• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 230 people killed in Brazil nightclub fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenest

Sao Paolo, Brazil (CNN) -- A fire swept through a popular nightclub in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria, killing at least 90 people early Sunday, officials said.

The death toll was expected to climb as firefighters continued to pull bodies from the Kiss nightclub, Col. Adilomar Silva, the regional coordinator of civil defense said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/27/world/americas/brazil-nightclub-fire/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

A terrible tragedy. Reuters is reporting over 200 deaths now. Condolences to all those affected in Brazil.

Blutonium

What a way to go... Reading this reminds me of the 'The Station' nightclub fire which has been filmed from start to finish. That video is haunting.

soepje

Awful, plus who knows how many people are injured. Where they not following up the fire safety regulations that so many people couldn´t get away in time?

GMM

Banned
My bet is that safety regulations were never properly enforced (Brazil is probably lax on enforcing them) and a total disregard for for safety by the band or manager.

The isolation really seems to be the big issue at all modern night club fires in modern times, surely they could use something not extremely poisonous?

isuzu

Awful, plus who knows how many people are injured. Where they not following up the fire safety regulations that so many people couldn´t get away in time?

Only 1 emergency exit door was open. Firemen had to break the walls so people could leave :(

MrHicks

Banned
third world country
shitty mandatory safety regulations probably

so in case something does happen the death toll is insane

skybaby

third world country
shitty mandatory safety regulations probably

so in case something does happen the death toll is insane
And nothing will change, no one will be charged and this will be filled under "tragedy" and "fatality" as it usually happens.

Oh my, that's awful. I couldn't even imagine being in something like that. All the best to the families who lost someone and the people who survived, however few.

Dead Man

Nightclub fires are always dangerous. Intoxicated people, little room, usually poor interior design for the movement of people.
RIP.

Atlantic

I worked in a rather large night club for years and knew the place inside and out, but cannot say that in a such a panic, in the dark and with that many people - that I would instinctively know where to run.

To be almost blind in this situation is horrifying.

GMM

Banned

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ugh, fucking terrifying. That video from The Station is haunting. I always look for exits in situations like these now.

Those poor people =(

My God they are saying the security closed all the exits in fears of people not paying.

The firefighters said there where pile of corpses in the exits.

slit

Ugh...sounds like another pyrotechnic mistake, like the Station Nightclub blaze in Rhode Island several years back.

My God they are saying the security closed all the exits in fears of people not paying.

I think I'm going to be sick!!!!

What the hell? That is awful, I'll try to read a little bit about the topic since it's hard to believe that if the fire already started the security guards did that :(

skybaby

Someone said on the radio that there were around 4000 people in there. There was only one exit, which sits beyond the payment booth, and the crowd is guided to the booth between iron bars so its even tighter. only then you get to the door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom