• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

you should try PCars. They've fixed a lot of the weird issues with the Rift. Tracking is smoother now and more precise.
Just tried again... it hasn't improved. If anything it was even harder to get it to hit 75 than the last time. There is more latency than all the others and the shadows still don't work.

No tutorial, just a little trial-and-error.

Here's what I did:

- set to extended, then paused the service from the OR utility;
- set DK2 as primary desktop
- launched the game (to use the menus I simply take out the lenses and use the rift as a small screen, set every option, start the race, and then put the lenses back in).

Now I'm trying to get it back to work xD

Try this:

Set the game not to use video card accelerated menus. Start the game without the rift as the primary. *Change* the rift to the primary display. Use all the menus on your normal monitor and enjoy the game itself launching on the DK2.

Zeth

I'm in heaven. Rift support is awesome.

My only issue, is we really need access to at least the car setup options. For now I've reduced my FFB settings in options as individual fine-tuning is impossible. But there's no simple way to change tyres which is the biggest problem. It would also be nice if we had even crude access to on-screen UI to make Career play possible.

It must be a combination of the Rift and the new graphics, but holy shit it looks so good now. Makes me forget how depressed I've been for not having access to PCars, lol. Driving even the Nord mod at sunset is eye-popping. The shadows on the road and in the car; the interior detail; just wow!

Try this:

Set the game not to use video card accelerated menus. Start the game without the rift as the primary. *Change* the rift to the primary display. Use all the menus on your normal monitor and enjoy the game itself launching on the DK2.
I set FULLSCREEN=0 in the launcher.ini and now it always shows on my monitor while the sim launches on the headset. Having it windowed and slightly lower res than my monitor allows me to see the EXE of the sim on the taskbar, so I can close it by right clicking (as I can't see the pause menu to find the exit button).

Holy shit! DK2 support is off the charts with the actual racing, menus ... not so much.

I can't believe how good it looks. The bad part is the horizon line which you have to watch for racing is the 'worst' part. But man, I had my Vornado fan blowing and drove an open car ... so cool. I actually slowed down and then stopped and slowly watched the pavement ... it's surreal that all this detail was in these games but you really didn't "get it" like you can with the Rift. It's not a "moving picture" anymore, it has depth, you can look out and down and actually see the wheel turning and the stuff in between.

I can't believe we're still in a very early beta form of the DK2, when this is fully operational and we have CV1 ... minds will be blown.

I didn't get much time with it but it did take some working. I used most of the tips on the reddit threads regarding the Launcher.ini, and such. Had to completely reinstall the firmware/drivers for my Fanatec GT2 (that took me longer to get working than the Rift!).

Seriously, this and ED are two of THE showcases for Rift. It sucks nobody around me is really into games or VR ... While I can show it off to people they always say "WOW HOLY SHIT! Alright, that was cool, let's go" when I just want to spend hours messing around and seeing what is possible.

Ah well, more time for me!

Soi-Fong

With the advent of AC's implementation of Rift support, I'd put Rift integration for racers at:

LFS > AC > PCars

Only reason LFS is still top for me is because of the menus.

As for overall Rift games, Elite > All.

I really wish that AC included something like a mirroring option on another monitor like what Elite included as a debug feature.

In the meetups I've been in, mirroring option allows a crowd to be drawn in, but also participating in what's going on in the game.

Seanspeed

Banned
The bad part is the horizon line which you have to watch for racing is the 'worst' part.
What do you mean, specifically?

Anyways, Lotus 2-Eleven GT4 is one of my new favourite cars. I already loved the normal 2-Eleven, but it was always a bit loose, which could be fun, but wasn't the best for attacking your lap times. The GT4 tightens up the handling quite a bit and turns it into a much more stable and neutral car, with a lot of grip. Just an amazing track weapon.

Conversely, the new Exige V6 Cup is not a stable car at all, surprisingly. It is extremely prone to swapping ends during turn-in. Trail braking is all but impossible. I find it extremely difficult to have any confidence to push and end up driving extremely cautiously into the corner. Tried messing with the setup but nothing was helping.

