• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Drewfonse

Approaching the base of the monument in sequence 5 is bullshit. The bobbies spot you too easily, I recruit 5 gang members, tell them to fight the cops to cause a commotion. But as soon as I get anywhere near the monument, I'm screwed

ogbg

Approaching the base of the monument in sequence 5 is bullshit. The bobbies spot you too easily

Are you using the crowd? Also are you aware that crowd stealth doesn't work if you're in sneak mode? Just asking because it took me a while to notice it.

JayB1920

I really need to pick up this game. My hype has increased dramatically reading some impressions here and some reviews. Not sure if I'll go with the PS4 version or wait for the PC version.

Drewfonse

Are you using the crowd? Also are you aware that crowd stealth doesn't work if you're in sneak mode? Just asking because it took me a while to notice it.

I finally got past it by luck, doing the same thing I had tried 5 times before. Eyes in the back of their heads, those cops

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Just platinumed it. Really well made AC, and they actually went places with the story...

I'm kinda expecting/hoping the next entry to be in Russia next year, game dated during the Russian Revolution.
-

• They have explored Russia before in comics + downloadable game(s)
  • Rasputin is perfect comic-book villain for the series and has been explored in the lore before
  • Tesla can be your Graham Bell/Da Vinci sidekick
  • setting it in St. Petersburg, they could reuse a lot of the building assets like they did for London going from Unity -> Syndicate. Saves on asset creation (which is massive for games like this) and fits right into a 2-year dev cycle I think
  • Syndicate has (location spoiler)
    WWI simulation
    . New game could have a (location spoiler)
    WWII Stalingrad(?) simulation
  • Russian Revolution could bring back the crowd stuff they did in Unity.
  • Make the game have a sad ending centered around the Tsar family, they could even fit in some mystery with Anastasia Romanov
  • the ending of Syndicate introduces a (character spoiler)
    Russian sounding assassin

All in all Syndicate made me excited about AC again. Even the balls-to-the-wall ending shows that they can go anywhere with it.

Unfortunately, that setting and plot points will be featured in Chronicles Russia, which, while probably just okay like Chronicles China, won't be an open world AC.

BTW, anyone find it weird that Chronicles India is MIA? The uPlay achievements are up so the game is done, but where is it?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Seq 6
-All gang wars completed
-Beer, Pressed flowers, and Illustrations collected
-Only 13 chests left to collect
-Only 10 Helix Glitches left to collect
-Story at 59% completion
-Best gear unlocked except for the level 10 cane sword.

Love this.

Fuck I think I just spoiled something for myself. Was looking in the progress tracker and saw that I was missing like 3
viewpoints from World War 1?
God I feel like that wouldve been cool to just experience.

Just finished this and overall I really enjoyed it, sequence 8 was a bit of a chore, I loved the protagonist but hated the
kidnap
mission.

I know nothing about the previous entries in the series so the modern day stuff is completely lost on me but I will go back and finish all the side missions I haven't done as I enjoy wandering around the game world, there were a few mechanics that pissed me off later on which was the amazing ability of the guards to spot you and not killing certain factions in a mission for the bonus but other than that a solid 7.5-8 I reckon.

Approaching the base of the monument in sequence 5 is bullshit. The bobbies spot you too easily, I recruit 5 gang members, tell them to fight the cops to cause a commotion. But as soon as I get anywhere near the monument, I'm screwed

You're forgetting about The Rooks. There should be a couple chilling out next to the monument. Recruit them and make them target the cops after you are lost in the crowd.

dreadful missions any good? or just same old unity murder mystery stuff?

I really liked them, some of them were truly interesting and memorable..its a shame not everyone will be able to experience them.

One of them is also a parody/spoof of one of my favorite movies
sweeney todd

So a year LTTP but I'm playing Unity on PC (and liking it a helluva lot more than most of GAF) and one of the things I appreciate is how well designed it is for a HUD-less experience. They put a lot of effort into it and I really appreciate it. Does Syndicate offer the ability to play effectively HUD-less as well?

WeTeHa

So a year LTTP but I'm playing Unity on PC (and liking it a helluva lot more than most of GAF) and one of the things I appreciate is how well designed it is for a HUD-less experience. They put a lot of effort into it and I really appreciate it. Does Syndicate offer the ability to play effectively HUD-less as well?

I think the game has pretty much the same HUD options as Unity. I do feel the combat in Syndicate without the HUD was a bit harder in the beginning until I got used to it. No my character is majorly overpowered though :/

Loakum

Banned
Did anyone notice this?
Look to the right lol
ZgpYnF5.jpg

I guess they really was gonna call this game "Victory" instead of "Syndicate".

