• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

woen

And another script that fucked up the objective and killed the co-op mission.

1 min to quit the mission

1 min to reload the mission

1 min to listen again to the cutscene

and here we go again, hoping you'll get all the sync points and all the equipments this time

Braag

Between all my critique of the game, I gotta hand it to Ubisoft for making a beautiful map. I love that you can navigate and see it all in 3D.

Yeah the map is awesome. Being able to see at what altitude each item is comes very handy.

apowhungo

The combat feels so slow, cumbersome and above all unresponsive with a whole bunch of animation glitches. Also a single rifle shot kills Arno which can be pretty annoying when you enter an area with rifle men on each rooftop.

this

i remember AC3's big PR push was brutal executions, i get it why they didnt really mention much of that this time around.

the rifles thing is complete bs, did a cafe mission to protect a funeral and got sniped each time until i located the guy in a friggen sea of people

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there a way to dodge or otherwise counter someone shooing? I got rekt 5 times in a row on a sidemission where I had to kill some guy protected by 5 guards. Everytime I dropped down one of them would take some distance and just shoot me in the head. In ACIII and Black Flag you could grab an enemy and use him as a human shield, not sure why it's not in here still.

impact

Banned
the combat feels worse than usual because of the framerate

the PS4 version is really up there with Bayonetta and Skyrim PS3 as the worst technical disasters I've played. Everything that can go wrong with a game except tearing is there

Mogwai

Yeah the map is awesome. Being able to see at what altitude each item is comes very handy.
Exactly and it's a nice clean overview as well. I fear that the map will be cluttered by the end of the sorry, though.

Btw, I haven't been able to find the stats menu like in the previous games. I want to see the distance I've been running and stuff... Did they remove it?

woen

And another script that fucked up the objective and killed the co-op mission.

1 min to quit the mission

1 min to reload the mission

1 min to listen again to the cutscene

and here we go again, hoping you'll get all the sync points and all the equipments this time

Wtf it just happened again, the women we must follow just lost here blue dot so more more objective and we're trapped in the mission

Sometimes this game is just a fucking mess, you can't even play the shit

Is there a way to dodge or otherwise counter someone shooing? I got rekt 5 times in a row on a sidemission where I had to kill some guy protected by 5 guards. Everytime I dropped down one of them would take some distance and just shoot me in the head. In ACIII and Black Flag you could grab an enemy and use him as a human shield, not sure why it's not in here still.

Those games were really clear about which enemies had guns, when they were drawing their guns, when they were about to shoot and what you could do to avoid those shots. Even if the shooter was off-camera you could still deal with it every time, no problems. Now in Unity everyone has guns and there's no indication of when they're going to shoot you. The game pops up a tooltip saying 'Press X to dodge gunshots', but when you have no idea when the shot is actually coming that really doesn't help you at all. I know the little crosshairs icon gets brighter as the enemy gets closer to shooting, but I've tried experimenting with it and I've never dodged a single shot.

Enemies that can just one-shot you from off-screen with no warning is 100% bullshit. I know they're trying to get away from the old style of gameplay where your lone assassin could solo a whole army base full of dudes, but there are better ways of doing that than cutting your health to one tenth of what it used to be and depriving you of the abilities you used to have.

Naite

You can roll when you see the red aiming reticule turn from red to bright red, but if you're not in a combat stance or the camera angle is really bad you could try throwing a smoke.

Dantis

This is probably going to end up being my game of the year. Absolutely love it.

It feels like a sequel to AC1 more than anything to me. It also feels more how they pitched AC1 in the first place.

dex3108

I played AC this morning and now i have over 2800 UPlay points XD So did anybody purchased ACU Soundtrack with those points? Is soundtrack complete Vol1 and Vol2?

DOWN

Banned
I played AC this morning and now i have over 2800 UPlay points XD So did anybody purchased ACU Soundtrack with those points? Is soundtrack complete Vol1 and Vol2?

Where do you see the option to redeem Uplay points for the soundtrack?

ufo8mycat

Loving the game so far on ps4

The amount of customisation with your assassin is insane.

Paris is insane. The amount of graphical detail. Hell the game can look photo realistic at times.

Going around as an assassin in this city is so much fun. The side missions are actually fun this time around.
No frame rate issues what so ever, since I turned 'motion flow' ON on my hdtv. It introduces a little bit of input lag but not much. The framerate is smooth now and only get a very small hitch when there's lots and lots of people.

Overall really great game.

woen

How do I roll before hitting the ground ? When do I press "O" ?

Just tried the training* but either I'm "too far from the target" or different timing and "didn't follow the instructions"

training* which doesn't explain anything of show you when you need to perform an action btw

Problem with the Nostradamus Sections(MARS):

The riddle with the sign between the statues on the Notre Dame Cathedral, I CAN'T ACTIVATE IT. It's between the damn STATUES and can't seem to find the activation point.

