• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

The game does a shit job for explaining literally everything involving chests, companion apps, Nomad shit, microtransactions, literally everything outside of the main storyline and co-op.

Is there an easy breakdown about this stuff anywhere? I want to unlock shit and don't understand how.

Mendax

The game does a shit job for explaining literally everything involving chests, companion apps, Nomad shit, microtransactions, literally everything outside of the main storyline and co-op.

Is there an easy breakdown about this stuff anywhere? I want to unlock shit and don't understand how.

it's pretty easy to figure out :) but in case you don't want to:

there is only one app (called just Assassins Creed Unity in the store) that is the companion app and you need this to unlock the blue chests. In the app you control a brotherhood of assassins called the Nomad Brotherhood that you send on missions like you did in AC:B to AC3 and like the ships in AC4. If you complete a set of 3 missions in 1 location in the app you unlock the first reward you see on top of that location mission tab, if you do the entire set of three missions 3 times you unlock everything there (usually 2 blue chests and 1 mission for the main game).

gold chests are initiate chests which is the internet profile you can sign up to from the main menu. These include only cash and some legacy outfits. Gold chests are gated to initiate levels and currently you gain levels by having progressed through earlier games. Soon there will also be daily challenges etc. for AC: unity that will likely level you up without having played all older games. These gold chests dont offer much though unless you hold older games in sentimental value as their cash bonus is negligible compared to what you can earn in game through the cafe theatre.

red chests require lockpicking skill but i dont recommend going for them until after act 9 because there is no indication what level lock they have on the map and only after act 9 will you be able to buy the master lockpick skill and open all chests/doors.

(the IGN dude that said he kept running into chests that he couldnt open to his surprise must have been colorblind. Or there were no colors to chest icons in pre-release game....)

microtransactions are only time savers and are obsolete once you start to progress anyway.

Really wish these side missions weren't all so half assed.

Go across the city and kill a guy. Or steal shit.

That's about it.

Murder mystery is OK. But they are rare.

Maybe better ones are later.

Also no whistle makes cover kills near impossible to pull off.

yes they get alot better. especially in the club houses south of the Seine; I did some ones with actual stories/lore and multiple steps to them today which i really enjoyed.

Dahbomb

Gold Chests : Tied to Initiate system which are basically rewards from playing older AC games. The chests unlock legacy costumes. NOT REQUIRED FOR TROPHY/ACHIEVEMENT TO OPEN ALL CHESTS.

Blue Chests : Tied to Nomad system which is the Companion app. You do missions on the Companion app and it unlocks the Blue chests NOT REQUIRED FOR TROPHY/ACHIEVEMENT.

Red Chests : Need lock picking skill to unlock, each red chest had up to 3 bars indicating their level. You need to open these for Trophy/Achievement for Chests.

Nomad points: These are two pointy white icons that you can collect in game which will give you points on your Companion app.

Currency:

Sync points: These are the Assassin Creed symbol currency (the fancy A). You use these to unlock Skills. You get them from playing the single player campaign and co op missions (non Heists)... that's it. You can't get them again if you complete the single player missions. In co op missions there are free Sync points lying around the map and in one mission you can get up to 6 points which is a lot.

Livre: These are the basic currency you get which act like real money (they are the fancy F sign). You use them to buy consumable itemz, weapons and equipments from the shop. Weapons and equipments are purchasable at any time but you need to visit a store to buy consumables.

Creed points: These are the 3 box like currency thing. You acquire these by doing combat/stealth/platforming based actions in the game like performing air assassinations, finishers or using lifts. You use these to Upgrade equipments and weapons only.

Helix points: This a fancy H looking symbol that is used to "hack" stuff. These are real world money currency however through Uplay you can get some Helix currency as well. Used to buy Equipment/weapons as well as Upgrade them. Completely not necessary.

UPoints: You acquire these from playing missions but mostly from doing Online missions like Co op missions. You unlock them in Uplay so you have
to be signed up for that (which you need to do anyway to sync your companion app and Initiate profile). Uplay unlocks a bunch of stuff like passive boosts, artwork, H currency etc.

