• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monkfish877

This is what I want from Sony, none of that GAAS nonsense, delighted for team Asobi. I just hope the great reviews translate to high sales, we shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Tg89

Am I wrong for thinking if this were a Nintendo game it would be at around 97/98 MC?

Like i've heard a lot of people say it's better than Mario Odyssey for one...
Eh, Odyssey was also 7 years ago now. Both things can be valid.

Tears of the Kingdom was pretty unanimously a much much better BOTW and didn't score higher than BOTW.

Last edited:
I hope Sony learns from this that you CAN make great games that sell well that are smaller in budget and come out more frequently

AstroBot 2 as a PS6 launch title is basically guaranteed at this point

Now make Asobi bigger and have multiple teams/projects. Build them into the entire future of SCEJ from the ashes of what was shut down

Imagine Asobi taking on the Zelda series for instance?

Last edited:

Zones

Am I wrong for thinking if this were a Nintendo game it would be at around 97/98 MC?

For one, Mario Galaxy 2 is a better platformer than Odyssey (and honestly most people agree with that statement), and considering the former came out 7 years before the latter, Mario Odyssey having the same overall score as Mario Galaxy 2 in itself doesn't make much sense.

Fabieter

For one, Mario Galaxy 2 is a better platformer than Odyssey (and honestly most people agree with that statement), and considering the former came out 7 years before the latter, Mario Odyssey having the same overall score as Mario Galaxy 2 in itself doesn't make much sense.

It's great game overall but it was oberhyped for sure.

Three

I hope Sony learns from this that you CAN make great games that sell well that are smaller in budget and come out more frequently

Now meme Asobi higher and have multiple teams/projects. Build them into the entire future of SCEJ from the ashes of what was shut down

I'm hoping it sells as well as it has reviewed. It's not always a given. Look at Hifi rush and possibly FF7 Rebirth.

Loboxxx

Neo Member
500_333.jpeg

Last edited:

Rudius

Eh, Odyssey was also 7 years ago now. Both things can be valid.

Tears of the Kingdom was pretty unanimously a much much better BOTW and didn't score higher than BOTW.
7 years is a long ass time, but it's more than that: Switch is basically a beefed up PS360 with lots of ram, so the PS5 is more than one generation ahead in terms of power. The Digital Foundry video shows this quite well.

Mozzarella

Well yeah this was expected for me, this game looked too good on that showcase i knew it was going to be 90+
I still think Rebirth will win though.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Sales wise i would be super happy with 5m copies sold in launch window(so 60usd/euro price, before any discounts) and 10m ltd by the end of this gen, but ofc if its more then even better :D
Playstation 5 sold enough units for it to be possible, iirc around 60m by now, and ltd we can almost be sure ps5(+pr0) gonna break 100m too xD

Zacfoldor

So, and I know this won't go over very well, but this score kinda disproves the Sony tax, Xbox tax, Nintendo tax thing.

I mean, yeah. There is no tax or bonus. It's a crazy conspiracy theory that would have inevitably been leaked by now if it were true and also completely disproven by scores like this one.

This game got a 94 my man. It is within margin of error of the best games ever made. It is LEGENDARY, and it is more recent so the score is stronger than a 97 from 8 years ago.

So:

1. This game is likely BETTER than Mario Odyssey
2. The critics who do the scores on the aggregate are too dumb to have ever done that conspiracy theory

It's funny. I love it. But it IS fake though, we made it up because we didn't like Nintendo constantly releasing bangers when our guys couldn't do shit. Now our guys figured it out. They made a game just like a Nintendo and look, 94.

I mean, even if we want to be stubborn here and say "no, I can't accept that" wouldn't it make a LOT more sense after this to simply say that quality platformer games rated E for everyone get bonus points instead of Nintendo games get bonus points?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My mind says high 80s but my heart says 90 plus.

I'm interested to see if journalists are still on their woke tirade after concord and mark it down for not having pronouns etc

I think we can officially say this doesn't happen. We don't have to be afraid anymore.

DJ12

Well, they did make a PSVR only game.
And it was the best PSVR game you could get apparently.
How people can still care about xbox versus playstation in 2024 is beyond it me. Now its about amazing games made by passionate devs who care about gamers versus woke/vapid/trash/generic games and devs like concord
This game if it does well, will show all the purple haired they/it crowd that actually people don't care about characters having purple hair and mental challenges, they care about games being fun.

Astro Bot could actually save gaming by giving those people a reminder of whatbthey should be doing.
pffft....I am way ahead of you...

yuj1Fg9.png

92idpe.jpg
Deluxe edition? Think not you cheap ass mutha f@#%a :p
He's had a busy week review boosting Astro Bot

sachos

Now make Asobi bigger and have multiple teams/projects. Build them into the entire future of SCEJ from the ashes of what was shut down

One can only hope man. I think every one of their studios should have 1 or 2 smaller teams working on smaller budget games like this. Like a constant game jam state.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You can't claim victory when you cover a quarter of the entire range.