Zeth

Anyways, Lotus 2-Eleven GT4 is one of my new favourite cars. I already loved the normal 2-Eleven, but it was always a bit loose, which could be fun, but wasn't the best for attacking your lap times. The GT4 tightens up the handling quite a bit and turns it into a much more stable and neutral car, with a lot of grip. Just an amazing track weapon.

Conversely, the new Exige V6 Cup is not a stable car at all, surprisingly. It is extremely prone to swapping ends during turn-in. Trail braking is all but impossible. I find it extremely difficult to have any confidence to push and end up driving extremely cautiously into the corner. Tried messing with the setup but nothing was helping.

I didn't even realize the new 2-Eleven was there until I booted it up last night - that was a pleasant surprise. Agree with you about the car, I really enjoy it. And the open-top cars are really great for the Rift.
It's very light but deliberate. I was nailing some tight Magione corners after only a few laps. "Street" version is much clunkier in terms of balance and the rear end tends to carry too much momentum at speed.

Power profile is probably great for online competition too; though I've yet to really get into that myself. I still have too much fun alone on an empty track - which I think is a testament to the quality of the core simulation.

When I race I'm looking pretty much at the halfway point from top to bottom(for most tracks, lots of incline/decline are obviously different) and you lead your turns with a look. This is the part in the Rift that kind of loses focus for me, not bad, but it's not as detailed as, say, the cars themselves.

It's just the resolution of the Rift because 'further away things' are a bit harder to focus on because of the smaller pixel count, or larger pixel appearance, not sure of the technical term ... and that's where my driving focus usually is.

The 3D separation on the horizon is too much and feels uncomfortable on your eyes. It's like you have to cross your eyes too much to see it clearly. It's just odd and out of place when everything else looks so solid.

You shouldn't see "separation". There's something wrong.

The image on the horizon is quite muddy, but that's because there's lack of detail (less pixels).

wickfut

Banned
You shouldn't see "separation". There's something wrong.

The image on the horizon is quite muddy, but that's because there's lack of detail (less pixels).

I don't "see" separation.

In real life the further something is from you the more parallel and relaxed your eyes become. In AC, the horizon, although is distant, makes your eyes focus on an unnatural point making it uncomfortable.

The easiest way to describe it is to imagine viewing a stereoscopic game on a 3DTV and adjusting the 3D amount to a point which is slightly too much so it feels uncomfortable.

SparkTR

Just tried the new build and I'm loving the changes. Seems like this where I'll be the rest of the year now that everything else is delayed.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't "see" separation.

In real life the further something is from you the more parallel and relaxed your eyes become. In AC, the horizon, although is distant, makes your eyes focus on an unnatural point making it uncomfortable.

The easiest way to describe it is to imagine viewing a stereoscopic game on a 3DTV and adjusting the 3D amount to a point which is slightly too much so it feels uncomfortable.

That was one of the reasons I loathed 3D movies; When mountains in the distance felt like they were right in front of you, to my brain that doesn't make any sense. But I don't notice anything like that in AC, strange.

Anyway, anyone, how the hell do I turn down the rumble "clank-clank-clank!!!!" effect on my G27 wheel, when I have it mounted on my desk and I hit an elevation in the road it's like someone is hitting the desk with a sledgehammer, even my wife two floors down can easily notice. I've tried to turn the road and kerb effects to 0, but it doesn't help. And when I turn the gain down, the wheel feels very loose :( Some of the other setting, or am I screwed?

I'm not seeing it either, are you saying AC is the only DK2 program that does this wickfut?

Adding some filter and damping (the two sliders below Gain) should help bj00rn_. You may have to add damper in the driver too, not sure.

Seanspeed

Banned
Anyway, anyone, how the hell do I turn down the rumble "clank-clank-clank!!!!" effect on my G27 wheel, when I have it mounted on my desk and I hit an elevation in the road it's like someone is hitting the desk with a sledgehammer, even my wife two floors down can easily notice. I've tried to turn the road and kerb effects to 0, but it doesn't help. And when I turn the gain down, the wheel feels very loose :( Some of the other setting, or am I screwed?
Pretty sure its just a noisy wheel in general. Mine isn't that bad, but its noisy enough that I don't drive at night.

