• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky |OT| Just Pretend it's Mana-Khemia 3

Didn't even bother unpacking the other two games, just threw them in the trash.

You didn't actually do that right?

I just play through the games and whatever happens, happens. I thought Totori was better than Meruru. I'm still playing through Ayesha but I think I like it more than Meruru too.

I've been thinking about the amount of hours I'm still going to spend with my PS3 with jrpgs alone and it's pretty crazy... Besides this game (and finishing Ayesha), there's Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Zesteria, FFX/X-2 HD and Persona 5. That's what, 400 hours if you're not going for 100% in these games?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Gonna play for these two best girls.

gyaUYlQ.png

Marion is hnnngtastic. I love her new outfit too. :3

Didn't even bother unpacking the other two games, just threw them in the trash.

Actually in the trash? You could have traded them in!

I'm curious about this game. I've always wanted to play an Atelier game. How long is it? (The shorter the better for me!)

Christhor

ranking contest let's do this

Totori = Meruru > Ayesha > Rorona

It's funny, to me every new entry this gen has been better than the last. I liked both the music and characters in Rorona, but everything else was ass. Totori improved on it a lot, but it felt like you were still doing nothing in the game until the very end. Meruru gave you a set goal from the start, which improved the experience drastically imo and the improved battle system was pretty rocking. Unfortunately almost all of the original characters in Meruru sucked and they even ruined some of the old ones (poor Rorona).

Then I started playing Ayesha and it surprised me how it was a legitimately good game. Up until this point, the series was more of a guilty pleasure to me, but this entry introduced an interesting setting, with some pretty good lore and a decent story. Gave you a purpose from the start (although it doesn't have complete focus for the first half) and had an excellent soundtrack. It was the first entry in the series I've actively recommended to friends, almost all of them whom liked it.

So tl;dr Ayesha > Meruru > Totori > Rorona.
From the looks of things, Escha & Logy will definitely be on the top of that list too, I'm quite excite.

Fangrim

You didn't actually do that right?

I just play through the games and whatever happens, happens. I thought Totori was better than Meruru. I'm still playing through Ayesha but I think I like it more than Meruru too.

I've been thinking about the amount of hours I'm still going to spend with my PS3 with jrpgs alone and it's pretty crazy... Besides this game (and finishing Ayesha), there's Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Zesteria, FFX/X-2 HD and Persona 5. That's what, 400 hours if you're not going for 100% in these games?

Yes I did. I was just so bummed out after Rorona, that I said "fuck it - never touching this series again!"

Edit: FFX was also the only games of the FF series (Playstation Era - ie. VII, VIII, IX, X, XII and XIII) that I haven't played to death - I'm definitely going to give the HD remake a go. I started on FFX when it was released, but I never really got into it.

This time around, I got the trophies to go for, and also to alleviate my bad conscience for never finishing it in the first place.

Fangrim

Hummm... I think I'll give Eshca & Logy a go when the price drops.

I never played any of the Tales series (Yes I know - BAD Fangrim) - might give those a go too.

Yes I did. I was just so bummed out after Rorona, that I said "fuck it - never touching this series again!"

Edit: FFX was also the only games of the FF series (Playstation Era - ie. VII, VIII, IX, X, XII and XIII) that I haven't played to death - I'm definitely going to give the HD remake a go. I started on FFX when it was released, but I never really got into it.

This time around, I got the trophies to go for, and also to alleviate my bad conscience for never finishing it in the first place.

Damn dude, you could've traded them in, sold them or hell, just given them away.
Totori is so much better than Rorona it's not even funny but I guess that if your problem is ocd you'd still get frustrated.

Fangrim

Damn dude, you could've traded them in, sold them or hell, just given them away.
Totori is so much better than Rorona it's not even funny but I guess that if your problem is ocd you'd still get frustrated.

I gave all my other (about 50) PS3 games away about a month before, then I got these 3 - and the guy who got my games didn't want them. Couldn't be bothered to put them up for sale, so in the bin they went ;o)

I've regretted it since though, but hey - gotta move forward ;o)

I don't have OCD, but I just can't cope with the mechanics in Rorona. Having to go to the quest lady, then back to craft, then back to her, having to micromanage my tasks and farming the necessary ingredients of the right quality.

It's been about 6 months since I touched the game, so my memory is a bit vague.

I gave all my other (about 50) PS3 games away about a month before, then I got these 3 - and the guy who got my games didn't want them. Couldn't be bothered to put them up for sale, so in the bin they went ;o)

I've regretted it since though, but hey - gotta move forward ;o)

I don't have OCD, but I just can't cope with the mechanics in Rorona. Having to go to the quest lady, then back to craft, then back to her, having to micromanage my tasks and farming the necessary ingredients of the right quality.

It's been about 6 months since I touched the game, so my memory is a bit vague.

Plenty of other people have said it already, but fact of the matter is that Rorona really sucks. The game looks cheaply made (they ALL look sorta cheap, but Rorona was the worst), the combat was bare bones and there were some ridiculously strict requirements for meeting most of the events and ending flags. Not to mention the most tedious quest system ever, as you noticed. At least in the later Arland games your party members come to you and not vice versa for fulfilling the requests.

If you ever try Escha or another Atelier game, I suggest you try to play through without a guide, or rather only consult a guide for references on ending flags and whatnot. The time management for most of the later Atelier games is surprisingly lenient (nothing like trying to get all SLs in Persona, for example), and a big chunk of the gameplay is planning your time properly and minimizing wasted time. Granted if you hate the time limit there's little reason to recommend the Atelier series, but I think the time limit makes EVERY action you do feel like it has weight and significance, which isn't something I can say for many other RPGs.

Having to go to the quest lady, then back to craft, then back to her, having to micromanage my tasks and farming the necessary ingredients of the right quality.

That's what these games are about though, you should forget about them and move on. It's like complaining that you need to shoot things in a shooter.

Arthea

I was wondering, anybody knows why is it not on PSN? Other Atelier games are.

edited: it seems Meruru is disk only.
But why? I was hoping to buy Escha & Logy on PSN. :(

Arthea

It's not going up on PSN? How long did it take Ayesha to go up? None of the other Atelier PS3 games are available digitally.

Ya, Atelier Ayesha is available digitally, but others are not. Dunno why I assumed that this one will be too.
edited: I think it was up on PSN at release.
edit2: it releases tomorrow? I thought it's today, my bad. (><)
So it still can be available digitally.

Stuart444

Just got the game, too bad I have to head to the hospital first and won't be able to play it for a few hours or so :(.

Installed the game though and watched the op. It's a weird op but nice music.

edit:

So I've started it now and well... the trophies in-game popped up in English (ie "Escha's Journey" was the first one I got) but when I went to view them:

They were in Japanese for some reason.

Christhor

It's a thing that can happen if you don't have your PS3 system language set to English. It's really strange, I know it happened with Ayesha and Catherine for some.

Rarutos

Didn't something like that happen for some people with Ayesha too? I wonder if there's a way to fix it. What was your system language on, Stuaten-san?

Stuart444

It's a thing that can happen if you don't have your PS3 system language set to English. It's really strange, I know it happened with Ayesha and Catherine for some.

Didn't something like that happen for some people with Ayesha too? I wonder if there's a way to fix it. What was your system language on, Stuaten-san?

PS3 lang set to English.

Told them on twitter and they said they have sent a report to their team about it. And yes it didn't happen to Ayesha. I'm not that bothered about it btw, I just thought it was odd.

edit: fun fact: Shows on my facebook page when I synced my trophies in English. How odd.

Rarutos

PS3 lang set to English.

Told them on twitter and they said they have sent a report to their team about it. And yes it didn't happen to Ayesha. I'm not that bothered about it btw, I just thought it was odd.

edit: fun fact: Shows on my facebook page when I synced my trophies in English. How odd.

Odd indeed. I wonder if that's going to happen with mine.

Anywho, since the game is officially out in Europe tomorrow, I assume embargoes will be lifted soon, so if anyone sees any reviews I can add to the OP, let me know!

Christhor

PS3 lang set to English.

UK English or US English? Yes, this might actually make a difference.

And it most definitely happened with Ayesha, as it happened to me.

Anywho, since the game is officially out in Europe tomorrow, I assume embargoes will be lifted soon, so if anyone sees any reviews I can add to the OP, let me know!

There's five, including the one in the OP, reviews on Metacritic. Then there's also this one, which doesn't have a score.

Itsuki

Just got the game, too bad I have to head to the hospital first and won't be able to play it for a few hours or so :(.

Installed the game though and watched the op. It's a weird op but nice music.

edit:

So I've started it now and well... the trophies in-game popped up in English (ie "Escha's Journey" was the first one I got) but when I went to view them:

They were in Japanese for some reason.

To me the trophies in-game popped up in japanese but that could be because my PS3 language is in spanish.

Stuart444

UK English ^

Also someone on twitter just said "mine changed to English" keyword being changed so... maybe it's fixed? idk, I'll have to check later on.

edit: not fixed yet on my side.

Scher

For those who have been getting the game early, have y'all been coming across some issues with how things are translated? I've been hearing that whoever did the translation for the game has done a bit of a... rough job. I've heard that, supposedly, there was an item trait that was translated two different ways, and apparently one of the traits with S/M/L variations had the descriptions mixed up. Is there anyone who can confirm there being issues like this present?

Vylash

For those who have been getting the game early, have y'all been coming across some issues with how things are translated? I've been hearing that whoever did the translation for the game has done a bit of a... rough job. I've heard that, supposedly, there was an item trait that was translated two different ways, and apparently one of the traits with S/M/L variations had the descriptions mixed up. Is there anyone who can confirm there being issues like this present?

There are some typos here and there, but other than that the translation is perfectly fine

Eusis

So the Amazon preorder bonus isn't happening? That sucks.
I'm not sure if support people are the best to confirm for that, it wouldn't surprise me if they went "oh right, here's the DLC code" without ever telling you ahead of time.

But this is something that could go either way as being good or bad: they could just screw everyone out of ever getting the costume DLC, or because it was screwed up just make it free for everyone period. The latter's optimal really, especially given the whole concept is kind of bullshit anyway, at least as a permanent exclusive.

Rarutos

I'm not sure if support people are the best to confirm for that, it wouldn't surprise me if they went "oh right, here's the DLC code" without ever telling you ahead of time.

But this is something that could go either way as being good or bad: they could just screw everyone out of ever getting the costume DLC, or because it was screwed up just make it free for everyone period. The latter's optimal really, especially given the whole concept is kind of bullshit anyway, at least as a permanent exclusive.

Yeah I agree, I've always hated exclusives like this... I actually got another reply from Amazon's support and they pretty much said the same thing as last time.

Hello,

Certainly, we appreciate the time you've taken to bring this into our attention.

I understand your concern regarding the pre-order bonus offer for the "Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky - PlayStation 3" from your order.

I really want to help, so I've verified with our Marketing Team and they informed us that "Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky - PlayStation 3" is not entitled for a per-order bonus offer--I'm sincerely sorry about this misunderstanding.

I really hope they sell it later or something then, because this is ridiculous, there's no where else that is offering this costume. And they never sold these costumes on PSN in Japan because they were magazine exclusive. They're offering me 20 dollar in promotional credit at least, I guess.

Eusis

I really hope they sell it later or something then, because this is ridiculous, there's no where else that is offering this costume. And they never sold these costumes on PSN in Japan because they were magazine exclusive. They're offering me 20 dollar in promotional credit at least, I guess.
I hope it's just given for free though a sale is a compromise; I went ahead and dumped off a bunch of games at GameStop and will only hold on to the pre-order until Sunday or Monday in case I get something like what happened with the FFXIII-2 pre-order where I got the code anyway despite cancelling.

Yeah I agree, I've always hated exclusives like this... I actually got another reply from Amazon's support and they pretty much said the same thing as last time.

20 dollar credit for the bonus not showing up? Amazon's really awesome sometimes, great CS.

Next week can't get here soon enough, Europe's been getting stuff sooner lately, but I hope you guys enjoy it :)

Arthea

The game is up on the store now
and appears to be more expensive than getting a physical copy from amazon

It's more expensive than any physical copy I've seen, £39.99 on PSN.
Oh well, will wait then. I can't understand UK PSN prices, I tried, I just can't, like publishers and Sony are bent on us buying physical only.

Itsuki

Found a bug in the game: I went to another area in town and then the loading screen appears just as usual. But I've been waiting more than 10 minutes and the game still was on the loading screen. So I had to reset my PS3.
2 hours of progress lost *cries*

Found a bug in the game: I went to another area in town and then the loading screen appears just as usual. But I've been waiting more than 10 minutes and the game still was on the loading screen. So I had to reset my PS3.

That's awful =( Hope that's not an ongoing issue. Let us know if you encounter any other hiccups.

C'mon next Tuesday!

LayLa

played the first 2 hours (Escha), and i can report that surprise surprise it's an Atelier game, with all that implies. music is nice, animation is a bit janky, lots of alchemy systems to get your head around (v similar to Ayesha's so far tho). i like the grid for assignments and the way you can earn bonuses. early days but can already feel the "let's just explore one more area" itch coming on!

Jisgsaw

played the first 2 hours (Escha), and i can report that surprise surprise it's an Atelier game, with all that implies. music is nice, animation is a bit janky, lots of alchemy systems to get your head around (v similar to Ayesha's so far tho). i like the grid for assignments and the way you can earn bonuses. early days but can already feel the "let's just explore one more area" itch coming on!

I'm also 2 hours in with Logy.
I have the impression its far less a "moe game" (cute girls doing cute things) thant previous entries, which was the point that buged me the most in the other Atelier.

Is this due to the game, the beggining being more ""serious"", or the fact that I'm playing Logy? Anyway, I like that.

For now, I rather like the new assignment/grid system, but the alchemy seems a bit oversimplified (but then again, I'm just at the beginning).

I'm also 2 hours in with Logy.
I have the impression its far less a "moe game" (cute girls doing cute things) thant previous entries, which was the point that buged me the most in the other Atelier.

Is this due to the game, the beggining being more ""serious"", or the fact that I'm playing Logy? Anyway, I like that.

For now, I rather like the new assignment/grid system, but the alchemy seems a bit oversimplified (but then again, I'm just at the beginning).

It's been less since Ayesha, the last game.

The tone and setting of the world is pretty different and while it still has the whole cute girls doing cute things, it just doesn't seem as that big of a thing anymore.

Jisgsaw

It's been less since Ayesha, the last game.

The tone and setting of the world is pretty different and while it still has the whole cute girls doing cute things, it just doesn't seem as that big of a thing anymore.

He, good to hear.
Anyway, appart from some reservations concerning alchemy, it all seems really good from what I've seen.

ohlawd

I'm remember this happening with Rorona. Would just stay at the loading screen forever or freeze randomly. I lost a lot of progress every time cuz I'm the type who doesn't save often.

Top Bottom