• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Sora_N

The "Adventurer Experience" is probably the License points. Make sure you do as many of those as you can because it's kinda important for ending progress.

Gerhard and Filly's quest don't matter for endings much at all (except maybe that one event CG with Tiffani and Filly), though doing them do give you some license points.

Thanks!

I'd like the Vita ports more if their performance wasn't trash and the text not meant to be read by ants.

I'm so jelly :(

Even I feel that awful performance when I step in Gerhard's bar lol or after each battle

Rarutos

Well, the Alchemy is a lot harder in this game. It's hard to explain though. Basically, due to the lack of a time-limit, they made some changes to keep it balanced. Some guy on gamefaqs typed up a pretty good explanation on how the new systems work. I'm too lazy to link to it and I'm sure you and others would prefer to figure it out next year anyway. Alchemy is still REALLY addicting. I've spent so much hours playing with weapons and stuff.

To me though, it sounds like you're biggest concern is about the characters. I can say the story is a lot more lively right from the beginning compared to Escha and Lodgy. I'm sure Stuart will back up that claim when he gets his copy. Don't need to know any Japanese to see that. ;)

I don't know enough Japanese to follow the conversations well, so a lot of my impressions of the characters so far have been partially influenced by my imagination or what I think they're saying. That said, I think the cast are more interesting, and well diverse compared to Escha.

I think Homura, for example, already stands out just by being an homonculus wielding a sword and doing cool things in battle. His dialogue is written completely in hiragana and his speech is often casual, if I remember correctly. I get a cute and 'hip' impression from him even though the only thing I really know about him is that he's a treasure hunter and the girls think he's cute.

Linca isn't fighting anymore so... yeah. She's learned to be a lady.

Calm your worries. I can't guarantee, but I feel confidant you'll enjoy Shallie better than Escha come next year. :)
Goodness, I hope you're right! It did bother me that it was super easy though, but if you say the alchemy system is difficult then that gives me some hope. I'm pretty sure that Linca
isn't quite Linca so it makes some sense as to why she's not fighting or with Marion.

It is a little disappointing that #8 isn't back though, since I wanted to see her story wrap up, but I guess I can't really say that her story doesn't wrap up since there is a Linca present.

Homura is definitely the most interesting new character, so I do look forward to seeing him! And I do like the character designs more overall in this one. Though it's a bit disappointing that most of the returning characters haven't really changed all that much aside from Wilbell, considering how radically the characters changed when they reappeared in Arland. Maybe it's because Hidari isn't doing art for everyone again, who knows?

Thanks for your impressions, as always! Kinda glad we get it a while after the Japanese version so that all of those bugs can be fixed before we get it. ;)

Stuart444

Ok so if all goes well, I should get the game tomorrow morning. Paid custom charges and since I was at it, paid extra for Saturday delivery.

I probably won't post anything about it until sometime tomorrow afternoon/night. (Staying up all night since I think if I go to sleep, I'll sleep past the courier - damn messed up sleeping pattern)

Still happy I'll be getting it soon. I've on purposely avoided all streams/videos on it outside of official media just so I can be relatively fresh when I play it. :D

Stuart444

So like I said, pics of what I got today. (only a select few, since I took quite a few lol):

ibeyovpWExcOk0.jpg

Atelier Shallie and Atelier Escha & Logy vol 1 next to each other, fresh out the shipping box lol.

Inside the Premium box

The game and the CDs cases

The CDs all out next to each other :D

And finally, inside the Shallie game box. :D

I'll give some impressions in about 8 - 9 hours or so. Going to sleep now since I've been up all night and I need some sleep.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So like I said, pics of what I got today. (only a select few, since I took quite a few lol):

Atelier Shallie and Atelier Escha & Logy vol 1 next to each other, fresh out the shipping box lol.

Inside the Premium box

I'll give some impressions in about 8 - 9 hours or so. Going to sleep now since I've been up all night and I need some sleep.

IT'S GLORIOUS!!! :D

redhairedking

Inside the Premium box

I am so jealous

Stuart444

I haven't had much of a chance to play Shallie, too tired mostly from not getting to sleep til the afternoon and waking up a few hours later...

I did copy all the tracks to my PC/itunes though. The music is great, plenty of tracks from games I haven't played. The BGM CD is great too.

Also the DLC that came with Shallie was the BGM DLC. I quickly checked out the start of Shallie to check it out. I think it's basically the music from every Atelier game (or near every game?)

Some great tracks, I love Altair from Ayesha and was tempted to set the Atelier music to Altair.