Various equipment/unlockables in the game:

There are various things you can unlock in the game which you need to see some list. These are all optional. These are some of the conditions for unlocking them.

Beat Single player - You get a Legendary sword for example
Beat Co op missions - Every mission has 3 items you can unlock
Play Club events/missions - Unlocks the highest tier item in a category although comparable items are purchasable through normal means.
Do Crowd events - Unlocks a few lower to mid tier items
Do Murder mysteries - Unlocks a few lower to mid tier items
Acquire Cockades - Unlocks various Color schemes
Acquire Artworks - Unlocks some items
Nostradamus puzzles - Unlocks that armor underground
Gain Initiate levels (by playing old AC games) - Unlock legacy costumes
Play Nomad missions on companion app - Unlock Blue chests

The microtransation stuff is irrelevant and is outpaced by stuff you do in game. You can get 34K Livre in under 20 mins by doing Cafe missions + Social club renovates.

Yibby

Someone left a good tip - the cherry bombs replace the whistle for luring. Although kanuuna says it doesn't always work.

I'm doing something different. Wait till a guard sees you (red indicator) and then go into cover. He will investigate the last position which is your cover position and you can stealth kill him.

Bollocks

why can I only join some of my friends in coop?

2 friends playing, invite me -> connection failed
I play with a friend, invite a 3rd -> connection failed for the 3rd
get invite from friend who's playing solo -> connection failed.
same friend invites another friend -> no problem o_O

Dahbomb

I thought they were getting rid of tail missions with fail conditions. No?
There's like two of them in the main campaign at the most. The worst one was the boat one I think. If there's a tail mission later on then you don't fail if you get spotted or if you are too far back, you just find them again and it's all good.

Nothing absurd like the previous AC games at all.

cackhyena

I thought they were getting rid of tail missions with fail conditions. No?
At least you don't have to have them in your sight constantly for fear of a timer. I found this one way more lenient. I'm loving the sandbox nature of most missions now. Being able to go way outside the mission zone to replenish shit at a store is nice.

Mogwai

Never an AC game without a bug...

I tried the Companion app and sent 3 of my assassins on a mission. Then, for some reason, the mission got reset and my 3 assassins are now "Away" without any remaining time for when they return.

*sigh*

so whats up with the dlc? I have american prisoner and chemical revolution but dont see them in my game. I was thinking about getting killed by science from uplay as well.

Dahbomb

so whats up with the dlc? I have american prisoner and chemical revolution but dont see them in my game. I was thinking about getting killed by science from uplay as well.
I just did the Chemical Revolution yesterday. Don't know about American Prisoner, my copy didn't mention anything about it.

Cheska

How are some of you making so much money? I've upgraded about five social clubs, but can't afford to do any of the others since they're requiring 10k each to restore, and I'm getting less than 1000 currency each deposit. Is there something I'm missing? I don't see any new cafe missions either..

Dahbomb

How are some of you making so much money? I've upgraded about five social clubs, but can't afford to do any of the others since they're requiring 10k each to restore, and I'm getting less than 1000 currency each deposit. Is there something I'm missing? I don't see any new cafe missions either..
You have to do Cafe missions, not sure why you aren't seeing new Cafe missions. Have you renovated the Cafe to max tier? If not then do that because it's a priority and it MORE THAN MAKES THAT MONEY BACK.

You might be missing what I was missing. Did you renovate the cafe? Its a book right next to the income chest. Doing that unlocks more cafe missions. Im getting like 42,000 every hour or so I think

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There's like two of them in the main campaign at the most. The worst one was the boat one I think. If there's a tail mission later on then you don't fail if you get spotted or if you are too far back, you just find them again and it's all good.

Nothing absurd like the previous AC games at all.

I don't consider the Versailles infiltration at the beginning a tail mission, but I would add it as a mission that had the usual "get spotted, fail" crap. It made no sense once in the building, other than I guess "oops, you have no weapon to fight and there's no hand to hand combat, so we'll just make you fail". To have this at the start of the game was frustrating. Good thing it stops after this mission. ACIV was horrible mission-wise (tailing missions on foot, followed by tailing mission on boat, followed by tailing mission on foot again??), the missions are definitly better than most ACs, mainly thanks to better stealth support, although I think they need to keep on pushing towards this idea of missions that you do with as few constraints as possible, that's when it's fun.

The really positive point to me is how a lot of the side content now, like murder mysteries, are actually fun. In the past I avoided all that kind of stuff.

And also that multiplayer is basically single player but with buddies is great, everything you know how to do in single you can do in multiplayer, you can enjoy playing in the same world rather than the awful separate worlds of the previous multiplayer mode in the other ACs, etc. Here if someone sucks, I can still play because anything we are doing I could have done in single, I don't have to depend on anyone, and if I play with people I know it's really fun even if everything was to go wrong.

To me this is how multiplayer should be, not some separate game modes; give me the same game but let me play with others if I want, or let me play the same content alone if I want as well. We just need faster matchmaking, but this is true for all multiplayer games.

Cheska

You might be missing what I was missing. Did you renovate the cafe? Its a book right next to the income chest. Doing that unlocks more cafe missions. Im getting like 42,000 every hour or so I think

LOL! YEP! That's it. No wonder I couldn't find anything. Thank you so much.

d9b

Banned
Why can't they tone down the NPC crowd a little if that would help loading textures and frame rate? Is that even something they can do at this stage?

GavinUK86

The sound quality is bugging me. Really horrible. Everything sounds really sub-par. LIke it's coming out of some really cheap, tinny speakers even though it isn't. Anyone else not noticing this?

Lakitu

st5fu
Impressions so far:

+Assassinations, I'm really enjoying the emphasis on them once again. It's felt like a while since they've been nothing other than a side-thought in the games. I'm only sequence 6 and they'd rather open-ended, although not as open-ended as I'd like. Maybe they'll open up a bit later?
+Heists, similar concept to the assassinations. Really enjoying stealthing my way through them.
+Murder mysteries, I've always been a sucker for this kind of content in games.
+Paris, I love the atmosphere and direction they've taken with it. It's made me realise I've missed the more urban-centric Assassin's Creeds.
+Lighting is wonderful.
+Arno seems like a decent protagonist and feels like he has some of the charisma that made Ezio so great.

-Performance is still very bad at points.
-Why does Arno just hang on to anything? Like a chair on the street,
-Paris stories, rifts just feel like fluff at this point.
-Story isn't really gripping me so far.
-Lack of ambient music.
-Chests and all their variables.

.... wut?

15772326076_c06fbca146_z.jpg

Corgi

Banned
It's funny how they promise to get rid of most tail or stealth instant fail missions, yet within the first few hours I've done 2 and failed them 3-4 times each. The new stealth system is better than just hiding in bushes but it's still super buggy which is odd when watch dogs did it alright.

Frog-fu

Banned
I want to get this game but I'm not gonna until it's fixed.

Just tell me, are the micro transactions and the companion app as bad as they're said to be?

MayMay

Banned
Finished the game, overall - I really really liked it and it's probably my #3 most liked AC game after AC2 and ACB..
but damn..
I was hoping for some kind of
payoff - or like.. anything regarding modern day. But this game does not advance the plot one bit. The whole game is like "So yea you gotta find this and do that" and at the end "Yea thanks but its all for nothing its not important anyways". I really like the modern day storyline but there's a huge lack of it in ACU... >_> I wonder when Ubi will finally continue what they started with the end of AC3.. Juno is out there god damn it.

Leeness

So people were posting about how to fix online problems with a static IP.

...I have no clue how. Can someone please outline this for me? :( Some tech things I am good with, this is not one of them.

Help!

Yasae

Banned
The sound quality is bugging me. Really horrible. Everything sounds really sub-par. LIke it's coming out of some really cheap, tinny speakers even though it isn't. Anyone else not noticing this?
I'm thinking there's some kind of HRTF going on? Try going to a social club and listening to a song.

