• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Lebron

Does the game let you start playing at a certain point on PS4 if you went DD even if it's still downloading, like on Xbone? I downloaded last night but it keeps saying "can't start mission till the game is installed" for the 3rd mission for me. This is some shit.

Spoo

And he wants them sued. Sued.

I mean, you don't think that making 30 fps a selling point of your game (as in, "we choose 30 fps because it is cinematic"), and not delivering that in your product, is somehow... a viable practice for an industry?

Also, I did throw up, but that's hardly something I care about. It could be a lot of different factors at play -- if it's hard to believe that a really horrendous framerate couldn't contribute to that, then, by all means, don't believe it.

But it is far from hyperbolic to call shit out when I see it, and AC:U has, real, real, real bad performance. I mean, we all accept a threshold right -- like, if you say 30, that doesn't necessarily mean it's steady 100% of the time. And that's okay. But I just finished a COOP match with a friend in which a single fight brought the game down to ~6 FPS for a solid minute. And we were both chatting at the time, experiencing this together, and saying out loud: "Wow, this is unacceptable. By any measure, this is purely unacceptable." He is much more forgiving than I am, and we're basically not playing it anymore now.

It's a shame, because there's a game underneath all this putrid shit that might be ok.

Jobbs

Banned
here's what I've been wondering for a while: what are the practical differences between weapon types?

I've seen spears, I've seen maces -- how do these differ from your ordinary swords and stuff? isn't the combat in AC pretty much just countering stuff? do things like reach or attack speed even matter? or is this a new combat system?

Hawkmosis

Banned
I'm having fun with the game but it has problems.

1. Slow down like crazy, worst was at whatever building had the stained glass......
2. It has crashed two time in 4 hours on the Xbox One

I do think it mostly looks nice, same old game play but whatever, I'm in the mood!

Well I'm really enjoying this game a lot. Plays great on my PC (it has a 970 though). There's a bit of pop-in sometimes, but I get close to 60fps at almost all times with everything maxed out with FXAA at 1080p. The atmosphere and the acting during cutscenes is phenomenal. Feels like I'm playing a completely different game than the videos I'm seeing of the PS4 and X1 versions.

Also, I'm actually liking the android "companion app" as well. I thought it was the stupidest idea at first, but it runs great on my galaxy s4, and the little puzzles and nomad missions are neat little time-wasters. It connected to Uplay very quickly (once the servers weren't down anymore) and seems like a fun compliment to the game.

Hopefully Ubisoft can patch this game to fix the major issues many are having. There is a great experience hidden under the performance-hogging problems, one that reminds me a lot of AC2.

here's what I've been wondering for a while: what are the practical differences between weapon types?

I've seen spears, I've seen maces -- how do these differ from your ordinary swords and stuff? isn't the combat in AC pretty much just countering stuff? do things like reach or attack speed even matter? or is this a new combat system?

I'm curious about this as well....

Omni

Alright. I loved AC2 and ACI (latter for its story in particular. Obviously there were parts that need polish).

I hated AC Revelations, III, and disliked IV a fair bit because it was too pirate-y and the story was disjointed as hell.

I have this preordered. I know about the performance. But is the game worth buying?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Is it just me or is this AC harder then the others...I mean the guards see you a mile away it seems...I am trying to do the ''heads'' quest and I keep getting spotted,even by guards on the other side of a big high gate,so I cant pick up the bag with the head...this quest is close to a main mission though so maybe I need to do that first...still quite early,maybe I need to explore more,buy stuff first to make it easier...not sure.

And on the PS4 I have no problem with framerate so far,guess I dont notice the drops as much as others...that prison thing was perfectly fine for me...shrugs.

I just did that mission. I got spotted after I got the first one, killed, resynced with the first done, managed the others with ease. I didn't have the experience you did otherwise. Most other things so far are fine or forgiveable.

Phionoxx

How do you link your AC games to initiates? I've play every one but Rogue and Freedom Cry.

Think the initiatives services are down. There have been a lot of people saying their game history hasn't been linked with initiates. I'm experiencing the same. Went back to level 1 and I've played most all of the AC series.

Leeness

I mean, you don't think that making 30 fps a selling point of your game (as in, "we choose 30 fps because it is cinematic"), and not delivering that in your product, is somehow... a viable practice for an industry?

"This diet pill will cause you to lose 20lbs in a week!"
"Lasts a life time!"
"Unprecedented performance."

That's marketing. It's what they do. Learn to say "uh huh, yeah sure guys" and figure out how marketing works and that they're always talking their stuff up lol.

You're being a touch overdramatique.

Hyunkel6

I have this preordered. I know about the performance. But is the game worth buying?
IMO, no. I played for 2 hours yesterday, and just gave the game another chance with another 2 hours today, but cannot get pass framerate hell and jitter town. Framerate drops are extremely noticeable. It's simply not a pleasant experience.

I'm putting the game on sale online one day after launch. First time I'm doing something like this in all my years of gaming. I had the game preordered since E3 too.

What a disappointment.

Spoo

That's marketing. It's what they do. Learn to say "uh huh, yeah sure guys" and figure out how marketing works and that they're always talking their stuff up lol.

I tried. I mean, I made the assumption that having 1000s of NPCs on the screen would be just for show. They pretty much are, so I was right on that count.

Then I was like, well, all this stuff about coop, you know, they're not reinventing anything, it's ubisoft, so I was quite prepared when the mission design turned out to be a bit on the boring side.

Then, on visuals, I just convinced myself that it wouldn't be all that, and it isn't. So no harm done.

But then, there's the framerate, and they said 30 fps, and I was thinking, based on everything I know about Ubi games, they never reach for the stars, but hey, AC4 was 1080p and 30 fps so there's no possible way that I could expect 6-10 fps on the low end at 900p right?

And I was wrong. So, now I have learned my lesson and the circle is complete. Never believe anything anyone says ever about videogames if they are involved in the creation of that videogame. But probably someone lost 20 lbs off that diet pill in a week -- I doubt this game ever hits 30 fps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just got to Paris, a few questions:

Do I need some kind of upgrade to climb Notre Dame? I can't find a way to climb the upper tower.

The story mission says it's too difficult for me, and to go buy new skills and equipment. Where do I do this? I've found about 6 stores, but all they sell are consumables.

Phionoxx

Well, just got hit with a nasty bug on PC version. Three times in a row now I load up my saved game and can play for 5 to 10 minutes and then Arno, and the rest of the NPCs in the world stop moving and freeze in place. I can rotate camera still, the music and sounds still keep playing, but I can't move Arno. If I try to fast travel anywhere, it loads indefinitely during the fast travel loading screen. Not good.

Was having fun with the game too, hopefully this either goes away or gets fixed in 1.02 patch.

Just got to Paris, a few questions:

Do I need some kind of upgrade to climb Notre Dame? I can't find a way to climb the upper tower.

The story mission says it's too difficult for me, and to go buy new skills and equipment. Where do I do this? I've found about 6 stores, but all they sell are consumables.

Scale the top of the other tower and jump over.

Open your menu. Select character customization and then equipment.

Tactics18

I'm trying to ignore the performance issues and just enjoy the game.

The customization is really really good, And Paris is looking better and better as I explore it more.

If anyone is up for some co-op on the PS4 - omm118. hit me up.

Spoo

Well, I am sorry it's not running well for you. That's a shame.

It's running great for me, though.

Are you running it on PC? That's probably what I should have done -- I have a machine that I imagine is powerful enough for it.

Oh well, I'm glad you're enjoying it and it's running well enough for you.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the performance is really killing this game for me so far. it just runs horribly.

it's a real shame too, since the game buried beneath the performance problems seems pretty solid.

kinggroin

Banned
Game is fucking amazing. Visually and Gameplay wise. No complaints outside some hilarious glitches and suspect performance in areas.

Just finished creating an Assassins club with some friends and did co-op. Holy shit was that an experience. So far the game is a solid 8.5/10 for me.

ironcreed

Banned
Ah, no longer a scrub. Arno's initiation was amazing.

On a side note, I have encountered like a split second pause and jutter or two in certain spots. But other than that it is playing fine. Perhaps they can patch that up, as the game itself has a really strong start for me and I love it.

Think the initiatives services are down. There have been a lot of people saying their game history hasn't been linked with initiates. I'm experiencing the same. Went back to level 1 and I've played most all of the AC series.

this. I have 100% synched all AC games to date. It only shows me as beating the story of 4, brotherhood, rev, and 3...nothing else. That whole system is just messed up right now

webkatt

There's reasonable anger and there's craziness.

I know it's hyperbolic, but it made you throw up? Lol, come on.

I laughed at the comment too.

Figuratively, sure some things (frame rate) about this game made me want to throw up but literally, no.

Spoo is gonna Spoo...his lunch?

Spoo

I laughed at the comment too.

Figuratively, sure some thing about this game made me want to throw up but literally, no.

Spoo is gonna Spoo...his lunch?

I was going to do a "Ubi shot themselves in the foot" post, but I was actually upset and didn't think that would get it across.

How noticeable in practice is the difference between ps4 & xbone? 5 fps sound pretty significant from the Eurogamer review.

Initial impression on ps4 is the image quality is poor, frame rate is bad and combat way too slow and unsatisfying (eg an excessive amount of hits to kill enemy)

Corgi

Banned
watching GB quicklook,

you know.... say what you want about the quality of the game and the glitches, new climbing animations look fantastic when they work. and some of these new hidden blade kills are seriously badass.

Leeness

LOL, the acting is superb.

Definitely. Really enjoying all the characters. More Elise and Arno together, please.

Magic PS4? I don't think it's running great for you man.

I wish I could not notice these things like some people.

My eyes work fine, thank you.

No stuttering and the only time the FR has dropped noticibly was in Sainte Chapelle, and it was very brief and not even close to ~single frames omg~.

The things I have noticed are the crowd issues and they're more amusing to me than anything.

VanWinkle

There are certain aspects of this game that are great. I think if there were no huge technical issues (framerate, pop-in, and glitches), I would really love it.

the performance is really killing this game for me so far. it just runs horribly.

it's a real shame too, since the game buried beneath the performance problems seems pretty solid.

I'm wondering how likely we are to receive a performance patch?

I have the game, but I'm wondering if I should wait to play it until the game's issues are resolved.

It gives you a weapon, a spiffy pair of pants, and maybe some more clothing? I'm not too sure. I have no use for it though.

I would gladly take it off your hands, haha.

So this hasn't happened to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIlZZQdKizg&feature=youtu.be ?

Cuz, it happened to me, and clearly others, and not just in that location. That's worse than single frames, it's almost as if tens of frames are being just dropped. But you seem like a cool person actually, and I will believe you if you say you haven't had such a thing occur.

I have to be honest I have yet to have any issues with framerate as well. Time will tell though.

I love the AC series, and I can forgive alot when it comes to enjoying the games, but I also feel that anyone saying Unity runs great on PS4 isn't being honest with themselves. The rift missions run pretty well, but they are devoid of all those npcs; everything else is pretty damn rough. The huge crowds look cool at times, but I don't think it was worth the performance hit, and boy do I wish Ubi would have hit 1080p and got rid of this softness. Performance is lacking, there's no ifs ands or buts about it, and I'm a person whose not that sensitive to frame rate fluctuations.

Krabboss

Alright. I loved AC2 and ACI (latter for its story in particular. Obviously there were parts that need polish).

I hated AC Revelations, III, and disliked IV a fair bit because it was too pirate-y and the story was disjointed as hell.

Don't preorder games.

I haven't played the game, but people in general seem to be saying the game's problems extend beyond performance issues. You should check some reviews and see if the gameplay problems would bug you, then wait a couple weeks for the game to receive a patch if you want to buy it.

BFIB

A few hrs in and for the most part, I'm really enjoying it. Granted, the obvious issues is holding this back from greatness, but it's been a fun way to break in my Xbox One.

Top Bottom