• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ma-Yuan

Have it since yesterday great game my son loves it.
cmgG7Ef.jpeg

Best overworld and hub of all-time? They're certainly in contention.

Like all recent Mario games the challenging pure platforming levels are optional and yes like the rest of the game they are very good. People that 100% the game are going to have a blast. I know I am so far.

Out of dozens and dozens of levels played so far, there has only been one where I was like "hmm, that was baseline good." One level that I would give a B. Every single other one has been an A or A+ so far.

Game is pure and utter magic. Every single moment there is something new and surprising that is delightful. First night I played it I was just in disbelief at the level of creativity on display. There are things they've shown in the two trailers that have further twists on them/are still surprising in the game.

There are gimmicks and ideas and included material in here that are frankly shocking. That is all I'll say. Hope everyone has a blast with it this weekend.

But yeah I wouldn't let people claiming that they got the platinum already and it was easy dissuade one from picking this up. There are challenging pure platforming stages that are very good. One of them took me around 15 tries, and I'm only 1/3rd of the way through the game. Ain't claiming to be a god-tier speedrunning platforming savant, but I'm decent at them. Once again, game is a blast. Have fun with it.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

I hate to be this guy. But if it was Nintendo it’d be a a guaranteed 95. And i’m a diehard Nintendo fan.

I’m really hoping it is good enough to reach the 90’s. Personally I believe it will stand out in a sea of disappointing or uninteresting platformers.
things like this happen with some ps game too , god of war ragnarok recieved alot of 10/10 and 94 meta , lets be honest that game is a max 8/10

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My mind says high 80s but my heart says 90 plus.

I'm interested to see if journalists are still on their woke tirade after concord and mark it down for not having pronouns etc

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

all the references to Playstation characters and the Playstation esque design are totally turning me off.
Why? Does it brake the immersion for you? I prefer well dosed references in form of secrets, but it won't bother me as much as the Monster Energy in Death Stranding.

Dunno if this has been posted. Long 40 mins session gives a good idea about the game.

Looks a bit basic in platforming and enemy attacks etc. maybe its better to play?

I get that all the grizzled vets out there are going to wage console wars over this, but it's simply not possible to hate Astro Bot. The game is pure joy and the main ingredients are love and charm. I am expecting 90+ even when the dust is settled, a must have for PS5 owners.

My life is getting busier by the week so I may not be there day 1 but will be playing this for sure in the near future.

Astro Bot is charming?

Maybe you find vacuum cleaner in your home charming as well?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm thinking high 80s. Very well made, good but basic gameplay, great visuals, leans too much on nostalgia and doesn't really have an identity of its own. Something like that.

Last edited:

Fishels

things like this happen with some ps game too , god of war ragnarok recieved alot of 10/10 and 94 meta , lets be honest that game is a max 8/10
Wow! I actually agree personally with that lol. Be careful that opinion you might get got. I would say 8.5 tho.

midnightAI

Dunno if this has been posted. Long 40 mins session gives a good idea about the game.

Looks a bit basic in platforming and enemy attacks etc. maybe its better to play?

Astro Bot is charming?

Maybe you find vacuum cleaner in your home charming as well?

Most people have played astro bot before y'know, we know exactly what to expect

Ogbert

Gold Member
I’m thinking 93/94.

I suspect Sony pulled Concord because they knew they had an absolute banger in the same week.

Cakeboxer

Game will be an easy

80-84%​

GAF is on pure cope thinking it will reach high 80's or even 90 on MC.
This won't age well. Astro Bot Rescue Mission was already a 90 and this game won't piss anyone off, because they don't have genders, races or sexual preferences.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
With a bit of luck my copy should arrive later today. I should also receive that cute Astro Bot plush since it was a pre-order bonus from the retailer I got my copy from. Can't wait!

Ontopic: My prediction is 89 - 90.

Last edited:

tommib

This won't age well. Astro Bot Rescue Mission was already a 90 and this game won't piss anyone off, because they don't have genders, races or sexual preferences.
Astro Bot RM was a VR revelation. It was groundbreaking in its set up. This is a bigger playroom still in pancake mode. Which was received in low 80s. Happy to be proved wrong. But I don’t think it will be above that.

I have it pre-ordered and can’t wait.

Cakeboxer

Astro Bot RM was a VR revelation. It was groundbreaking in its set up. This is a bigger playroom still in pancake mode. Which was received in low 80s. Happy to be proved wrong. But I don’t think it will be above that.

I have it pre-ordered and can’t wait.
Sony games as Nintendo games are usually rated higher, because of the huge fanbase. Everyone knows that Sony right now really needs a 90 game after the Concord disaster and i'm damn sure they will get it. There is no way this will score lower than 89 even with edgelords like this trying to be the party pooper: https://www.thegamer.com/astro-bot-isnt-a-celebration-its-a-graveyard/

If Astro Bots scores lower than 89, choose me an avatar for 1 month.

skit_data

Gold Member
I'm guessing it's getting 89 but I wouldn't be suprised to see it hit above 90. Kinda depends if there's one or two clickbait reviews trying to be edgy with wierd complaints on some subject vaguely connected to the game. You usually get those nowadays, I've noticed.

Cyborg

Higher score means that a lot of people on the fence/casuals will buy the game at full price, higher sales will send a message to Sony about focusing of what they do best: single player experiences.
Do you realy think an avarage gamer (or kids) look at Metacritic/Review scores? If its appealing, fun and has good marketing it doesnt matter if its high 80s or 90s.

tommib

Sony games as Nintendo games are usually rated higher, because of the huge fanbase. Everyone knows that Sony right now really needs a 90 game after the Concord disaster and i'm damn sure they will get it. There is no way this will score lower than 89 even with edgelords like this trying to be the party pooper: https://www.thegamer.com/astro-bot-isnt-a-celebration-its-a-graveyard/

If Astro Bots scores lower than 89, choose me an avatar for 1 month.
You’ll be regretting that hard man. Fasten your seatbelt.

SweetTooth

Gold Member

I think you got this backwards, they will mark it down because it DOESN'T have genders, races ...etc plus not being Nintendo game 🤣

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
You have 142 messages and your account is from 2020... You're averaging less than 35 posts a year... obviously you look like an alt account.

What a weird thing to say. Perhaps the guy/girl has a life and doesn't spend all day on this forum? I have an acc since 2016 and still at 1.900 posts. This year I don't think I have made more then 10 posts or something.

Cakeboxer

I think you got this backwards, they will mark it down because it DOESN'T have genders, races ...etc plus not being Nintendo game 🤣
Those people are probably already happy when there is no straight white male in the game and i don't think Sony can complain about preferential treatment. Nintendo and Sony are equally privileged.

Top Bottom