• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

I'm gonna wait on reviews, but I don't think I can wait until Christmas to play like I wanted to if this is as good as people think it will be.

Kerotan

Did anyone get the 4 hidden robots? Those puzzles were pretty challenging. Makes me wonder if their going to add them into AstroBot
I thought they said they'd carry over to astro bot as playables? That would be sick playing as the ape escape monkey.

Esppiral

Why is this the game I've been more excited this entire gen?

Because Astrobot is love!!!!! Can't wait for tomorrow to come!

Flintty

Great OT!

Sold me on the controller, managed to snag one just now. Might pick up the game later (I should really finish Play Room first!) :messenger_robot:

tommib

y7rK1HO.jpeg

Reaseru

Those who are already playing it, it's really that good? I don't trust the hivemind known as the gaming media, but I trust your feedback. How is it?

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Those who are already playing it, it's really that good? I don't trust the hivemind known as the gaming media, but I trust your feedback. How is it?
If you played astros playroom you will know that this will be quality. I have no doubt and can’t wait to jump in late tonight.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
It's good to reminisce every now and again, a little over a year ago:

I said it after playing through Astro (and loving every second of it), give us a full fat game on the scale and scope of a Super Mario Odyssey. Astro was a love letter to all things PlayStation and cool way to expand upon that would to visit different game worlds based on PlayStation 1st party IP. Horizon World, Uncharted World, Ratchet World etc, each making full use of the DualSense with unique mechanics, would be something special.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be great whatever it is, will be there day 1.

All I know is PlayStation stay winning, GOTY contenders delivered year in and year out. But please, give me more doom and gloom threads, shower me in salty tears, it's lifeblood to me. Can't wait, Amazon bro just needs to come through midday, I'll have all afternoon and evening to play, he can take the morning off lol.

Also:

Brilliant OT.

People who have played Rescue Mission, please share some thoughts in here if there are substantial differences in the gameplay mechanics between the two titles. Genuinely curious what Team Asobi has done this time.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Played it a for bit and I'm already loving it. It's Astro's Playroom, but so much more.

The first two locations that I finished were super fun, and what immediately caught my eye were the physics which are dialed to 11.

I feel like the dualsense implementation (especially the haptics combined with the sound from the controller) is even better than Astro's Playroom.

There's also quite a few secrets so it's worth exploring and paying attention to how you can interact with the environment in certain situations (same with the enemies).

Reactions: XXL

nowhat

Holy fuck. This is soooo good. It should be easy to be cynical about the game, because on some level it's just like ultimate fanservice for PS fans, but when done so well, I really can't complain. Just went through the Bot of War level, and I really didn't expect things like that. This is so much more than an "extended tech demo".

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Amazon dropped my copy off a day early. It is a really good game. Runs perfectly and looks great. Lots of creativity.

kevboard

I really like it so far. 100%ed the first world, 100%ed 3 secret exit levels and started world 2.

I GOT ONE BIG COMPLAINT THO... and I hope they maybe will patch this,
the camera speed is WAY too slow. as in, I legit would want it to be about 3x~4x faster than it currently is.

other than that it's really fun... the main platforming mechanics can't compete with the likes of Mario, but the gadgets and dualsense mechanics are fun and the vibes are immaculate

Last edited:

onQ123

We got us a banger on our hands with this one fellas. A real banger.

We got us a Mario 64 on our hands here folks.
Do you understand what you're saying?

As I realize that you could be right because this would have to be the quintessential PS5 game & that title is actually still up for grabs

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wait, so this isn't just more gimmickry? Astro's Playroom was kinda fun, but I'm not a huge fan of games that just try to do novel things with the controller. If this is more of a normal sorta game, I'm in.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Are they doing a early release 12am East coast / 9pm west for the digital? I got mine at Best Buy, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow afternoon.
This weekend is going to be nice CoD6 and Astro

Poppyseed

Omg. This game is WONDERFUL. And on my 32” 4K OLED in HDR it’s just a joy. And the music! And the haptic feedback! This is what games are about. Just. What a love letter to PlayStation and most importantly - to gaming itself. It’s part Mario, part Donkey Kong, all humor and joy. It’s a much better game than Mario Wonder, which was already a very good game. This thing just kicks ass. All kinds of ass. All the ass. So much ass!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s funny how only this studio knows how to use haptics and control sounds. Everything in the game has a distinct sound and feel to it. And not just surfaces like grass or ice, but also objects you can interact with. What a waste of a great controller by Sony. 99% of the devs don’t know how to use it. I think returnal and Demon souls are the only ones who do a semi decent job while astrobot is just on another level.

Lots of physics interactions so far. It’s cool to see in a video game as basic as this game looks. It really adds to the immersion.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is the most Nintendo non-Nintendo game I have ever played, in a great way. It borrows SO many design philosophies from Mario, specifically from Galaxy and Odyssey. But it is by no means a copycat game, there’s still so much that is either unique to Astro Bot, or even beats Mario.

For example, some of the physics-based interactions simply have never been possible on any Nintendo platform, and while most of the more complex stuff is superficial, it’s still fun. And the haptics are better than anything you could do with joy cons, just like Playroom.

There are secrets EVERYWHERE, and the game makes you want to explore every single inch of every stage, acknowledging and rewarding even the most obscure places you get to.

The gameplay is tight as hell, and while it doesn’t have the same complex and chainable controls as something like Odyssey, it’s still extremely serviceable. Plus the stage gimmicks are AWESOME and so creative.

It’s so unapologetically Nintendo, even the first boss is basically Donkey Kong, even with the fuckin red girders to get to him 😂.

This game is so good. I gotta stop for tonight, but I can’t wait to finish work tomorrow and sink my teeth into this. I really can’t wait to see what else this game has in store.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Can't believe the cameo bots in the second world (Creamy Canyon), won't spoil it. Longer post coming after I've spent a few hours with it but right now I'll say this is pure, unfiltered joy, looks, sounds and *feels* incredible, this is going to be something special 🥳

ElRenoRaven

This game is sneaky. The hidden things you can find really are cool. Needless to say Yup I'm in love with the game after having played a couple more levels.

Top Bottom