Help me out.

FYI Make sure if you're going for collectables that you use the Helix Points the game gave you for the timesaver pack, or else you'll be running around like a jackass spamming eagle vision trying to find the chests that don't appear during sync.

So I'm liking the game so far, but damn is the framerate bad in a lot of areas.

Mechanically the game is trying a lot of new things, and I would say the ideas were great, but the execution is half bake. But trying to move the gameplay foward for the series is still better than the stagnating the gameplay like 4 and 3 did. Pressing B to move down works half the time, but when it works it feels great. The combat has more weight, and it's really hard to kill a lot of guards when the numbers reach double digits, but the system is so tied to the animation that it's insanely slow and still easy enough for me to game it so I would feel OP whenever I fight guards when I get caught using stealth. And well, stealth still sucks. It's the same stealth with a crouch button. How can a developer with probably a team next door that worked on Splinter Cell make such a shitty sub stealth game under their action game?

It sounds like I hate everything but honestly I can tell the developers are just trying to make the series feels fresh, and as a whole it made AC a lot more enjoyable now that the game doesn't auto play itself in a lot of aspects. I would still pass on using stealth as a fun option, or at least use the improve parkour to stealth.

Story though has insane pacing issues. No world building. No characterization of any of the main characters. No real motivation by any party on why they do what they do. Every time skip makes me want to just punch the computers these writers work on. It just feels like we're breezing through some tour of the time line of France. Honestly the setting is the setting, it's not going anywhere, but the characters and their story is what you are following the whole game and Arno while likable, his arc is half baked. And Elise is just Elise...

I would still recommend it to people who liked AC2 and not the others as it captured the spirit of that game, but not the execution. It's trying to move the series foward like AC2, but just couldn't flesh out their improvements to the level that we should expect from the next big leap. It's still fun as the mixer mystery is a great new take on AC side quest. And the stuff that already worked in AC like parkour challenges, and just having a great place to parkour around has improved due to one to one scale.

woen

How do I roll before hitting the ground ? When do I press "O" ?

Just tried the training* but either I'm "too far from the target" or different timing and "didn't follow the instructions"

training* which doesn't explain anything of show you when you need to perform an action btw

Anyone?

SJRB

Gold Member
Those games were really clear about which enemies had guns, when they were drawing their guns, when they were about to shoot and what you could do to avoid those shots. Even if the shooter was off-camera you could still deal with it every time, no problems. Now in Unity everyone has guns and there's no indication of when they're going to shoot you. The game pops up a tooltip saying 'Press X to dodge gunshots', but when you have no idea when the shot is actually coming that really doesn't help you at all. I know the little crosshairs icon gets brighter as the enemy gets closer to shooting, but I've tried experimenting with it and I've never dodged a single shot.

Enemies that can just one-shot you from off-screen with no warning is 100% bullshit. I know they're trying to get away from the old style of gameplay where your lone assassin could solo a whole army base full of dudes, but there are better ways of doing that than cutting your health to one tenth of what it used to be and depriving you of the abilities you used to have.

The game's combat difficulty is definately artificial; it's difficult for the sake of being difficult. I'm more than okay with ramping up the challenge because in all fairness it was way too easy in previous games, but I feel they went a bit too far with some stuff by removing human shield [or grab in general] and double counters.

The ideas are all good [love the addition of heavy/quick attacks and all that], it needed a bit more tweaking.

No idea, haven't unlocked that skill yet. Is it even worth it? Arno can survive pretty huge leaps anyway.

Their shooting reticle brightens when they're about to shoot, but the problem is that you can't actually dodge them if you're not actively in combat. The amount of times I've gotten shot from afar because I'd already killed everyone around me...

Skux

My companion app just reset......

Same, log in again and you should be fine.

Looks like uPlay is in maintenance again so it might not be fully functional.

I tried to do that preorder team site thing but I couldn't since I wasn't in the uk. So not fair.

Actually it might be an error after reading that uPlay was in maintenance. I guess I'll just have to wait for things to start working... again.

DOWN

Banned
When you go to Rewards you will see at the bottom of the list Soundtrack + Comic Book for 500 points.

Nice. I'm curious if it's the full version too.

I tried to do that preorder team site thing but I couldn't since I wasn't in the uk. So not fair.

Oddly, it shows many people in it are UK and US. But I'm in the US and couldn't get in it either. Supposedly it was a promotion with GAME. The worst part is that you could get a really easy 2000 UPlay points for it.

d9b

Banned
Loving the game so far on ps4

The amount of customisation with your assassin is insane.

Paris is insane. The amount of graphical detail. Hell the game can look photo realistic at times.

