• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is it true they removed the time / day limit in Shallie? Is it like a regular RPG now?

Vylash

It's not like Escha & Logy had a meaningful time mechanic either. Other than forcing you to waste time every now and then so you could progress the game.

I loved it during my first playthrough, but the second time around really showed me how flawed everything is, i was left with way too much free time, killing monsters and synthesizing wasn't doing anything for me, and finishing the stamp card barely took any time at all so i just ended up sleeping the time away, the time system was so pathetic in Escha that I guess they stopped pretending that time mattered anymore. Arland pls come back

I loved it during my first playthrough, but the second time around really showed me how flawed everything is, i was left with way too much free time, killing monsters and synthesizing wasn't doing anything for me, and finishing the stamp card barely took any time at all so i just ended up sleeping the time away, the time system was so pathetic in Escha that I guess they stopped pretending that time mattered anymore. Arland pls come back

I recently played Rorona Plus and it struck me how stressful the time limit was and how much I missed it. And Rorona Plus had alot less strict time management than regular Rorona (Rorona Minus?).

Arthea

I still prefer Mana Khemia way, time management is nice and good, but when it goes against thoroughly exploring alchemy, I'd rather do without it.
Then again I still adore Eternal Mana, and see time management as unnecessary thing that replaced things I really liked in series. Not that I don't like them now, but still.

Christhor

It's my favorite PS3 Atelier game, though opinions on it are oddly divisive.

It is honestly my favourite too. I liked every character outside of Ayesha herself, the soundtrack was great and it had some very good world building. Shame that Escha & Logy never did anything with that world building though, or even expaned on it outside of Awin's story. The final dungeon and final boss had really great atmosphere too.

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/520508914480459776

Ayesha+ confirmed, with dual audio. I'm surprised they actually got dual audio for the port. So how do most people rate Ayesha?

It was a great game. I loved the atmosphere, the music, the areas, and even some boss fights. Downsides: Some dialogue was poorly written. And I was a tad disappointed with the English dub, namely with the one who talked the most, Ayesha, so I'm curious to put dual audio to work, even though I'm not a fan of Japanese voice over with English text in video games where you push a button to advance the text.

I can't follow the voice at all unless it's a very short sentence. Either that or I'll finish reading the sentence and waiting for the voice to catch up. It feels awkward.

Christhor

If it isn't Meruru ohlawd hates it. >>; I can see where he's coming from, but I like that the Atelier series isn't copy/paste with each installment.

That's one of the better aspects of the series to me too. That being said, Meruru is definitely my favourite after Ayesha. And if we're looking purely at gameplay/fun factor, it would definitely be my favourite. It's a ton of fun, but the cast and some of the story elements really drags it down. Namely
everything related to Rorona before the Plus version came out.

belforrrr

Neo Member
Dusk Trilogy from best to worst. Ayesha >>>> Escha/Logy >>> Shallie.

Ayesha had great ost, somewhat adequate story, lovable characters and relatively good dungeon layouts.

Escha/Logy had subpar ost (only liked maybe 5 or 6 songs overall), the story was nothing special and did nothing to expand on the universe. Characters were so-so and dungeon layouts were worse than Ayesha. At least it added a bunch of interesting gameplay elements.

And Shallie is even worse. The ost is on par with E/L, the stories of both characters are boring as hell, no time restraints was actually a bad idea cause you'll need to do a ton of dumb uninteresting quests to advance through the story (quest management system is also a chore for the most part), bland characters and dungeon designs (for the most part). And most importantly
no adequate conclusion to the trilogy, it just ends... that's it.

All games have great character designs (Hidari <3) and alchemy system that gets progressively complicated with each entry (Ayesha was pretty good, E/L nailed it and Shallie added nothing of importance iirc - didn't get what elemental chains do tho.)

ohlawd

If it isn't Meruru ohlawd hates it. >>; I can see where he's coming from, but I like that the Atelier series isn't copy/paste with each installment.

heeeeey that ain't true. I like Ayesha even if it's the worst <_<

The alchemy system really blows. And that's enough for me to bump it down low. And it didn't have much content (I remember feeling like that when I plat it) and yeah Meruru was the last game before it and that game did a lot of things right. So to go from that perfection to... Ayesha, well, you're left with a disappointed ohlawd.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
heeeeey that ain't true. I like Ayesha even if it's the worst <_<

The alchemy system really blows. And that's enough for me to bump it down low. And it didn't have much content (I remember feeling like that when I plat it) and yeah Meruru was the last game before it and that game did a lot of things right. So to go from that perfection to... Ayesha, well, you're left with a disappointed ohlawd.

I can see where you're coming from, but I also like some of the changes to Alchemy the Dusk series has brought. Much easier to work with traits now that they're not randomized.

ohlawd

I can see where you're coming from, but I also like some of the changes to Alchemy the Dusk series has brought. Much easier to work with traits now that they're not randomized.

I.... I liked how the traits were random. Should I feel bad? lols

Good news is that EL brought some good changes to Ayesha's alchemy so I like it again. And when I follow what belforrrr said, Shallie's alchemy is the same as EL's so that's good for me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I.... I liked how the traits were random. Should I feel bad? lols

Good news is that EL brought some good changes to Ayesha's alchemy so I like it again. And when I follow what belforrrr said, Shallie's alchemy is the same as EL's so that's good for me.

Not wrong. Just a different preference. :)

I also really prefer the changes to the ending structure. No more 15 save-file playthroughs. XD

Shallie's alchemy is the same as EL's so that's good for me.

Eh, maybe to some degree you can say its similar or inspired from EL, but I wouldn't agree with it being the same or featuring nothing new that's noteworthy. Right away, you're going to notice your Alchemy Lvl will restrict you from using certain materials or a certain combination of materials. That will, in turn, make it much harder to max out bombs, equipment, and heal items early on until you level up your Alchemy lvl.

Since there is no time limit, you can spend all day just leveling up your Alchemy lvl, but it'll take you forever.

There's also the fact that the order of your materials you use before synthesis will play a role in what skills you can use, etc.

I'm not good with explaining game systems so I'm going to copy and paste this post from themasterllworks from Gamefaqs:

themasterllworks said:
After playing for a long long time now and nearly mastered the alchemy portion (kind of)... I wanted to give my thoughts in case anyone was curious to read about it...

{ALCHEMY}
Due to the removal of the time limit, there have to be a way to balanced how Alchemy and creation is done. This is balance is done with one barrier which greatly affects two key component in alchemy:

Alchemy Level
- Affecting Materials Used
- Preparation Skills

{Materials Used}
Each material has its own item level, if the total materials used for that creation exceed your Alchemy Level, you can not make the item due to "Overcost".

Since generally the higher level materials have more Prep Skill Slots and higher Elemental Count, it makes it much harder to get the huge base element count to gain the Elemental Effects for that item.

This then links to the other situation...

{Preparation Skills}
This is the key ability to get the high element count for the Elemental Effects, quality, Usage and Compress/Expand Frame.

Obviously, at lower level, you won't have much access to many skills but also there are many that will be costly (takes 2 slots). Over time as you level up, you will gain access to more Prep Skills (like "Level Down" to fix that "Overcost" situation), Prep Skills will also get more powerful (may increase element by 12 instead of 6) and reduce slot usage (from 2 slot to 1).

{Overall}
Alchemy is NOT easy in this game compared to the previous Atelier series (Arland, Ayesha and Eschatology) in terms of making the "best full potential" healing/bombs in early game (excluding Traits).

I have still yet to be able to make a max ICE BOMB (starting ice bomb.. yes.. and I'm on Chapter 5.. halfway done with game) due to the fact trying to max Water/Wind Effect both exceed my Alchemy Level and I don't have the materials that has a lot of Prep Slots to max the Effects.

