• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCarter

lBertholdt said that "Eren doesn't seem to remember either," implying that he ate someone to turn back into a human? I wonder if he's mistaken and unaware of Eren's circumstances, or if he's correct.

Yes that's what I thought as well. It will be a very interesting angle to take his character because his whole life his target have been the titans - the monsters that killed his mother. Yet now, it's possible he might be one himself.

I still don't understand one thing, was the village in the Ymir flashback outside the walls entirely, or was it throwing people off the outmost wall? Either could be consistent with Titans outside the third wall.

And manga readers, as little spoilers as possible and in tags of course, but when can we expect Levi to get back in action, and will it be awesome?

As soon as he can finish taking a shit.

dickroach

Why does Eren have to suck so much all the time

Hannes brought it up an episode or two ago:
Eren has never finished a fight that he started. he's too weak and constantly has other people bail him out.

oh. and his dad's some type of weird mad scientist. that can't be good on a kid

The Hobo

I wonder how much Bertholdt can move as the Collassal Titan? It's always seemed like it would be too big to fully support it's own weight.

LordOfChaos

I wonder how much Bertholdt can move as the Collassal Titan? It's always seemed like it would be too big to fully support it's own weight.

Running idea is zero, each time we saw the CT he was leaning against the wall or laying down on the wall/forming a rib cage attached to the wall.

I don't think it can move at all without support.

Running idea is zero, each time we saw the CT he was leaning against the wall or laying down on the wall/forming a rib cage attached to the wall.

I don't think it can move at all without support.

What about his movement in the intro? We see him knocking over a mountain range. Although it might not actually be from a scene but usually these intros give us an idea of future arcs.

LordOfChaos

What about his movement in the intro? We see him knocking over a mountain range. Although it might not actually be from a scene but usually these intros give us an idea of future arcs.

They showed a spirit whale and dinosaurs flying with the titans...Hopefully a lot of the intro is allegorical ;)

The titans are less dense than they appear, but they're still limited. Big ones like the Colossal Titan can't move that fast or even at all except very limited movements. There's a reason why he uses steam as a defense.

Why does Eren have to suck so much all the time

I found hilarious his attempt to punch him with the stump, and later when he is fighting on the background while Ymir and Bert has their somber talk about death.

All the time? He kicked the armored titan's ass just two episodes ago and already you forgot. Smh. I am glad he is not like every stupid anime protagonist trope.

And him putting some resistance to Reiner made them lose a pair of minutes which in the end contributed to the Scout Legion catching up at the end.

Just to establish: I have not read the manga.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the rest of Ymir's backstory, in which she was seemingly randomly chosen out of four orphans. Then they claimed she had the "blood of the king"? She was subsequently worshiped to some extent by a forbidden cult, which led to the punishment.

Speculation:
They were all injected, turned to titans, but perhaps her "blood of the king" is what made her a shifter.

This all seems to be tightly tied into the end credits sequence, which to me seems very explanatory, even if the details are fuzzy. It certainly seems like the royal bloodline was gifted this titan shifter ability from gods/demons/aliens, ate humans to initiate the process...to combat other titans? I don't know exactly, maybe it all went wrong.

The Hobo

Just to establish: I have not read the manga.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the rest of Ymir's backstory, in which she was seemingly randomly chosen out of four orphans. Then they claimed she had the "blood of the king"? She was subsequently worshiped to some extent by a forbidden cult, which led to the punishment.

Speculation:
They were all injected, turned to titans, but perhaps her "blood of the king" is what made her a shifter.

This all seems to be tightly tied into the end credits sequence, which to me seems very explanatory, even if the details are fuzzy. It certainly seems like the royal bloodline was gifted this titan shifter ability from gods/demons/aliens, ate humans to initiate the process...to combat other titans? I don't know exactly, maybe it all went wrong.

I think Ymir was just randomly chosen by that guy to prop up as the figurehead of their cult. I don't think there's anything special about her.

It seems more likely that she became a shifter due to eating Reiners and Bertholdt's friend.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
ohh shit son that makes sense.

So when they pushed her off the wall she died and turned into a titan but after eating that dude she can go between titan and human form?

fuck son this is some crazy shit

So when they pushed her off the wall she died and turned into a titan but after eating that dude she can go between titan and human form?

That's not how I saw it. They stab them and then throw them off the wall. Blood comes out, Titan form ensues as per usual.

DarkKyo

That's not how I saw it. They stab them and then throw them off the wall. Blood comes out, Titan form ensues as per usual.

QZrkZqY.png

Look @ what the soldier is holding in his right hand.

I think that there should be different type of serums:
1 - Normal Titan (Ymir)
2 - Night Titan (the ones created by the beast titan, this might not be an injection since I seriously doubt that the beast titan went injecting each villager)
3 - Shifter

And if a normal titan eats a shifter it becomes a shifter. Although it is implied that Eren eat someone I doubt that it made him a shifter (the cadet that died when Eren first transformed off-screen?), most likely his father injected him with shifter serum.