Forbidden Zone Cheating GIF by Eternal Family
4Tr1N6c.jpeg

That's a big ass range.
I remain with my prediction, 75 or 95.

Do i fucking rest my case or what? 🕺

MacReady13

WHAT?!? What does Nintendo have to do with this? You played it yet? Mario is deserving of its high praise, as is this game. A 90+ score is nothing to sneeze at, and being a couple of points shy of a Nintendo game isn't worth making up shit over.

Reactions: Isa

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
4Tr1N6c.jpeg

Do i fucking rest my case or what? 🕺
You picked up the entire haystack and then act like you were spot on for getting the needle.

Well, there's no way around it, Nintendo definitely gets a bonus. Don't want the rabid fanboys to send hate and death threats your way for giving one of their flagship titles a perfectly fine score of 7 or 8.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I refuse to watch any review or video at this point since I don’t want to be spoiled, but I’m also so hyped that I can’t keep myself away from this thread.

It’s seriously so exciting that a non-Nintendo studio has produced a 3D Platformer on their level. I know I’m a broken record at this point, but 3D Marios are easily my favorite games, and I stand by the opinion that literally no other 3D platformer has ever come close to that quality.

This feels like a gift made just for me. I might call off work tomorrow lol.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well, there's no way around it, Nintendo definitely gets a bonus. Don't want the rabid fanboys to send hate and death threats your way for giving one of their flagship titles a perfectly fine score of 7 or 8.
I’ll never understand the allegiance to specific companies. I like Mario games because they’re good, not because they’re made by Nintendo. Whenever another company makes an awesome game, I celebrate and enjoy it.

Astro Bot feels unprecedented because, historically, Nintendo has been the only real player in the 3D platformer genre pretty much ever. I’m absolutely over the moon that there’s another developer who has the chops to compete in the space they’ve dominated for decades.

I couldn’t give a shit if Astro Bot was on the Switch, the Xbox, or the fuckin Ouya. More good games benefit everyone, there is literally zero downside.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I refuse to watch any review or video at this point since I don’t want to be spoiled, but I’m also so hyped that I can’t keep myself away from this thread.

It’s seriously so exciting that a non-Nintendo studio has produced a 3D Platformer on their level. I know I’m a broken record at this point, but 3D Marios are easily my favorite games, and I stand by the opinion that literally no other 3D platformer has ever come close to that quality.

This feels like a gift made just for me. I might call off work tomorrow lol.
What do you like 3D Mario so much for?

If it's the movement I think you'll be a bit disappointed lol

Hookshot

Gold Member
If we are going to humor conspiracies then wouldn't it make more sense to inflate this games score so it's competing with Nintendo and therefore drive more clicks from both Sony and Nintendo people to see what's going on, on your website? Than it would to just boost Nintendo scores and miss out on all the Sony clicks.

And with that sound reasoning I think we can all agree this game is really in the 85-89% range.

Nydius

Hmm, let's have a look at OpenCritic scores of recent Mario platformer releases:
Super Mario Wonder: 91
Super Mario 3D Land & Bowser's Fury: 89 (original on WiiU: 93)
Super Mario Odyssey: 97
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe: 79 (original [on Metacritic, couldn't find on OC]: 84)
Super Mario 3D All Stars: 83

Seems like your argument holds no merit and, in fact, if it were a Nintendo game it would probably score a few points lower.

Gonzito

I dont know. On one hand, I am not a big fan of this type of game and it doesnt help that the theme and vibes are a bit childish. On the other hand, the reviews make it look so good that I am tempted to buy it. I dont know what to do papis

Go_Ly_Dow

What a rollercoaster week it's been for @Ass of Can Whooping. First the Concord debacle and then Astro Bot.

Can we all give him our thoughts and allow him the time he needs to come to terms with everything when he returns tomorrow.

Nvzman

Mario Odyssey is easily the most overrated 3D Mario platformer by far.
I love Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy (imo Galaxy is one of the best games ever made), but Odyssey was kind of a let down for me, primarily because as much as I liked 3D World I also think that one is fairly overrated.
I searched across every level, collecting as many moons as possible, and beat the game in like 6 hours. And unlike Galaxy which had Luigi as a 100% reward (which was awesome), you just get a slightly rearranged boss rush (which IMO was the worst part of the game, I did not care for the bosses at all). Odyssey feels MUCH less like Sunshine in terms of level design, or even Galaxy, and instead feels much more like 3D World level design all spliced together in a tiny world. A lot of linear challenges just sort of jumbled into a somewhat cohesive layout. I was massively let down by that and how completely artificial all of the lands feel (every world is just suspended over a bottomless pit instead of being an actual natural land formation).

That being said, I'm very tempted to pick up Astro Bot, I loved Playroom.

Top Bottom