It sounds a bit phasey on my bad headphones.

DukeBobby

It's nice to see some actual assassinations in an Assassin's Creed game. The (slightly) improved combat and traversal mechanics make the 'on-foot' stuff the best in the series so far, although that's not saying much.

Still, it's better than I was expecting so far.

Absolutely loving the game. It's my second favourite AC, AC2 being the first of course. However I don't want to carry on playing it until they sort out the frame rate issues. It's soo bad playing co-op and when it starts getting tough I find it barely playable. Really hoping they can relieve the issue somewhat. Farcry 4 and GTA will have my attention until they do.

Loakum

Banned
The co-op missions are pretty fun. I've yet to play with folks who actually approach it from a stealthy standpoint. Everybody seems to rush into battle, and I usually end up having to revive them.

the app is now unbearable...all remaining mission I have take over 8+ hours. I wish there was a way to speed friends up. Or just speed yourself up in general. If you got a speed boost, I would actually be tempted to buy that premium. Well, I guess u technically do get a boost for having more assassin slots

Yasae

Banned

Just tell me, are the micro transactions and the companion app as bad as they're said to be?
There aren't any microtransactions worth the money IMO, and none of them are forced. At this point I wouldn't list that as a notable point about the game.

The nomad and initiates chests are bad design decisions. I (like Karak) can't run the companion app on my phone and am thusly locked out of nomad chests for eternity. Ubisoft should never, ever, ever, ever, EVER have thought about doing this, as it only made their game score worse and probably didn't earn them much extra cash. Horrible choice!

But - I'm pretty sure they're mostly cosmetic items of which there are plenty of comparable choices stat-wise in-game. You won't miss them.

slop101

Banned
While it's still not where it should be, yesterday's patch noticeably improved things. I figure if they can do that within a week, in another week or two, they'll get it where it should've been at launch.

Dahbomb

.... wut?

15772326076_c06fbca146_z.jpg

So people were posting about how to fix online problems with a static IP.

...I have no clue how. Can someone please outline this for me? :( Some tech things I am good with, this is not one of them.
http://youtu.be/ZcGEvA9xs5c

Watch this guide, it explains everything well. Note that in the last section you don't need to port forward but you do need to enable DMZ for PS4 to get the online to work.

Yasae

Banned
Someone left a good tip - the cherry bombs replace the whistle for luring. Although kanuuna says it doesn't always work.
I'm not sure on their range, and the sparkly bits do have to be in plain view of the enemy. So they aren't always the best.

If you really need to clear the ranks, Berkserk Blade. You get 100 points for each berserk kill too. Watch your heavy swing into action!

Mifune

Mehmber
I think that years from now, when the smoke has cleared (or the game has been patched like crazy or remastered), Unity will be remembered fondly. It has a great main character, comprehensible storyline (high praise for this series), fun side stuff, nicely refined parkour mechanics, and - fucking finally - good assassinations.

The technical problems are indeed atrocious but in the end I don't think that's what the game will be remembered for...or at least I hope not. Btw playing offline does make the framerate better although it's still pretty poor.

I guess what I'm saying is that it deserves to be lambasted for its piss-poor issues, but at the same time its content should be getting more praise. How the content of watery Black Flag can get more acclaim while this handles the basics so much better is a bit beyond me.

I reserve the right to start hating the game as I get further into it, but for now I think it's good (horrendous tech problems aside that I wouldn't wish on my father's killer).

Beaulieu

Is it just me or it's super hard to navigate in this game's version of parkour ? Between the lower framerate, the super crowded streets and the added complexity of traversal, I never seem to be able to get where I want to get. seemed easier / more satisfying to me in earlier games of the serie...

After spending quite a bit of time exploring and doing some of the side-missions, I decided to continue with the story and try out co-op. I won't say much about the story, because I'm nowhere close to being done with it. Co-op, however, is fun and pretty difficult when your other team mates drop out and you're left to complete a 3-assassin job on your own. Also, I haven't come across any murder mysteries. Do they unlock after a certain sequence?

