• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 230 people killed in Brazil nightclub fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure is it is the same as in Rio de Janeiro but you will be given a "card" that you have to present in the bar for every drink then at the end of the night you present the card and pay whatever you ordered and if you didn't order anything you pay the "ticket" price or the cover.

Jal

2009: Santika Club, Bangkok, Thailand - sparked by fireworks; 66 killed
2009: Lame Horse Club, Perm, Russia - sparked by fireworks; 150 killed
2003: The Station, Rhode Island, US - sparked by fireworks; 100 killed
1996: Ozone Disco Club, Quezon City, Philippines - 160 killed
1990: Happy Land, New York, US - arson kills 89 at unlicensed club
1977: Beverly Hills Supper Club, Southgate, Kentucky - 165 killed
1970: Club 5-7, Saint-Laurent-du-Pont, France - 146 killed;
1942: Cocoanut Grove, Boston, US - 492 killed.

C'mon Sons

245 deaths confirmed. Around 90% of it is due to asphyxiation.

Cause of the fire was fireworks.

It seems the club was overcrowded worsening the chaos.

This is so horrible, what an horrible way to die. You go out to have some, to unwind after the week end and meet your demise because of some assholes.

I also was pumped to go to Brazil, I heard the clubs are awesome. I still probably go because the odds of that happening again are pretty low.

God bless their souls

Fuck. This just ruined my Sunday.

Fuck that club owner.

If you read the wikipedia entry for The Station nightclub fire, it has a diagram of where people died. You can see where a few poor sods died in the back of the club because the owner/bouncers padlocked the side exits and everyone rushed the front entrance. :(

Sad that nothing was learned from that incident, especially in regards to capacity and pyrotechnics (why would anyone ever allow fireworks inside a club?)

Altazor

this is absolutely tragic. My heartfelt condolences for the families and friends of all the victims. Also, I hope (maybe in vain) the people responsible for this face justice: the security measures of the pub were sub-optimal, FIREWORKS inside the club, the security guards were (apparently) preventing people leaving without paying, etc. With all these things adding up, it just can't be held as an unavoidable yet sad accident, there has to be justice.

Guri

Even worse: The club security locked the front door so that no one left without paying. And now, because of that...

Guri

That system of paying as you exit just blows my mind...are they hoping people bombed out of their minds overpay?

It's not as simple as that. It's worse: They refused to open even as the fire spread. And the band had some kind of fireworks show that started the fire.

Valnen

My God they are saying the security closed all the exits in fears of people not paying.

The firefighters said there where pile of corpses in the exits.

Those security guards along with whoever gave that order deserve the death penalty. They're guilty of mass murder.

skybaby

Firefighter saying on radio the bodies had their phones on them and the place they were sent to has over a hundred phones ringing non stop.
What an eerie scenario

Zeroth

Seeing if anyone I know was there. I know a friend who lives in the city didn't go to that nightclub, but I need to check the others. Still, this is terrible news :(

luso

What?! Where was that said?

Here (Portuguese).

Main title reads
Main entrance door was locked when fire started, says Chief Firemen.
A witness told securities locked the club to avoid youngsters leaving without paying [as they believed the tumult had the purpose of doing that].

A facebook photo was published by one of the DJs at the time of pyrotechnics:
pirotecnico.jpg

Also, as The Station fire,

The fire started when main vocalist introduced himself and a pyrotechnics show started. The sparkles reached the acoustic isolation foam and fire spread.

Wow....how incredibly sad. Is money really worth more then a human life?

Hearing about the bodies piled up by the entrance reminds me of the Station fire. Ugggg that video.

Those security guards along with whoever gave that order deserve the death penalty. They're guilty of mass murder.
Agreed there. Absolutely sickening the staff did that.

Any staff that blocks exits at anytime should be prosecuted and sued into oblivion. Concerned over nonpayment in times of non-emergency? Call the police and have them deal with it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just woke up and saw a special report on TV. Holy shit, man.

The worst part is that I had no doubt security was holding people in.

