• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marow

I don't really comment in this thread as I also read the manga, but this episode really nailed it. I also love how they managed to capture how "off" the reveal was, which was something I adored in the manga.

The main reason I decided to comment now, though, is because I kinda want to tell every other manga reader to just... stop. Like, stop replying to anime viewers. Go to the manga thread instead. To me it seems like you're just ruining the fun for viewers.

Tuck

Yea but all the sudden reveals are never expanded on;

-Erens basement key/dad
-The giant ape Titan who can talk
- short haired dude's village it appeared the people were becoming Titans
-the group that circled the Walls and found no hole in the wall
-Ymirs Titan powers and how she appears to be speak some ancient language
- Historia's noble bloodline and what it means
-and now suddenly Colossus and his accomplice are suddenly revealed

We have set up reveal, and then quickly move on to something else

The basement is the end goal (for now) - but they can't just snap their fingers and get there, its an adventure story.

The next three points are all really only plot point. There isn't a hole in the wall because the beast titan appears to have turned people in those villages into Titans (This is not a spoiler, this is what the show has implied - I have not read the manga beyond this point).

The next two points are also intertwined, as Ymir and Historia seem to have similar (though not the same) backgrounds. And Ymir appears to be intertwined with Reiner too, since she ate his friend.

The final point is a reveal from a previous plot thread, and we have yet to see how it plays out and what consequences it will have moving forward.

So these aren't all just random plot threads - they're building on things that have come from before or they are new things intertwined with other new things.

Hmmm... so all Titans are Shifters? Or... only special ones? But why are they killing people? Just for the heck of it or...?

My theory is that shifters are the evolution of the process that created Titans in the first place

A genetic experiment to create super soldiers gone horribly wrong. But instead of quitting they used the successful creations to build the walls and buy them more time

Im sure things got REALLY messy between everyone involved in creating the monstrosities involving multiple fighting factions

Who knows how many hybrids there are out there, how many the capitol employs etc etc.

The basement is the end goal (for now) - but they can't just snap their fingers and get there, its an adventure story.

The next three points are all really only plot point. There isn't a hole in the wall because the beast titan appears to have turned people in those villages into Titans (This is not a spoiler, this is what the show has implied - I have not read the manga beyond this point).

The next two points are also intertwined, as Ymir and Historia seem to have similar (though not the same) backgrounds. And Ymir appears to be intertwined with Reiner too, since she ate his friend.

The final point is a reveal from a previous plot thread, and we have yet to see how it plays out and what consequences it will have moving forward.

So these aren't all just random plot threads - they're building on things that have come from before or they are new things intertwined with other new things.

Following my current theory

Is Ymir and outsider or a close friend of Historia? She might be the only link that the Capitol has had shifters in their employ this whole time outside of the obvious use of titans to build the walls

This may be a war between multiple factions that have access to the technology that allows them to create these beings

Stilll.... I cannot fathom turning common innocent people into those mindless maneating monsters.... Just as cruel as using an actual bioweapon in war

Kayhan

Feels like the thread is becoming very spoilery.

I only watch the anime and a lot of the discussion here seem to be about stuff the anime has not made clear yet.

You may or may not be speculating but for us anime-only people it is frustrating to potentially be spoiled.

Hmmm... so all Titans are Shifters? Or... only special ones? But why are they killing people? Just for the heck of it or...?

Just keep watching.

Did Eren transform from the first battle?

Or Did they know about his dad?

I assumed that the only reason for infiltration is to gather intelligence on what defenses the capitol had

Which is still strange considering how powerful they are but that must mean that they know the leaders at the center likely have titans of their own

There's not much I can answer without going into spoilers and I definitely don't want to do that. Your reactions are great and I love them so I'm just reiterating what has been said in this episode and what has been revealed in the past. I won't be answering questions unless it's just to clarify points that have been made in the episodes so far. I do love reading the speculation, though.

Reiner and Bertholdt saw Eren emerge from his Titan form way back in the first season. They know all about him and apparently, Eren is valuable to them.

Best episode? Best episode.

Kayhan: "da fuq did Reiner just say?"
Most of the reactions I've seen are consistent with that. Just the casual reveal of their identities and people are like "WTF did he just say?"

Shit just watched the episode. I think the titan faction didn't expect Eren at all. They had a plan of some sort and didn't expect to see him transform. It explains why they are obsessed with him and why they had to transform in front of him. Don't think that was the plan at all. Hence why Berthoud was was all like 'right now?!?'.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Did Eren transform from the first battle?

Or Did they know about his dad?

