• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

AC has IMO the best sensation of lift off oversteer in sims. It happens when you expect and you have to respect it. Braking is a little strange as I sometimes can't tell if I am over or underbraking, but this may be more sound effects than physics. Race cars still feel a little to grippy up to the limit and then a little too punishing over the limit.

Finally, the Alfa Romeo hatch is awesome! It reminds me off when I drove the Focus ST IRL. Lift off, turn in, back comes around and feed power. Car feels really good. Great car for Laguna Seca.
Braking feels very different with a wheel. Less defined. Understeering also feels different. Steering too much results in a sudden loss of force while in 22 the ff effect remained the same.

Skyzard

Banned
Spent ages reshuffling the desk so I can squeeze my wheel in, so damn fun (not the reorganizing). Worth it, but I may just leave it under the desk now for easy access.

The f40 is so fun to drive (with a wheel)!

Can finally understand what I was doing wrong...think it was a combination of what others mentioned, the steering and the boost. Needs finer control.

Yay! all set up

Dave_6

Wait, what?? Where did you hear that?

I have a GTX 970 and I'm running at 140-150 frames per second in 1080p at almost everything maxed (4xAA, max world detail etc) (only reflection I have at medium)! Solid 63-80 fps in 4K without cockpit, 55-75 with cockpit an 2xAA (still 4K) (Did a little testing at Vallelunga). So what am I "doing wrong" to get these relatively high framerates if a GTX 980 is "struggling"..?

Shitty imgur incoming, don't look at the IQ..

I was lying, it's only ~120fps in cockpit.. I was playing with a bumper cam when I got 140-150fps

(Disclaimer: My testing is far from scientific..)

Just to reaffirm, my 3570K@4.4/stock G1 970 setup runs it pretty much the same. I ran the game at the same settings as you listed and got the same results. Looks quite a bit better running DSR 4K as well.

Man, can the La Ferrari cover some ground or what? You are absolutely hauling biscuits by the time you get to Blanchimont. I don't think I've ever had to brake so hard for it.

http://a.pomf.se/urrgso.webm

At Spa at least, I'm actually pretty surprised with how much I've enjoyed the car. It's not nearly as silly as these hypercars tend to get in racing games. Looks great, sounds great, that's for sure.

Seanspeed

Banned
Update just now that fixes IPD config for DK2 support. Give it a go guys!

Man, can the La Ferrari cover some ground or what? You are absolutely hauling biscuits by the time you get to Blanchimont. I don't think I've ever had to brake so hard for it.

http://a.pomf.se/urrgso.webm

At Spa at least, I'm actually pretty surprised with how much I've enjoyed the car. It's not nearly as silly as these hypercars tend to get in racing games. Looks great, sounds great, that's for sure.
Its almost too fast for me. At Spa, it can at least stretch its legs at points, but at other tracks, my foot is down for a few seconds and then I'm having to brake again! Its so fast its like all tracks need to scale 1.5x the size to accommodate it properly.

Ravenn17

Yes. Really well actually. If you have played GT6 it is a lot like the Toyota TS03. 2, 3, 4th gear acceleration and throttle response is brutal. You can actually see the KERS energy on the dash as you use it under acceleration and regenerate it under braking. Really cool feature.

Is it the bar above the speedometer? I mapped KERS to X on my controller. You hold it down just like in F1 games right?

Business

It just updated and is now in glorious stereoscopic 3D in the DK2! Scale also fixed! I can make proper turns again :D

image.php

Can't wait to try it out this weekend. And realize I need to upgrade my PC too...

Update just now that fixes IPD config for DK2 support. Give it a go guys!

Its almost too fast for me. At Spa, it can at least stretch its legs at points, but at other tracks, my foot is down for a few seconds and then I'm having to brake again! Its so fast its like all tracks need to scale 1.5x the size to accommodate it properly.

That's great they've jumped straight back into it to fix OR. They are good like that, I have to admit.

:D It's so true. Magione, no way José.

bj00rn_

Banned
Man, I just did "Joux Plane" with a Shelby Cobra, a G27 wheel and my DK2.. It's a little embarrassing to be this "dramatic", but; I experienced true presence for the first time in my DK2, and I almost felt a tear pushing its way out at the side of my eye (you know, always dreamt about this day from when I was a kid..). I was actually driving an awesome track in the morning in an awesome car kind of feeling like driving with the wind in my hair, it basically felt real. I'm amazed..

