• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky |OT| Just Pretend it's Mana-Khemia 3

Eusis

Yeah, that's what I'm imagining right now.

I braced myself for that possibility. :/
That was always the standard for niche games in the past, it's just easy to forget with the likes of Atlus and NISA going for RDD and some of the others like SE considering themselves big enough to make it standard on all their games regardless of how big the release really is (and Nintendo being Nintendo and always insisting on Fridays or Sundays for whatever reason.)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like Gohastings canceled my $20 preorder. I'm so glad I held on to my GS one.

Yeah everyone's did, despite the sale popping up twice :/ Disappointed but guess I'll wait for a Play-Asia sale or something, in a few months' time.

Edit: Looks like a couple lucky people have it processing

That was always the standard for niche games in the past, it's just easy to forget with the likes of Atlus and NISA going for RDD and some of the others like SE considering themselves big enough to make it standard on all their games regardless of how big the release really is (and Nintendo being Nintendo and always insisting on Fridays or Sundays for whatever reason.)

I guess I was just used to it since DW8 managed to get release date delivery.

Can't remember about Toukiden though.

jackal27

Banned
Where is a good place to start with this series? I've always wanted to give it a shot. I had my eye on Altelier Annie for a while, but chickened out.

I'm really hoping this comes to the Vita since I don't own a PS3...

Vylash

Where is a good place to start with this series? I've always wanted to give it a shot. I had my eye on Altelier Annie for a while, but chickened out.

I'm really hoping this comes to the Vita since I don't own a PS3...

Atelier Totori and Meruru are both on Vita and they're great starting points!

Eusis

I guess I was just used to it since DW8 managed to get release date delivery.

Can't remember about Toukiden though.
Oh, hmm, maybe there is a chance though I imagine Tecmo Koei would prioritize DoA, NG, and DW higher than Deception or Gust games. Still, maybe there is a shred of hope! Certainly it'd be more convenient for anyone that pore-ordered it with Titanfall/Dark Souls II/whatever else might be hitting tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, hope from GameStop. I gave up on Amazon given they couldn't even get the pre-order bonus that was at least implied.

Busaiku

Ahh, dang it, my order got canceled too.
Went down to Gamestop to get it there, they said I could I still get the costumes.

Eusis

shhhh

i'm a time traveler
You can at least tell the rest of us if it's in the store and ready to be picked up with midnight launches anyway.

Unless somehow neither DSII or Titanfall have enough for that, then what the fuck?

EDIT: Midnight launch tracker just in case they have copies ahead of time and are willing to sell at midnight along with those two.

Yeah, my gohastings order was cancelled too

I can't believe they are allowed to just do that. Not even an email with any kind of explanation?

Is there any chance taking it up with customer service would do anything?

Apdiddy

My order got cancelled too by Hastings. I am VERY pissed about this. I never received an email from them stating why and I spoke to a representative who told me it was a 'pricing error' and thus that was the reason it was being cancelled. I was rather pushy with the person I spoke to, but I was not abusive towards the person. I simply stated that I was upset and I understood where they were coming from, but if they wanted to do right by their customers, they need to owe up to the mistake and honor the order (or 'uncancel it').

I will never order anything from Hastings again.

Yeah, my gohastings order was cancelled too

I can't believe they are allowed to just do that. Not even an email with any kind of explanation?

Is there any chance taking it up with customer service would do anything?

I was told by the representative that she couldn't do anything nor could her supervisor. So don't even bother.

Shameful.

Ken

i'm back from the future!

iMG4LLUoPQJ0X.jpg

Link1110

A question about these Atelier games... I loved Iris 2, and went back to Elie, but that was more like a VN with item gathering and such. Annie was similar. Are any if these newer Atelier games like Iris?

atomsk

Party Pooper
cancelled here as well.

oh well, less money to spend in March. I've bought every GUST PS3 game on Day 1 at full price, I think I can take a break on this one. (will grab off gamefly for cheap in a month or two)

Rarutos

A question about these Atelier games... I loved Iris 2, and went back to Elie, but that was more like a VN with item gathering and such. Annie was similar. Are any if these newer Atelier games like Iris?

If you're looking for a traditional RPG experience, then no. Iris 1-3 and Mana-Khemia 1 and 2 are the only ones like that. You could also look into the Ar tonelico series if you want something similar.

Each of the new game (starting from Rorona on) does get more jRPG-ish with their battle system improving each new game.

This one will probably be the most closest to being like a real jRPG hence the OT subtitle!

Eusis

Each of the new game (starting from Rorona on) does get more jRPG-ish with their battle system improving each new game.

This one will probably be the most closest to being like a real jRPG hence the OT subtitle!
It probably is more ideal that it gets closer in that area but not, say, gameplay structure. I think compromising heavily there is a large part of what made Atelier Iris so bland.

Eusis

Is it even a good idea to play or at least start Escha & Logy before finishing Ayesha? That's kind of the irony for me, I can get that tonight but I didn't get around to completing Ayesha yet so DSII would take priority... but that's coming whenever tomorrow if Amazon doesn't REALLY screw up anyway.

Is it even a good idea to play or at least start Escha & Logy before finishing Ayesha? That's kind of the irony for me, I can get that tonight but I didn't get around to completing Ayesha yet so DSII would take priority... but that's coming whenever tomorrow if Amazon doesn't REALLY screw up anyway.

Could always look at the endings if you don't think you'd get back to it, although the lead up to the end is pretty epic, as well as the final boss. Although I'm not sure how spoilery the beginning of EschaLogy might be. Depending how close to the end you are is a big part of the equation.

This game doesn't seem as strictly connected as how the Arland games were since Ayesha doesn't appear in this game.

You'll probably get spoiled on how Ayesha ends as you play through the game and meet the old characters but that's probably about it.

Rarutos

Well, if you already started Ayesha you might as well finish that first, I'd say... But it doesn't really matter in the end!

Edit: Updated the OP with some reviews.

Busaiku

Wow, this was a first.

I managed to finally get my niche game that nobody else is waiting for, that launches alongside the big games, without having to finalize my order and wait in line with everyone else.
They finally just gave me my order and let me go before everyone waiting for Dark Souls II/Titanfall.

Wow, this was a first.

I managed to finally get my niche game that nobody else is waiting for, that launches alongside the big games, without having to finalize my order and wait in line with everyone else.
They finally just gave me my order and let me go before everyone waiting for Dark Souls II/Titanfall.

Hm, that means some Gamestops already have it.

Guess I should just call them tomorrow and see if they have it then.

Eusis

Hm, that means some Gamestops already have it.

Guess I should just call them tomorrow and see if they have it then.
I actually called mine earlier and it's in, albeit only the one I preordered. If you're on the west coast or at least the mountain time zone then there may still be time to go in, pay, and get it.

Busaiku

You might not get the costumes.
When I called earlier, they told me preorder bonuses only last till 6 the day prior to release.

When I called earlier, they told me preorder bonuses only last till 6 the day prior to release.

Already got it preordered.

Just never got notification from them if it ever came in so might as well bug them about that tomorrow.

Busaiku

Augh, why is there no autoscroll.

Also, is there no options menu? Start does nothing so far, but I'm very early.
Is it autosave?

Eusis

I'll be irritated if I don't get mine, but we'll see what happens. Probably a borderline case being on the 6th at any rate.

And options can usually be found under the menu in most RPGs including Atelier games, try pressing Triangle.

Rarutos

Mine shipped from Amazon, and am getting it on Wednesday apparently. Just one more day for waiting won't be bad.

Speaking of menus, I look forward to seeing Escha & Logy's main menu! They've been so pretty in the past few games.

Astarte

I'm such crap at synthesizing and time management, but I can't stop playing these games. I remember getting the bad ending in Ayesha because all I wanted to do was perfect synthesizing and bake some kick ass bread.

Busaiku

I'll be irritated if I don't get mine, but we'll see what happens. Probably a borderline case being on the 6th at any rate.

And options can usually be found under the menu in most RPGs including Atelier games, try pressing Triangle.

Yeah, Triangle didn't have anything, which was why I was wondering.
Just got the Atelier, and it looks like that's the only place to mess with things.

Jisgsaw

This game doesn't seem as strictly connected as how the Arland games were since Ayesha doesn't appear in this game.

You'll probably get spoiled on how Ayesha ends as you play through the game and meet the old characters but that's probably about it.

Well, I haven't seen Ayesha (yet ?) but other characters take a large part of the screen time. And as with the Aarland trilogy, you won't get a fair amount of dialogue that's referencing Atelier Ayesha.

Augh, why is there no autoscroll.

Also, is there no options menu? Start does nothing so far, but I'm very early.
Is it autosave?

The option menu is at the starting screen (I think), and when you press start.

Edit/ start only works on the worldmap, in the town and fields it does something else.

Well, I'm litteraly getting destroyed at the end of the world, now I know why you can go over level 50...
(well, actually with my Phoenix bracelets, I'm technickly quasi-impossible to kill, but I just can't do enough damage to the biggest ennemies...)

Vylash

You don't have to play Ayesha at all

Stuart444

So yesterday I was on Assignment 3 and for the first time, I was unable to finish all tasks, namely the
Make Glorious Note
one.

I didn't realize I had the recipe for until literally 1 day left before I had to report in and I needed 2 days to synth it. :(

Oh well.

Eusis

Yeah, Triangle didn't have anything, which was why I was wondering.
Just got the Atelier, and it looks like that's the only place to mess with things.
Yeah, I see now. Ah well, at least most of them aren't options I'll want to mess with on a whim too often though I'll have to check if Barrel got dubbed this time around.
Could always look at the endings if you don't think you'd get back to it, although the lead up to the end is pretty epic, as well as the final boss. Although I'm not sure how spoilery the beginning of EschaLogy might be. Depending how close to the end you are is a big part of the equation.

Well, if you already started Ayesha you might as well finish that first, I'd say... But it doesn't really matter in the end!

Well, I haven't seen Ayesha (yet ?) but other characters take a large part of the screen time. And as with the Aarland trilogy, you won't get a fair amount of dialogue that's referencing Atelier Ayesha.

You don't have to play Ayesha at all
All noted, thanks! Though I do want to get through it eventually, so depending on how NG+ works or whatever I might do a playthrough on one side, go back to Ayesha, then do the other side.

And man, the framerate IS kind of bad in this. At least the PhyreEngine's good about staying at a stable multiple, this is pretty uneven. I'm more forgiving than with someone like Crytek though just because of the size of the developer, their own relative technical expertise, and what the game's doing, but it makes me sorta wish they just stuck with PhyreEngine. Maybe the combat will change my mind, and character models do look nicer.

Jisgsaw

So yesterday I was on Assignment 3 and for the first time, I was unable to finish all tasks, namely the
Make Glorious Note
one.

I didn't realize I had the recipe for until literally 1 day left before I had to report in and I needed 2 days to synth it. :(

Oh well.

You do now you can turn in your assignments a few days late?

I'm also strugling on the ninth set of assignments, but the requirements are insane
I barely managed to equip 50 Adventuring Items, but it cost me like 40 days to synth all that. And using 60 different items in battle, really?

Top Bottom