• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Finished the story. It was pretty good overall, really liked the characters.
(Ending spoilers)
They're totally making a Napoleon sequel, aren't they? His campaign in Egypt would totally fit with the precursor shit.

I have no idea what that last scene where they come back to uncover the sage's remains means. Except that we know Arno and Bonaparte work together.

You know, it's really annoying how all this extra bullshit doesn't even fucking work if you spend the time doing it.

Building games around online functionality and then releasing them in states where none of this shit even works.

This gen kinda sucks.
That's a Ubi thing: Rayman Legends PS3 had awful challenge server issues they never cared to fix, AC4 on PS3 had a lot of issues with social events and AC4 on PS4 never got its double XP for playing consecutive days working.

Skux

PS4 USB captures look awful, it brings up a lot of weird artifacts, possibly caused by resizing the image.

However, Arno's ass looks fantastic in his tailored breeches.

b7Nopm0.jpg

I wanted to use them on those rewards anyway. I don't like not having all of a game's content.

Ah, well it looks like the amount was glitched too, the stuff I supposedly unlocked isn't showing up. I guess I'll just have to wait until they finally get uPlay 100% working.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They really have to rethink this whole uPlay/Initiates thing, it's just confusing and also depends too much on unstable networks. I don't think it brings much benefits at all, it probably has very negative impacts on reviews/sales/perception compared to whatever it brings.

axb2013

Just to confirm, Unity doesn't have an equivalent of Black Flag's Mayan armor?

I was positive that
Thomas de Carneillon armor
would be it, considering how long it took to get all of it's requirements, felt like a lot more work than Mayan armor quest.

woen

How do I get the third reward of a coop mission ? (and the two others sync points) I completed the mission 3 times, I only got 1 equipment each time (and 2 times the same), and I only have 2/4 points.

aeolustl

Is there any easy way to know if club member online?

I always want to find others to play coop online but I don't really know if anyone in the neogaf club on PC online

You know, it's really annoying how all this extra bullshit doesn't even fucking work if you spend the time doing it.

Building games around online functionality and then releasing them in states where none of this shit even works.

This gen kinda sucks.

ubisoft_loop.gif

I got pretty far into the Companion app.... but it just erased all my progress out of the blue. I absolutely do not want to start all over again. So there's a shit ton of chests I'll probably never open. Ubisoft really made some dumbass decisions on this game.

Its pretty bad even at 60 on pc. I think the combat is just worse in general.

Even when the game is running at 60, combat doesn't feel 60. Their animations always feel choppy. Like the game is running at a smooth 60 FPS, but the combat is stop motion. It's night and day going from Shadow of Mordor to this.

Corgi

Banned
ubisoft_loop.gif

Even when the game is running at 60, combat doesn't feel 60. Their animations always feel choppy. Like the game is running at a smooth 60 FPS, but the combat is stop motion. It's night and day going from Shadow of Mordor to this.
Pfffff I went from playing bayonetta 1 to this. Jesus.

I just wish counter and roll was more responsive.

Just to confirm, Unity doesn't have an equivalent of Black Flag's Mayan armor?

I was positive that
Thomas de Carneillon armor
would be it, considering how long it took to get all of it's requirements, felt like a lot more work than Mayan armor quest.

It seems like that's the only secret unlockable armour, which is a huge disappointment.
It's just Altair's armour in black, and as far as I can tell it doesn't give you any extra health or unique abilities. Huge waste of time unlocking it.

So is AC Initiates just broken for now? It's telling me I don't have any Uplay data for any other Assassin's Creed game, when I've played almost all of'em and definitely linked every single one of them to my Uplay account.

woen

OH MY GOD

Just completed a fucking 25.000F fucking 5 stars Paris stories mission

And the script at the end is fucked up, I've nothing marked on the fucking map, no reward and the mission is not available on the map

This game is fucking pre-alpha

axb2013

It seems like that's the only secret unlockable armour, which is a huge disappointment.
It's just Altair's armour in black, and as far as I can tell it doesn't give you any extra health or unique abilities. Huge waste of time unlocking it.

