• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Vylash

i find that people who hate atelier's time limit just tend to suck at managing their time, it's super easy tbh

Christhor

It's pretty silly how much people hate the time management aspect of the series. Especially considering how mild it is. It's basically just making sure that you don't spend hours grinding levels or something like that, while also being a good reason for how the story progresses. From what I know of Shallie, it feels like there's going to be a lot more boring down time, filling the requirements for the next story sequence, than in the previous titles.

Vylash

It's pretty silly how much people hate the time management aspect of the series. Especially considering how mild it is. It's basically just making sure that you don't spend hours grinding levels or something like that, while also being a good reason for how the story progresses. From what I know of Shallie, it feels like there's going to be a lot more boring down time, filling the requirements for the next story sequence, than in the previous titles.

so essentially Escha but even more free time, oh god

Arthea

that's not really true. I don't hate timed aspect, but I preferred structure Atelier games had before, meaning not timed.
About why people don't like it. It's not mild, or even close to that in Rorona, for example, the time frame is so tight that there is no way even to experiment with alchemy and that's reason for many to play Atelier games. Escha and Logy timing was almost perfect for doing a lot of alchemy and exploration but it's pain if you just wanna run through game a second time or third time.
It would have been nice if Gust just branched series, kept Mana Khemia going together with timed Atelier games. Everybody would be happy.

Christhor

that's not really true. I don't hate timed aspect, but I preferred structure Atelier games had before, meaning not timed.
About why people don't like it. It's not mild, or even close to that in Rorona, for example, the time frame is so tight that there is no way even to experiment with alchemy and that's reason for many to play Atelier games. Escha and Logy timing was almost perfect for doing a lot of alchemy and exploration but it's pain if you just wanna run through game a second time or third time.
It would have been nice if Gust just branched series, kept Mana Khemia going together with timed Atelier games. Everybody would be happy.

Rorona is pretty much the only one of the modern Atelier titles that have a strict time limit, which was changed when they remade the game. Totori and everything after has left you with more than enough time to mess around.

You do realise that it was Mana Khemia's terrible sales that made Gust go back to the series' roots, right? It would have been a very poor decision to alternate between Atelier and Mana Khemia titles. They could make them on the side, like the Ar games, but they probably want to use their spare time to make something that's not so similar to Atelier.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
What was Shallie's DLC like in Japan? It looks like the swimsuits were free?

Quixzlizx

Rorona is pretty much the only one of the modern Atelier titles that have a strict time limit, which was changed when they remade the game. Totori and everything after has left you with more than enough time to mess around.

You do realise that it was Mana Khemia's terrible sales that made Gust go back to the series' roots, right? It would have been a very poor decision to alternate between Atelier and Mana Khemia titles. They could make them on the side, like the Ar games, but they probably want to use their spare time to make something that's not so similar to Atelier.

That's too bad. I love Mana Khemia, and want more games like it. At least I've heard that Shallie is a spiritual MK3.

Also, this isn't strictly Atelier news, but the Ar Tonelico 2 retranslation patch is in open beta now. I haven't seen it posted on GAF, although I've been avoiding the Ar nosurge thread to avoid spoilers.

Also, this isn't strictly Atelier news, but the Ar Tonelico 2 retranslation patch is in open beta now. I haven't seen it posted on GAF, although I've been avoiding the Ar nosurge thread to avoid spoilers.

IIRC someone on there posted about it.

(Speaking of that, anyone know if once it's finalized if it'll be possible to play the retranslated version on a real PS2? I had picked up a slim model to play some of my older games since my phat died, but I dunno about if you need SwapMagic or something else to run it.

I'm assuming you'd burn the patched retranslated version to a DVD and use SM or something else to make the PS2 run the disc?)

Quixzlizx

I don't know about SwapMagic in particular, but you'll need some sort of solution that allows the PS2 to run burned isos.

I'm LTTP: when it comes to this series

Just started last night at Escha and Logy, and all I can say is WTF this game is deep.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love it. Finished the first Job so far

omlet

Just started Escha and Logy this week and all I can say is Escha having three different BARREL lines is amazing.

I'm also digging the music so far. It's making a stronger impression on me than Ayesha's did in a good way (except I don't like the vocals in the title movie or the OP after first assignment is finished).
I still switched the Atelier theme to Rorona's, as usual, since it's dabes.

I kind of miss the threat of deadline bearing down on me like the Arland series had more of than the Dusk series, but I can do without it. Looking forward to digging into this game's alchemy system!

