• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Yoday

I found when trying to go into windows at least from the side you should let go of the trigger and just use the stick, it's usually a delayed swing animation to get in. But yeah even doing that it can really slow you down, but it at least cuts down on the awkwardness. Also I agree they should've cut down on the NPCs I think they could've achieved mostly the same effect with a lot less for the sake of performance.
I feel like a lot of people missed the tutorial pop up that says to press L2 (LT) to enter windows.

quetz67

Banned
10 minutes or so of me going about my way in Paris. Switch to 1080p.

You can see why I find it hard to dislike.

Fucking awesome looking game. All the NPCs make it look so real, even their reactions are fine for the most part (not suprised they glitch quite often, must be really complex to handle all the content).Thanks Ubi for going all out and deliver such a true next gen game. Amount of detail and lighting is on par with initial Alpha reveal.

Doing co-op and heists now. The more I play the more I've come to think that the technical issues can and will be resolved, but the tweaks to gameplay are really hurting the title. This game is quickly plummeting to the worst AC slot in my books.

Lol for heists you can just shoot a bunch of berserk blades, it doesn't lower the reward value. Sit back and wait.

This game is as hard as you make it. Phantom Blade is very deadly. I've turned all UI elements off except mission updates and it makes the challenge much better. But it's not as easy as previous games, but it's still easy.

Finished the single player campaign tonight, rushing a bit so I can trade it in before GTA/DA/Far Cry. Probably my least favorite Assassins Creed, and I have liked all of them and even thought AC3 was tolerable.

Beyond all the massive performance issues, which get absolutely miserable in the last two chapters, I just thought the story was very weak and Arno was more boring than even Conner which is quite an accomplishment. They really detached the game from the Assassins order, the Templars, and previous game lore - I never really felt part of the Assassins, just a random guy doing quests.

Paris was the star though, it was really fun running around the city and exploring and reading the codex entries. The android app and mini game were miserable and I just deleted it after a while, far too frustrating and buggy/slow. It definitely felt at times though they tried to mold the Revolution real life stories to some sort of game framework, instead of using it as a backdrop to a more interesting Assassins vs. Templars story.

After Christmas I'll probably go back and replay AC4, that was one of my favorite games. I could spend hours just roaming the seas being a pirate and looking for treasure.

woen

Oh god these co-op missions solo are just impossible solo

I understand why they removed them from the free roam game, they can spot you everywhere and you can shoot them if you're not at a proper range (which menas you need the last rifle). And you don't know when they shoot you, so you're killed and you go back to the fucking beginning of the fucking mission

And god the parkour navigation is glitchy, you just CAN'T get no another level on the rooftop quickly and simply, going out/in a window is pretty impossible the first time, so you get spotted, you get killed and here we go again

Dahbomb

I feel like a lot of people missed the tutorial pop up that says to press L2 (LT) to enter windows.
I did read that but that takes longer to do get in then just going through it the normal way (which is straight forward + R2).

Thanks, can always count on you for some in-depth input. Sounds like an improvement in terms of enemy encounters but the actual fighting mechanics is still janky. Wish Ubi would just dedicate a whole team to polish up the combat mechanics after all these games having the same problems and input registers.
I don't understand why they need to devote more resources to combat in a game that is about platforming and stealth. They should instead bring back stuff like whistle/distracting tactics and fine tuned the stealth/platforming.

The input buffering/lag could definitely be improved though. Combat is still laggy as fuck.

apowhungo

(which menas you need the last rifle)

whats this about the most expensive rifle? can you snipe from far away? lol

ive found the combat to be pretty easy once you die from each of the varying enemy types 10+ times and learn what you need to do... but those friggen snipers one shot me every gdamn time.

renovated all cafes and am getting $$ to buy the top top ish before story missions... if my armors maxed will i still get sniped one shot? its bs

webkatt

I like the game but I feel they really killed the who "assassin" aspect. I am on the Cafe Theatre Mission, Foxy Renard and I am finding it impossible. Without the lures/attracts of prior games getting a stealth path is impossible. Going in guns blazing is also not an option with the new combat system.

In a nutshell, guns are bullshit in this game. You can see the attack coming from a mile away but are basically powerless to defend against them.