I'll also say, the IQ/graphical quality is pretty nice, another small but (imo) noticeable upgrade from Escha & Logy

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I haven't had much of a chance to play Shallie, too tired mostly from not getting to sleep til the afternoon and waking up a few hours later...

I did copy all the tracks to my PC/itunes though. The music is great, plenty of tracks from games I haven't played. The BGM CD is great too.

Also the DLC that came with Shallie was the BGM DLC. I quickly checked out the start of Shallie to check it out. I think it's basically the music from every Atelier game (or near every game?)

Some great tracks, I love Altair from Ayesha and was tempted to set the Atelier music to Altair.

I'll also say, the IQ/graphical quality is pretty nice, another small but (imo) noticeable upgrade from Escha & Logy

Sounds great! :D

redhairedking

I'm curious to hear what you think of the battle and alchemy system. I know a guy who imported and has beaten Shallie and he thinks it is a big step in the wrong direction, but I'm interested in a second opinion.

ohlawd

I'll probably warm up to the new mechanics. I don't mind if everything stayed the same. Not very into the whole "hurr durr gotta change shit to innovate" philosophy GAF likes to employ.

Tales of would be my fave series but errtime man, errtime.

I beat Atelier Shallie last Saturday. Great game!

I know some Japanese Atelier fans are divided on certain aspects, but whatever. I loved the battle system and the alchemy. There is some balance issues I've read after I beat it, but I never abused them. I never had Shallote in my party and aside from making a uber weapon for Keith, everyone else was pretty tame. Final boss gave me some trouble at first, but for some reason I killed him in one burst during my last try. Hmm....

Game is pretty easy for the most part. Even on hardcore mode, once the six party members are in, you won't have too much trouble, save for maybe a story boss or two that you might want to be well prep'd for, and the optional bosses.

Beating the game unlocks an even HARDER difficulty level. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how that is.

I got two endings for Shallistera. I watched one, but still haven't gone back to the game to see the other yet. I don't know how much there is supposed to be.

I replayed Ayesha afterwards (Japanese copy) because I apparently missed some spoilers. I also missed a perverted scene in that salt area.
why on earth did Ayesha and Tanya have to get naked and jump in that spring for?
Geez Gust, who gets a hard-on for these scenes?

Anyway, sales are on the decline for this series and the director implies there might yet still be another Dusk game to come. What should Gust do?

And personally, I kinda want them to go back to the single heroine thing. Just like in Escha and Logy, at a certain point in the game, the Shallies are glued together starring in almost every event/scene/skit together and I don't like it. :p

Oh yeah, and I gotta mention this. The new guy on the Gust sound team, Asano Hayato, is pretty awesome. He did almost all my favorite tracks in this game (he composed around 18 tracks for the game). You can hear two of his songs on the official website. He did the first track on there and one other battle theme with flutes, guitar, and some brass.

The first game at Gust he's worked on is Escha and Lodgy. I guess I should get around to finishing that game sometime.

Just posted this in the original Japanese Media Create numbers thread, but this is where the Atelier fans are so I'll repost the numbers and my thoughts here.

The numbers are from December 31st, 2012 to December 29th, 2013.

118. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky # <RPG> (Gust) {2013.06.27} (¥7.140) - 83.673 / 83.673

180. [PSV] Atelier Meruru Plus: The Apprentice of Arland # <RPG> (Gust) {2013.03.20} (¥6.090) - 50.643 / 50.643

273. [PSV] New Atelier Rorona: Hajimari no Monogatari - The Alchemist of Arland # <RPG> (Gust) {2013.11.21} (¥6.090) - 28.634 / 28.634

306. [PSV] Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland # <RPG> (Gust) {2012.11.29} (¥6.090) - 22.534 / 68.514

326. [PS3] New Atelier Rorona: Hajimari no Monogatari - The Alchemist of Arland # <RPG> (Gust) {2013.11.21} (¥7.140) - 20.761 / 20.761

759. [PS3] Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint) <RPG> (Gust) {2012.05.31} (¥2.940) - 4.393 / 11.842

841. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint) <RPG> (Gust) {2012.05.31} (¥2.940) - 3.549 / 10.057

878. [PS3] Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk (Gust Best Price) <RPG> (Gust) {2013.05.23} (¥3.990) - 3.191 / 3.191

921. [PS3] Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (PlayStation 3 the Best) <RPG> (Gust) {2012.05.31} (¥3.990) - 2.798 / 12.856

Escha and Logy might barely break 100k with the budget reprint this year and a plus version later, if its lucky. Around 60 bucks for the Plus versions and Totori particularly had hardly anything new added to it... Yeah, Gust will keep making these.

