• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky |OT| Just Pretend it's Mana-Khemia 3

Shops near me got bad at having games when they are meant to. >:-[

At one place, they said they sold out of it.

Probably, if they ordered one copy.

So I bought it on PSN. It was how much I went to the shops expecting to pay, 69.xx AUD.

Jisgsaw

Ayesha has some serious frame-rate issues, is this one smoother?

Nope, there are the same issues in this one too. Especially on running animations.
But well, I come from Lightning returns, so I'm kinda used to it lol.

Alchemy level15, I can finaly use the properties.
I'm really liking the game now.

So I've started it now and well... the trophies in-game popped up in English (ie "Escha's Journey" was the first one I got) but when I went to view them:

They were in Japanese for some reason.
They showed up in English for me on PS3, but when I checked on PS4, it was in Japanese.

Jisgsaw

Hum, 8 hours in and I still don't completely understand the Field Events system.

How do I know which three events a specific field will have?

Eusis

Yes, it's an entirely new engine and you can really tell
I wonder if it's really new given it's the current Musou engine, but I haven't followed that much and that's kind of splitting hairs anyway when what really matters is that it's a DIFFERENT engine.

... Hmm, everyone seems to be abandoning the PhyreEngine actually. From did too with Dark Souls II. But I guess it's more the engine of choice for smaller PS exclusive developers who don't have better alternatives to get for free/cheap, and being part of Tecmo Koei now probably meant it was easy to get access to something else.

Vylash

I wonder if it's really new given it's the current Musou engine, but I haven't followed that much and that's kind of splitting hairs anyway when what really matters is that it's a DIFFERENT engine.

... Hmm, everyone seems to be abandoning the PhyreEngine actually. From did too with Dark Souls II. But I guess it's more the engine of choice for smaller PS exclusive developers who don't have better alternatives to get for free/cheap, and being part of Tecmo Koei now probably meant it was easy to get access to something else.

I meant new for the franchise, but I probably should've worded it better

Jisgsaw

Is it me, or are the descriptions sometimes not matching the effects when you inspect them during synthetises?

I saw lots of "*effect name* L" having "a small amount" somewhere in the description (and other way around, "*effect name* S" having "a lage amount" in the description).

See my last Eis Ice Bomb, where "Water Damage S" apparently means "Deals strong water damage".
Edit: or even better, I just crafted an effect "HP to SP".
Which apparently means "Reduces the wait after the target's next turn by a large amount".

WTF?!? I think they put the wrong effect name actually.

Silvawuff

Very nice OP! This game looks gorgeous. I've never played an Atelier game before; is this a good spot to jump in? Would I be completely lost, or does this game stand on its own from other similar titles?

Very nice OP! This game looks gorgeous. I've never played an Atelier game before; is this a good spot to jump in? Would I be completely lost, or does this game stand on its own from other similar titles?

It's a sequel to Atelier Ayesha, but the story seems standalone other than a few reappearing characters. You should be fine starting here.

Is it me, or are the descriptions sometimes not matching the effects when you inspect them during synthetises?

I saw lots of "*effect name* L" having "a small amount" somewhere in the description (and other way around, "*effect name* S" having "a lage amount" in the description).

See my last Eis Ice Bomb, where "Water Damage S" apparently means "Deals strong water damage".
Which apparently means "Reduces the wait after the target's next turn by a large amount".

WTF?!? I think they put the wrong effect name actually

Wow. That's not cool.

Thanks for the info. Looks like we'll have to read the item descriptions in this game.

ohlawd

WTF?!? I think they put the wrong effect name actually.
Straight up embarassing.

Jisgsaw

Actually, I'm just wondering if the S doesn't stand for "Super" or "Strong", and not "Small", in some (all?) cases...
Wouldn't be very logical with the "S/M/L" that screams for "Small/Medium/Large", but that would explain some things (well, not that HP to SP skill, but well).

In any case, I would trust the description more, they usually concur with how "difficult" it is to get the effect.

In the other Atelier games, S is Small, M is Medium, L is large. and then there is XS for extra small, and XL for Extra Large. It sounds like the localization guys messed up somewhere.

But how do you know what's wrong, the effect name or the description? What a mess.

Jigsaw thinks they put on the wrong effect name, but I guess to find out, we'd have to test the effects in battle. lol

Jisgsaw

In the other Atelier games, S is Small, M is Medium, L is large. and then there is XS for extra small, and XL for Extra Large. It sounds like the localization guys messed up somewhere.

Yeah I know, that's why I didn't even consider the "Super/Strong" possibility.
But I just synthetised one of those bombs that eat your MP, and I noticed it wasn't "XL" effect, but "S2".

I'm not sure, but I'd tipp they changed the localisation:

Nothing = small effect (previously S)
M = Medium (previously M)
L = large (previously L)
S = strong (previously XL)
S2 = super strong, new

Didn't check, but that could work out.

Edit: yeah, just checked in the game's Journal, that's (more or less) it.

Yeah I know, that's why I didn't even consider the "Super/Strong" possibility.
But I just synthetised one of those bombs that eat your MP, and I noticed it wasn't "XL" effect, but "S2".

I'm not sure, but I'd tipp they changed the localisation:

Nothing = small effect (previously S)
M = Medium (previously M)
L = large (previously L)
S = strong (previously XL)
S2 = super strong, new

Didn't check, but that could work out.

Edit: yeah, just checked in the game's Journal, that's (more or less) it.

Interesting. Okay, that's good then as long as the effect and description is accurate.

Jisgsaw

Interesting. Okay, that's good then as long as the effect and description is accurate.

Well yeah, that point works out.

But as said, some Effects and descriptions definitively don't match up, like the HP to SP I already took as example. Some alchemy skills also don't have the right description (Lv1 and Lv2 skill having the same descrption, even if the Lv2 uses more SP and has a better effect).
I also noticed several typos in dialogues (and I'm really not looking for them, and usually just don't see them).

But as said, some Effects and descriptions definitively don't match up, like the HP to SP I already took as example. Some alchemy skills also don't have the right description (Lv1 and Lv2 skill having the same descrption, even if the Lv2 uses more SP and has a better effect).
I also noticed several typos in dialogues (and I'm really not looking for them, and usually just don't see them).

Yeah, that part is not cool. And it's kinda sad to hear about typos in an Atelier game after NISA had cut down on that problem big time after their Ar tonelico 2 fiasco. :(

Again, thanks for the information.

sure?
until now nothing on it at amazon.com :(
my preorder depends on it

So far, Amazon has mentioned they don't know anything about it despite Koei-Tecmo mentioning it.

Koei-Tecmo hasn't actually said anything about it so we really don't know. It might be too late or something since the release is in two days...

The battle system gets to be my favourite in the series (Rorona onwards is what I played) once it develops in assignment four.
six characters in your party in battle, and use the support attacks and switching rows in battle with them.

Bumping this question since I would like to know too. It says on some optional assignments which areas to go (if you press square to show more info on the assignment grid). But I have too much uncertainty to make for good planning around these, so I hope there could be a guide for this. Assignment four outside line on grid spoilers:
As I need one more document, and I am not getting the lava cube through the relic discovery thing in the area it says.
Hum, 8 hours in and I still don't completely understand the Field Events system.

How do I know which three events a specific field will have?

Coxy

Yeah, that part is not cool. And it's kinda sad to hear about typos in an Atelier game after NISA had cut down on that problem big time after their Ar tonelico 2 fiasco. :(

Again, thanks for the information.

I dont think it's even localised by NISA, I think Acttil did the localisation

Eusis

Well, it's a startup formed by ex-NISA staff from what I understand, though that would mean those kind of issues crop back up initially at least.

Yeah. What I meant was that an issue that was gone the last couple installments has now cropped back up as a result of the change of hands from NISA to KT/Acttil.

Jisgsaw

Bumping this question since I would like to know too. It says on some optional assignments which areas to go (if you press square to show more info on the assignment grid). But I have too much uncertainty to make for good planning around these, so I hope there could be a guide for this. Assignment four outside line on grid spoilers:
As I need one more document, and I am not getting the lava cube through the relic discovery thing in the area it says.

Yeah, I was asking for the same assignment.

As far as I can tell, each field has 3 to 5 or 6 possible field effect. But I still haven't seen anywhere where you can look them up.
What you can do: get your jauge to 100+%, and enter each field of a location. You can then exit it without losing a day.
Because yes, huge improvement: as long as you do nothing in a field, you don't lose a day now when you exit it.

If you want the documents:
I found two at the homunculus village, one at the well of the withered plains, one at the field with the broken bridge in the old highway, and one other in the old highway, but I don't remember which field.

I don't know how to add Meteor to a Lava Cube. This is all that stops me from getting 100% on the first four.

Full earth on a Lava Cube (the effect is actually called Falling stars. Again, the "meteorites" mention only pops up in the effect description...)

Yeah, I was asking for the same assignment.