I assumed that the only reason for infiltration is to gather intelligence on what defenses the capitol had

Which is still strange considering how powerful they are but that must mean that they know the leaders at the center likely have titans of their own
Eren wasn't a titan during the initial attack. After it, during the chaos of what had just happened, his father found him and injected him with the titan serum but he wasn't aware of what his dad had done to him till years later during the second attack when he sacrificed himself for armin and accidentally triggered his titan powers.

I only watch the anime and a lot of the discussion here seem to be about stuff the anime has not made clear yet.

You may or may not be speculating but for us anime-only people it is frustrating to potentially be spoiled.

I wouldn't worry, it hasn't been too bad. It's mostly anime watcher speculation.

Killthee

I don't really comment in this thread as I also read the manga, but this episode really nailed it. I also love how they managed to capture how "off" the reveal was, which was something I adored in the manga.

The main reason I decided to comment now, though, is because I kinda want to tell every other manga reader to just... stop. Like, stop replying to anime viewers. Go to the manga thread instead. To me it seems like you're just ruining the fun for viewers.
Really wish people would heed your advice. As just an anime viewers it's really annoying to see manga readers post with "I can't tell you this but it's cause of this". There's a manga thread for them if they want to discuss the manga.

Wilsongt

Something you'll need to keep watching for.

Going forward, it's hard to talk about anything related to motive or reason without spoilering.

For the time being, everything is explained.

I only watch the anime and I could be very far off lol

kirblar

I'm an manga-person. I know (some) of the answers. Trust me when I say the discussion currently in here isn't spoilery at all. People are just speculating because it's fun and what discussion threads are for. It's a mystery show, and just like LOST or other types of shows, the mystery is a big part of it. (Unlike LOST there's actually a godbook in place here w/ answers to everything.)

I'm an manga-person. I know (some) of the answers. Trust me when I say the discussion currently in here isn't spoilery at all. People are just speculating because it's fun and what discussion threads are for. It's a mystery show, and just like LOST or other types of shows, the mystery is a big part of it. (Unlike LOST there's actually a godbook in place here w/ answers to everything.)

There was actually a godbook for LOST, but they didn't really follow it.

As for the episode, the tension after that flagpole broke was thick! That little moment of calm before the shitstorm was great.

An all titan society?

I dunno doesnt seem to fit for several reasons

1. Reiners flashback when he saved Conny. Seemed to show his life before being inside the city but i could be mixing this up.

2. Connies town implying normal people are turned into the titans we see running around

3. Eren being transformed but what his dad did to him. Implying titans are created artificially from humans

The only lead I see for a titan race is the Beast titan and even he has way to many human traits by showing both the intelligence and capacity of speech that beyond even most shifters

I dont know what the full story is but this is what im sticking to for now but im gonna hunt more clues in older episodes i think

1. That flashback was him, Bertolt and a third guy. The third guy pushed Reiner away when a Ymir-looking titan came to attack him. They had backpacks looking like they were going on a hiking trip. It was on a nondescript plateau of some sort, so it could be inside the walls or out.

2. Another reason to stop the attack? Some people are already turning into titans, and that's good for them? This never happened (as far as we know) for 100 years. That's why they need to attack to speed up the process?

3.... Hmmm. We don't know why some people can transform at will and some don't though, and those who cannot don't have a human body behind their neck.

Beast titan also seems to be inactive for a while too since he doesn't know about the 3D maneuver. I have a feeling this is important.

As for the episode, the tension after that flagpole broke was thick! That little moment of calm before the shitstorm was great.

I love how when the sky suddenly clears up to show Reiner's change of heart.

-Erens basement key/dad

Dude, this is still the beginning don't expect all your answers to get answered yet.

kirblar

There was actually a godbook for LOST, but they didn't really follow it.

Yeah, stuff like that being added in just adds so much there that makes it work better on screen than it does on the page. It's like reading a script vs seeing the film.

1. That flashback was him, Bertolt and a third guy. The third guy pushed Reiner away when a Ymir-looking titan came to attack him. They had backpacks looking like they were going on a hiking trip. It was on a nondescript plateau of some sort, so it could be inside the walls or out.

2. Another reason to stop the attack? Some people are already turning into titans, and that's good for them? This never happened (as far as we know) for 100 years. That's why they need to attack to speed up the process?

3.... Hmmm. We don't know why some people can transform at will and some don't though, and those who cannot don't have a human body behind their neck.

Beast titan also seems to be inactive for a while too since he doesn't know about the 3D maneuver. I have a feeling this is important.

1. How many flashbacks do the initial conspirators get anyways? Its interesting that his is so nondescript

2. Aww so converting humans into the monster forms is how it all started? Maybe monkey man is the catalyst for everything and the creation of shifters is the human response to the threat.... but then how do the conspirators become shifters and turn on their own kind?