It just updated and is now in glorious stereoscopic 3D in the DK2! Scale also fixed! I can make proper turns again :D

Oh man, can't wait to try it when I get home. Supposedly a file was left out and the patch just added it back in, probably why their were so many people wondering how they could let this implementation in and not wait.

Great to hear! Can't wait!

Man, I just did "Jeux Plane" with a Shelby Cobra, a G27 wheel and my DK2.. I kid you not; I experienced true presence for the first time in my DK2, and I almost felt a tear pushing its way out at the side of my eye. I was actually driving an awesome track in the morning in an awesome car basically feeling like driving with the wind in my hair, it basically felt real. I'm amazed..

Fantastic. I had the "presence" feel for the first time in Ocean Rift, then massively in Elite Dangerous. Can't wait to get home, you're not helping! (more impressions please)

Oh man this game is taunting me so bad. It's installed on my machine but I haven't even played it yet. I bought it during the Steam sale but haven't played it since I don't have a wheel yet. Ugghh. Waiting for the T300RS to release...

Zeth

Oh man, so the Rift experience is improved with this update? I was getting by fine this morning and having an awesome time. This weekend is going to be glorious.

I was driving the Zonda on Snoopy's Nordschleife and it was wild. Besides some small issues with head position and tracking wonkiness. The Rift really makes clear the incredible interior detail.

Man, I just did "Joux Plane" with a Shelby Cobra, a G27 wheel and my DK2.. It's a little embarrassing to be this "dramatic", but; I experienced true presence for the first time in my DK2, and I almost felt a tear pushing its way out at the side of my eye (you know, always dreamt about this day from when I was a kid..). I was actually driving an awesome track in the morning in an awesome car kind of feeling like driving with the wind in my hair, it basically felt real. I'm amazed..

Hell yes. I love JP. The X-bow is a blast there as well. Also not sure if it was just a tiny tweak or the new engine, but the X-bow sounds different (better) to my ears.

bj00rn_

Banned
Oh man, so the Rift experience is improved with this update? I was getting by fine this morning and having an awesome time. This weekend is going to be glorious.

If you played a few hours ago I guess you played it without stereoscopic 3D, and the scale was off (cockpits felt HUGE..). I didn't notice directly at first.., but had this strange feeling that something was off, lol.

bj00rn_

Banned
Fantastic. I had the "presence" feel for the first time in Ocean Rift, then massively in Elite Dangerous. Can't wait to get home, you're not helping! (more impressions please)

Yes, I felt some of it in Elite too, but for some reason, when I did the Joux Plane run it felt even stronger than that. Maybe it just was my time today. It'll be interesting to hear other people's impressions.

Damn don't make pull out my Fanatec guys xD

I'm going to try this with a controller, fuck it.

EDIT: what setting do I need? Extended mode? anything else?

paskowitz

Is it the bar above the speedometer? I mapped KERS to X on my controller. You hold it down just like in F1 games right?

The KERS system in the LaFerrari is automatically distributed into the drivetrain, not distributed with a button. Think 2014 F1 cars vs 2013.

HOLY SHIT I made it work.

Unbelievable. The interiors in the DK2 are so real you just stare at everything like you're a five years old kid at Christmas or something.

Everything feels so REAL. Definitely the best Rift moment ever for me. And I've tried tons of things, even on DK1.

Kudos to Kunos. Simply amazing.

I CANNOT ever get Extended mode to work =(

Is there a way to force directrift mode?

HOLY SHIT I made it work.

Unbelievable. The interiors in the DK2 are so real you just stare at everything like you're a five years old kid at Christmas or something.

Everything feels so REAL. Definitely the best Rift moment ever for me. And I've tried tons of things, even on DK1.

Kudos to Kunos. Simply amazing.

Do you have a tutorial? I made such a mess out of it with Win+P

Do you have a tutorial? I made such a mess out of it with Win+P

No tutorial, just a little trial-and-error.

Here's what I did:

- set to extended, then paused the service from the OR utility;
- set DK2 as primary desktop
- launched the game (to use the menus I simply take out the lenses and use the rift as a small screen, set every option, start the race, and then put the lenses back in).

Now I'm trying to get it back to work xD

Boy oh boy the F40 is brutal with the DK2, so fun.

The game randomly looses the controls, though. I'm racing and then my view changes to outside of the car and the wheel doesn't work anymore.

I'm using an old ass Logitech Drive Force from the ps2 era, I can't be bothered with putting my Fanatec together right now (tomorrow though...).

trillbo

I seriously can't get over how good it looks in DK2 now. That fucking lighting.

Go to Imola and set the time to the latest, and check out your shadow on the way down the hill. It stopped me in my tracks in the 98T, and made me reverse up the hill and back down again to see the perfect long shadow flowing over me.

I seriously can't get over how good it looks in DK2 now. That fucking lighting.

Really, it's just that good.

It only looses a bit of detail in the distance, otherwise it's perfect. Crystal clear despite the low resolution.

Oh, and the positional tracking works as a charm: leaning over things and watching them from different angles it's almost as fun as driving.

The artists' work really shines this way: materials are incredibly convincing.

Shaneus

I get judder in pCars but get none in AC. Also, I would have to say AC looks better than pCars with the new updates.
Wow. Because from what I could tell, pCARS was the benchmark for DK2, if not just for racing games. That Kunos (a tiny team compared to Slightly Mad, and undoubtedly with a much smaller budget) can smash it out of the park (admittedly, with less content) is an amazing fucking thing.

I'm so, so happy they're doing this well. IMO it will be the first true driving sim to make it big outside of the simracing community.

Wow. Because from what I could tell, pCARS was the benchmark for DK2, if not just for racing games.
PCARS has the worst DK2 implementation of all the racing games. Playable, performance is fine, but it feels slightly wrong all the time. It's just the prettiest. (That said, I've not tried it for a few builds, perhaps it has been fixed). LFS was the benchmark for sims in VR.

....it was... now I'm not so sure. :)

LilJoka

First car I tried was the Elise (the one from the first tech preview - seemed to be the default), and I'd swear it has new sound samples because it sounds totally different, much more raw and throaty. That said, I've not driven it for several builds so perhaps it got a sound update earlier.

Not sure if they were always there and I'm just listening harder for new things, but I keep hearing the paddle shift noise, and it happens on the animation (which is late) rather than on the shift, so there is a mixed up order of sound where the engine note has already changed and then you hear the paddle click.

Tried some tyre lock ups, they seem to work as you'd expect, plenty of vibration through the FFB if you lock the fronts, and seems to have a greater effect on the softer slicks. No visual flat spot though.

458 GT2 seems way too easy to drive with TC off. Has some nice additional squeaks in its sound package.

LaFerrari is wonderful, some very interesting-feeling assists, and a totally different animal with it all switched off. Doesn't feel as heavy as I expected though.

Not driven the Formula Abarth for ages - feels like some nice improvements there, but could have happened a while ago. Used to feel like the tyres were skipping about too much when putting the power down after a bump, that's mostly gone.

The 12C still doesn't downshift properly.

T500 d-pad still doesn't work.

That's about all I've tested so far... off to Spa I go!

On the 12C, i believe this is mimicking real life behavior rather than a debounce issue. The electronics wont let you switch gears that fast to protect the car.

On the 12C, i believe this is mimicking real life behavior rather than a debounce issue. The electronics wont let you switch gears that fast to protect the car.
I don't see how that can explain it I'm afraid. If anything, pulling down two gears quickly makes it shift faster. And you can blast all the way down to 1st going at 100mph and blow the engine instantly.

Watch any 12C video where you can see someone pull the downshift paddle and listen for how quickly it changes down. It's much slower in AC. It behaves like a single clutch paddle shift rather than a dual clutch. It should shift very similarly to a 458. Compare the downshifting of a 458 and a 12C in AC. The 458 downshifts as expected, the 12C is like I've got the only manual 12C in existence (which would be awesome).

LilJoka

I don't see how that can explain it I'm afraid. If anything, pulling down two gears quickly makes it shift faster. And you can blast all the way down to 1st going at 100mph and blow the engine instantly.

Watch any 12C video where you can see someone pull the downshift paddle and listen for how quickly it changes down. It's much slower in AC. It behaves like a single clutch paddle shift rather than a dual clutch. It should shift very similarly to a 458. Compare the downshifting of a 458 and a 12C in AC. The 458 downshifts as expected, the 12C is like I've got the only manual 12C in existence (which would be awesome).

Its just what i remember reading, but if you think its an issue then put a post on the AC forums and im sure the devs will chime in.

bj00rn_

Banned
Really, it's just that good.

It only looses a bit of detail in the distance, otherwise it's perfect. Crystal clear despite the low resolution.

