• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

DOWN

Banned
Shame that the lovely Paris along with the charming pair of Arno and Elise are going to be overshadowed by the disappointing performance.

ironcreed

Banned
So PS4 players:

I have this sitting beside me sealed. Is it even worth opening with how bad the performance is?

I think the game is fucking great. If you could ignore some jank in previous AC games, then you can here. I have only had a few frame dips here and there and some jerky animations from NPCs, but when it comes to gameplay, visuals and presentation, it is an improvement over the other games.

On a side note, the acting between Arno and Elise is just so damn good. Can't stress that enough. These two alone make the game worth it.

541545_794444413952661_5088345338522055276_n.jpg

Rsinart

So I am still on the fence about picking this up. I was wondering with all the fallout from the reviews today, and player impressions. Did Ubisoft make any kind of comment yet on a patch to help? Figured if it was something fixable they would of said something but I haven't see anything.

DOWN

Banned
So I am still on the fence about picking this up. I was wondering with all the fallout from the reviews today, and player impressions. Did Ubisoft make any kind of comment yet on a patch to help? Figured if it was something fixable they would of said something but I haven't see anything.

If they say they'll fix it, then they are acknowledging they shipped it with issues. That said, if they controversy gets big enough, they will have to say they are continuing to support and improve the game based on feedback.

this is really annoying, and I have not seen one other person say its happening to them. After I get into a large battle, die, or get back from a co op game, my game just starts twitching out. It freaks out every 2 seconds. Ive had to restart my ps4 so many times to fix it.

acklame

I'm also wondering just how bad the framerate and glitches are from the people who've played it extensively. Having seen a video of the game literally skips and pauses - that's just unplayable. I'm also reading a bunch of conflicting reports on gaf and in reviews that I don't know what to believe. I really want to buy the game with the target deal but I'm not sure...

bycha

is there no way to increase framerate in a console game?

like getting your tv to output maximum 720p?

surely decreasing resolution from 900p to 720p will get you more frames, no?

It doesn't work like that (unless the game is GT5, GT6, or a few other PS3 games).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

The GPU is doing that, not your TV. And it's obviously CPU bound considering the issues are with large crowds (even if you don't look at them), at least in the cases I noticed. CPU bound means even if you lower the res the frame rate will not be better.

Yoday

Arno and Elise are just great. Loving the story so far.

13242_794424087288027_5476939391329340444_n.jpg
Agreed. I'm only as far as just becoming an assassin, but I love the characters so far, and Elise in particular is fantastic even though she has only been shown a couple of times. The acting and animation in this game is so damn good, and good god is it pretty.

KorrZ

Played 4 hours tonight and am really enjoying it. This is by far the best Assassin's Creed has been in a long time and the performance issues aren't nearly so bad as some people are saying. If you played late-gen releases on console last gen and were able to deal with the frame rates there then this will be totally playable. I would still really love to see a patch but so far the technical issues haven't really hindered my enjoyment at all.

The huge density of crowds and massive scale of everything really is something else. Paris feels so alive and buzzing with noise and activity. I disabled the HUD and it's just so damn immersive.

bycha

console holders and publishers should do something about framerates.

1. Letting people decrease detail, resolution, number of NPC etc. to get more frames.
2, Letting 2, 4 etc consoles to WORK IN SLI MODE -- and get more FPS or resolution.

25 fps is totally unplayable to me -- i still wait for GTA V PS4 -- it was waste of my time and money on PS3.

Without that they will lose market to PC crowd and a lot of people will not buy game at all if they don't play on PC.

Corgi

Banned
videos and reviews mention different weapon types, but i've only seen footage of sword.

Anybody have any impressions on heavy/long weapon types?

Dartastic

I'm on the same boat as the guy earlier who posted that he's not normally sensitive to framerate issues but this game is a whole other story. The animation system in combination with the terrible framerate just makes movement feel horribly clunky and sluggish. I REALLY want to keep playing this too, but coming off of Shadow of Mordor, Sunset Overdrive and Bayonetta 2 make playing something that controls this poorly basically impossible. At the beginning of the game I was even having trouble getting the Templar I was playing as to climb the ladder because it was so imprecise. The framerate absolutely needs to be fixed. In the meantime, I think I'm just going to try and return this to Target and maybe pick it up again when it's far cheaper. This is ridiculous.

My girlfriend is super disappointed for all of the same reasons, and both of us are in the same boat. What a clunky game. If they could fix the framerate this could be really fun, but for now... yeahh....

I completely forgot about asking this. Is anyone playing the game in French, with English subtitles?

I believe people said that it was an actual option. I'm actually torn, almost 11 hours before it launches for me.

Yes, you're able to do so, but some have noted that the subtitles are quite small and the lip movement doesn't match what the characters are saying in French. To each their own, but I would likely enjoy the game more in French.

They can, but will they?

I'm sure they are feeling a lot of pressure right about now and will probably want to save this game a bit. I guess only time will tell. Also theres a trophy for unlocking every chest in the game, does that mean someone without a smartphone is screwed?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Honestly, so far loving the game and story. I can forgive the janky gameplay so far. The acting is great despite the British accents in the dialogue. The only truly annoying thing I've run into so far is when I gently hopped off a roof low to the ground and fell through and underneath the map once causing a desync. Only happened the once though. The game looks pretty good as well. The city really does feel alive.

fernoca

Uplay seems to be working now (PS4).