IceCold

wow this is terrible. RIP

They should ban pyrotechnics in buildings. Fireworks in a club are just a recipe for disaster.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Hearing about the bodies piled up by the entrance reminds me of the Station fire. Ugggg that video.
I only recently watched this. The fire spreads so fast, and the panic is so disturbing — people literally stuck in doorways all trying to get out at once.

245 is a horrifically high number. How terrible.

Horrible news, well wishes go out to the families and friends of all.

I'm amazed that they still continue to set off fireworks inside of a compact indoors setting. Surely all of these horrible mass tragedies have shown that it is not a safe thing to do? There has to be some replacement for whatever thrill you get from blowing something up and putting everyone's life at risk (brighter flashing light poles or something? I don't know).

I only recently watched this. The fire spreads so fast, and the panic is so disturbing — people literally stuck in doorways all trying to get out at once.

245 is a horrifically high number. How terrible.
I literally got nightmares from that video.

Why the fuck would you light fireworks indoors dammit? How does that sound any remotely smart?

Brazil

That system of paying as you exit just blows my mind...are they hoping people bombed out of their minds overpay?

These clubs work like restaurants. You don't have to pay for drinks when you get them - only when you leave.

That way drunk people end up exaggerating all the time.

They give you these "invoices" of sort so you barely keep track of your expenditure and mainly, to speed up bar service. There are quite a few places where you add credits to the card on entrance, as there are ones where you pay when you exit the house.

This is a huge tragedy with quite a number of culpable factors that haunt most of the clubs I've been to. Poor to non-existant emergency exits, overcrowd, terrible air flow and unprepared management/workers.

Brazil

This is a huge tragedy with quite a number of culpable factors that haunt most of the clubs I've been to. Poor to non-existant emergency exits, overcrowd, terrible air flow and unprepared management/workers.

This is the main reason why I don't go to clubs anymore. It's fun, but it's just not worth the risk. Hell, I've witnessed a little fistfight between three drunk idiots end up badly for at least 20 people.

Sticking hundreds in a dark, cramped, locked box is never a good idea, and it's even worse in a country that doesn't seem to give a shit about security measures.

Guri

No emergency exit! People blinded by the smoke ended up in the bathroom thinking that was the exit and died there. :/

Man, I can't even imagine the horrors these people went through before they died.

245 deaths is a true tragedy. :(

Main door was locked and no emergency exit, what the fuck? Were these guys looking for this to happen?!

Man, I can't even imagine the horrors these people went through before they died.

245 deaths is a true tragedy. :(

Main door was locked and no emergency exit, what the fuck? Were these guys looking for this to happen?!

A lot of them probably passed out from smoke inhalation before the fire. So I guess theres that one mercy :-/

Tecl0n

2009: Santika Club, Bangkok, Thailand - sparked by fireworks; 66 killed
2009: Lame Horse Club, Perm, Russia - sparked by fireworks; 150 killed
2003: The Station, Rhode Island, US - sparked by fireworks; 100 killed
1996: Ozone Disco Club, Quezon City, Philippines - 160 killed
1990: Happy Land, New York, US - arson kills 89 at unlicensed club
1977: Beverly Hills Supper Club, Southgate, Kentucky - 165 killed
1970: Club 5-7, Saint-Laurent-du-Pont, France - 146 killed;
1942: Cocoanut Grove, Boston, US - 492 killed.

C'mon Sons

2004, Republica Cromañon (That's the name of the club), Argentina, sparked by a firework flare, left 194 dead. We'll probaly start recieving reports, of overcapicity, closed doors in fear of non-payers, and incorrect maintenance. The striking resemblance of this tragedy to that one is terrifying, and is having a lot of repercussion in the country. My condolences to our Brazilian neighbours.

Guri

2004, Republica Cromañon (That's the name of the club), Argentina, sparked by a firework flare, left 194 dead. We'll probaly start recieving reports, of overcapicity, closed doors in fear of non-payers, and incorrect maintenance. The striking resemblance of this tragedy to that one is terrifying, and is having a lot of repercussion in the country. My condolences to our Brazilian neighbours.

Actually, there were between 300 and 400 people. And max capacity was 2000. Still, bad interior design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom