• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

nowhat

Astro Bot game director interviewed in the Friends Per Second podcast (timestamped to the interview):

Edit: no major spoilers, it's more about the origins/inner workings of Team Asobi. Some stuff that has been in the trailers, and a few mentions of some of the cameos.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Astro Bot game director interviewed in the Friends Per Second podcast (timestamped to the interview):

-1529399741280.jpg

Alan Wake

I'm not seeing a single addition to the already limited moveset he had in the first game! This is why i think the game will disappoint. We'll be one shot punching and doing that little water hover attack to kill enemies throughout the game it seems....
He can fly, he can climb, he can box, he can swing, he can dive, he can spin through sand... I'd say the moveset is pretty darn diverse.

scydrex

Finally have my copy. Awesome game. This game is wonderful and pure joy. Just started the first level. Already loving it. This deserve the GOTY.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
This game has definitely elevated DualSense to be best controller ever for me, the little sounds, haptic nudges that you feel while interacting with smallest things in the game is pure magic and it adds so much to the game.

I can definitely say that Astrobot and Returnal experiences would feel different played by anything other than Dualsense!!

decisions

The usage of the controller here is truly amazing, truly new, and a testament to the power of the unification of hardware and software. I hope that developers don't stop innovating on input methods, it feels like that is something that is starting to die and yet it is one of the things that can provide truly fresh gaming experiences.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finished the first Galaxy. Some thoughts:

-It might not be the most mechanically deep platformer, but the controls are rock solid and the feel and momentum of jumping feel great. The powers you pickup along the way add nice variety.
-I was a little bummed out that the first special bots you encounter are The Hunter and MGS trio as those were my most wanted surprises At least I still have Ico, SOTC, and TLG to look forward to.
-I really want a new Ape Escape now.
-Just like Playroom, the Haptics are wonderful and I really wish we'd get a horror game that has as much effort and care put into this feature. Imagine the possiblities!
-And speaking of Playroom, I kind of thought the same thing then, but I do wonder where they go from here after leaning so heavily into Playstation's history.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Not a major dealbreaker but an odd choice for sure. It would be so much better if it just unlocked the level and let you continue with the one you were already on. Odd choice.
I think Super Mario World is the same also if I remember correctly. Been a few decades. It's strange, but kind of a throwback to platformers. But yeah, Kirby still does this on new games. In Mario World it makes sense since you're carving out new paths on the map. They're kind of going for that I guess.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Platinum!

TFSr0Bb.png

Left my favorite Level's easter egg for last.

Incredible game, would say literally perfect if they let us play as the special characters, and their abilities, outside of their Levels once the game is completed.

Finally beat splashing sprint after 50 deaths or so….shiiiiit
Brutal one that was. Yet knowing what lies ahead if you want to 100%..

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Three worlds in, this has been great so far. Very Mario, just pure fun. And so polished, like you'd expect a Nintendo platformer to be.

One thing that's been lacking is, as expected, the difficulty level. The game has been extremely easy so far, with a bit more challenge from the PS symbol levels. I hope there's some optional endgame stuff that's significantly harder, like Mario games usually have. We'll see.

All the PS references and cameos are a double-edged sword I think. On the one hand I love how it feels like a big celebration of everything PlayStation. The character-specific levels have been a lot of fun. On the other hand, I do feel like this game doesn't really have much of an identity of its own, like a Mario game would. It does, in a way, feel like an extended tech demo.

But as long as it's fun I guess that doesn't matter too much. And it is!

Not sure I'd say 10/10 right now, but at least 8/10, possibly a 9.

Camreezie

Even though I loved this game, isn't it a bit messed up that all these bonus levels are love letters to Playstation games with none of these franchise having games in development (that we know of)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This borrows so much from Mario that it even has a terrible water level 😂

skit_data

I just finished the main game + secret levels (I have 7 bots left to find in total, I think all of them are in the challenge levels).

The end was one hell of a climax and I can see the end boss being fun to replay
Am I the only one finding the whole "replacing arms and legs"-part a bit... macabre?

I guess Cerny said it the best
"Now this is a game!"

Last edited:

DryvBy

Playing this makes me with Nintendo would do a similar type of game. A tribute to their games, sort of like they did with Smash Bros using trophies and stickers. But a platformer or Zelda type game where each world is full of levels from different systems and has some replayability.

Astro is the best platformer since Mario Odyssey I haven't wanted to put down.

Delt31

I love this game so much I’m getting psvr to play the original which looks and sounds like this game….. not as good but you know what I mean!

It’s on sale Astro vr for 10 bucks and got the psvr for 75.

Ogbert

Gold Member
We need to discuss the fact that almost all of the themed levels are unironically far more enjoyable than the games they are paying tribute to.

Japanese developed games place far more emphasis on control, precision and the joy of moment to moment gameplay.

About 95% of games released today do not appear to think fun is an important element of gaming.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
We need to discuss the fact that almost all of the themed levels are unironically far more enjoyable than the games they are paying tribute to.

Nope, they’re cool homages but they’re my least favorite levels in the game

All the games they tribute are fun to play, so not sure what you’re on about

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Beat the Cameleon Boss and did all the stuff to reveal the last galaxy area. I've missed a bunch of bots and puzzle pieces along the way. I stopped doing the Face Button challenges for now. I'll give them a go last.
There is indeed a Camera Mode that gets unlocked if you get enough puzzle pieces. :p
At the rate I'm going all be playing this for the rest of the month trying to get everything.

skit_data

I finally managed to beat Splashing Sprint.

I don't like having to use that damn duck. The spray pattern is slightly too random and its causes you to turn slower which feels off. I strongly suspect it will get patched.

Edit: I realized you minimize the risk of leaving small pockets of lava/mud if you "wiggle" it a little bit as you run, made it a bit easier.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Beat the Cameleon Boss and did all the stuff to reveal the last galaxy area. I've missed a bunch of bots and puzzle pieces along the way. I stopped doing the Face Button challenges for now. I'll give them a go last.
There is indeed a Camera Mode that gets unlocked if you get enough puzzle pieces. :p
At the rate I'm going all be playing this for the rest of the month trying to get everything.
I’m playing this game like I play most platfomers, I will not move on to the next stage until I get EVERYTHING on current stage.

Top Bottom