Leeness

I folded and bought it. Eeeeeh.

About an hour and a half in, loving it. I lol'd pretty hard at "you may have to use these!" "Oh god I hope so!" :D

Im gonna say it again. I adore these two characters. I just find them so funny when they're together. And then when you go on the train the one your not using starts making comments about you some good. Some seemly trying to get a rise out of the other twin.

I still don't like this London setting just not doing it for me.

ryseing

Sequence 8 is pure garbage. The flaws really come out thanks to the shit mission design.

Other setting that would be very interesting to me is 400 BC Persia, when the assassin Darius apparently kills Xerxes I with a hidden blade. Going back to their roots with a Middle Eastern setting with great architecture and cultural significance would be nice.

If we're going that far back, I suggest Ehud from the book of Judges.

So I just unlocked sequence 8 which is kind of throwing me off. Should I be waiting to do that until I finish 7 or is it just a side/optional sequence I can do whenever that doesn't have much impact on the story?

I'm still on sequence 5 if that matters.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I would consider them the weakest but not necessarily bad to me. I never kidnap them, just knock them out, kill everybody around me, then put the bounty in a carriage and be on my way!

i could have sworn that the missions i tried this on i'd fail to get 100% sync if i knocked out instead of kidnapped someone.

Trouble

Banned
So I just unlocked sequence 8 which is kind of throwing me off. Should I be waiting to do that until I finish 7 or is it just a side/optional sequence I can do whenever that doesn't have much impact on the story?

I'm still on sequence 5 if that matters.

It's fairly detached from the main storyline. It has connections, but does zero to move the main storyline along.

i could have sworn that the missions i tried this on i'd fail to get 100% sync if i knocked out instead of kidnapped someone.

Really? I would hope not since the objective is to just bring them back alive right? Knocking them out still keeps them alive lol man, now I gotta check the next time I do a bounty hunt.

Stat!

I think AC Syndicate might have one of the best stories so far for an AC game. After Unity's story went from awful to fantastic to basically throwing it all away with its awful ending, Syndicate looked like it was turning around...

So I collected all the flowers and just finished sequence 7
and Henry and Evie getting married? They're in love? That came completely out of no where as in the last mission I played with Evie and Henry, Evie was pissed at Henry. Don't really get why Ubi would throw that in there

ryseing

I think AC Syndicate might have one of the best stories so far for an AC game. After Unity's story went from awful to fantastic to basically throwing it all away with its awful ending, Syndicate looked like it was turning around...

and Henry and Evie getting married? They're in love? That came completely out of no where as in the last mission I played with Evie and Henry, Evie was pissed at Henry. Don't really get why Ubi would throw that in there

Tying a collectible to that cutscene wasn't the smartest move IMO.

Yeah, it seems completely random. I got that scene pretty early on.

Alienous

Yeah, I supposed "Recommended Level __ " is quite a few syllables, huh?

It's obvious you don't like the game, which is fine. Not sure why you're happy wasting your time here though.

It's not a waste of time. I'm sharing my opinions, which just happen to be negative, just like I'd share them if they were positive.

I don't see what the Recommended Level adds other than artificial difficulty. 'Rather than design a good boss fight, or stretch the mechanics so that the player has a challenge, let's just make it so that he has to grind to an arbitrary level to have a standard experience with this game'.

Unity also had missions of varying difficulty but never did they game stoop to inflating an enemies health to scare you off; the difficulty game from the level design and enemy placement, like it should.

It isn't a case of me not liking the game. Syndicate, so far, has been among the worst experiences I've had with a game this console generation, and I'm stunned that the general reception to the game has been so different from my own.

Also, are you insinuating I can't read?

ogbg

It's not a waste of time. I'm sharing my opinions, which just happen to be negative, just like I'd share them if they were positive.

I don't see what the Recommended Level adds other than artificial difficulty. 'Rather than design a good boss fight, or stretch the mechanics so that the player has a challenge, let's just make it so that he has to grind to an arbitrary level to have a standard experience with this game'.

Unity also had missions of varying difficulty but never did they game stoop to inflating an enemies health to scare you off; the difficulty game from the level design and enemy placement, like it should.

It isn't a case of me not liking the game. Syndicate, so far, has been among the worst experiences I've had with a game this console generation, and I'm stunned that the general reception to the game has been so different from my own.

