• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

Barakov

My copy will be here on Saturday.

Lets Go GIF

pasterpl

Great OP - one thing I would add would be reviews, this would saves us from having 2 very similar threads for c=each game (this is not only re. Astrobot)

GinSama

Already pre order my copy, Amazon UK, it will be a stretch but hopefully I will receive it on Friday.

It's looking great, I just hope there will be enough substance outside of Playstation references and nostalgia.

This is my concern too. The first game was VERY easy and simple mechanically ...there's a trend with 3d platforms to make them incredibly easy these days too. Those two things could ruin this game for me.

A sequel needs to do everything bigger and better than the previous game. I have no doubt this will be bigger and better but by how much? Hellblade 2 is an example of a game where the devs forgot the memo on sequels as only the graphics were better.

Sintoid

I'm replaying Astro's Playroom for the new 4 bots to transfer friday, I didn't remember so much funny details in that game and Dualsense feedback is still unmatched

wvnative

Guys I have a huge favor to ask.

tldr: Born with degenerative muscle disease, can't use a dualsense, I use a dualshock 4 via a crazy ass adapter, I physically can not use motion controls, adaptive triggers (since DS4 doesn't have them) or the touchpad (i can physically use the touchpad, but this adapter blocks touchpad input for reasons that are beyond my understanding, and there are no alternatives that work)

When someone completes the game, can somebody post back and let me know if there any forced instances of

Touchpad input (the touchpad button works, just not swiping/touch input)

Adaptive triggers

Motion controls

Last edited:

tldr: Born with degenerative muscle disease, can't use a dualsense, I use a dualshock 4 via a crazy ass adapter, I physically can not use motion controls, adaptive triggers (since DS4 doesn't have them) or the touchpad (i can physically use the touchpad, but this adapter blocks touchpad input for reasons that are beyond my understanding, and there are no alternatives that work)

When someone completes the game, can somebody post back and let me know if there any forced instances of

Adaptive triggers

Motion controls
Isn't there a disability controller from Sony?

R6Rider

Gold Member

Adaptive triggers

Motion controls
As mentioned above there is a specialized controller you could try.

As for adaptive triggers and other features on the Dualsense, you should be able to turn those off at a system level.

sachos

So what are the review predictions, i hope for 90+ but i feel it may get something in the 85-88 range if the ingame PS hardware paraphernalia ends up being intrusive.

wvnative

Isn't there a disability controller from Sony?
As mentioned above there is a specialized controller you could try.

As for adaptive triggers and other features on the Dualsense, you should be able to turn those off at a system level.
1. The accessibility controller isn't suitable for my specific needs, the DS4 with the special adapter works fine for me.

2. Disabling adaptive triggers on a system level won't work if there's sequences in the game that will require them, see Astro's playroom.

I'm replaying Astro's Playroom for the new 4 bots to transfer friday, I didn't remember so much funny details in that game and Dualsense feedback is still unmatched
The Dualsense battery drain is unmatched too

I'm going to need to charge my controller every 3 hours while playing through Astro Bot

Elfstar

This is my concern too. The first game was VERY easy and simple mechanically ...there's a trend with 3d platforms to make them incredibly easy these days too. Those two things could ruin this game for me.

A sequel needs to do everything bigger and better than the previous game. I have no doubt this will be bigger and better but by how much? Hellblade 2 is an example of a game where the devs forgot the memo on sequels as only the graphics were better.
That's the biggest concern I have with the game, Playroom had such a simplistic, overly limited moveset... they could've copied Mario in that aspect too. They're going to add variety with all those control gimmicks, though.
I also expect an extremely easy game, with the more challenging stuff relegated to the optional stuff. That's the mainstream formula of course.

I'm not seeing a single addition to the already limited moveset he had in the first game! This is why i think the game will disappoint. We'll be one shot punching and doing that little water hover attack to kill enemies throughout the game it seems....
"Water hover attack" dude seriously. That ain't water.

Dafegamer

I'm not seeing a single addition to the already limited moveset he had in the first game! This is why i think the game will disappoint. We'll be one shot punching and doing that little water hover attack to kill enemies throughout the game it seems....
Movements mean shit when you don't even use it. Did you even use all the moves in Super Mario Odyssey for example? I don't get the movement comments, when the levels don't require to use the moves and I bet you wouldn't use them anyway. As a pure Platformer 3D World was better than SMO despite simple movement. It's about the level design layout if so many movements is even required. Don't get me wrong SMO is still a better game overall, but platformer don't need complex movements, to be great platformers.

Quantum253

Gold Member
I'll add to the movement discussion. The standard set of movement mechanics are basic, just as all platformers are. Mario 64 had some interesting flip combos, but for the most part, basic moves.
The innovation for Astro shines in 2 parts; texture/feel of surfaces and suit mechanics.

The sound and feedback of walking on different surfaces is best in class. Nothing else feels like it and it greatly increases the satisfaction of movement.
The suit mechanics feel great and utilize all aspects of the controller. The inclusion of haptic triggers and feeling/hearing the tension is awesome.
Combined it has made an already fun platform outstanding and has set a standard in my mind; which I think Nintendo should adopt, to become a definitive platforming standard.

Taking everything that makes Astro amazing and flushing out a full game will include more innovative ideas and imaginative uses of the Dual shock. At the end of the day, movement is what sets Astro as a Game of the Year contender

Dafegamer

I'll add to the movement discussion. The standard set of movement mechanics are basic, just as all platformers are. Mario 64 had some interesting flip combos, but for the most part, basic moves.
The innovation for Astro shines in 2 parts; texture/feel of surfaces and suit mechanics.

The sound and feedback of walking on different surfaces is best in class. Nothing else feels like it and it greatly increases the satisfaction of movement.
The suit mechanics feel great and utilize all aspects of the controller. The inclusion of haptic triggers and feeling/hearing the tension is awesome.
Combined it has made an already fun platform outstanding and has set a standard in my mind; which I think Nintendo should adopt, to become a definitive platforming standard.

Taking everything that makes Astro amazing and flushing out a full game will include more innovative ideas and imaginative uses of the Dual shock. At the end of the day, movement is what sets Astro as a Game of the Year contender
Yup, the only requirement for great platformers is tight controls in moving or jumps. Saying Platformers not having somersaults makes them bad is some 🧢 bullshit. I understand if the basic physics are weak/floaty but as long as controls are tight who gives a shit? Plenty of platformers have double jumps, yet most are inferior to SM3Dworld or Astro Bot Rescue Mission as example for the platforming physics alone

Last edited:
Top Bottom