So what's the deal here, guards don't like when Arno runs?
There are the regular guards (blue) and there are the "red guards" which are bribed by the templars. So they know who you are and get alerted by just been close.

Man, I really want to love this game. The first few hours are possibly the best in the AC series in terms of story, and the Arno - Elise interactions are so good its like a movie. I actually am really invested in the plot so far, which I usually don't care...and that goes for most games.

I just can't fully enjoy it with how bad performance is. I'm totally cool with a locked 30fps on consoles, but I feel like hitting 30fps is rare in this game. I actually feel it affecting gameplay quite a bit, I'm having a hard time really enjoying the parkour, which I know is improved, with how choppy everything feels.

The part where you
escape the prison
was almost unplayable the framerate was so bad. Had to hit in the teens at points there.

So I logged into uplay through the game to link my Initiates account and it's now saying this is my first game and I'm level 1... I'm hoping it's doing this for everyone?

Spoo

This is by far the worst game I've played all year.

Seriously, I want my money back. For one, this game runs like absolute shit. Today, it gave me a headache, and eventually I threw up, because framerate drops to single digits can do that. But it doesn't just happen occasionally, it happens pretty much any time you get into a fight. Which I tend to do in games that give me a sword.

Playing on PS4, I really hope Ubi gets sued for this shit, and people that worked on this get fired. It's offensively bad. It's 8 months worth of undercooked shit, and 30 fps -- which I wasn't happy about -- is one of their selling points, and its not 30 fps. Sometimes the game will just hang, and my character will end up yards away. It is absolutely fucking dreadful, and I will never buy another AC game ever again.

/ rant.

Phionoxx

Is anybody else on the PC version seeing massive 5-6 second hiccups? The entire game freezes during gameplay. It doesn't seem to be tied to 'saving' either.

Yeah, I posted about this as well in the PC performance thread. Same thing happening to me. Never seen anything like it before. Doesn't result in a hard crash (yet) but completely pauses in place for 5 to 10 seconds at a time.

Ricker

Is it just me or is this AC harder then the others...I mean the guards see you a mile away it seems...I am trying to do the ''heads'' quest and I keep getting spotted,even by guards on the other side of a big high gate,so I cant pick up the bag with the head...this quest is close to a main mission though so maybe I need to do that first...still quite early,maybe I need to explore more,buy stuff first to make it easier...not sure.

And on the PS4 I have no problem with framerate so far,guess I dont notice the drops as much as others...that prison thing was perfectly fine for me...shrugs.

Spoo

Yeah, I posted about this as well in the PC performance thread. Same thing happening to me. Never seen anything like it before. Doesn't result in a hard crash (yet) but completely pauses in place for 5 to 10 seconds at a time.

I can confirm that this happens on PS4. Usually doesn't last that long, closer to 1 seconds, but distinctly noticeable.

webkatt

Seriously, I want my money back. For one, this game runs like absolute shit. Today, it gave me a headache, and eventually I threw up, because framerate drops to single digits can do that. But it doesn't just happen occasionally, it happens pretty much any time you get into a fight. Which I tend to do in games that give me a sword.

Playing on PS4, I really hope Ubi gets sued for this shit, and people that worked on this get fired. It's offensively bad. It's 8 months worth of undercooked shit, and 30 fps -- which I wasn't happy about -- is one of their selling points, and its not 30 fps. Sometimes the game will just hang, and my character will end up yards away. It is absolutely fucking dreadful, and I will never buy another AC game ever again.

/ rant.

You may want to quit video games if they make you puke.

I think the game is fucking great. If you could ignore some jank in previous AC games, then you can here. I have only had a few frame dips here and there and some jerky animations from NPCs, but when it comes to gameplay, visuals and presentation, it is an improvement over the other games.

On a side note, the acting between Arno and Elise is just so damn good. Can't stress that enough. These two alone make the game worth it.

541545_794444413952661_5088345338522055276_n.jpg

I'm a sucker for a good story, so I think I'll be able to overlook the performance stuff and enjoy it. My friend said that while it was glitchy, it's playable and still fun, and he and I have similar tolerances.

Spoo

You may want to quit video games if they make you puke.

I've puked only once from a videogame before -- Fable 2. And I was drunk, so, that probably had something to do with it.

But AC:Unity makes me sick on a lot of different levels, and I'm completely sober for its absolute trash performance. Single digit framerates, sustained, can make you sick. Shocker.

Phionoxx

For any PC players out there, I didn't see any GAF related community clubs when I searched for existing clubs. I went ahead and made one named NeoGAF_US_Central. Feel free to join if you would like to!

/ rant.

There's reasonable anger and there's craziness.

I know it's hyperbolic, but it made you throw up? Lol, come on.

So I logged into uplay through the game to link my Initiates account and it's now saying this is my first game and I'm level 1... I'm hoping it's doing this for everyone?

Yup, and you can't even level up your initiate level since everything on the website is Coming Soon (all the leveling mini games).

Game is pretty but a big mess, I'm going to try and get as far as I can in 3 days and then trade it in for more than what I paid and revisit the game in six months, hopefully they have gotten their shit together by then.

Into chapter 3 so far, I like the game but I don't love it, the story, or the characters. AC2 and AC4 were definitely better for me, they had me hooked within the first 15 minutes whereas here its 4 hours in and I'm still like "uh... wait, whats going on now?"

RedAssedApe

Banned

/ rant.

lol...this game induces vomiting...literally

Top Bottom