• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 53 dead after explosion in Lahore's Gulshan-i-Iqbal Park (Pakistan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapages

They wouldn't attack on Easter if they weren't targeting Christians

I've been to this area in the past... Easter is the day off for everyone. They were targeting Easter due to everyone was free and roaming around.

The area is really busy on weekends when I was there. It would definitely be more busy with children roaming around when it was a day off from work. It was like long weekend due to Good Friday.

It was a Sunday anyway.

Some business used to do Friday and Saturday off. I don't know if it still true, but larger business do Saturday and Sunday for days off. Also Friday is like a half day for them.

Whoever they were targeting it sucks and really terrible. :( They should be ashamed of themselves. :( Pakistan should go after and see who did this.

Targeting innocent folks goes against every religion out there. :(

At some point the people living around these people will have to rise up against them. Just too much evil to sit idly by.

Uhh you do realise people have been against such attacks since Lahore or any Pakistani city started having targeted bomb blasts. We're almost more than a decade into this now. Nobody wants this to happen in any place in the country, it's already devastated us too many times. Besides the ongoing war, there's already a been military-front operation going that's provided some relief but not enough unfortunately for now.

Prayers for the victims and their families tonight. I've been to the park couple of times and I can't imagine how it was tonight on a packed Sunday evening. Testing times.

At some point the people living around these people will have to rise up against them. Just too much evil to sit idly by.

but how to determine who's who beforehand?

I do think that intelligence agencies need to send raid squads commonly and quickly to actionable pieces of intelligence--but in terms of improving said intelligence..I'm not sure

breakfuss

Soooo freaking weird, Facebook sent me a notification asking if I was okay. For some reason it assumes I'm in the area.

but how to determine who's who beforehand?

I do think that intelligence agencies need to send raid squads commonly and quickly to actionable pieces of intelligence--but in terms of improving said intelligence..I'm not sure
I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers but from what I've seen people in the community know exactly who do these things but are terrified of them and rightfully so.

Just got the Facebook notification for this saying I should respond if I am safe or not...I live in the Mid West not the Mid East, sorry Facebook.

On another note, RIP to the victims.

Got the same message despite being East Coast. What a weird way to find out about this.

R.I.P

Just got the Facebook notification for this saying I should respond if I am safe or not...I live in the Mid West not the Mid East, sorry Facebook.

On another note, RIP to the victims.

I got the same thing, I live in South Carolina...

However it is thanks to Facebook mistake that I know of this

There is no possible reason anyone's God could approve of something as bullshit as this.

Only true sickness in the mind can lead to something like this.

Goddamn this makes me angry. We had a pretty good year ever since the operation against these scum and now more people die. This is depressing.

Drencrom

I just can't fathom that there are people that are so evil and pathetic they go out their way to senselessly kill innocent children like this

breakfuss

Not that they should be killing anyone, but why terrorize your own people? And children at that. I thought the West is who you hated? Just further proves these people have no point.

Not that they should be killing anyone, but why terrorize your own people? And children at that. I thought the West is who you hated? Just further proves these people have no point.
If it's really response to the Pakistan military operation in the NWFP region, then their reasoning goes "well now that you have bombed and killed hundreds of our women and children, this is payback". It's false and fucked up. Tribal mentality. They don't have an idea of a nation-state.

Henkka

Banned

If it's ISIS, they hate everyone but themselves. Most of ISIS's victims are muslims.

Bedlam

They don't have an idea of a nation-state.
I've read that quite a couple of times recently, mostly with regards to the performance of the military in these regions (many deserters and whatnot).

And you know what, maybe the common enemy of ISIS (and its offshoots) will pave the way for the development of a national consciousness.

If it's ISIS, they hate everyone but themselves. Most of ISIS's victims are muslims.

Yeah, they think that the way "normal" people practice Islam is totally wrong and should be punished.

But on the other hand, they are evily clever unfortunately. They know how to strike hard in order to make people fear for their lives and fear different people. The only way to get rid of them is to surpass these anxious thoughts even though it's hard, it's really only like that that we can destroy ISIS

HarryKS

All these fucking countries and their people... they could be achieving so much if it wasn't for the misguided, evil, minority. I'm not sure how you think you've advanced your aims.

It's not misguided though. It's literal. To them, it's the right thing to do. The criminal act absolves them. Therein lies the conflict.

Lamel

Banned
RIP, what else is there to say. One of my close friend has family that lives right by there. It is a peaceful residential neighborhood. Lahore in general is not an unstable city or anything. This is tragic.
Pakistan needs to step up and do something. They've been slowly going down the militant Muslim rabbit hole for a place that used to be leaning secular decades ago.

To those saying Pakistan needs to step up, the country has launched an extreme military offensive against terrorists. A lot of the attacks have been backlash against that (ex. The Peshawar school shooting). The people there are truly tired of this nonsense as it did not really occur prior to the war on terror. These terrorists are pure scumbags.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

You're assuming they view their victims as one of their own. Here's the breakdown for the groups these creatures hate, and in what order:

Shiites Muslims
Apostates
Ahmadiyya Muslims
Sunni Muslims who actively denounce them
Related clan and tribe members who don't pledge allegiance to them
Christians and other non Muslims living in their country
The West

I forgot to add the token Israel hate. It goes up and down that list depending on the flavour of the week.

orochi91

If I recall correctly, they've already had several extensive military campaigns to root out terrorists in that country, so it remains unclear as to what more Pakistan can do at this point.

Unfortunate.

Apparently I was right:

Suicide blast kills at least 65 in Lahore park - The Express Tribune

TTP’s Jamaatul Ahrar claims responsibility

A Pakistan Taliban splinter group claimed responsibility for the deadly suicide attack.

“We claim responsibility for the attack on Christians as they were celebrating Easter,” spokesperson for the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, Jamaat ul Ahrar, Ehansullah Ehsan told The Express Tribune over telephone.

“It was part of the annual martyrdom attacks we have started this year,” Ehsan said, adding the operation codenamed “Saut-ul-Raad” will continue this year.

“We had been waiting for this occasion,” the TTP JA spokesperson said. “We want to convey to the ruling PML-N and the prime minister that we we have arrived in Punjab and we will reach you”.

Death toll at 69:

Suicide attack kills at least 69 in Lahore; Army deployed | Pakistan - Geo.tv

LAHORE: At least 69 people were killed and over 300 others injured in a deadly suicide explosion near the city’s Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park on Sunday, rescue and security officials said.

Before everyone thinks they are targeting Christians. It was national holiday due to Easter so all Muslims and non-Muslims were out enjoying a day off.

RIP to everyone. :(

Seems like the target was Christians though (independently of whether only Christians died). So maybe next a time wait a bit before posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom