• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What do you like 3D Mario so much for?

If it's the movement I think you'll be a bit disappointed lol
It’s the combination of things that really does it for me. Movement and character gameplay is definitely a big part of that. If Astro Bot is similar to Playroom, I understand it won’t have the same kind of diversity and freedom something like Odyssey has, but it’s still very tight and exploitable.

I also love the level of polish and detail in Mario games, and there’s no question that Astro Bot hits it out of the park there.

I’m also a big fan of bespoke stage and character gimmicks, and frankly from what I’ve seen, I feel like Astro Bot is going to surpass most Mario games in that area.

And finally one of the biggest and most difficult things to get right is creative and challenging level design. This is really where a lot of 3D platformers fall down. Mario games have such a great way of subtly giving you most of the information you need to know how to tackle a challenge at an instant glance, while still feeling satisfying to conquer. And the best type of level design is the kind that allows you to tackle it a variety of different ways, giving the player the choice of how difficult they want things to be.

For some of its pacing flaws, Odyssey is absolutely remarkable at doing this. Just watch any part of an Odyssey speedrun to realize that the skill ceiling is insanely high. The skips and exploits are a product of the tightly intertwined controls and level design.

Anyway, I could go on all day talking about why I love Mario games so much, but it really just boils down to expertly crafted gameplay all around. In any case, based off of Playroom and everything I’ve seen so far with Astro Bot, Asobi understands so much of this design language. And yet it’s still a unique flavor of gameplay compared to Mario. That’s super exciting to me, since I generally only get like one good 3D platformer every 5-7 years.

Am I wrong for thinking if this were a Nintendo game it would be at around 97/98 MC?

Like i've heard a lot of people say it's better than Mario Odyssey for one...
I really don't think there is some conspiracy that people try to paint about certain publishers or devs releasing games. The typical Sony or Nintendo tax that people throw around, it's just mainly noisy nonsense. I will say though, Odyssey has a crazy MC score that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Its a really good game but nowhere near that. And even now I feel like most people agree, the game rarely gets talked about when bringing up other great platformers. Its like a 8.5 to 9 for me. The 2 previous galaxy games as well as Astro bot rescue mission were EASILY better games.

This game got a 94 my man. It is within margin of error of the best games ever made. It is LEGENDARY, and it is more recent so the score is stronger than a 97 from 8 years ago.
Lmfao no.

Just no.

It’s a very good plaformer, great even…but is definitely being over-inflated a bit due to the context of the current gaming climate.

If this game came out in 2018 there’s a very low chance it would have got a 94 on metacritic. Just look at the obvious proof, which is Astro Bot Rescue Mission, which came out in 2018 and got a 90.

Your theory of “high scores being harder to get in 2024” is bs, it’s actually the opposite. Gaming is so dogshit now that reviewers are starving for good games to praise, so when a few (and I mean few) of them come around each year, they score them higher than they normally would have in a gaming climate with regular, quality releases - which is a climate that we enjoyed pretty much all the way up until this bleak, terrible generation.

Last edited:
Wow even better than expected. Undoubtedly this will be GOTY right? This really reminds me of when I was a kid and each console came out with a platformer that utilized the system in a way that you could show off. Miss those days

Last edited:
You've played it?
I don’t need to. I know what I’m talking about, and I know I’m right.

dCcZiWm.jpeg
2sl8Bs2.jpeg

Any more questions?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
God damn that metacritic. I was interested in this game and kind of hungry for a good 3D platformer in general so that's all the convincing I need. Consider it bought.

I thought for sure this game would have to pay the "not Nintendo" platformer tax. Nice to see it do so well.
Astrobot is charming as F and if they retained the guy who did the Rescue Missions OST, you'll be in paradise.

It's honestly full-on retarded on Sony's part that they've taken this long to give the masses a true Astrobot game. Playroom is a great pack-in but it is a fart in the wind compared to Rescue Mission. Team Asobi is the real deal and Astrobot is the IP that Sony should be running with.

Laugh it up while continuing to not deny or disprove my point.

God of War 2018 - Revolutionized the God of War franchise, a breath of fresh air, one of Sony’s best games ever made, one of the greatest gaming comeback stories of all time - 94 Metascore

God of War Ragnarok
- More of the same of 2018, but with none of the “freshness” or the “comeback story”…with some added bloat…and worse writing…and more annoying Atreus…and Kratos acting like a submissive pussy - 94 Metascore

Spider-Man 2018
- The best Spider-Man game ever made, possibly the best superhero game ever made, and one of the most fun PlayStation exclusives to play from its generation - 87 Metascore

Spider-Man 2
- More of the same of 2018…with woke trash writing…the same repetitive side content…disappointing visual leap…few more swinging mechanics - 90 Metascore

Horozon Zero Dawn
- A new IP from Sony from a developer only known for one type of game, but a genuine surprise and one of the most beloved and acclaimed games by the PlayStation community and reviewers alike - 89 Metascore

Horizon Forbidden West
- Better graphics…but bloated (in more ways than one) and worse than Zero Dawn in pretty much every way - 88 Metascore

Astro Bot Rescue Mission 2018
- Regarded as one of the best platformers ever made, praised by critics and players alike. Known as the killer app for the hardware it was designed for - 90 Metascore

Astro Bot
- Another high quality Astro Bot game…but very likely not of any higher quality than the highly praised “masterpiece” that released in 2018 - 94 Metascore

If you don’t think review score inflation is a thing this generation, you simply are not paying attention or you’re denying reality.