NicoLeNano

Neo Member
I spent a few hours in AC Unity this morning (the "prologue" and the beginning in Paris) and graphically I found it awesome. It's truely "Next Gen", lightning, smoke effects, dust, etc..
Also liked the actors. The game is not really ambitious in its storyline but it helps to believe in the events that occurs during it. And in fact... it's gorgeous. I mean that this is what I want from an AAA like Assassin's Creed.
There is a long phase of learning the new abilities and the first thing I noticed is that the game is really demanding (not hard, demanding) in its gameplay phases (fight and stealth). And maybe for the first time, the game is giving us the tools to accomplish the asked tasks. The fights are more precise, and the stealth abilities are finally providing the 'Crouch and Cover' classic system. And it works !...
Concerning the storyline, Arno is never the actor of the events but the witness. I really appreciate the good old historical movie feeling.

And Elise is absolutely beautiful..

And Paris is also beautiful..

woen

WTF

I got kicked out of a private co-op played solo, at the 3rd of the 3 objectives and after 30 minutes.

What a shitty glitch

Valonquar

Yep... Sony told me they would do a refund, and 10 hours later said
SIIIIIIIKE

PErbnah.jpg

Why have a support tech promise a refund if all sales are final?

I did read that but that takes longer to do get in then just going through it the normal way (which is straight forward + R2).

I don't understand why they need to devote more resources to combat in a game that is about platforming and stealth. They should instead bring back stuff like whistle/distracting tactics and fine tuned the stealth/platforming.

The input buffering/lag could definitely be improved though. Combat is still laggy as fuck.

Enjoying the game, feel the same as Nico so far but let me get this straight - I never get to whistle? I thought there would be an awkward romantic comedy cutscene where a girlfriend taught me to whistle or something. If there's no whistle that actually drastically changes what I got used to doing in the last couple games.

DOWN

Banned
SIIIIIIIKE

PErbnah.jpg

It looks less than promised. He explains how it would work and says he'll request one. Then just says you'll be notified by email after saying he'd make the request. Maybe try again with a different rep and have them do another request.

Valonquar

It looks less than promised. He explains how it would work and says he'll request one. Then just says you'll be notified by email after saying he'd make the request. Maybe try again with a different rep and have them do another request.

"Ok, in this case this will be refunded to the wallet of the PSN account"

+ The scope and delivery of heists, big assassinations and multi-stage missions are what AC games should have always been
+ Arno is a fantastic character
+ Paris is gorgeous
+ Movement is pretty great
+ Customisation system borders on genius

- They have no idea how to resolve the meta-story at all
- The chests system is the biggest monetisation design failure I've ever seen
- The main menu organisation is amateurish at best
- Uplay doesn't work and is bad and they should feel bad

Super bad performance and bugs on a gorgeous game are like getting not just one or two, but six or seven hairs on a steak at a nice restaurant. You want the steak, you could almost forgive it, but nah, you gotta send it back.

I like that the Order is being brought back up to a certain level of prominence in Unity. I really felt like Edward soiled it by killing a highly trained assassin and taking his clothes for some reason.

The lack of modern day activity sucks

SIIIIIIIKE

PErbnah.jpg

I thought Sony made it clear refunds weren't available unless only required by law [(assuming you don't live in a state where it is required by law (which it doesn't seem like it is.)]

Haunted

Super bad performance and bugs on a gorgeous game are like getting not just one or two, but six or seven hairs on a steak at a nice restaurant. You want the steak, you could almost forgive it, but nah, you gotta send it back.
Quite possibly the best analogy I've seen in this thread yet.

theWB27

.[/SPOILER] >If you haven't beat the game...don't read the spoiler!<Have to say..after finishing the story it's by far the weakest of the Creeds. The people who clamour for the present day
stuff to get removed got their wish and the story suffered heavily for it. It's basically a simple love story without the larger implications the present day used to throw in. Highly disappointed in that. I hope this was just a product of getting the first next gen Creed out and it returns next year.
>If you haven't beat the game...don't read the spoiler!<

The city is wondrous. I thought GTA5 had allot of ambiance. This is on the same level as it...it's amazing the amount of things the NPC's do while you sit back and watch. Just now I saw a woman holding the back-end of a trailer up while a guy tried to put the wheel on. I walked up and held it up also...although he still couldn't the wheel on. Watching the guillotine beheading never gets old. Oh...watched a theater production and listened to some music in the rich district. So sad my rental is over.

benzy

I guess the stealth was so shallow before I never even considered it a stealth-focused game. In previous installments the platforming basically just played itself, hold a button and push forward to auto-climb, auto-jump, auto-grab, so I just never found it to be much of complex platformer either that they wouldn't have time to polish up other gameplay aspects.

Hand-to-hand combat ended up playing a pretty large part in my playthroughs, even once you stealth assassinate someone, guards will come running and you either run away or choose to fight. I never found it fun to run away since it was so easy to evade them. There were parts in the story where you were also forced in certain events to fight against story characters, so I guess I sort of found the combat to be equally as important as some of the other gameplay aspects.

Yasae

Banned
I like the game but I feel they really killed the who "assassin" aspect. I am on the Cafe Theatre Mission, Foxy Renard and I am finding it impossible. Without the lures/attracts of prior games getting a stealth path is impossible. Going in guns blazing is also not an option with the new combat system.

In a nutshell, guns are bullshit in this game. You can see the attack coming from a mile away but are basically powerless to defend against them.
Cherry bombs are lures.

jtar86

Despite all the short comings of this game the core gameplay is fucking fantastic. This is easily the best game since 2. If they would have took their time to polish this game until next year it would have been phenomenal. I don't see why they just didn't port last gen ac to new consoles and give this some more time in the oven. Oh well.

DOWN

Banned
"Ok, in this case this will be refunded to the wallet of the PSN account"
Yeah, I saw that but I can see how it could be him just explaining what would happen in this situation and making it clear the request won't be for cash, and he proceeds to say he will make the request.

I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since the second.

Did they remove the ability to kill innocent people? I know you could kill 1 or 2 without getting desynchronized.

Also can you no longer grab and throw people?

Braag

The combat feels so slow, cumbersome and above all unresponsive with a whole bunch of animation glitches. Also a single rifle shot kills Arno which can be pretty annoying when you enter an area with rifle men on each rooftop.

That shit only works if you're hanging right on the window frame, in my experience, and if you can get to that point you're basically there anyway. Trying to transition from a wall to a balcony into a window in this game is way more challenging than any assassination.

Every time they overhaul the parkour in AC they only seem to make it worse. I really appreciate the Free Run Down ability, but the crazy booster rocket jumps you can make with Free Run Up make the classic AC problem of random jumping into empty space for no reason worse than ever. All of a sudden you're on a totally different building, or you were nicely squared off to jump through a window and you end up going over the building instead because it's just quicker than having to reset and fumble your way back again. Plus I feel like Arno's the finickiest climber of all the assassins so far. I can't count the number of times he's just stopped dead on a wall, unable to find any handholds that don't upset his delicate sensibilities, when I just need him to fucking go because I'm being shot at.

Must be underground. I guess try going underground from the nearby stair icon there.

it was a well hidden ladder on the roof, leading down to the second floor

No :/ can't believe they locked it behind that initiates bullshit.

Altairs is from the app, according to the menu. No idea how far along u have to be to get it though. I am pretty damn far in, and have seen no mention of it. Hopefully they get the right numbers in the initiates thing, I should have more...probably enough for Ezios

aeolustl

uhhhhh the new initiates website is worse than the old one.

The data is not sync (for me, ACU and AC:LHD)

There is no sync button (it has before)

And all the badges...I lost most of them

uhhhhh the new initiates website is worse than the old one.

The data is not sync (for me, ACU and AC:LHD)

There is no sync button (it has before)

And all the badges...I lost most of them

For me it says stuff like Assassins creed 2: 67% sync, story not started. Ive never used initiates before this game, so I am hoping I dont have to go back into each game for it to register them again...i dont have them anymore

aeolustl

For me it says stuff like Assassins creed 2: 67% sync, story not started. Ive never used initiates before this game, so I am hoping I dont have to go back into each game for it to register them again...i dont have them anymore

Connect old game to online will just gain xp, which should be able to earn by completing different missions in-game after accept them on Initiates.

But, there is no mission right now, so the only way to earn xp is to link the old game :/

I wish they put back the modern day storyline back to initiates

Mogwai

Between all my critique of the game, I gotta hand it to Ubisoft for making a beautiful map. I love that you can navigate and see it all in 3D.

Top Bottom