LilJoka

That was one of the reasons I loathed 3D movies; When mountains in the distance felt like they were right in front of you, to my brain that doesn't make any sense. But I don't notice anything like that in AC, strange.

Whats the gain you have and what have you set the logitech profile too?

Any way of getting rid of the rear mirror overlay when using the Rift?

It's fucking stupid. Why would I need it if I can look in the real mirrors?

I can't for the life of me find the option to turn that shit off.

sounds like a bug. That should remove the rumble. That setting removes rumble in LFS.

bj00rn_

Banned
Adding some filter and damping (the two sliders below Gain) should help bj00rn_. You may have to add damper in the driver too, not sure.

Thanks! It's much better now.

My god, I spent a total of four hours in AC with a DK2 yesterday, and I had the day off today, so I did an hour more this morning.. And have just done two more.. I definitely got stuck in the infamous "just one more time"-loop.

I've played AC for a little while now, but I've always felt something a little bit off.. Like I wasn't able to do drive how I tried. But for some reason I never bothered to check the assist. But then luckily I started to think about it today, so I went into the settings and turned off ALL assists (pro). And interestingly enough I instantly shaved off 2.5 seconds on my first lap..And now the cars, of course, feel like how cars should behave.. lol

Soi-Fong

Played PCars on a monitor on the Ring and I'm doing fucking horrible. Damn, the Rift has spoiled me..

FOV is soo goddamn small...

Zeth

I'm surprised how good my driving is after a day with AC on the Rift. I did a monitor session today and some of my Rift times were pretty competitive. Didn't manage to best my LaFerrari @ Spa time actually.

bee

so a reinstall fixed my performance issues and its back to 100+ fps maxed , can't get it to work at all on the rift though, tried starting non accelerated launcher in window mode, then switch rift to primary then it starts on the rift but its like the images aren't aligned

wish it was as easy as lfs, all i have to do on that is double click the short cut, don't even have to set rift as primary

Zeth

so a reinstall fixed my performance issues and its back to 100+ fps maxed , can't get it to work at all on the rift though, tried starting non accelerated launcher in window mode, then switch rift to primary then it starts on the rift but its like the images aren't aligned

wish it was as easy as lfs, all i have to do on that is double click the short cut, don't even have to set rift as primary

I didn't touch the gpu-accelerated launcher option, but I think mine is on. Try making Rift primary (in extended mode) and starting the launcher that way. Then use win+shift+arrow to move to other monitor to navigate menus - starting a race should launch in Rift though. This is the best way for me personally - if I don't start the launcher on the Rift primary, I can't select the 1080P/74hz resolution option. But I haven't had to switch primary displays, I just leave it set to the DK2 when I plug it in.

Sorry in advance if you've tried this. edit: the window moving shortcut might not work in Windows 8? I'm not sure, but that might be an issue.

So jealous of people who are playing it with the Rift, even though I got a DK2 myself, this Extended Mode thing just won't work. =(

But on the plus side, I'm enjoying the game in 2D as well!

Pakoe

Wow, i've been playing the game for 3 hours straight now with the rift. Holy shit, what a sick experience...

can someone explain to me to me why control keeps getting taken away from me when doing the career mode? I can't get past the first novice event. It's a time trail and it seems like the game is expecting me to do a perfect run. I hope I'm just missing something here and perfection isn't actually the expectation

bj00rn_

Banned
can someone explain to me to me why control keeps getting taken away from me when doing the career mode? I can't get past the first novice event. It's a time trail and it seems like the game is expecting me to do a perfect run. I hope I'm just missing something here and perfection isn't actually the expectation

It does the same with me.. I was adjusting my rift and the game just ended the session while I stood still on the tarmac, I was like wtf, tried a few times. I suspect it's a glitch they have to fix in an update.

Zeth

None of the UI works, so I think you're just running out of time while adjusting your Rift. Or it's broken in some other way.

Using the Rift pretty much limits you to Hotlap/Practice, and even those are incredibly restricted since you have no access to setups, tires, fuel, FFB etc. Haven't tried Quick Race. Still, the quality of the core experience is so good, that I'm more than happy with its current implementation. Not sure what their immediate goals are with the Rift, but I kinda doubt it's at the top of their list. Can only hope for other improvements.

Seanspeed

Banned
None of the UI works, so I think you're just running out of time while adjusting your Rift. Or it's broken in some other way.

Using the Rift pretty much limits you to Hotlap/Practice, and even those are incredibly restricted since you have no access to setups, tires, fuel, FFB etc. Haven't tried Quick Race. Still, the quality of the core experience is so good, that I'm more than happy with its current implementation. Not sure what their immediate goals are with the Rift, but I kinda doubt it's at the top of their list, but we can hope.
As fun as it may be just driving by yourself, I don't think its potential is being realized if its impractical to use for actual racing.

Skyzard

Banned
Sweetfx helps to get a sharpness boost.
what i downloaded
My settings for sharpen in the SweetFX_settings file:
/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
/ LumaSharpen settings /
'-----------------------------------------------------------*/
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength 2.25 // [0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp 0.04 // [0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern 2 // [1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
#define offset_bias 1.0 // [0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
//I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
#define show_sharpen 0 // [0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

Can just copy and paste, replacing the same section. Scroll Lock to turn on and off.

my full settings for it:
http://pastebin.com/DPJKCLCg

On
i8MRM1kqyEjeR.png

Off
iUZdrf9lUdxZY.png

Also managed to get 60fps locked at 2560x1440 with 24 AI opponents. Had to set reflection quality to low and update rate to medium, also smoke on low and world detail to high or medium. (780ti 4770k 4.4)

Soi-Fong

what i downloaded

Can just copy and paste. Scroll Lock to turn on and off.

my full settings for it:

On
i8MRM1kqyEjeR.png

Off
iUZdrf9lUdxZY.png

Also managed to get 60fps locked at 2560x1440 with 24 AI opponents. Had to set reflection quality to low and update rate to medium. (780ti 4770k 4.4)

Will this work with the Rift? At least sweetfx. Going beyond 1080 gives a black screen in the Rift.

Arucardo

what i downloaded

Can just copy and paste, replacing the same section. Scroll Lock to turn on and off.

my full settings for it:

Also managed to get 60fps locked at 2560x1440 with 24 AI opponents. Had to set reflection quality to low and update rate to medium, also smoke on low and world detail to high or medium. (780ti 4770k 4.4)

That actually looks really good, need to try this the next time I fire up AC. Thanks man.

I've never bothered with tweaking sweetfx myself and usually when I've tried others configs they've way overdone most things, especially sharpening but this looks alright.

bee

I didn't touch the gpu-accelerated launcher option, but I think mine is on. Try making Rift primary (in extended mode) and starting the launcher that way. Then use win+shift+arrow to move to other monitor to navigate menus - starting a race should launch in Rift though. This is the best way for me personally - if I don't start the launcher on the Rift primary, I can't select the 1080P/74hz resolution option. But I haven't had to switch primary displays, I just leave it set to the DK2 when I plug it in.

Sorry in advance if you've tried this. edit: the window moving shortcut might not work in Windows 8? I'm not sure, but that might be an issue.

that got me the closest to it working so thanks, all starts fine in 74hz and the camera starts to pan around the car but I cant see the red controls at the left to start to race and the images are still completely off, definitely not 3D, I've given up now tbh when they sort it so it's as easy as lfs i'll give it another shot

Seanspeed

Banned
Probably about 2/5th's through learning Trento Bondone, up to the 2nd town. I'm basically just setting an end point to what I want to learn, get to it, then restart. Rinse and repeat til I'm comfortable with the layout and being able to push a moderate degree. Then I move onto the next section and do the same thing. Takes longer and longer to learn new sections as I go on, having to restart from the beginning every time, but man, its a ton of fun, and extremely rewarding once you're getting going. I'll hopefully finish learning the layout this coming week and can start doing complete runs for times and learning it with different cars. Currently just using the Group A E30 M3.

that got me the closest to it working so thanks, all starts fine in 74hz and the camera starts to pan around the car but I cant see the red controls at the left to start to race and the images are still completely off, definitely not 3D, I've given up now tbh when they sort it so it's as easy as lfs i'll give it another shot
If the camera pans around the car it's not detecting the DK2 properly. The current implementation puts you straight into the car - you don't get to see that setup screen. My guess is you haven't updated to 0.4.2?

bj00rn_

Banned
Will this work with the Rift? At least sweetfx. Going beyond 1080 gives a black screen in the Rift.

I tried and definitely noticed a difference. But for me it came with a cost, the image was sharper, but caused darked slightly cartoony outlines and other oversharpen symptoms like a somewhat bleached look at places, and also for some strange reason made the pentile pixels in the OLED even more visible.. Maybe there's a sweet spot that can bet tweaked in the settings, but I'll let somebody else do that. So I uninstalled it for now.

bee

If the camera pans around the car it's not detecting the DK2 properly. The current implementation puts you straight into the car - you don't get to see that setup screen. My guess is you haven't updated to 0.4.2?

nah, i'm on 0.4.2 and firmware 2.12, tried almost all options to get it to work, if iracing wasn't updating to dk2 support tomorrow i'd put more effort into getting it to work

I've done this, my image is warped/only see part of it with each eye and there's no head tracking.

Skyzard

Banned
I tried and definitely noticed a difference. But for me it came with a cost, the image was sharper, but caused darked slightly cartoony outlines and other oversharpen symptoms like a somewhat bleached look at places, and also for some strange reason made the pentile pixels in the OLED even more visible.. Maybe there's a sweet spot that can bet tweaked in the settings, but I'll let somebody else do that. So I uninstalled it for now.

It's nice and easy to tweak and you can see the results straight away without closing down the game, just have the sweetfx settings file loaded up, make a change, save, scroll lock on then off to refresh the settings in-game.

I think it was a tad strong still, perhaps this will be a nicer balance:

put the files in the ac folder:
\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa

http://a.pomf.se/xwnpui.zip

Going to leave it there for myself, it's a lot more subtle than before (perhaps too subtle, you can always turn #define sharp_strength up a bit to like 1.1 if it's too little) and should mostly get rid of that cartoon strong outline effect you mentioned. It is just a bit too blurry by default imo.

Zeth

I've done this, my image is warped/only see part of it with each eye and there's no head tracking.

Turn off motion blur? Enable PP but turn down effects as needed. Do you have the latest firmware? Weird.

Make sure you have the rendering mode set to Oculus? I don't think you should ever get an external view on race start.

The only thing I can think is that the Oculus isn't functioning properly, does the demo scene in the cfg utility work?

You won't see the usual UI in vr mode, just some split times hovering above your FoV after a lap is completed, and some race ending messages. No access to the app/widget bar. The only thing I can think of is maybe you're trying this in a career event that's causing issues. I use Challenge > Hotlap exclusively. Though I have completed some career races without issue. Time attacks aren't possible.

NoPiece

I really recommend these brief instructions to get the rift working. The goal is to get the menu screens opening on you monitor, and the game opening on your rift. I'm not that into tweaking games to get extended mode working, but this was easy, and works consistently after you set it up. They are from Xela79 on reddit.

these are the instructions I used to get the game going from the get go in the DK2... and since the menu stays on the main monitor you can change gfx and control settings easily
Have Rift in extended mode.
Launch AC:
Turn off GPU accelerated launcher in general options.
Quit AC and then open your My Documents folder > Assetto Corsa > CFG and edit the Launcher.ini file Change Fullscreen to 0.
Now set your rift as the primary display and put the steam client on your flatscreen monitor and launch assetto corsa. The menus will now sit on your monitor all of the time. Go into graphics settings and set the resolution to 1920x1080 74Hz and set the mode to Oculus.
When you start a game now it will auto start on the rift. To re-center press** CTRL+Space. To exit the session use **Alt+F4, this will return you back to the menus on your normal monitor.

Top Bottom