I think you'd enjoy it more if you leveled up as you go along. Unity did have enemy levels, they just used stars instead of numbers

I am playing Unity right now and the enemies definitely have higher health at higher levels.

ryseing

Syndicate has some major flaws but "worst experience this generation" is a tad hyperbolic, don't you think? Especially when Unity at launch was such a disaster. And Unity definitely had enemies with higher health at higher levels.

Watching your video, did you even bother to upgrade your weapons? It isn't a matter of your build- stealth focused Evie can win that fight just fine if you have an appropriately leveled weapon.

NexusCell

Err, I thought they did?

Alienous

I am playing Unity right now and the enemies definitely have higher health at higher levels.

Err, I thought they did?

Perhaps they did. I never had the experience of meeting an enemy who didn't go down in a few blows, though.

Syndicate has some major flaws but "worst experience this generation" is a tad hyperbolic, don't you think? Especially when Unity at launch was such a disaster. And Unity definitely had enemies with higher health at higher levels.

Watching your video, did you even bother to upgrade your weapons? It isn't a matter of your build- stealth focused Evie can win that fight just fine if you have an appropriately leveled weapon.

Admittedly, beneath dozens of XP upgrades, I forgot that was a thing.

And I'm not being hyperbolic with my statement, I haven't played a lot of shit games this console generation. Letting me enter a mainline mission that culminates in a sudden mandatory punch-up boss fight, in a room small enough that the camera has difficulty framing the action, a boss fight that isn't difficult outside of an artificial health increase the enemy gets because I have too low a level in a single-player experience is terrible design. That's some fundamental nonsense.

I don't want to dislike the game, but I have nothing but bad things to say about it. At best it's doing mediocre worse than Unity did it.

Hystzen

It's crazy that Assassins Creed : Syndicate is set in Victorian England has train robberies

Red Dead Redemption a game set in the Wild West has no train robberies

I mean what the fuck rockstar

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's crazy that Assassins Creed : Syndicate is set in Victorian England has train robberies

but you could hogtie people and put them on the tracks. missed opportunity for a special assassination. :)

ogbg

Letting me enter a mainline mission that culminates in a sudden mandatory punch-up boss fight, in a room small enough that the camera has difficulty framing the action, a boss fight that isn't difficult outside of an artificial health increase the enemy gets because I have too low a level in a single-player experience is terrible design. That's some fundamental nonsense.

Did it not warn you that you were too low level? Or maybe you just don't like that kind of RPG mechanic in games?

I've had the same thing happen to me in Witcher 3 where I accidentally took on a high level side mission and nearly got stuck because I couldn't kill a dwarf who was one shotting me! At least you can quit the mission in AC and come back when you are at the right level. I couldn't find a way to do it in Witcher

Coll1der

Banned
I dislike the new combat system's spongy scaling. I'd rather pace the game at my own speed than be forced to grind my character until I can proceed further. In games like Witcher 3 and FONV the grinding is rarely felt as there is a lot of interesting, well written content, but here in Syndicate the majority of side-content is repetetive and the writing is just really not that engaging. It's not enough to just insert a historical reference and wink towards the audience, they still actually need to have a character ark, like any other actor on stage. So yeah, both Unity and Syndicate had enemies with scaling health, but so far I find it more frustrating in Syndicate.

The whole combat in Syndicate heavily relies on repetition and button mashing, it does rarely resemble the combat of old games, where quick thinking and reaction was the way forward. Yes, you could slay 20+ enemies without losing a fracture of health, but hey - it was fun. Shadow of Mordor IMO perfected the AC/Batman system.

The only satisfying weapon for me in Syndicate is Kukri. The cane has ridiculously low damage and "lethality", while fisticuffs are OK, but just are outperformed by Kukri of equal levels. Also some of the animations for fisticuffs are just silly.

However I still think that the game is ok and quite fun to play. I would say it's as much fun as Unity. I feel like Jacob could be a very good character if he would just pretend to be an idiot, while being instead an intellectual equal of Evie. Overall I would say that he's barely there, undercharacterized and could be replaced by any comic-relief sidekick of choice. Sometimes it looks like the original script implied a single assassin, that was later hastily refactored into two to address the fallout after Unity's coop.

Alienous

I dislike the new combat system's spongy scaling. I'd rather pace the game at my own speed than be forced to grind my character until I can proceed further. In games like Witcher 3 and FONV the grinding is rarely felt as there is a lot of interesting, well written content, but here in Syndicate the majority of side-content is repetetive and the writing is just really not that engaging. It's not enough to just insert a historical reference and wink towards the audience, they still actually need to have a character ark, like any other actor on stage. So yeah, both Unity and Syndicate had enemies with scaling health, but so far I find it more frustrating in Syndicate.

