. I dont believe there was a skill for automatically looting someone in just normal combat kills

Man, the more I get into it the more it feels like they finally listened to all of the complaints.

So far the combat has been tuned much better, the side quests much more rewarding, the characters are far more interesting, and the modern stuff is finally implemented well. And this setting is really cool. They're hitting almost all of the right notes.

I hope more people take notice, but after Unity I won't be surprised if they don't.

J_Viper

I've gotta say, this is such an absolute turn-around after Unity, which I gladly consider to be one of the worst AAA products of all time. Nearly every problem I had with that game has been fixed here. It's a shame the wonky frame-rate still remains (Xbone here), but even that is an improvement.

As much as I like the series, I don't think I've ever had as much pure fun with it as I am with Syndicate. Bravo to Ubi Quebec.

ViciousDS

Banned
do you mean like automatically looting someone when you assassinate them? Its one of the very first skills you can unlock if I remember right. I dont believe there was a skill for automatically looting someone in just normal combat kills

I figured normal combat wouldn't get it

but yes, assassinate auto-looting is badass

totally picking this game up

It appears that Syndicate is a lot better than expected based the impressions from Gaf, right? If I wasn't the biggest fan of Unity, how likely would I not like Syndicate? I'm really trying to figure the difference between Unity and this besides the settings, grappling hook and using two characters.

Burning4

Neo Member
I'm on Sequence 9 and still haven't unlocked 3 of the associate activities in the progress log. Did this glitch out on me or did I miss something? I think I heard one of them unlocks after you finish the game, but what about the other two?

Top Bottom