Going around as an assassin in this city is so much fun. The side missions are actually fun this time around.
No frame rate issues what so ever, since I turned 'motion flow' ON on my hdtv. It introduces a little bit of input lag but not much. The framerate is smooth now and only get a very small hitch when there's lots and lots of people.

Overall really great game.
Is pop-in as bad for you as gifs and videos?

Moodz

This game is amazing and addictive.
It's sad that most people seem to only talk about performance issues and glitches.
I only had one "through the ground" glitch on ps4, and the frame rate can really dip sometimes but it's generally smooth for me. I think people are exaggerating the issues...

The city and atmosphere are incredible, the lighting just looks too real sometimes, the gameplay is better, the customization is really cool, the side quests are interesting and I've yet to see a chore mission like almost all the missions in Black Flag.

This is one of the most ambitious games of all time, with the bad and good that can come with it.
I think it might be the best Assassin's Creed game ever if the story doesn't totally go to shit towards the end...

Are there any owners of the Season Pass that are missing content?

I have it on XB1, and I'm supposed to unlock the 3 pre-order missions as part of owning / purchasing the Season Pass (Chemical revolution etc), however, it's not downloading or unlocked at all.

Skux

Nice. I'm curious if it's the full version too.

Oddly, it shows many people in it are UK and US. But I'm in the US and couldn't get in it either. Supposedly it was a promotion with GAME. The worst part is that you could get a really easy 2000 UPlay points for it.

The points is only a placeholder to mask the fact that they were uPlay rewards. When you got a Unite reward you gain 500 points, then 500 is subtracted as though you redeemed the reward through uPlay.

I've only finished the first 6 sequences so far but I kind of feel this game got a bit of a raw deal from reviewers. Unless the story just tanks in the second half of the game I just can't imagine what's constituting reviews amounting to the lowest of all main line AC games.

In my opinion it's definitely on par with the Ezio trilogy and even better in some aspects. Hopefully after they patch some of the technical issues it can start garnering a bit better word of mouth because I think Ubisoft deserves some credit for how great Unity is.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
10264132_725350117550565_3228275526605488516_o.jpg

Certinty

The only AC I really liked prior to this game was II, and so far Unity is right up there so it is at least doing something right. Honestly the framerate doesn't bother me much, it's just the pop-in which is my biggest problem.

DOWN

Banned
The points is only a placeholder to mask the fact that they were uPlay rewards. When you got a Unite reward you gain 500 points, then 500 is subtracted as though you redeemed the reward through uPlay.

I wanted to use them on those rewards anyway. I don't like not having all of a game's content.

With the chickens hanging from the ceiling and everything

RIP

Mendax

Anyone know at what point the nomad chests unlock in the main game? Done a fair few nomad missions on the app now and they're all still locked...

tap on a mission icon to open the menu with 3 missions and then look at the top at that screen for rewards, usually there are 2 chests and 1 AC icon meaning a mission. If you do all three missions in that tab once you unlock the first reward icon and so on until you do the entire set 3 times and unlock the final one

Mendax

Are there any owners of the Season Pass that are missing content?

I have it on XB1, and I'm supposed to unlock the 3 pre-order missions as part of owning / purchasing the Season Pass (Chemical revolution etc), however, it's not downloading or unlocked at all.

i'm not sure if the promotional content is part of the season pass. Are you? in any case, i also don't seem to have it on ps4 and i do have a season pass..

bryanee

i'm not sure if the promotional content is part of the season pass. Are you? in any case, i also don't seem to have it on ps4 and i do have a season pass..

There are three other pieces of dlc separate from the china game and the other main single player dlc that you should be getting.

Removing Hostage and Whistleing was a mistake. The new combat system isn't fun. It's steathing until the game screws me over and then dropping smoke and murdering everyone. I'm also highly suspicious that reworking the system was done so they could sell boosts to make it easier. I want the old combat back.

The single glitchiest and most immersion-breaking thing in this game are the NPCs, and considering it was the feature they were trumpeting most prior to the game's release, that's pretty ironic.

At times their copy/paste nature just feels very artificial. They're also very glitchy and their clothes are popping in all the time.

Not a big fan of their incomprehensible and loud French chatter all the time either.

Other than problems with the NPCs and the occasional fake looking floaty animation, I'm enjoying the game a lot.

Bollocks

the PS4 version is really up there with Bayonetta and Skyrim PS3 as the worst technical disasters I've played. Everything that can go wrong with a game except tearing is there

actually it's just like the very first assassins creed on PS3

Its pretty bad even at 60 on pc. I think the combat is just worse in general.

dex3108

Combat is fine for me. There is no chain attack (at least for now) and that is good for me. I am using block and roll often but in situations with 4+ enemies i just run away XD

Mogwai

Asking again. Is it possible to view detailed stats like distance traveled, distance climbed etc.? Haven't found a 'time played' stat either.

Top Bottom