As far as I can tell, each field has 3 to 5 or 6 possible field effect. But I still haven't seen anywhere where you can look them up.
What you can do: get your jauge to 100+%, and enter each field of a location. You can then exit it without losing a day.
Because yes, huge improvement: as long as you do nothing in a field, you don't lose a day now when you exit it.

If you want the documents:
I found two at the homunculus village, one at the well of the withered plains, one at the field with the broken bridge in the old highway, and one other in the old highway, but I don't remember which field.

Full earth on a Lava Cube (the effect is actually called Falling stars. Again, the "meteorites" mention only pops up in the effect description...)
I experimented and figured out it was probably full earth (or less likely a high wind). I can only get to 50 earth with what I have, can buy, or can synthesise, though. Phlog and Bomb don't add to Earth, Tarot of Fate is the best fuel I can get (30) and the Black Neutraliser is the best supplement with 20 earth. So I'll be adventuring looking for rare earth things, I guess.

I did get the documents, two of them from the well area. It seems to work to just revisit an area it worked before. I've been using that trick too. :) I thought incorrectly from something I read recently about an earlier game that as long as you didn't spend a full day in an area you could leave without losing time. So it's good to do as much within an area once a day has started.

Jisgsaw

I experimented and figured out it was probably full earth (or less likely a high wind). I can only get to 50 earth with what I have, can buy, or can synthesise, though. Phlog and Bomb don't add to Earth, Tarot of Fate is the best fuel I can get (30) and the Black Neutraliser is the best supplement with 20 earth. So I'll be adventuring looking for rare earth things, I guess.

Use your synthetisis skills. Especially Power +1 (3 Fire points) and/or Division (2 Wind points).
Further down you get really amazing skills.

I did get the documents, two of them from the well area. It seems to work to just revisit an area it worked before. I've been using that trick too. :) I thought incorrectly from something I read recently about an earlier game that as long as you didn't spend a full day in an area you could leave without losing time. So it's good to do as much within an area once a day has started.

As far as I know, re-entering indefinitively won't work.
And that's quite logical: the documents describe things linked to the location. There is only so much to say about each location. Some locations just have two locations linked to them.

Use your synthetisis skills. Especially Power +1 (3 Fire points) and/or Division (2 Wind points).
Further down you get really amazing skills.

As far as I know, re-entering indefinitively won't work.
And that's quite logical: the documents describe things linked to the location. There is only so much to say about each location. Some locations just have two locations linked to them.

Ah, I see the mistake I was making. I had been using skills... after putting the ingredients in and was confused about why I wasn't seeing those effects. Thank you very much for the help. :)

Vylash

Should I spend way too much time figuring out how to get amazing traits on my weapons or wait until somebody else does it...

Jisgsaw

Should I spend way too much time figuring out how to get amazing traits on my weapons or wait until somebody else does it...

I'm only on year 3, so not quite there yet.

Actually, I'd have two question, if you're further in the game:
I just unlocked the double draw. It mentioned the effect is greater when synched. Does this mean using the same item, or what is this sync?
I also have to make a Poly. Poison for one assignment. Where do I get the recipe? It was in none of the stores...

Vylash

I'm only on year 3, so not quite there yet.

Actually, I'd have two question, if you're further in the game:
I just unlocked the double draw. It mentioned the effect is greater when synched. Does this mean using the same item, or what is this sync?
I also have to make a Poly. Poison for one assignment. Where do I get the recipe? It was in none of the stores...

Yes, the effect is greater when both of them use the same item.

I found a poly poison in one of the later areas, i don't remember if it was the dragon's nest or the unexplored ruins, but i found it in one of those places as a relic, so bring it back to your workshop and disassemble it for the recipe, and synthesize it again

ohlawd

hnnnnng game shipped today. It should be here by tomorrow, today if I'm lucky or Wednesday if the world hates me.

Animekatt

So much for playing this straight away. Last night while playing Symphonia, the laser on my PS3 conked out. Will have to wait until I get it fixed to play any discs now. Blah.

Jisgsaw

Yes, the effect is greater when both of them use the same item.

I found a poly poison in one of the later areas, i don't remember if it was the dragon's nest or the unexplored ruins, but i found it in one of those places as a relic, so bring it back to your workshop and disassemble it for the recipe, and synthesize it again

For double draw, I just found out that if the second alchemist uses his draw while other members hav special support (so if you have a long chain of attack), the effect is even bigger. You can do insane amount of damage that way (I just did 8000 with a not-so-good bomb))

Top Bottom