Oh, and the positional tracking works as a charm: leaning over things and watching them from different angles it's almost as fun as driving.

The artists' work really shines this way: materials are incredibly convincing.

Yeah, it's clearer than LFS. I was very curious how that would turn out, I was fearing that a more detailed simulator could lead to a muddier picture, but it's clearly not. 1080p is still not enough in many ways, but AC is still so good.. And it doesn't do that micro-judder that LFS did (even with a fast PC).

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, it's clearer than LFS. I was very curious how that would turn out, I was fearing that a more detailed simulator could lead to a muddier picture, but it's clearly not. 1080p is still not enough in many ways, but AC is still so good.. And it doesn't do that micro-judder that LFS did (even with a fast PC).
Speaking of sharpness, have any of you guys messed with the post-processing effects or even SweetFX with DK2 support?

Using the sharpener effect with SweetFX makes a fairly dramatic difference in clarity under normal use and might help reduce the blur that comes with the resolution of the DK2.

No tutorial, just a little trial-and-error.

Here's what I did:

- set to extended, then paused the service from the OR utility;
- set DK2 as primary desktop
- launched the game (to use the menus I simply take out the lenses and use the rift as a small screen, set every option, start the race, and then put the lenses back in).

Now I'm trying to get it back to work xD

The thing is, when I set it to primary, all my desktop gets moved to the Oculus screen and I can't see anything from that as everything looks warped. Since nothing is on my monitor I can't start the game.

subwilde

Any solutions for AA yet with a DK2? Of course the ingame options lead to a black screen

My G27 is also sounding like its clipping on the rumble. Any ideas?

Soi-Fong

PCARS has the worst DK2 implementation of all the racing games. Playable, performance is fine, but it feels slightly wrong all the time. It's just the prettiest. (That said, I've not tried it for a few builds, perhaps it has been fixed). LFS was the benchmark for sims in VR.

....it was... now I'm not so sure. :)

Still have yet to try AC. Gonna try it in a little bit, but you should try PCars. They've fixed a lot of the weird issues with the Rift. Tracking is smoother now and more precise.

Edit: Sweet mother of everything in this whole goddamn world. The Rift implementation is impressive.

Edit 2: What do people have their settings at? I'm surprised I can keep up 75 fps so easily. I have everything on max. In Effects, I have everything turned down just one notch from max and everything is turned. And in reflections, everything is either normal or medium. I think I can afford to bump a few settings since in RTSS, my videocard is only being pushed 75%.

very good DK2 experience once you are racing. Nice job Kunos.

For you and everyone enjoying the game with the rift, what are you settings in game (i guess you all put oculus rift in the display mode option) , which fov ? 'Cause once in game my view is not good (too much left and in the helmet i think).

LeBoef

rc 1.0 thoughts:

- finally proper ffb
- didnt like ac before at all. now its very enjoyable
- dk2 implementation is amazing
- makes the wait for iracing a lot easier
- sounds and plenty other stuff is not top notch, but i can see a good times coming ahead for AC

Any solutions for AA yet with a DK2? Of course the ingame options lead to a black screen

My G27 is also sounding like its clipping on the rumble. Any ideas?
During a race turn on the pedal and wheel app(mouse to right side of the screen). The right (or left?) graph shows you when you're clipping. Reduce gain to reduce clipping. I have it set to 84 for my G25.

For you and everyone enjoying the game with the rift, what are you settings in game (i guess you all put oculus rift in the display mode option) , which fov ? 'Cause once in game my view is not good (too much left and in the helmet i think).
You don't set FOV in VR. If you've calibrated your IPD correctly the FOV will be correct. Sit in your driving position and hit spacebar+ctrl to centre your view.

Jilt

rc 1.0 thoughts:

- finally proper ffb
- didnt like ac before at all. now its very enjoyable
- dk2 implementation is amazing
- makes the wait for iracing a lot easier
- sounds and plenty other stuff is not top notch, but i can see a good times coming ahead for AC

I guess this depends on where you're coming from....
I am quite new to pc racing sims, coming from console racing (mostly the GT series).
I tried rfactor2, iracing, project cars and a bunch of other games like lfs, x something and offcourse assetto corsa.

For me assetto corsa is tha bomb! And it is not even finished yet!
Iracing was nice, but needs way too much attention and hours put in it, which is something i do not have the luxury of, nor the patience.

I guess, so many people, so many wishes.

Assetto Corsa is the game for me right now, will put a lot of time in it.

Top Bottom