Ayesha was the most recent reprint on this list and it got beat out by the year older Totori and Rorona. Meruru best selling budget reprint. Totori best selling Vita port. Meruru probably sold over 200k if you account for everything (original release, budget reprint, and Vita port).

Ayesha Vita port came out this year and it will be the worst selling of the Vita ports, selling less than half of what Totori/Meruru did in its first week.

The Arland games are clearly more popular and well liked over the Dusk titles.

The director for the games, in a recent interview, implied that they might still make another Dusk game, after the recently released Shallie, depending on Japanese feedback. I don't know if he was talking sales numbers, twitter opinions, or a combination of both. Adding everything together (budget reprints and Vita ports) I expect Atelier Shallie to be the worst selling atelier game of the PS3 era. That is unless we don't count New Rorona Vita as part of that game's final tally since the title is more of a remake with redone graphics and gameplay systems.

Link to the interview: http://gamingeverything.com/gust-sa...the-dusk-series-interested-in-newer-consoles/

Stuart444

The Arland games are clearly more popular and well liked over the Dusk titles.

Which is rather sad because the Dusk titles are so good. Art style is fantastic, story is good, music is better than anything in the Arland series. Battle and Alchemy systems are good and enjoyable.

Though we don't have western sales numbers but I thought KT implied that the recent titles since Escha have actually gone up in sales so the dusk games might still be doing good for Gust even if the Japanese sales figures aren't the greatest?

But oh well, I'll take whatever Atelier they want to give me :D

Though we don't have western sales numbers but I thought KT implied that the recent titles since Escha have actually gone up in sales so the dusk games might still be doing good for Gust even if the Japanese sales figures aren't the greatest?

Yeah:

bahnbhaotalking said:
about Atelier Escha&Logy, did it sell well in the west?

koei tecmo said:
Yes, better than previous Atelier series.

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/446252657792286720

Not completely sure what "previous Atelier series" could be referring to, but I get the impression it did well enough for KT to keep bringing Gust games over, at least. :)

Also note worthy is that KT and Gust will merge on October 1st. I believe this means the Gust name as a seperate entity will be dissolved and they'll simply be another development group within Koei Tecmo.

Since KT is international, good western sales could maybe have more influence on Gust games than when the titles were licensed to NISA. So if Escha and Lodgy is doing better than past titles, and Shallie builds on that, than the Dusk games wouldn't simply be a sales story of decline.

I get the feeling that little Totori Plus incident two years back has helped give the series a little more attention in the west and that may have helped Escha&Logy. :)

Hopefully Shallie does well next year.

ohlawd

I don't like seeing this divide lol

one series has its alchemy system nailed pat. lighthearted fun with its characters. Totori's story is kinda depressing when starting out.

the other series has one game with asstastic alchemy and the sequel is good but not enough to make up for its predecessor. also has done the impossible; stories so eyerollworthy it makes Tales of...'s stories look like national darlings

Vylash

I don't like seeing this divide lol

one series has its alchemy system nailed pat. lighthearted fun with its characters. Totori's story is kinda depressing when starting out.

the other series has one game with asstastic alchemy and the sequel is good but not enough to make up for its predecessor. also has done the impossible; stories so eyerollworthy it makes Tales of...'s stories look like national darlings

don't forget the sleep inducing cast

Arthea

I finished Atelier Escha & Logy, platinumed too, as usual.
Now lemme get this of my chest firstly
WHERE THE HELL IS GHOST OF PAMELA? Ghosts don't die, don't do this to me Gust, please!

Now when we are done with that onto a game itself.

It was a nice game, much better than Ayesha, for me. Not only we have two protagonists again, they let me use alchemy to my hearts contents, during two playthroughs and plenty of time, I finally could make everything I wanted, how I wanted and experiment a lot too. That was nice. Also I like how well balanced the game is, I struggled with some bosses a lot during first playthrough, and I haven't killed a lot of optional ones during it either, but after I crafted good equipment and some items, I had my revenge during second run and killed strong monster all game long. That's how it is supposed to be... Only downside to it is that drops from strong monsters are more or less meaningless during second game.

I still miss diversity of ways to collect items, but adventuring equipment partly made up for it this time. I don't particularly like bland look of environments too, most locations look boring, and I wanted cheerful and colourful locations we used to have.

Story is just there, nothing special about it, characters were fine too, unlike in Ayesha, I didn't hate dialogue too.

One thing that bothered me all the time, was strangely non descriptive descriptions of properties, there are so many properties in this game and some of them are very similar. I imagine something was lost in translation here, most likely. Other than that, I liked my time with Escha & Logy.

Now lemme hold on hope that Shallie is even better!
and how can it not be if fishing is back (><)

TRI Mike

So I suppose there's gonna be a fourth Dusk game¿ I dunno what the plot in Shallie is all about but if Wilbell manages to make a contract with a water lord in Shallie, she'd still have to fight an Earth one to become a great witch. Also, the scenes where Ayesha and Logy appear make it seem like the story is far from over and there's gonna be another game to wrap things up, save the Dusk world and bring all major characters together.

Vylash

So I suppose there's gonna be a fourth Dusk game¿ I dunno what the plot in Shallie is all about but if Wilbell manages to make a contract with a water lord in Shallie, she'd still have to fight an Earth one to become a great witch. Also, the scenes where Ayesha and Logy appear make it seem like the story is far from over and there's gonna be another game to wrap things up, save the Dusk world and bring all major characters together.
gross

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Any updates on Shallie localization? I totally forgot about it.

redhairedking

Mana Khemia HD Collection imminent!
It's definitely Ayesha+
It would be very interesting to see actual sales numbers of the Atelier games in the west. I don't have a single clue as to how much they actually sell.

I would love Mana Khemia HD, but yeah it's definitely Ayesha+. Hopefully it'll be physical

Arthea

Mana Khemia HD Collection imminent!
It's definitely Ayesha+
It would be very interesting to see actual sales numbers of the Atelier games in the west. I don't have a single clue as to how much they actually sell.

why you so mean? (><)
I'd so buy that and play again and again and again.

I'm not sure about modern numbers but I vaguely remember sales for Atelier games being around 200K, I mean surprisingly small, I think they did much better than that last gen though.

it's gonna be nothing

it'll be Ayesha+

that also counts as nothing

agreed on that

Christhor

I'm not sure about modern numbers but I vaguely remember sales for Atelier games being around 200K, I mean surprisingly small, I think they did much better than that last gen though.

In the west or worldwide? I highly doubt these titles would sell that much in the west.

There's a pretty good Ayesha figure coming from Good Smile Company

10d22602010a80d143244719c45a25e4.jpg

That's actually a really great figure. Ayesha is probably my least favourite PS3 protag, but her design is great. Shame I don't like figures.

Christhor

Meruru should have done like 2 mill in Japan and 4 mill in the west

our planet sux.

NISA should have marketed the whole "town management" aspect more, that might have gotten some people interested in the game. Even if the town management was very superficial.

Arthea

In the west or worldwide? I highly doubt these titles would sell that much in the west.

That's actually a really great figure. Ayesha is probably my least favourite PS3 protag, but her design is great. Shame I don't like figures.

That was worldwide. I remember reading that Totori was 400 or 500K ww, though, can't remember where, but very likely here on gaf, lemme check maybe I'll find it.

Ya, not a fan of Ayesha to put it mildly too.

edited: I found it and it was siliconera article about Arland trilogy sales... not Totori
So it's much worse than I though, it's not even 200k for one game, it's closer to 100K actually.
Sorry about that.
A pity really...

Christhor

That was worldwide. I remember reading that Totori was 400 or 500K ww, though, can't remember where, but very likely here on gaf, lemme check maybe I'll find it.

Ya, not a fan of Ayesha to put it mildly too.

edited: I found it and it was siliconera article about Arland trilogy sales... not Totori
So it's much worse than I though, it's not even 200k for one game, it's closer to 100K actually.
Sorry about that.
A pity really...

400-500k for Atelier Totori is incredible but I'm having a hard time believing that.

I would not be too surprised if Totori is close to 300k in sales. The original release was pretty popular in Japan, the Vita port was the most successful port, the re releases and what not. The Vita port also seems surprisingly popular among the starving Vita owners. Totori is probably way more successful than any other modern Atelier title overall. Shame that it's my least favourite of the PS3 titles.

redhairedking

I would not be too surprised if Totori is close to 300k in sales. The original release was pretty popular in Japan, the Vita port was the most successful port, the re releases and what not. The Vita port also seems surprisingly popular among the starving Vita owners. Totori is probably way more successful than any other modern Atelier title overall. Shame that it's my least favourite of the PS3 titles.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Totori personally, but I can definitely see the 300k.

Top Bottom