• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 53 dead after explosion in Lahore's Gulshan-i-Iqbal Park (Pakistan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will never end, we better get used to it.

At least 53 dead after explosion in Lahore's Gulshan-i-Iqbal Park - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

LAHORE: An explosion occurred in Gulshan-i-Iqbal Park of Iqbal Town on Sunday evening, killing at least 53 people and injuring over a 100, police said.

Iqbal Town Superintendent of Police Dr Muhammad Iqbal said the explosion was a suicide attack and took place in a children's park, where a large number of families, especially women and children, were present on a Sunday evening. The area is a renowned residential area of Lahore.

‘Dead bodies everywhere’

Eye witnesses said there were pools of blood and scattered body parts in the park.

An eyewitness, talking to DawnNews, said dead bodies and injured were on the ground everywhere.

"We took the injured to hospitals on rickshaws and taxis."

He said the crowd was "unusually large" because of Easter.

"The roads were also jammed and queues of vehicles could be seen till Moon Market."

Many eyewitnesses said there was no security present in and around the park. A man, talking to DawnNews, said:

"The park is huge and has many entrance gates. There was almost negligible security personnel present there."

A Rescue 1122 spokesman confirmed that an emergency call was received at around 6:44pm and that over 20 ambulances reached the site.

An emergency has been declared at all government hospitals in the city, and a heavy contingent of police has cordoned off the area.

Place: Allama_Iqbal_Town in Lahore, Pakistan
Source: Dawn (newspaper)

I wonder if Christians were specifically targeted (due to Easter).

/Update 1: yes, apparently they were:

Suicide blast kills at least 65 in Lahore park - The Express Tribune

TTP’s Jamaatul Ahrar claims responsibility

A Pakistan Taliban splinter group claimed responsibility for the deadly suicide attack.

“We claim responsibility for the attack on Christians as they were celebrating Easter,” spokesperson for the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, Jamaat ul Ahrar, Ehansullah Ehsan told The Express Tribune over telephone.

“It was part of the annual martyrdom attacks we have started this year,” Ehsan said, adding the operation codenamed “Saut-ul-Raad” will continue this year.

“We had been waiting for this occasion,” the TTP JA spokesperson said. “We want to convey to the ruling PML-N and the prime minister that we we have arrived in Punjab and we will reach you”.

Death toll at 69:

Suicide attack kills at least 69 in Lahore; Army deployed | Pakistan - Geo.tv

LAHORE: At least 69 people were killed and over 300 others injured in a deadly suicide explosion near the city’s Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park on Sunday, rescue and security officials said.

/Update 2:

hTiykMB.jpg

qCeCIFV.jpg

kGcwxLh.jpg

@ijazulhaq
ID card of alleged Lahore attacker #LahoreAttack
n1NAwJq.jpg

/Update 3:
BBC mention a possible explanation for the timing of the attack.

Meanwhile in the capital, Islamabad, police fired tear gas at thousands of protesters who marched in support of Islamist gunman Mumtaz Qadri, who they see as a religious hero.

Qadri was hanged last month for the murder of Punjab governor Salman Taseer five years ago.

Mr Taseer had defended a Christian woman jailed on blasphemy charges.

dabig2

Early evening
Easter
Children's park

Fuck. RIP to those who lost their lives in this senseless violence.

As a Turk I send my condolonces to brother nation Pakistan. Think about who dies in these. All innocent people. That could be a person your age with the same loves and worries as you. It breaks my heart.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Just got the Facebook notification for this saying I should respond if I am safe or not...I live in the Mid West not the Mid East, sorry Facebook.

On another note, RIP to the victims.

Isn't Lahore relatively peaceful compared to the North or Karachi? Have the Taliban come around there? This sounds like an anti-Christian massacre. Depressing stuff.

yeah I got a Facebook notification as well in the UK - perversely, it got me to research and find out more about an attack that would have only briefly crossed my radar otherwise.

An attack on a childrens' park, just a few metres from the swings is truly awful and senseless.

slider

All these fucking countries and their people... they could be achieving so much if it wasn't for the misguided, evil, minority. I'm not sure how you think you've advanced your aims.

Ushay

A plague on humanity. Just unthinkable, Lahore is where most of my relatives are from too :(

These attacks have very frequent in Pakistan in the last few years. Wasn't there a school that was attacked a year back?

FTF

I'm running out of things to say. A children's park...for fucks sake. Sigh...

RIP and my sympathy to the families.

hypernima

Banned
What could even be the rationalization of their already shitty ideology to even target a children's park.

Absolutely terrible.

Pakistan needs to step up and do something. They've been slowly going down the militant Muslim rabbit hole for a place that used to be leaning secular decades ago.

Kater

Banned
This is terrible. My condolences to everyone that lost someone. I hope the people that have gotten injured survive.

Really messed up for people to do this.

What the fuck. Pure evil.

Senseless.

But I guess that's what the cowards want. The path of least resistance that will cause the biggest event.

Valhelm

contribute something
I know very little about the factions in Pakistan besides the Taliban. What groups are fighting, and what do they fight for?

Also, what's the history of Easter in Pakistan? Did the British bring some kind of Easter celebration?

And yet, people sit at home and see this shit and their propaganda and think "yep, I can get down with that. Sign me up."

Can't actually win a war ANYWHERE in ANY country... So you blow up civilians instead.. Cowards.

good fucking god, a park with children?? WHY?

you can't go lower than that. the people responsible are just 100% evil, and i don't even believe in evil. there's just no rationalizing this.

what next, old folks homes? hospitals for the mentally ill? you fucking depraved pieces of shit extremist scum.

Zapages

Before everyone thinks they are targeting Christians. It was national holiday due to Easter so all Muslims and non-Muslims were out enjoying a day off.

RIP to everyone. :(

damisa

Before everyone thinks they are targeting Christians. It was national holiday due to Easter so all Muslims and non-Muslims were out enjoying a day off.

RIP to everyone. :(

They wouldn't attack on Easter if they weren't targeting Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom