• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Dahbomb

The negative reviews are generally due to the following:

*Performance is pretty awful.

*Shit ton of NPCs actually detracts from the experience because it's all a jittery and buggy mess of polygonal characters bumping into each other or the environment.

*The chest, microtransaction and companion app features are poorly done and also detract from the core experience (running into Blue/Yellow chests must be an eyesore for OCD people).

*A fuck ton of collectives in the game. The map when you don't filter anything looks like a god damn mess. They need to have cut down the collectives along with the NPCs to reduce the clutter in the game.

*Online issues still persist and some people have to port forward to deal with the issue (myself included).

*Bugs and glitches galore. Game screams of being rushed and not properly tested in Q&A.

*The platforming changes aren't revolutionary and are still cumbersome/janky at times. When they work they work really well but when they don't like trying to runaway during combat or trying to get into a window the parkour system shows its ugly side. I would still argue that this is a net improvement for the game.

I still feel that the core game and scope of the game are very good. The game should've been lambasted for its issues and its good to see the media call them out. That said if the performance issues are ironed out this game would be a solid 8 or above.

The real issue is GAF unfairly hate bandwagoning the game without playing the game.

can anyone tell me where de sade villa is? its not showing up on my map for a murder mystery, and I really dont want to start the whole thing over again to fix it lol

Edit: nvm found it

TheRed

*Shit ton of NPCs actually detracts from the experience because it's all a jittery and buggy mess of polygonal characters bumping into each other or the environment.

*The chest, microtransaction and companion app features are poorly done and also detract from the core experience (running into Blue/Yellow chests must be an eyesore for OCD people).

*A fuck ton of collectives in the game. The map when you don't filter anything looks like a god damn mess. They need to have cut down the collectives along with the NPCs to reduce the clutter in the game.

*Online issues still persist and some people have to port forward to deal with the issue (myself included).

*Bugs and glitches galore. Game screams of being rushed and not properly tested in Q&A.

*The platforming changes aren't revolutionary and are still cumbersome/janky at times. When they work they work really well but when they don't like trying to runaway during combat or trying to get into a window the parkour system shows its ugly side. I would still argue that this is a net improvement for the game.

I still feel that the core game and scope of the game are very good. The game should've been lambasted for its issues and its good to see the media call them out. That said if the performance issues are ironed out this game would be a solid 8 or above.

The real issue is GAF unfairly hate bandwagoning the game without playing the game.

I found when trying to go into windows at least from the side you should let go of the trigger and just use the stick, it's usually a delayed swing animation to get in. But yeah even doing that it can really slow you down, but it at least cuts down on the awkwardness. Also I agree they should've cut down on the NPCs I think they could've achieved mostly the same effect with a lot less for the sake of performance.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Good thing this whole "always online next-gen consoles" thing didn't happen after all, lol.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I did an online coop mission and it was genuinely awful. Wow. Just a bunch of random chaos and killing shit. Then one player took 10 minutes to "Escape" from the zone. Not doing that again. Poonity.

Dahbomb

Is online completely busted? I have been trying to get into public co-op events and it just searches forever....
Read the previous page.

You have to give your PS4 a static IP address by going into Network settings.

Then you have to go your Router settings on your browser (PC or PS4) and enable the new IP in your DMZ.

This will allow you to play online. It worked for me as I had your exact same problem.

Gaz_RB

I did an online coop mission and it was genuinely awful. Wow. Just a bunch of random chaos and killing shit. Then one player took 10 minutes to "Escape" from the zone. Not doing that again. Poonity.

Yeah playing with randoms is horrible. I've had some really great experiences playing with people I know though. Slow, methodical, and well planned. It's a lot of fun.

Read the previous page.

You have to give your PS4 a static IP address by going into Network settings.

Then you have to go your Router settings on your browser (PC or PS4) and enable the new IP in your DMZ.

This will allow you to play online. It worked for me as I had your exact same problem.

You are indeed... dahbomb. Thanks much, if anyone wants to co-op some my PSN is Seantendo64

DOWN

Banned
Someone needs to tell Ubi that collectibles aren't content, so stop adding layers and layers of collectibles icons to the map. One type is enough. The map looks like a mess. You can't even see the buildings.

And I'm convinced someone is trying to kill Ubi from inside because whoever told them to have not one set of locked objects linked to a companion app, but instead two sets linked to two different companion apps, was creating an obvious PR fuck up and succeeded. They look like greedy morons desperate for social media buzz.

benzy

What do you think of the combat system? Best in the series, a slight improvement, or pretty much the same old janky combat?

giphy.gif

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Is online completely busted? I have been trying to get into public co-op events and it just searches forever....

I played online only 2 times. It was pretty chaotic and laggy as hell. Awful to say the least.
I was hoping for some competitive MP just like the previous AC, but they removed it.

DOWN

Banned
Anyone know how online outfits work? Like do other players just appear in random clothes or is it clothing they've selected but set to the color designated for the match?

The core underlying issue is that it's a good game with a shitload of bugs to work out. Great? Maybe not. But it's not unfixable-levels-of-shit like Sonic Boom. That's buggy AND shitty.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Anyone know how online outfits work? Like do other players just appear in random clothes or is it clothing they've selected but set to the color designated for the match?
You see the outfits and gear that other players are wearing. The only thing that changes about them is the face.

Dahbomb

What do you think of the combat system? Best in the series, a slight improvement, or pretty much the same old janky combat?
The main improvement in the combat is that you can't take on 15 high levels enemies at once or at least not easily. Enemies pull out pistols if you are at a distance from them, even basic enemies have a pistol. The bullets do a ton of damage.

The parry system they have in place is very easy and makes fights with 3 or less combatants a joke. Combined that with the Staggered hits and you can crush enemies in smaller groups. In larger groups they won't let you do a Stagger hit that easily and you really only have enough time to do rolls... even a successful parry can get you killed if someone shoots you.

The animations of the combat are much improved but the combat overall is still very janky. You try to do a Stagger hit but it doesn't come out or you try to do a tackle and you get a roll instead. The finishers have a lot of cool animations so that looks good.

The combat succeeds in its design for the first time for the series... you can't take on large groups easily and in that situation it's easier to go for stealth. However even then if I feel there are under 9 enemies in the area and I am in a hurry... I will yolo them. So it's still not hard enough to warrant being in a stealth game but it's probably the least broken it has ever been in the series.

Combat performance is also greatly impacted by framerate, the game's inherent input lag during combat and online lag. This is not a PG tier fluid combat obviously.

they didn't even bother doing anything entertaining with the present day setting or story line. am i the only one that finds this disappointing?

FiraB

Banned
It's pretty bad when even at the $32 I got the game for I think it's not worth it, fucking games a mess and not to mention the random freezes that keep happening and then 15 seconds later it starts playing again like nothing happened.

Online isn't fun either, 12 matches and I haven't had one that didn't just turn into a slaughter fest because there is no reason to stealth.

Corgi

Banned
question for that sequence 5 assassination.

I picked up a map of the guard patrol route or something, but I have no clue where I can access it in the menus... which made it pointless? Did I miss something obvious?

they didn't even bother doing anything entertaining with the present day setting or story line. am i the only one that finds this disappointing?

Thank god they did get rid of it. They haven't done anything meaningful with the present day storyline since AC2. They've just let it flounder around letting fans imagine what could be.

Corgi

Banned
I wish there was more the player could do... like some chick just randomly hijacked my medieval game to play this buggy french revolution game instead. I'd quit the game and start a thread on gaf.

The core underlying issue is that it's a good game with a shitload of bugs to work out. Great? Maybe not. But it's not unfixable-levels-of-shit like Sonic Boom. That's buggy AND shitty.

The core underlying issue is that I've played Assassin's Creed 6 times before and the marginal improvements in the basic gameplay mechanics aren't enough to outweigh the feeling that I've seen and done it all before. 6 times.

pixlexic

Banned
do word everyone's having so much trouble and I haven't had hardly any problems.

In fact I will say this is my favorite in the series so far.

zkorejo

question for that sequence 5 assassination.

I picked up a map of the guard patrol route or something, but I have no clue where I can access it in the menus... which made it pointless? Did I miss something obvious?

Use Eagle Vision to see the route of the target and then hide and wait for him to arrive.

Amir0x

Banned

I thought you said you were doing with UbiFactory games? Y2Kev, noo

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Two spoiler questions:
1. Do we learn the ultimate fate of Connor?
2. Does Shay from Rogue show up? The
beginning doesn't count

They haven't done anything meaningful with the present day storyline since AC2. They've just let it flounder around letting fans imagine what could be.

because the imagination is better than anything Ubisoft can come up with lol im surprised nobody is giving them shit about this.

ZeroX03

Banned
Doing co-op and heists now. The more I play the more I've come to think that the technical issues can and will be resolved, but the tweaks to gameplay are really hurting the title. This game is quickly plummeting to the worst AC slot in my books.

Lol for heists you can just shoot a bunch of berserk blades, it doesn't lower the reward value. Sit back and wait.

benzy

The main improvement in the combat is that you can't take on 15 high levels enemies at once or at least not easily. Enemies pull out pistols if you are at a distance from them, even basic enemies have a pistol. The bullets do a ton of damage.

The parry system they have in place is very easy and makes fights with 3 or less combatants a joke. Combined that with the Staggered hits and you can crush enemies in smaller groups. In larger groups they won't let you do a Stagger hit that easily and you really only have enough time to do rolls... even a successful parry can get you killed if someone shoots you.

The animations of the combat are much improved but the combat overall is still very janky. You try to do a Stagger hit but it doesn't come out or you try to do a tackle and you get a roll instead. The finishers have a lot of cool animations so that looks good.

The combat succeeds in its design for the first time for the series... you can't take on large groups easily and in that situation it's easier to go for stealth. However even then if I feel there are under 9 enemies in the area and I am in a hurry... I will yolo them. So it's still not hard enough to warrant being in a stealth game but it's probably the least broken it has ever been in the series.

Combat performance is also greatly impacted by framerate, the game's inherent input lag during combat and online lag. This is not a PG tier fluid combat obviously.

Thanks, can always count on you for some in-depth input. Sounds like an improvement in terms of enemy encounters but the actual fighting mechanics is still janky. Wish Ubi would just dedicate a whole team to polish up the combat mechanics after all these games having the same problems and input registers.

Joeki11a

Banned
That was Patrice & Jades ideas the whole present day stuff died with their departure, notice desmond is dead vidic also and abstergo is a damn joke parody of ubisoft.

Present day having the gamer be the star is stupid, needs to stop get another character

Where the Fuck is Juno? minerva to!
the end of AC3 made it seem she would return!

pixlexic

Banned
So what's the deal with the cool mirror effect?

At first I thought it was just a cube map but it seems it really does relect the room object ?

DOWN

Banned
I don't believe anyone saying they aren't having frame rate issues. They just aren't sensitive to it. It's almost always running in the mid to low 20s and it's really awful.

Corgi

Banned
curious if its a cpu issue. didn't notice any noticeable framerate differences around those fancy windows on pc.

frame hits are usually really random places.

Top Bottom