Is there a GAF club? I'm on PS4 as GustyGardens, so if anyone wants to add me to it, that'd be fun.

Yasae

Banned
The problem is that Ubisoft is willing to sacrifice playability to let us see beautiful still scenes. The PS4, and Xbone for that matter, just can't cope with the amount of stuff happening on the screen. In some of the segments where you play in an almost empty city you really get the sense of how great this game could have been in motion. I think it could have been a good compromise to decrease the amount of NPCs by 25% or so.

Also, I have never seen worse level of detail pop ins in a game. It's hillariously bad in Unity. If you start to pay slight attention to it the immersion is just gone. I don't understand how Ubisoft were satisfied with the NPCs changing textures even when you're standing 1 meter next to them. Flags and other items also seem to appear and dissapear quite randomly.

To sum up my post: It's not difficult to make a pretty game. The key is to make a game play well. Otherwise we might as well just watch some screenshots or a trailer and then be done with it.
Agreed.

What's worse is that the pop-in is still pretty noticeable even on PC. I'd wager Ubisoft was cheating LOD in some of their videos, namely the co-op mission from E3 2014. There's no way in hell that was on XB1 (or PS4, or even PC retail).

Yasae

Banned
I think that years from now, when the smoke has cleared (or the game has been patched like crazy or remastered), Unity will be remembered fondly. It has a great main character, comprehensible storyline (high praise for this series), fun side stuff, nicely refined parkour mechanics, and - fucking finally - good assassinations.

The technical problems are indeed atrocious but in the end I don't think that's what the game will be remembered for...or at least I hope not. Btw playing offline does make the framerate better although it's still pretty poor.

I guess what I'm saying is that it deserves to be lambasted for its piss-poor issues, but at the same time its content should be getting more praise. How the content of watery Black Flag can get more acclaim while this handles the basics so much better is a bit beyond me.

I reserve the right to start hating the game as I get further into it, but for now I think it's good (horrendous tech problems aside that I wouldn't wish on my father's killer).
I think it shows how console-centric reviews are nowadays. A lot of reviewers didn't even glance at the PC version, where framerate problems can be kept minimal (though it requires a rather good rig and not all hardware is optimal).

I'm not saying those problems shouldn't factor into the score for those versions, but a lot of reviews did ignore a version which might have scored higher. Is that fair either? I'd say: 50/50. It's at very least not thorough.

impact

Banned

If they don't fix it then all it will be remembered for is the technical mess that it is. If the game wasn't laggy, buggy, broken and ugly as fuck then I'd say it would be a good solid 7 or 8, but that's a huge IF and I have very little confidence Ubi will fix any of those issues. Game was played for 2 hours and is being sent to Gamefly. I don't have time to play a game this bad.

I'm upset I wasted a rental on this but I'm so glad I didn't buy it. Worst technical mess since Skyrim PS3.

Mogwai

Agreed.

What's worse is that the pop-in is still pretty noticeable even on PC. I'd wager Ubisoft was cheating LOD in some of their videos, namely the co-op mission from E3 2014. There's no way in hell that was on XB1 (or PS4, or even PC retail).
Those presentations are always a matter of deception showcase :/

But I really hate these pop in textures. It kills immersion for me completely. I think Dunia and CryEngine handle that much better. Those engines have some sort of blurry transition which makes it much smoother than just a simple pop in.

Dahbomb

If they don't fix it then all it will be remembered for is the technical mess that it is. If the game wasn't laggy, buggy, broken and ugly as fuck then I'd say it would be a good solid 7 or 8, but that's a huge IF and I have very little confidence Ubi will fix any of those issues. Game was played for 2 hours and is being sent to Gamefly. I don't have time to play a game this bad.

I'm upset I wasted a rental on this but I'm so glad I didn't buy it. Worst technical mess since Skyrim PS3.
The exaggerations here are ridiculous son. Worst mess since Skyrim? Come on now.

Top Bottom