• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

Finished it tonight. Got all the bots. All trophies that I can see (I never reveal hidden ones), missing four trophies, I think. The final level had one tough spot but otherwise not too bad.

Good game. Best non-Mario Mario game. Overall not as good as Mario Galaxy. I would re-play Galaxy anytime. This is a one-and-done. Maybe not even as good as Playroom? Maybe that is nostalgia talking.

Definitely worth full price and the time to play it. A system seller, possibly. I just never had any of those moments where I was blown away like I have with other recent games I've been playing.

The God of War level was an Emeril Lagasse chef's kiss if there ever was one. The purchase was already justified, but now it's confirmed objectively justified through a court of law. What a time to be alive. Wow. I'm actually frustrated at how nice that was and why I deserved to experience it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Anyway, if anyone is interested, we're getting Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Croc (yes, Croc), Rayman, Beyond Good & Evil and Assassin's Creed characters in future DLC.
We are getting Rise of the Ronin but not Sekiro?
13sentinels-ryoko-shinonome.gif

nial

We are getting Rise of the Ronin but not Sekiro?
13sentinels-ryoko-shinonome.gif
Well, Rise of the Ronin is a Sony game, so...
Still, I don't think these are all the DLC VIP bots, there's probably more as well.
Vanillaware representation would be cool considering how supportive Atlus and SEGA have been, and if we got Ulala from Space Channel 5, then nothing is off the cards.

Last edited:
Cleared the third area (Serpent Starway). The Dude Raider level was fantastic, they put so much love into their Uncharted Botcharted tribute damn

This is arguably the best 3D platformer not Mario I've ever played, and honestly I'm not saying as much as I should be because most 3D platformers not Mario are kinda shit. I think Astro Bot is better than Super Mario Odyssey though and that is saying a lot. The sheer amount of creativity in the level designs rivals Super Mario Bros. Wonder except Team Asobi made the level designs work in 3D instead of limiting them to 2D like Nintendo did with Wonder.

nowhat

Sekiro was released on all platforms and isn't associated with Playstation specifically at all. If it was Demon's Souls that would actually make sense as that game was PS exclusive originally
But there's also things like Amaterasu from Okami, that's hardly platform-exclusive. Arguably later ports saw a much wider audience than the initial PS2 release (which is wrong, but I digress).

But there's also things like Amaterasu from Okami, that's hardly platform-exclusive. Arguably later ports saw a much wider audience than the initial PS2 release (which is wrong, but I digress).
Okami was originally a PS2 exclusive and was ported later tho

Sony's being pretty lenient on this but from what I can see, Team Asobi tried to put things that were at least associated with PS in the early days, even if the initial release was both on PS and PC like Stray and then only got other versions later

Then again Ken and Ryu from Street Fighter are in the game and that franchise pre-dates Sony even being a platform holder to begin with so who knows what the criteria really are

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
100% so far for the first three worlds. Looking forward to the last two. I feel I was most blown away by the SHrinking mouse in galaxy 2, I hope there is more of that as the last few worlds are starting to show the lack of moveset astro has. I absolutely love the game but its slipping a little in my initial blown away feelings. Still well deserving of a 10/10. I am hoping the last two galaxies blow me away.

Love this game!

According to interviews, they approached many publishers and most of them were very receptive. Reading between the lines, this means some were not. My bet is that list includes Square Enix.
Square Enix must be as retarded as we all think then, because they missed a shot at having an entire level dedicated to Final Fantasy in Astro Bot. Team Asobi would have done it too, because of how iconic FF has been on PS starting with FFVII

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Square Enix must be as retarded as we all think then, because they missed a shot at having an entire level dedicated to Final Fantasy in Astro Bot. Team Asobi would have done it too, because of how iconic FF has been on PS starting with FFVII

I think it's insane that Aquare haven't ok'd this. What a mess. How can there not be a cloud bot etc. Effing stupid Square.

nial

Sekiro was released on all platforms and isn't associated with Playstation specifically at all. If it was Demon's Souls that would actually make sense as that game was PS exclusive originally
They're putting characters from Assassin's Creed and Beyond Good & Evil, so yeah, not sure about that. Demon's Souls (which is actually in the game) makes sense because it's a SIE IP, rather than the simpme fact of it being an exclusive.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Just got the platinum trophy tonight. What an absolute JOY it was to play this game. It’s every bit as good as the best 3D Mario game, what an incredible feat.