The whole combat in Syndicate heavily relies on repetition and button mashing, it does rarely resemble the combat of old games, where quick thinking and reaction was the way forward. Yes, you could slay 20+ enemies without losing a fracture of health, but hey - it was fun. Shadow of Mordor IMO perfected the AC/Batman system.

The only satisfying weapon for me in Syndicate is Kukri. The cane has ridiculously low damage and "lethality", while fisticuffs are OK, but just are outperformed by Kukri of equal levels. Also some of the animations for fisticuffs are just silly.

However I still think that the game is ok and quite fun to play. I would say it's as much fun as Unity. I feel like Jacob could be a very good character if he would just pretend to be an idiot, while being instead an intellectual equal of Evie. Overall I would say that he's barely there, undercharacterized and could be replaced by any comic-relief sidekick of choice. Sometimes it looks like the original script implied a single assassin, that was later hastily refactored into two to address the fallout after Unity's coop.

Whew, I'm not crazy. This impressions are in-line with my own.

I'll give the Khukuri a go.

Stat!

I don't want to dislike the game, but I have nothing but bad things to say about it. At best it's doing mediocre worse than Unity did it.

Man, I'm curious what games you have played because Syndicate is one of my best experiences this gen. The world is incredible.

The more I play and I see the random civilians doing these random things, the more I think it might trump GTAV's world. Its not as diverse as GTAV but the world is right with it for level of detail and how real the world feels.

I don't really get the lethality of it. I find the cane to be super kick ass and have plenty of awesome moments. I don't really have a problem with any of the weapons. The combat isn't difficult but none of the AC combat has ever been difficult. Its just fun, brutal, and you feel like a bad ass. I think in the past, AC required to be defensive and wait for openings. In Syndicate, it favours being more offensive.

ogbg

Whew, I'm not crazy. This impressions are in-line with my own.

I'll give the Khukuri a go.

Based on what you said in an earlier post, have you been playing with the starting cane the whole time? The damage from that will be really poor.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Unity had heists before GTAV did. >_>

Perhaps they did. I never had the experience of meeting an enemy who didn't go down in a few blows, though.

Admittedly, beneath dozens of XP upgrades, I forgot that was a thing.

And I'm not being hyperbolic with my statement, I haven't played a lot of shit games this console generation. Letting me enter a mainline mission that culminates in a sudden mandatory punch-up boss fight, in a room small enough that the camera has difficulty framing the action, a boss fight that isn't difficult outside of an artificial health increase the enemy gets because I have too low a level in a single-player experience is terrible design. That's some fundamental nonsense.

Upgrade your weapons and combat tree. It's actually super easy to overlevel in this game if you do the side content. I have everything maxed and i'm still in seq 6. I actually find the combat super responsive, there is a shit ton less animation priority compared to Unity, (at the expense of animation quality).

Alienous

Man, I'm curious what games you have played because Syndicate is one of my best experiences this gen. The world is incredible.

The more I play and I see the random civilians doing these random things, the more I think it might trump GTAV's world. Its not as diverse as GTAV but the world is right with it for level of detail and how real the world feels.

I don't really get the lethality of it. I find the cane to be super kick ass and have plenty of awesome moments. I don't really have a problem with any of the weapons. The combat isn't difficult but none of the AC combat has ever been difficult. Its just fun, brutal, and you feel like a bad ass.

I've played most AAA releases. I haven't played a game like Thief, and I'm sure that Syndicate is a better game than that, but I try to curate the games I play and as such I don't play a lot of bad ones.

This game is a lot like Unity, but Unity had more of a cohesiveness, IMO. Syndicate just feels weird. The mission design feels off; the mission that I posted a video of consisted of sneaking to an icon to tap circle, 'climbing' a tower (really just looking up and tapping 'L1') to tap circle, than travelling across the city 500m to fight a dull boss fight.

Some core issues I have with the game come from enemy placement. It's bad, with no easily discernible stealth route. It's easily broken, by commanding an ally to attack the enemy, which makes all of them run towards him/her. The stealth isn't good, and the combat isn't good. The navigation has been reduced to tapping a button. I guess the horse and carriage is functional.

To your point there have been times where I've been swept up in the world, as I would expect living all my life in London, but those are fleeting moments separated by arbitrarily and artificially difficult missions and a confusing sense of overall direction in how I should be playing.

I'm trying to like it. I'll give it another go, tomorrow. + Thanks for the advice Crossing Eden, I'll upgrade my weapons first thing. I left the combat upgrades to Jacob, but I might need to also upgrade combat for Evie and forget about stealth.

Top Bottom