3. This is the big mystery. Im rewatching the opening episodes and seeing Erens father rush back to the city in the second episode is.... interesting. Did he know this was going to happen? He has to be related to the decision made by Annie, Reiner and Bernholt. We know he takes in orphans... (ok a stretch) sooooo do we put it past him that he had a hand in the creation of their powers?

Monkey man seems super important.

- He doesn't seem aware of the current human condition. He seems very interested in it but is not overly concerned with human life. He may be the main antagonist... It is odd that he speak their language fluently

I'm in here as a manga reader cause i'm loving reading the speculation. Never got to join in with early manga speculation so it's fun to read here.

With regards to plot threads and their answers, I can imagine the root for a lot of frustration has been the time gap between this season and the last. Hopefully the timings ends up allowing for the subsequent seasons of the anime to come out yearly. Heck, I hope we get the next season for the winter season after the studio wrap up the second season of attack on train.

The pacing of this season (so far) has been spot on, especially compared to the first half of the first season.

Absolutely loving this season so far.

Its a great flourish. There's also these:

cStmaU9.png

Y9JFtYw.png

I don't remember if it was like that in the manga, but I really love this.

Yeah, stuff like that being added in just adds so much there that makes it work better on screen than it does on the page. It's like reading a script vs seeing the film.

There's that moment and the was one a couple of episodes ago when the survey squad were inspecting the wall in complete darkness. They're really nailing the atmosphere this season.

Ok one thing we should be keeping track of is the timeline

When exactly did Erens dad inject him...?

Im watching episode 2 and wtf..... he is screaming about his dad losing his mind after mom died

But then Eren wakes up and already has the key. WTF?

I think Im missing a small time jump here

Im watching episode 2 and wtf..... he is screaming about his dad losing his mind after mom died

Shortly after Eren's mom died within Wall Rose. We know that because he was a child when it was injected. The flashback is elaborated when he tried to block the cannon in episode 9. I suppose it's stuff that allows him to transform into titan (Eren's dad said it's be power necessary to get him to the basement). The (supposed) titan serum never activated until he almost died saving Armin in episode 5(or 6).

** Just rewatched the flashback scene in episode 9, Eren's dad mentioned: "As for the instructions on how to use it, their memory will tell you about it." intriguing.

Shortly after Eren's mom died within Wall Rose. We know that because he was a child when it was injected. The flashback is elaborated when he tried to block the cannon in episode 9. I suppose it's stuff that allows him to transform into titan. The (supposed) titan serum never activated until he almost died saving Armin in episode 5(or 6).

** Just rewatched the flashback scene in episode 9, Eren's dead mentioned: "As for the instructions on how to use it, their memory will tell you about it." intriguing

Yeah there are multiple time jumps during these first few episodes

Im catching up. Man its super interesting going back through them with the new knowledge

and eerie. Currently watching the first long conversation they have with Reiner and Bernholt

Clearly their first story is made up but you know that the best lies come from a place of truth.

Mountain Village huh

EDIT: Omg their initial story is so interesting in teh new context... you think Bernholt is telling the story of what happened to him BEFORE he decided to attack the city?

Killthee

The way I took it was that Eren was in shock after his mothers death. Shortly afterwards briefly reunites with his dad at which point he injects him and leaves him the key before leaving again but cause of his grief and possibly a side effect of the serum the whole encounter with his dad is a blur to him that feels more like a surreal dream than reality.

LordOfChaos

Well folks, we've said it every episode, but next episode is where the fireworks really start :p

Mikasa straight up trying to murderize them was awesome. Until then the episode felt a little odd, but so did this point in the manga, it was kind of an "am I supposed to feel surprised or just drab here?", but the conclusion was worth it.

That said, the 3D graphics colossal titan took me out of a good moment a bit. Wish that part of all things was hand drawn.

This song tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV5ZBuNJMx0

The CG Colossal Titan was disappointing, but there was some art that just looked stupid and I'm not talking about Reiner's magic hand. When Armin and Eren were talking to Reiner in the first part of the episode, we get a profile shot of them, but they were looking directly at the camera. It looked really stupid.

Yoda

We sure they don't have a limit? We have never actually seen them pushed to the limit like the Titan Shifters were. They usually get taken down in a couple of minutes.

Considering they just revealed who the Colossal and Armored Titans are, they might still come back to the rest.

In regards to the show, a "standard" titan has never been killed without damaging the weakspot.

Yoda

-Erens basement key/dad

The show is trying to be more a long epic than a thoughtless TV show. Creating a mystery and revealing it soon after doesn't add any tension to the story, and obviously doesn't add a sense of mystery. The plot points aren't "dropped" and are constantly referenced throughout the show. For example...

Eren's basement (Shiganshina)- Early Season 1 (introduced) -> Mid Season 1 (Eren becomes cognizant of his Titan abilities) -> Mid Season 1 (Commander Erwin seems to have a priori knowledge of the basement when introducing himself to Eren) -> Mid/Late Season 1 (Erwin tells the new scouts the cellar may contain secrets in regards to the Titans) -> Season 2 (The current goal of the scouts).

The memory is suppose to be incomplete from Eren's PoV.

Skyo

So..was I meant to understand the dialogue between Reiner and Eren just before he transformed. Something about taking him to his hometown? Im so confused. From Erens point on view, that makes no sense right?

Holy shit at the opening of Episode 3

Interesting how much in common they draw all the shifters together in their description

THis is crazy

And Skimming through episode 4 with the training

Dude everything just stands out so much more now. Im trying to tune into their motivations because they dont really try to hide their feelings even if they are hiding their true identities

So interesting! Annies Quote from Training " For whatever reason.... the better equipped you are to fight titans the further from them you are assigned"

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So..was I meant to understand the dialogue between Reiner and Eren just before he transformed. Something about taking him to his hometown? Im so confused. From Erens point on view, that makes no sense right?

Eren's reaction is literally "What the fuck are you talking about?".

usp84

Wow what an amazing episode so good!!!Had no clue that these guys were titans wtf.

Why did they become soldiers after the first attack though?

Loved the music and I was wondering what was the song in the end BEFORE Reiner and Bertholdt transform?

Wow what an amazing episode so good!!!Had no clue that these guys were titans wtf.

Why did they become soldiers after the first attack though?

Loved the music and I was wondering what was the song in the end BEFORE Reiner and Bertholdt transform?

still picking up clues by rewatching the first season.

Its odd... you would think they would just join the military police after the graduation to get as close to the king as possible. They seem to let on that its their goal but then Bertolt goes on the offensive..... Why?

Going to look for more clues

LordOfChaos

Is translation making me miss context with the "Warriors" thing? The next episode preview also said "because they are warriors" but that still resonates with nothing in me.

I also hoped the 3D animation titan this episode meant they spent more animation budget on next episode, but the NEP also seems like the colossal remains 3D graphics.

Is translation making me miss context with the "Warriors" thing? The next episode preview also said "because they are warriors" but that still resonates with nothing in me.

I also hoped the 3D animation titan this episode meant they spent more animation budget on next episode, but the NEP also seems like the colossal remains 3D graphics.

It's the internal conflict in Reiner being a "Warrior" vs a "Soldier". Bertolt mentioned how Reiner "used to be a warrior". The Soldier side is being the one that sacrifice self for others (ex. for Connie), while the warrior side is the one in their titan forms, destroying homes, bringing Eren back, etc.

I didn't watch the preview, but I think that's what they're alluding to.

Theres no translation issue. Reiner is suffering PTSD from having to be two different people, The Warrior Reiner the murderous bastard and Soldier Reiner who was a champion of mankind.

LordOfChaos

It's the internal conflict in Reiner being a "Warrior" vs a "Soldier". Bertolt mentioned how Reiner "used to be a warrior". The Soldier side is being the one that sacrifice self for others (ex. for Connie), while the warrior side is the one in their titan forms, destroying homes, bringing Eren back, etc.

I didn't watch the preview, but I think that's what they're alluding to.

That's part of what I was wondering - how were we supposed to get all that from just Bertolt saying warrior vs solider?

Assuming that is on the mark, that also makes me confused about the "poor sad Bertolt" sentiment, he seemed to be the one pushing for it then.

BIGWORM

The music before Reiner's and Bertholdt's transformations got me like the music right before Ymir's transformation when she jumps off the tower. Perfectly timed and sets the mood perfectly.

That's part of what I was wondering - how were we supposed to get all that from just Bertolt saying warrior vs solider?

Assuming that is on the mark, that also makes me confused about the "poor sad Bertolt" sentiment, he seemed to be the one pushing for it then.

I guess you're sort of expected to get it when he starts mumbling all sorts of hard-to-understand stuff this episode about being a half-baked person. I guess you can also tie that to the human/titan dichotomy similar to what Annie and Eren is going through.

I didn't get it until someone mentioned how it contrasted with soldier, then the warrior thing clicked.

Dahbomb

I kind of love how low key Reiner's reveal conversation with Eren was, what a crazy direction to take that.
"Hey man I wanna talk to you about something...

So yeah I am the armored titan, he's the colossal titan. Wanna join our team? K cool let's get outta here."

LMAO!

Hypron

It's kinda weird/hilarious, but at the same time they are right on top of the wall so it's probably one of the best places to reveal themselves if they want to leave.

Mediking

Well... if you can find a cool Eren avatar... lemme know. Lol Might change to it depending what happens next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom