• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

Only 13 pages for the GOTY

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity
GAF are too busy figuring out how much a PS5 Pro should cost judging from the first page of Gaming

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is one of those blatant games that when you’re playing it while you’re drinking, you’ll hit that point of pure perfect reflexes and nail everything in one or two tries.

But then you cross that drunk threshold and you go to complete shit.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Dafegamer

And with that I'm officially done with Astro Bot until we get some kind of DLC or something.

ZSZVThS.png

If you double jump and try to hover it will bounce away, you need to only jump once.
I know, but it's my fucking Platformer muscle memory 🤬, no idea why they did It like that
Edit:
Finally did it 😅, bloke got me sweating ngl

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I can’t finish cookie crumble 3. I can encircle the bells and make them fall but what then? What am I supposed to do here?

[Sigma]

I'm pretty much at the end and will Platinum tomorrow since I will have almost no clean up needed. Bought the Deluxe upgrade because I need that GT and Returnal avatars plus I love the ost. I can see myself coming back to the game soon to take a bunch of photos as I want run around in the GT costume and take pics around the levels.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
that should be the end of the level, once the bells fall it should raise a platform with a bot to rescue and that's it
About a dozen more tries I got it.
I just stuck to the outer ring before the fall. I kept thinking to jump to the center but that just made me fall and die.
Frustration.
The bells would laugh at me.

I now have 250 bots.

nowhat

This is one of those blatant games that when you’re playing it while you’re drinking, you’ll hit that point of pure perfect reflexes and nail everything in one or two tries.

But then you cross that drunk threshold and you go to complete shit.
Not directly related, but your post reminded me of this:

ballmer_peak.png

I'm not smart enough to live in 2024 apparently. I was stuck on the Triangle level Fragile Frenzy because I didn't know at the end you just hold and charge your punch to spin around and get rid of the exploding parasite bots LMAO

The Triangle levels didn't seem that hard to me, once I died a few times I had to regrow my platformer balls from my SNES and N64 days and then I cleared them

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm Nearly done with 3 galaxies. Over 150 bots so I guess I'm just over half way.

The magic here is nintendo level. Even beyond when you think of the extra horsepower and what asobi have done with it. I can't see how they can do a sequel to this because it is such a perfect love letter to 30 years of playstatuon I don't think they can do it again.

Anyway none of that shit really matter, when looking at thw merits of this game. So far, it's pretty much the perfect game.

I said it before and my only gripe as a mario platform fan is I wish astro had a more diverse move set. Like triple jumps, backflips etc. All that good stuff mario can do.

Apart from that, it's like top 10 games of all time so far for me. I hope it nails the landing. I'm in absolute love of this game.

xrnzaaas

I've finished the main levels and it was super fun, lots of great ideas, mechanics and cameos. Challenge levels from worlds 4-5 for me aren't fun so I don't think I'll be going after everything. It's still quite an achievement for me to play it even though I'm not really into plaformers and the last exceptions I made were the new Crash & Spyro games.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
100% it last night, but didn't platinum it. I didn't find the hidden levels too hard. The hardest IMO was the one that starts out with lava in front of you with the duck water thing. Other than that I didn't really have much of a problem with them. It was a great game. Won't be my GOTY, but it'll be in my top 5. I hope this becomes a franchise. Sony needs killer platformers in the rotation.

gow3isben

Playing Astro's Playroom and it is really fun and I like it but it isn't AMAZING or anything.

This one a big step up right? I plan to play this next.

Dude those first few triangle levels in world 2 were kind of a pain in the ass :messenger_grimmacing_

If it gets seriously progressively harder from that chances are I might not plat. Either that or I really need to bone the fuck up on my 3D platformer skills.
Don't worry. Those levels are the hardest in the game. All of other symbol levels are easier.

cormack12

Gold Member
What's the significance of saving the lost bots in playroom to this game? Do they make an appearance somewhere

Nydius

What's the significance of saving the lost bots in playroom to this game? Do they make an appearance somewhere

They get added to crash site but that’s it. When you first land there they’ll be stuck under rocks or in sand. They don’t do anything else in the game. All it really does is make your max bot count 305 instead of 301 and gives you a quick +4 bot count boost from the beginning.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wish Valkyria Chronicles was in it….especially the fact the first game was PS3 exclusive.

Also…..no 2B and A2?

Last edited:

Nydius

I wish Valkyria Chronicles was in it….especially the fact the first game was PS3 exclusive.

Also…..no 2B and A2?

No Final Fantasy 7 either, which I kept expecting to have show up given how crucial (and how well received) it was on the PSX. There were so many other Multiplatform games that were represented that I was certain we’d get something from that one.

Synastry

No Final Fantasy 7 either, which I kept expecting to have show up given how crucial (and how well received) it was on the PSX. There were so many other Multiplatform games that were represented that I was certain we’d get something from that one.
Blame Square enix for that you cant add characters if the company behind them says no.

If you noticed there are no characters from any square enix property in the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Blame Square enix for that you cant add characters if the company behind them says no.

If you noticed there are no characters from any square enix property in the game.
You are right, I cant believe Square refused, even Atlus put their Persona games in there....I wish some Vanillaware games would be there too but I guess they too niche......Jack Frost should have been in there, its Atlus's mascot.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

You are right, I cant believe Square refused, even Atlus put their Persona games in there....I wish some Vanillaware games would be there too but I guess they too niche......Jack Frost should have been in there, is Atlus's mascot.

Isn't Tomb Raider a Square property? Or did it change hands again?

kevboard

How many hours have you all gotten out of this?
DqSGZv4.jpeg

14h for the platinum.

it's a pretty easy game. easier tha Mario even as whole, so if you are good at platforming you'll rarely have to do a sequence twice, so getting the platinum and 100%ing the game can be done quite quickly.

as a comparison it took me 16h to 100% Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which I feel has a similar difficulty but was a bit harder to 100% as the final bonus stages were way harder and because you need to do some skill based stuff to collect everything, that you can easily mess up even in the normal levels. so I had to replay many levels for gold flags and some missed coins.

Mario Odyssey I didn't 100% but I stopped at around 95%, and that took me around 40 hours I think. that one is harder to fully complete as you can easily miss stuff like purple coins, which are then really hard to locate later on due to how big some of the levels are.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m super close to the end. I went back and 100%’d all the stages before I play the last stage or so.

I don’t want it to end, but I’m also excited to start a new file afterwards. I might dabble in a little speedrunning too.

Easy goty contender for me. Unless Prime 4 comes out this year, I don’t see anything else coming close to Astro Bot.

Darak

This game is absolutely incredible, and I'd put it with Mario Wonder as one of the best platformers ever made in the modern era.

Interestingly, after finishing it I downloaded Playroom again (I only played it on launch, and I remember it being decent but not much more). It's very interesting because it controls exactly the same and even has the same fodder enemies and other elements but, somehow, it doesn't have the same magic. The extra polish and much improved level design did wonders to the concept.

Top Bottom