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed this vague rating on the German rating board:
zeROlZF.png

Triple pack incoming? I wonder who's publishing it, NISA or Koei Tecmo?

redhairedking

zeROlZF.png

Interesting, I'm not sure how well it would do considering it would be the third release of these games, but it can't hurt.

Vylash

zeROlZF.png

i'd totally buy the Arland trilogy for a third time, those games have their claws in me too deep

If their the exact same games with no changes, I wouldn't have any reason to buy them other than getting them for the other people and forcing them to try it. :)

Right now, I'm feeling the itch to replay Atelier Totori. I almost want to make a thread about how I think the game is great, but their is things that totally could've been better and make the game even greater.

For example, if Totori actually aged during the 4-5 years before setting sail and saying her good-byes to her family and friends in Alanya, I think the scenes their and the ones leading up to it could've been much better and more believable. As it is, it just looks like her father just sent his youngest 13 year old daughter to her doom and doesn't care, when she actually spent years trying to grow and working for this moment. Ceci's worries would still be warranted.

I guest Gust doesn't have the budget/time to make those extra character models and portraits and stuff.

Her being alone on the ship looked silly too, because most of us are probably bringing party members along. Canonically speaking, we know at least Mimi came along.

Other things too, from what I remember. It's been a while and I feel like playing it again. :)

I don't know though. I got some back log I want to finish too. Grr. I buy too many games!

Vylash

Personally i think Totori is the weakest game for me, I've been trying to get through Totori Plus for some time but it just feels so primitive after playing Meruru and Rorona Plus

Personally i think Totori is the weakest game for me, I've been trying to get through Totori Plus for some time but it just feels so primitive after playing Meruru and Rorona Plus

Yeah, at its core, Meruru (haven't played Rorona Plus) and future entries definitely improved on the battle system, mission alerts, accomplishments, and other areas.

But Totori remains a favorite of mine because I like how several areas opened up based on Adventure Rank and the time limit felt a bit more tight for me during the second half of the game trying to flag endings, and how all the systems just worked together to make me feel the need to be on my toes.

I also liked the story the best. Got to see a friendship start from its origins (Totori and Mimi) with that one scene on the ship sealing their friendship, and I felt bad when Totori
found her mother's grave in the hidden village. I think Totori was the only one in Alanya who believed her mother was still alive. I got the feelz when she broke down. True ending kinda spoils this a little though. But I still haven't watched true end (I just know the details). Bloody Spring Cup trick froze my game and I didn't save in a while. I never bothered trying to make back all that money. Got all the character endings, though. I recall liking Melia's ending in particular

I do think the game (all of them, actually) has way too many mediocre event scenes/skits interrupting my playing, though. Oh well...

ohlawd

I'd get that Trilogy just for collection purposes. Will never open it. But if the trophy sets are different, that's a different story altogether.

If the trilogy release does happen and it's based off the Plus versions, then the tech performance better be up to par. The Vita versions run like fucking ass. I hated playing them.

Vylash

I'd get that Trilogy just for collection purposes. Will never open it. But if the trophy sets are different, that's a different story altogether.

If the trilogy release does happen and it's based off the Plus versions, then the tech performance better be up to par. The Vita versions run like fucking ass. I hated playing them.

i hope the trophy sets are different just so i can have 3 separate versions of Meruru on my trophy list

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Clicking on the plus revealed that it's a NISA rating, so it's probably... the original Rorona and the other two re-released.

Aexact

Started Escha and Logy and just started really figuring out how the alchemy system works. Actually, the time limit feels pretty strict! If I want to complete all the assignments of the period and keep my alchemy up to date (synth everything at least once).

But the interactivity of modifying those element bars to change the quantity, quality, and days to synth is a lot of fun, once I figured out what they meant. Figuring out what the properties actually did was always a little abstract in these alchemy games but some of the clumsiness of the localization is a bit of a downer on top of that. Just had to synth an item with Falling Stars and the assignment said Meteor. Nothing a bit of save scumming doesn't resolve at least. Anyway, the flexibility and ability to freely move properties around feels delightfully open and complex. It's exciting to unlock new attributes.

I dunno if it's the localization that's doing it either but the cast seems a lot more sedate compared to Ayesha (and the PS2 ones I've played). Which might be workable if there was a meatier personal stake or goal in the background but instead we currently have some bureaucratic "explore the ruins before Central City goons do so Marion errr the Colseit R&D can take the credit." How toothless is that, Linca was right, the ruins are getting explored either way. I guess it's a more traditional Atelier alchemy shop goal but I'm used the games having something more dramatic going on.

Escha is really in the mold of Ayesha and I presume other Atelier girls in that she's sweet, optimistic, and kinda a spaz. It's kinda uh ... eerie how similar it is? I dunno, nothing about her stands out except she has the dumbest hat. The rest of the characters aren't doing much for me but I'm warming to Awin after unlocking some of his events so maybe I just need to get more events with everyone. So far, I've had short character skits that I don't think are going anywhere and are just an exhibition of the character's designated quirk. Lucille is forgetful, Threia is a workaholic, Reyfer is a cheapskate, Wilbell is the worst kept secret. I do like Katla's attempts to scam the party followed up with scenes of her getting scammed. It's kinda meanspirited, as the game says, to gloat over getting the better of a small child but she was totally asking for it.

The real star is the battle system though. It's really Mana Khemia in the six party support defense and attack and shared super bar. Even better, synthing all those super bombs and equipment early on and you can still find challenge because of the search events every time you go gather materials. There's always strong monsters available and you get better drops and more EXP for facing them. So you have a more active battle system and you have things worth fighting. I know it's an alchemy game first but the focus on the battle system is really appealing to me and the new item system makes me extremely liberal on using items too. They replenish my stock when I go back to town? Well, I'll throw bombs all day then.

Started Escha and Logy and just started really figuring out how the alchemy system works. Actually, the time limit feels pretty strict! If I want to complete all the assignments of the period and keep my alchemy up to date (synth everything at least once).

But the interactivity of modifying those element bars to change the quantity, quality, and days to synth is a lot of fun, once I figured out what they meant. Figuring out what the properties actually did was always a little abstract in these alchemy games but some of the clumsiness of the localization is a bit of a downer on top of that. Just had to synth an item with Falling Stars and the assignment said Meteor. Nothing a bit of save scumming doesn't resolve at least. Anyway, the flexibility and ability to freely move properties around feels delightfully open and complex, exciting to unlock new attributes.

I dunno if it's the localization that's doing it either but the cast seems a lot more sedate compared to Ayesha (and the PS2 ones I've played). Which might be workable if there was a meatier personal stake or goal in the background but instead we currently have some bureaucratic "explore the ruins before Central City goons do or Marion errr the Colseit R&D can take the credit." How toothless is that, Linca was right, the ruins are getting explored either way. I guess it's a more traditional Atelier alchemy shop goal but I'm used the games having something more dramatic going on.

Escha is really in the mold of Ayesha and I presume other Atelier girls in that she's sweet, optimistic, and kinda a spaz. It's kinda of uh ... eerie how similar it is? I dunno, nothing about her stands out except she has the dumbest hat. The rest of the characters aren't doing much for me but I'm warming to Awin after unlocking some of his events so maybe I just need to get more events with everyone. So far, I've had short character skits that I don't think are going anywhere and are just an exhibition of the character's designated quirk. Lucille is forgetful, Threia is a workaholic, Reyfer is a cheapskate, Wilbell is the worst kept secret. I do like Katla's attempts to scam the party followed up with scenes of her getting scammed, it's kinda meanspirited as the game says to delight over getting the better of a small child but she was totally asking for it.

The real star is the battle system though. It's really Mana Khemia in the six party support defense and attack and shared super bar. Even better, synthing all those super bombs and equipment early on and you can still find challenge because of the search events every time you go gather materials. There's always strong monsters available and you get better drops and more EXP for facing them. So you have a more active battle system and you have things worth fighting. I know it's an alchemy game first but the focus on the battle system is really appealing to me and the new item system makes me extremely liberal on using items too. They replenish my stock when I go back to town? Well, I'll throw bombs all day then.

Nice impressions! :)

I felt the same things about the game as you did.

Wooo! Oh yeah!

Localization looks fine from those shots ("picking up trash for almost no cash" lol). Won't know for sure until we get it though.

Only voice I recognized was Johnny Yong Bosch for Kortes. Everyone sounds fine.

I can't wait! :D

Also, should their be a thread on the gaming forum for the first English trailer?

edit: Oh yeah, end of the trailer say's "Dusk World Finale." Guess this could be it. I won't really believe it until March, assuming Gust will reveal the next Atelier on that month next year, as they have with every other Atelier before.

Edit 2: So yeah, I decided to make a thread for the trailer.

ohlawd

after wasting all that goddamn money on some of the utter shit NISA localized (and hopefully they feel bad about it) this whole year, I'm putting down money on what I know will turn out to be good

I feel alive

redhairedking

I'm hoping for a new IP but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like "remastering" a couple old Atelier games or Ar Tonelico. It would be an easy cash grab after Shallie's lackluster sales.

Top Bottom