So is AC Initiates just broken for now? It's telling me I don't have any Uplay data for any other Assassin's Creed game, when I've played almost all of'em and definitely linked every single one of them to my Uplay account.

I've had no luck with initiates so far and honestly I've given up on all everything that links to online, even co-op. The chests I tried few times, didn't work and now I just avoid them. At least Uplay didn't interfere with the story missions.

And yeah, unlocking the armor was a waste of a time.
18 fragments and each was a 3-5 puzzles and the final 3 challenges, the entire time it felt like stalling and padding the game.
It doesn't even look that good, it's weird that it was so time consuming to get it without much in return.

Yasae

Banned
They really have to rethink this whole uPlay/Initiates thing, it's just confusing and also depends too much on unstable networks. I don't think it brings much benefits at all, it probably has very negative impacts on reviews/sales/perception compared to whatever it brings.
Yeah they should've never even. Never even. NEVER EVEN thought about it.

It doesn't make the game bad but it had a notable impact on review scores and a devastating effect on public perception (even though most of the "facts" are horseshit). It's only hurting sales; nothing is being helped, no extra money is being made rather money is being lost! It's terrible.

It almost reminds me of PlayOnline. Remember the gutted FF IX strategy guide which still sold for full price? You could technically access the content without paying, but the site never really worked. It's just a big "Why?". These things, they only murder sales.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah they should've never even. Never even. NEVER EVEN thought about it.

It doesn't make the game bad but it had a notable impact on review scores and a devastating effect on public perception (even though most of the "facts" are horseshit). It's only hurting sales; nothing is being helped, no extra money is being made rather money is being lost! It's terrible.

It almost reminds me of PlayOnline. Remember the gutted FF IX strategy guide which still sold for full price? You could technically access the content without paying, but the site never really worked. It's just a big "Why?". These things, they only murder sales.

It's really the kind of crap you are better off letting others break their faces over, and then learn from their mistakes. Maybe if this was some free to play game you could at least understand they're trying to generate revenue, but this is ASSASSIN'S CREED! It's a cashcow, so why risk it all to make chump change? It's like someone hijacked something successful to sell their crap through it.

It reminds me of how you would have expected Skyrim to be full of microtransaction bullshit, but nope, it was just an awesome game that was extremely successful as a result. Why push your luck?

The combat feels heavy this time around. It feels as though I'm having lag input but only in this game.

Felt the same. I think the animations are just way too long. Leave the long animations for the finisher. And it's another reason why being able to switch weapons on the fly would be great, so you could go for a faster weapon like hidden blades or Altair's short knives. You could do it on AC1 for god's sake!

The patch made my game much worse. I mean it doesn't crash as much, but it's CONSTANTLY stuttering and freezing for seconds at a time. I might revert....

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The patch made my game much worse. I mean it doesn't crash as much, but it's CONSTANTLY stuttering and freezing for seconds at a time. I might revert....

PS4? Supposedly it's the Companion App that does this. Play with your network cable unplugged, see if it helps.

Effect

What kind of home/town/etc building is the game this time? Anything as big as the homestead like in AC3? More personal like the ship from Black Flag?

Yasae

Banned
It's really the kind of crap you are better off letting others break their faces over, and then learn from their mistakes. Maybe if this was some free to play game you could at least understand they're trying to generate revenue, but this is ASSASSIN'S CREED! It's a cashcow, so why risk it all to make chump change? It's like someone hijacked something successful to sell their crap through it.

It reminds me of how you would have expected Skyrim to be full of microtransaction bullshit, but nope, it was just an awesome game that was extremely successful as a result. Why push your luck?
Exactly. If you even look at the way it's done, that's equally terrible. Is the companions app all that great? What about people who don't have compatible phones (because of course, that market doesn't change every ten seconds)? Why is initiates tied to how much shit you've done in the bajillion AC games? Why doesn't it have any way currently to earn points via a browser game or something? By the way, why aren't the club features implemented yet? It's not like anyone on PC will get around to using them...

These facts alone point to this game being released (way) too early, but they're broken on nearly every level. And this is the longest I've ever played an AC game. 20 hours and counting. Some of the side missions are about on par with main quests! It's psycho how they shoehorn these kindergarten-tier design decisions into a game that's actually pretty good. Unity is the most well-rounded of any Ubisoft game in a while.

Corpekata

Banned
What kind of home/town/etc building is the game this time? Anything as big as the homestead like in AC3? More personal like the ship from Black Flag?

There's a central cafe you can renovate and several small ones that are less important. They all give a bunch of missions which can increase your money earned per hour.

But given the gear focus of the game it's mostly Arno himself that gets most of the attention, and so the base stuff is lesser than other games.

PS4? Supposedly it's the Companion App that does this. Play with your network cable unplugged, see if it helps.

PC. That companion app is complete shit. I tend to alt-tab a lot to mess around on the internet while playing, so I don't want to disable my internet. I wonder if putting uplay in offline mode will have the same effect.

nikos

So I'm on Sequence 10 and really enjoying the game so far. I don't think it deserves nearly the amount of backlash it's getting. Some dropped frames and very minor glitches, which I have experienced only once or twice (glitches), haven't had an impact on my enjoyment of the game at all. It looks great, the crowd density is ridiculous, and the setting is immersive.

The only thing I don't like about the game is when I spend ~30 minutes on a mission, fail towards the end, and have to start all over again. It would be nice to have more frequent save points.

Just curious, does anybody know how much time is left in the story if I've just made it to Sequence 10?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I'm on Sequence 10 and really enjoying the game so far. I don't think it deserves nearly the amount of backlash it's getting. Some dropped frames and very minor glitches, which I have experienced only once or twice (glitches), haven't had an impact on my enjoyment of the game at all. It looks great, the crowd density is ridiculous, and the setting is immersive.

The only thing I don't like about the game is when I spend ~30 minutes on a mission, fail towards the end, and have to start all over again. It would be nice to have more frequent save points.

Just curious, does anybody know how much time is left in the story if I've just made it to Sequence 10?

There are 12 sequences.

NastyBook

Okay, this game is making my PS4's fan kick into overdrive. This is the first game to do this. I'm gonna dust this thing tonight, but that's still scary. Also, why is it that my friend can connect through Play Together, but I can't? Shit's ridiculous.

Recorded my first two glitches today, and the third one has me listed as a Legend, even though I'm still a lowly apprentice. This game needs to get better before Tuesday, lest it pays for GTAV. I don't need this shit.

Okay, this game is making my PS4's fan kick into overdrive. This is the first game to do this. I'm gonna dust this thing tonight, but that's still scary.

My PS4 stays pretty much dead silent, but weirdly enough the fans kick into high gear the moment I open the menu. Any time I'm in the Database, for example, the fans just blaze away, but running through a crowd of a thousand dudes in Paris it's quiet as a mouse.

SZips

This game is starting to grow on me, even with the undeniable amount of jank/glitches/bugs going on. I still don't believe that the increased number of NPC's on screen do anything positive for the gameplay and certainly not for the framerate. However, if they can iron out some of these issues, it really has the potential to be one of the better Assassin's Creed games out there.

NastyBook

My PS4 stays pretty much dead silent, but weirdly enough the fans kick into high gear the moment I open the menu. Any time I'm in the Database, for example, the fans just blaze away, but running through a crowd of a thousand dudes in Paris it's quiet as a mouse.
Yeah, it did this when I was using Uplay. That's what really put me off.

And now I just tried to download the Chemical Revolution DLC, and SURPRISE, my fucking code doesn't work. This was a sealed copy of the game I just picked up today. What in the fuck?

*goes back to Destiny*

Can anyone successfully navigate through open windows in buildings? Everytime I try to leap from a building I just end of jumping around the window frame itself. It's so obnoxious, especially during chase/follow sequences.

ZeroX03

Banned
Finished the story. It was pretty good overall, really liked the characters.
(Ending spoilers)
They're totally making a Napoleon sequel, aren't they? His campaign in Egypt would totally fit with the precursor shit.

I have no idea what that last scene where they come back to uncover the sage's remains means. Except that we know Arno and Bonaparte work together.

Napoleon was the best character in the game, so I hope so. He's surprisingly good looking in this title, hopefully because he's the next lead. Fuck French Ezio.
Can anyone successfully navigate through open windows in buildings? Everytime I try to leap from a building I just end of jumping around the window frame itself. It's so obnoxious, especially during chase/follow sequences.

L2 to enter windows, apparently the game prompts you but I never saw it. Strange choice of button too.

It's kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes you'll just glide straight through like a perfect action movie scene, other it'll take like thirty seconds to fidget your way in. The game pops up a tooltip saying 'Press L2 to enter open windows', but that only seems to work if you're already hanging right on the window frame. If you get onto a balcony railing you can usually hold R2 and Circle to get in without too much trouble, but if you aren't lined up well you just have to hope for the best.

It's kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes you'll just glide straight through like a perfect action movie scene, other it'll take like thirty seconds to fidget your way in. The game pops up a tooltip saying 'Press L2 to enter open windows', but that only seems to work if you're already hanging right on the window frame. If you get onto a balcony railing you can usually hold R2 and Circle to get in without too much trouble, but if you aren't lined up well you just have to hope for the best.

L2 to enter windows, apparently the game prompts you but I never saw it. Strange choice of button too.

Wow I never saw the L2 prompt and it's not like I can go into options and see a controller layout because that would make too much sense.

Sizzle55

Same here, not a sound during gameplay, but when it's paused it sounds like it's about to take flight! Strange!
Love the game though, glitches are a pain and combat seems a bit off. For me though it ticks the biggest box for an open world game, I lose time just wandering about without touching a mission and I think the game world looks and feels awesome. I loved Black Flag so much and I think this continues the series nicely. Just hope it gets all the rubbish tidied up and I really feel for the people who are getting the experience ruined for them.

Ursiform

Banned
Wow I never saw the L2 prompt and it's not like I can go into options and see a controller layout because that would make too much sense.

It doesn't help much. Also, climbing trees is a dickpain now. You can't just stand still and press A (cross) to shimmy up anymore, that's the cover button now (which almost never works the way you expect but whatever). You have to be in high profile, tilt the left stick towards the branch you want up and hit A (cross). Pray that the game registers a tap or hold it and risk parkouring right out of the tree.

I do like the "free run down" though.

Does anyone know how to consistently do a jump climb? I've gotten to where I just hammer A (cross) until he does it.

Apparently 7 cores are devoted to keeping track of all the currencies.

Dominator

Just finished Sequence 6 and I'm really loving this. My second favorite after AC2 for sure. I haven't hit any bugs aside from some clipping and since the last update it seems like my framerate has been much better, don't know if the update actually fixed some of that though.

Great game.

cackhyena

Just had some of the most fun with a friend in co-op yet this gen. This game isn't without numerous faults, but I'm still really digging it. Much more than I thought I would.

Dahbomb

The Tournament Co-op mission is so fucking. 3 times it bugged out when you were supposed to talk to the Speaker. Then at the end the target markers very commonly disappear from.the map.

Also I keep getting notification that Francais has been updated in the Database. I get it everytime I boot up the game.

I am beginning to think the game had no actual Q&A.

WE are the Q&A for the game...

Also GAF Club is full apparently, we need to make a secondary GAF clan or something.

Top Bottom