I put this game up there with Elden Ring for best games of the generation.

bender

What time is it?
Platinum get! I have some small niggles here and there but there is so many joyous moments that make me overlook those qualms.

Danjin44

100% so far for the first three worlds. Looking forward to the last two. I feel I was most blown away by the SHrinking mouse in galaxy 2, I hope there is more of that as the last few worlds are starting to show the lack of moveset astro has. I absolutely love the game but its slipping a little in my initial blown away feelings. Still well deserving of a 10/10. I am hoping the last two galaxies blow me away.

Love this game!
Those challenge level are challenging exactly because Astro’s limited move sets. If he had same moves sets as Mario then he would breeze through those levels.

Last edited:
Just got the platinum trophy tonight.
Platinum get!

People who get the platinum: I presume you use a guide or at least have all trophies revealed?

I rarely get platinum since I never use a guide or reveal the hidden entries. I could guess at a few of the entries I missed, since I got trophies for doing similar things on certain stages. I just play the game and whatever pops, pops.

Danjin44

People who get the platinum: I presume you use a guide or at least have all trophies revealed?

I rarely get platinum since I never use a guide or reveal the hidden entries. I could guess at a few of the entries I missed, since I got trophies for doing similar things on certain stages. I just play the game and whatever pops, pops.
The trophies are not that hard to get even if you missed a bot or puzzles piece you can use the little bird to help you find them.

The toughest trophy is last challenge level.

The trophies are not that hard to get even if you missed a bot or puzzles piece you can use the little bird to help you find them.

The toughest trophy is last challenge level.
Well, those trophies are obvious. I’m talking about the hidden ones, like finding all the “treasures” in you know which level, etc.

bender

What time is it?

A guide isn't really necessary but you probably will need to reveal hidden trophies. Speaking of trophies, completion rates seem really high even with it being a fairly easy game. 10% of players have a Platinum.

Wow FUCK the Splashing Sprint level, not because it's actually hard, but because the game absolutely doesn't explain that the homing missiles that frog enemy shoots stop homing when you kill it

I'll save anyone who's reading this 30 minutes of frustration and resorting to watching a Youtube video to see how to clear it: Throw the duck at the frog enemy right when it shoots the homing missiles, they will stop homing in on you, and then it's easy to hop up there and PUNCH HIS UGLY FACE INTO THE NEXT GALAXY

After that, the rest of the level was easy sigh

ElRenoRaven

Well beat it. Still have to try and beat the shape levels and pick up a couple puzzle pieces from final level but damn it was fun. Without a doubt This is a GOTY contender without a doubt.

More developers should take note of team Asobi's approach. Especially, the part about creators and developers themselves playing their own game frequently throughout development. Its pretty telling most AAA game developers don't do this imo and eventually become detached from their own creation along the way. Its one of the reasons modern AAA games lack authenticity.

Good to see Astrobot coming out and proving this approach is still valid.

What an amazing game, but something about it gives me motion sickness. Could it be the camera? 🤔 It's almost as bad as when I was getting used to playing games in VR.

Just got the plat today. Amazing game and really deserved all the high scores it got. It seems near impossible to play this game and not feel some type of joy. Just from the music, gameplay, the sounds and dances that Astro does and all of the nostalgia that comes through the game finding some of the bots and playing the last levels in a world. My only minor gripe is, I wish there was either a couple more levels. I'm fine with shorter games but felt a perfect balance would have been 1 more world. Like the game never wore out it's welcome for me. Was actually sad when when doing the very last level, though that was gonna be one more world. Or if they bumped up the difficulty just a touch. I get this is a family friendly game but outside of a couple of the X, O, triangle and square levels, everything else was a breeze, especially with how forgiving they are with checkpoints and no lives. Maybe the dlc will kind of be the 'hard mode' so to speak.

You probably don't need a guide. I didn't at least but maybe 5ish trophies are kind of just something completely random to do in a level that doesn't include doing something to get a bit or puzzle piece. I would be pretty surprised if people got platinums without revealing at least 1 of the trophies. ATM, the game has about a 12% Platinum rate which is pretty damn good!
Just completed the square “splashing sprint” level, Jesus it’s sadistic, whoever is responsible for designing that level probably needs to seriously consider some kind of therapy.
Yea, I complained about the game being too easy earlier in my post, but that level..... Man fuck that level lol. Truly think I died more in that level than the other toughest 5 levels combined in the game. The difficulty spike on that compared to everything else doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just completed the square “splashing sprint” level, Jesus it’s sadistic, whoever is responsible for designing that level probably needs to seriously consider some kind of therapy.

I've been trying all night to beat that one. Now it is midnight. Work is going to suck tomorrow.

Episode 2 Sleep GIF by Friends

Seems like Team Asobi likes to randomly have one of the Shapes challenge levels be much harder than the others in each area. In the Cross group, the hard one was "To The Beat!" which is appropriate because the hardest challenge level in Super Mario Bros. Wonder was in fact "Jump to the Beat!" There were a couple spots on that one I was stuck on awhile but I finally got gud and cleared it after fucking around and finding out for nearly an hour sigh

I've cleared all the Shapes challenge levels now except I guess for the final Master Challenge level. Better get on with clearing the rest of the story levels then

Actually ran into my first game crash today, it straight up froze on the "Shocking Behavior" level and then the PS5 threw up the error reporting screen and I would have been PISSED if it hadn't saved my progress because I had just cleared "To The Beat!" right before that one

Unrelated: I've never played LocoRoco but now I kinda want to because of that tribute level

Also fun: There's a rumor going around that the reason Square Enix has no representation in this game is because of all the publishers Sony approached, they were the only ones who asked to get paid LMAO

Last edited:

NeoLed

I resent the exclusion of Tenchu
Maybe I'll wait and see till all the DLC released. Still have to finish Wu Kong and Unicorn Overlord

Last edited:

nowhat

Also fun: There's a rumor going around that the reason Square Enix has no representation in this game is because of all the publishers Sony approached, they were the only ones who asked to get paid LMAO
I find this completely plausible. I imagine the negotiations went something like this:

[Square Enix executive] So let me get this straight. You want to use our characters - as a tribute to all the good times gamers have had with them in the past - for free? I know we're both Japanese, but can someone get a translator here because I can't understand what this guy is trying to say.

ToadMan

I did the platinum in the end even though I'm not much of a trophy hunter.

But it's straightforward if you get the bots and puzzle pieces so may as well.

Anyway having done all of that it really is a great game but I can't quite bring my self to say PS GOTY. It's probably just bad luck this released the same year as FF7 2R and for me, platformers are always a shallow experience in terms of gameplay, so I never quite put them on the top pedestal no matter how good they may be.

And I haven't gotten round to some of the other big games to come this year on PS and Switch either.

But, this should be considered an essential purchase regardless of whether you like platformers or not. It's retro in the sense that its a product that exudes quality like we used to get from console games often.

Not just a fun game, but content complete, performs well, has proper gameplay and was released in a reasonable amount of time. it's like a game we used to get when there wasn't a constant stream of patches.

It's depressing that games have gotten to state where a game that delivers like this is a rarity.

Anyway sad for what has been lost on consoles, but happy this game exists as a reminder. DLC bits to come sound fun so I'll be down to explore those when they get here.

ap_puff

Unrelated: I've never played LocoRoco but now I kinda want to because of that tribute level

to be honest if this is true i think they should have paid, unless squenix was demanding unreasonable amounts of money.

Nydius

damn....he makes it look easy
Videos always make it look easy. 🤣

I posted a video of my successful run of the Great Master Challenge to Facebook to share with a couple friends who don’t have the game and one of them commented: “that didn’t look that hard”.

Of course it didn’t. They didn’t see all the failures that happened before it.

Edit:

See? Totally easy! :LOL:

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One thing I didn't even know about until I followed a guide to get the last few trophies was that you can make Astro dance. Pretty sure the game never mentions this at all. A bit weird. It serves no purpose of course, but it is required for 100% completion.

Gerdav

Videos always make it look easy. 🤣

I posted a video of my successful run of the Great Master Challenge to Facebook to share with a couple friends who don’t have the game and one of them commented: “that didn’t look that hard”.

Of course it didn’t. They didn’t see all the failures that happened before it.
Yeah, it’s because you have to be perfect or pretty close too it to complete some of the PS symbol levels, if I had my successful run of that level captured it would look easy as would pretty much everyone’s, of course like you say it doesn’t show in my case the 40 - 50 odd attempts of abject failure.

sainraja

Holy fuck. This is soooo good. It should be easy to be cynical about the game, because on some level it's just like ultimate fanservice for PS fans, but when done so well, I really can't complain. Just went through the Bot of War level, and I really didn't expect things like that. This is so much more than an "extended tech demo".
I really liked that level and the Dude Raiding or Raider level. The game is pretty fun/good.

Top Bottom