Last edited:

XXL

Laugh it up while continuing to not deny or disprove my point.

God of War 2018 - Revolutionized the God of War franchise, a breath of fresh air, one of Sony’s best games ever made, one of the greatest gaming comeback stories of all time - 94 Metascore

God of War Ragnarok - More of the same of 2018…with some added bloat…and worse writing…and more annoying Atreus…and Kratos acting like a submissive pussy - 94 Metascore

Spider-Man 2018 - The best Spider-Man game ever made, possibly the best superhero game ever made, and one of the most fun PlayStation exclusives to play from its generation - 87 Metascore

Spider-Man 2 - More of the same of 2018…with woke trash writing…the same repetitive side content…disappointing visual leap…few more swinging mechanics - 90 Metascore

Horizon Zero Dawn - A new IP from Sony from a developer only known for one type of game, but a genuine surprise and one of the most beloved and acclaimed games by the PlayStation community and reviewers alike - 89 Metascore

Horizon Forbidden West - Better graphics…but bloated (in more ways than one) and worse than Zero Dawn in pretty much every way - 88 Metascore

Astro Bot Rescue Mission 2018 - Regarded as one of the best platformers ever made, praised by critics and players alike. Known as the killer app for the hardware it was designed for - 90 Metascore

Astro Bot 2024 - Another high quality Astro Bot game…but very likely not of any higher quality than the highly praised “masterpiece” that released in 2018 - 94 Metascore

If you don’t think review score inflation is a thing this generation, you simply are not paying attention or you’re denying reality.
All this post proved is Playstation makes really good fucking games.

Nydius

The response of someone who has no actual rebuttal lol

You're lucky anyone is bothering to respond to you at all. Pulling made up 'facts' out of your ass to support your own made up theory isn't worth anyone's time. The game got a 94. There's no "review score inflation". The more you claim there is, the bigger a fucking buffoon you appear to be.

Last edited:
All this post proved is Playstation makes really good fucking games.
If that’s what all you take from it…I can’t help you

But I won’t argue with it. I will say that their games were better (and fresher) last generation though.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Astro Bot looks fantastic. The premise was always going to be fun. Now, if you ain’t down with that, I gots two words for ya……..

wwe-suck-it.gif

Stating your own personal opinion does not "prove" anything.
It’s not personal opinion.

I haven’t even played a few of those games (though I have played most). A lot of it is based on countless comments and opinions I’ve read over the years from players who have played these games on NeoGAF, Era, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, even instagram comments. Not to mention some IRL acquaintances.

So no, those descriptions are not based on my opinion. They are pretty much consensus are far as I’ve observed over the years.

(Obviously a place like Reddit or RetardEra isn’t calling Spider-Man 2’s writing “woke trash”, but I see that sentiment almost everywhere else.)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It’s not personal opinion.

I haven’t even played a few of those games. A lot of it is based on everything I’ve read from actual opinions of players who have played these games on NeoGAF, Era, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, even instagram comments.

So no, those descriptions are not based on my opinion. They are pretty much consensus are far as I’ve observed.

eh.....you don't speak for anyone but yourself dude. lol....just going to leave it at that

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Fuck it. I decided to start a new game and blitz through Playroom again.

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

eh.....you don't speak for anyone but yourself dude. lol....just going to leave it at that
You’re right. That’s why I’m giving the “general consensus opinion” that I’ve seen regarding these games, with heaviest influence coming from none other than the website we’re posting on right now.

None of those things I wrote about those games are “my opinion and my opinion only” lol.

Labadal

It won't, but thanks for your concern, I guess
I think it will. It happened with most other Sony platformers. I'm still waiting for more Ratchet, Sly, Daxter. Hell, even more LBP. The latest Ratchet had barely made any profit from what I remember. The latest LBP games wasn't exactly a top seller, either.

Last edited:

nial

Astrobot is charming as F and if they retained the guy who did the Rescue Missions OST, you'll be in paradise.

It's honestly full-on retarded on Sony's part that they've taken this long to give the masses a true Astrobot game. Playroom is a great pack-in but it is a fart in the wind compared to Rescue Mission. Team Asobi is the real deal and Astrobot is the IP that Sony should be running with.
Astro Bot 2024 became extremely anticipated thanks to Astro's Playroom. Astro's Playroom is the one game that introduced the series to a lot of people out there, all due to it being free with PS5.

Topher

Gold Member
You’re right. That’s why I’m giving the “general consensus opinion” that I’ve seen regarding these games, with heaviest influence coming from none other than the website we’re posting on right now.

None of those things I wrote about those games are “my opinion and my opinion only” lol.

That's fine, but it isn't "proof". It is simply your own perception of other people's opinions. No one here is going to accept that as proof of anything and they shouldn't, because it just isn't.

source: trust me bro

Last edited:

nial

I think it will. It happened with most other Sony platformers. I'm still waiting for more Ratchet, Sly, Daxter. Hell, even more LBP. The latest Ratchet had barely made any profit from what I remember. The latest LBP games wasn't exactly a top seller, either.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart sold ~4M units (and was profitable, btw) in exactly 2 years, while having much less hype, lower review scores, smaller marketing push and being $10 more expensive.
Astro Bot will be fine.
LBP3 was actually the best selling one in the series, but the series overall wasn't really as popular as many people think.

Top Bottom