• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

Dafegamer

Astro's Playroom was a demo filled with gimmicks that didn't control particularly well. The actual platforming levels were great but a far cry from Rescue Mission.... This game tho? Is a bonafide masterpiece in gameplay and level design and one of the best platformers ever made. People say it would've been more Top Tier if Astro got a deeper moveset, but the act of controlling the character is buttery smooth. A deeper moveset is definitely only a plus but this game is fantastic as it is. The level design and gameplay complement each other.

I wish Valkyria Chronicles was in it….especially the fact the first game was PS3 exclusive.

Also…..no 2B and A2?
Both Sega and Square Enix are notable for being largely absent from what I've seen

Sega I get, they were once rivals with Sony back when Sega was still a platform holder

Square Enix is a head scratcher, they made so many classics in the PS1/2 era

Last edited:

Nydius

Right? You’d think they’d want to celebrate their past history with PlayStation just as much as Sony would. Final Fantasy on PlayStation really opened up the franchise to a lot of new possibilities (not to mention new players) and gave rise to other Square projects like Parasite Eve and others.

If Square had stuck with Nintendo during that era, they would have taken a much, much different trajectory.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They also put a character from persona 5
They have P3,4 and 5 but I'm surprised Atlus didn't put Jack Frost in there.

It Atlus's number one mascot.
GL0y6xwacAA7TvA.jpg

Dafegamer

What all ASTRO BOT games got right(even the weaker entries like Astro's Playroom) is moment to moment gameplay feels tight the whole time. If a Platformer fails to grab my attention, I just skip it entirely. Sorry Yooka Laylee but looking at you, years full of hype then..... 😔

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I’m at 18 hours still need to do the big bird boss and 9 face button challenges. Plus I need to look up trophies. I only have 19 trophies so far.

nial

Both Sega and Square Enix are notable for being largely absent from what I've seen

Sega I get, they were once rivals with Sony back when Sega was still a platform holder

With Sega they put Kiryu from Yakuza.
They also put a character from persona 5
SEGA representation is among the best in the game; Aigis, Teddie and Joker from Persona 3-5, Kiryu from Yakuza, Ulala from Space Channel 5, and a huge SEGAGAGA tribute at the end of the game, including ACTUAL music from Thunder Force V.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SEGA representation is among the best in the game; Aigis, Teddie and Joker from Persona 3-5, Kiryu from Yakuza, Ulala from Space Channel 5, and a huge SEGAGAGA tribute at the end of the game, including ACTUAL music from Thunder Force V.
And yet they didn’t include Sonic, thats one if Sega’s mascot.

Vyse

Gold Member
Been on vacation. Have my copy waiting for me at home. Can’t wait to fire it up. Sounds amazing.

I don't consider Aigis, Teddie, and Joker as Sega, they are Atlus and Sega's acquisition of Atlus doesn't change the fact they existed before Sega acquired them

But the others I'll give you

Unrelated: this is also why I don't consider Call of Duty and Diablo to be Microsoft, like fuck that, MS spent $70 billion but they can't buy history

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Finished the game!
That was one heck of an ending sequence.
And those credits just continue the fun. Wow!
This is my game of the year.

Still have 10 face button challenges.
I might get them all eventually but It’s going to take time. Die over and over.
Got all the puzzle pieces but need all bots to unlock what I assume is final challenge.

Great Fun Game

Codeblew

I wonder what, if any, changes there will be on the PS5 Pro version. I also wonder if the upcoming free DLC is tied to the PS5 Pro release.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
As a follow-up post to my lengthy "review" I'd first like to say how happy I am to see so many have this as their GOTY and clearly state what is plain for all to see, hear and feel: this is one of the greatest 3D platformers of all-time. There is one point in particular though I've seen pop up numerous times and that is the idea of Astrobot abandoning in it's PlayStation centric nature in it's next game and "be it's own thing".

Nintendo is a company that rightly celebrates it's legacy/characters in various genres whether kart racer, brawler, sports and more. PlayStation has a legacy equal to the Big N and they've only attempted something like this once before in PlayStation All-Stars which was alright but in no way representative of PlayStation's 1st party quality. With Astrobot we've now got something that can go toe-to-toe with any Mario, fill a gap in Playstation's portfolio and do the "all-star" thing within a genre that not even Nintendo has done before, it would be a massive mistake to not follow through on the idea.

While Astro it is a celebration of all things PlayStation it's still very much it's own thing and maintains it's own identity. The stone cold fact is that there are only SIX actual, PlayStation themed levels, everything else is it's own unique creation. So this idea of "too much PlayStation" is objectively not true. Moreover, these levels are some of the coolest in the entire game and as an OG PlayStation fan who played all those games it was fascinating to see how the aesthetics and gameplay mechanics were translated into Astro's design language, I want more!

As it pertains to the overall universe and "narrative" as it were then yes, there is no way to repeat (or top) the way Astrobot celebrated all things PlayStation and they shouldn't even try. Keep the fundamental structure without the idea of rebuilding a PS5, calling in the PlayStation console cavalry etc. Have a special PlayStation themed level at the end of each galaxy and have those special bots but that's it, the rest is all Astro against whatever menace rules the day.

On the subject of bots, I've been thinking about who/what I'd like to see in a potential sequel. The lack of Square representation is the biggest glaring omission by far, I coined the PS1 era "The Golden Age of Square" years and years ago, there is a deep well to draw from and I kept waiting for Cloud, Ramza, Eve, Tidus, Ashley Riot, Vivi, Billy Lee Black (imagine? lol) or countless others to pop up. More characters I'd like to see: Maximo, Sweet Tooth, Wesker, Regina, Sora, Chimera (major omission, can absolutely see a Resistance level in a sequel), Nariko, ONE cyborg, Galahad, Tomba, Rayman, Jeanne D'Arc, Soul Sacrifice, these are just a few off the top of my head.

Anyway, Day 1 on anything team Asobi, PlayStation has another jewel in their crown with this talented studio, can't wait to see what's next!

[Sigma]

Finished with the Platinum. I mean I can say bunch of stuff but what can I say that hasn't been already been said in and around the net? lol. The game is worth all the praise it has gotten. Maybe I will talk about it more anyway later(or not)but for now.
ASTRO-BOT-20240914221647.png

ElRenoRaven

Dear god. So I've beaten a nebula a night minus the symbol levels and I really do love this game. Tonight was the
Chameleon
one. Finding the bots, puzzle pieces, etc is really challenging some times. Those symbol levels are almost impossible for me. Still I'm loving this game no doubt.

needless to say after it I still have both Lollipop Chainsaw and Funko Fusion waiting to get attention behind it. September just in this two weeks has been packed for me.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Got the platinum on it this morning! What a fucking pleasure it was to play and complete! Adored it from start to end. It sits comfortably alongside the Astro bot VR game as my fav PlayStation 3D platformer. Pure gold.

Finished and got all the bots last night! What's left to say other than it was amazing!

I think the biggest compliment I can give it is I would get disappointed if the game had the sheer audacity to give me the same power up twice. 🤣🤣

Even when that happens there's a new twist to it or it's in a completely different feeling level more often than not with a unique mini boss at the end.

Sublime 10 out 10.

Topher

Gold Member
Damn.....these button shape challenges are pretty tough, but very satisfying once you get through one.

I'm nearing the halfway point, I think.

100% Gorilla Nebula including lost galaxy
100% Tentacle System including lost galaxy
About 70% Serpent Starway

I'm already wanting DLC

Imtjnotu

Damn.....these button shape challenges are pretty tough, but very satisfying once you get through one.

I'm nearing the halfway point, I think.

100% Gorilla Nebula including lost galaxy
100% Tentacle System including lost galaxy
About 70% Serpent Starway

I'm already wanting DLC
some of the triangle levels pissed me the fuck off..

Imtjnotu

this is one of the best games ive ever played. im at the last stages of the game. still have to go back and find a few more puzzle pieces...

but one of the best levels in any game ive ever played is the mouse downsize surprise....

Im in the last set of levels, got all bots and pieces from first 4 areas, done all portals so far and have 2 void levels to do (I think) which is the infamous splashing sprint and dance to the beat, have to admit them two are kicking my arse at the moment and more expletives are coming out of my mouth than during a COD session.

Love the varied level designs, and different power ups. Deffo been one of the best games this generation for me (so far).

Shin-Ra

In Astro’s Playroom there’s a very brief stutter when you double jump, at the start and end of the lasers appearing. Thankfully Asobi removed this in Astro Bot.

It can’t be a rendering stutter so they must’ve taken inspiration from Wind Waker’s sword impact ‘flash’ stutter, like Dead Rising’s melee impact stutter.

Roufianos

Started it on Thursday and finished it today. Absolutely loved it, so refreshing on many fronts. Some of those optional levels were absolutely insane difficulty wise, but got there in the end.

Fuck the lack of anything Socom though. What does Sony have against that IP.

Top Bottom