BUT, in saying so, this also shows how much higher the potential in alchemy with the new system for end-game, possibility even better than what the previous series is (maybe better than Eschatology easy-max-mode for end game).

This is because of the insane of Prep Skills that can take advantage of pretty much almost everything from Element, Effects and more.

Plus the fact with extra stuff like the "Neutralizer -> Plant Oil -> Zettel -> Honey -> Neutralizer" loop and "Miruca's Disassemble" allows you to EASILY carry over almost ANY traits to anything you want makes alchemy a cinch.

If I need to upgrade anything any one trait, it'll be a cinch to pull off since you have unlimited days and you already have the layout plan to do it. For example...

LL's Healing Book (aka, "MiniElixir", aka2 "Immortal Love Shallistera")
Frame: 1
Usage: 5
Effect: Gives Large HP/MP back
Trait: AutoUse 20%, Conservation (30% chance not to consume usage), AutoRevive (revive once when dead)

I can easily upgrade the AutoUse or Conservation anytime due to Miruca and the Loop easily without any headaches lol. Can't wait for "Auto 50%" and "Unlimited" trait.. lol.

So yea, it sucks even at Lv55+ Alchemy, Lv45 Adventure Level, Chapter 05 (halfway through the game), I cant even max a simple Ice Bomb still...

... but once I level up my Alchemy Level even more (plus find better materials), the possibilities I already see (but unable to preform due to low level) is immense.

Those who saw my stream last few days, I'm sure you saw that potential of alchemy in this game.

As of that post this guy hadn't even unlocked elemental chaining yet, which is necessary for building your item quality to the max level, which is 999. A high item quality level will affect an items basic parameters or something.

Building a good chain is very fun and satisfying, imo.

Even on the hardest difficulty you get from the start, the game is pretty easy, so most of cool stuff is best for bonus bosses and/or the difficulty level you unlock after you beat the game once (I haven't played this mode yet).

Since the story isn't all that hard to get through, you can probably throw anything into the cauldron, poop out an item, and get through the game okay. Well, actually, you might need to put in a little more effort than that, but the point is the story battles is a bit too easy, even on hard mode.

But I think the alchemy is awesome. I'm curious how more people will feel about it.

I also disagree with belforr on the music. I really like the soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCRusG5U52Q&list=PLPlmCTWRwHHff2DFbU2LVGWYGGg8cQgJb&index=17

Beautiful. :D

And if anyone doesn't mind spoilers, here's a vid of MasterLL fighting a tough optional boss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpRrIrWwKs

Awesome music! Awesome fight!

ohlawd

oh shit if they make the superboss a mandatory part of the game and they don't nerf it

it'll be glorious for everyone.

ohlawd

if you are talking about a boss I think you are talking, that would be cruel (><)

now that I think about it, there are two strong bosses; the honeycomb one and the 2nd DLC one.

that'd be great. make them both mandatory in that you can't finish the game without defeating them first.

SoldnerKei

aww shit, all these ports with dem goodies, Ayesha with dual audio sounds like the version I will play, now I need a Vita >.>

Eusis

Does anyone expect any Atelier game not to be localised? It's more likely that the Atelier series dies than the localisations stop happening.
With KT it's in a somewhat more questionable position than ever before, but it seems like it only MILDLY impacts localization chances. Most likely the biggest real differences are that we didn't see physical Vita versions (I think NISA would PROBABLY have bothered) and that we missed LEs compared to before, and that one may well change given Ar Nosurge.

redhairedking

With KT it's in a somewhat more questionable position than ever before, but it seems like it only MILDLY impacts localization chances. Most likely the biggest real differences are that we didn't see physical Vita versions (I think NISA would PROBABLY have bothered) and that we missed LEs compared to before, and that one may well change given Ar Nosurge.

The LEs I can live without but the lack of physical Vita version really bugs me.

Top Bottom