I found interesting that people don't age while in titan form.

Tuck

I think that there should be different type of serums:
1 - Normal Titan (Ymir)
2 - Night Titan (the ones created by the beast titan, this might not be an injection since I seriously doubt that the beast titan went injecting each villager)
3 - Shifter

And if a normal titan eats a shifter it becomes a shifter. Although it is implied that Eren eat someone I doubt that it made him a shifter (the cadet that died when Eren first transformed off-screen?), most likely his father injected him with shifter serum.

I found interesting that people don't age while in titan form.
Oh that's right - the beast titan turning those villagers into titans would suggest another way besides injecting. Unless he really did somehow just inject all of the villagers... At once...? Nah that can't be it.

LordOfChaos

See above - they seem to make regular, non shifting humans into titans as punishment before throwing them off a wall, with titan juice in the syringe. Also could be using humans as an alligator mote of sorts.

The cult didn't do the transforming, the military people that found them did, and Ymir literally has nothing special about her blood, they chose an orphan who would stick to the lie to get out of a shitty life.

Ymir turning back after eating Reiner and Berts pal indicates you turn back into a human shifter if you eat a shifter, thus all the titans we see eating humans don't turn back. One ate Eren but I guess it's because he didn't' die.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I've only read the manga off and on, but Ymir's fleshed out backstory, that got shown here, comes later in the manga right?

Jellie

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I've only read the manga off and on, but Ymir's fleshed out backstory, that got shown here, comes later in the manga right?

Right now the manga is on chapter 94 with the next chapter coming out next week. The Ymir backstory was shown in chapter

I think it's ok to say this but I'll delete if somebody disagrees. It's just saying what chapter it was shown in the manga.

CrunchyB

So that devil looking ass beast thing in the end credits is the king?

This? No I think it's the first titan, or maybe the god of titans or whatever. It doesn't look very human at all. But it's the first thing shown so it's obviously an important event.

This dude looks like a king. And again, wtf at the children. I just noticed they are crying! Given the fact that everyone is looking sad and the corpse is wearing similar jewelry as the king and children, are they eating a deceased relative?

Kyuur

This? No I think it's the first titan, or maybe the god of titans or whatever. It doesn't look very human at all. But it's the first thing shown so it's obviously an important event.

This dude looks like a king. And again, wtf at the children. I just noticed they are crying! Given the fact that everyone is looking sad and the corpse is wearing similar jewelry as the king and children, are they eating a deceased relative?

Rewatched the ending this past episode and tried to piece things together a bit. It's really fantastic and spurs the imagination.

The first scene has something to do with why Christa is important, I have no doubt. Seems to be a blond woman (presumably of the church, or the cult from Ymir's flashback by the clothes?) making some sort of ancient pact with a (presumably important) titan figure. Next scene has the giant titan woman accompanied by thunder (ala shifters), perhaps the blond woman gained shifting ability?

It does look like the children are eating the organs of the dead person next. No ideas on why! In the next one we see titans coming out of the ocean, which kind of fucks with any "titans are just meat mechs, not their own race!" theory. My guess was that they're some sort of divine retribution for the cannibalism committed by the kingdom in the previous scene. A bunch of carnage and then titans rising out of the ground ala Ymir. I guess the ocean ones could have done the same thing and just have been from ages past before the ocean covered that area?

Last scene seems to have the cult and other titans worshiping the woman titan from the beginning. In the second scene it showed the kingdom soldiers so maybe she led a titan army against the kingdom? Would explain latter kingdoms animosity against the cult.

Right now the manga is on chapter 94 with the next chapter coming out next week. The Ymir backstory was shown in chapter

I think it's ok to say this but I'll delete if somebody disagrees. It's just saying what chapter it was shown in the manga.

As long you don't spill the context around how it's revealed I think it's fair game. I thought as much. I didn't read this current arc being animated, but I did read some of the later arcs so I thought something was off, so that clears it up.

Wow that's a really early adaptation. Maybe since they knew people are hungry for answers that aren't coming this season they inserted her backstory and loaded it with clues for people who want to dig.

FluxWaveZ

Dunno why they chose to reveal that this episode. Kinda seems stupidly out of place in the grand scheme of things.

What, Ymir's backstory? This whole episode is about her inner conflict and motivations. If that's what you're talking about, it doesn't seem out of place at all to elaborate on her backstory.

What, Ymir's backstory? This whole episode is about her inner conflict and motivations. If that's what you're talking about, it doesn't seem out of place at all to elaborate on her backstory.

And to be honest, I think it was better serviced here than how it was actually revealed in the manga.

Jellie

Wow that's a really early adaptation. Maybe since they knew people are hungry for answers that aren't coming this season they inserted her backstory and loaded it with clues for people who want to dig.
Yeah it's very recent stuff hence why all the manga readers are surprised. If people look at it closely you can find a lot of information on the series. Obviously manga readers know what they are seeing but it's quite subtle for anime onlies but I've seen some accurate speculation in various places.

It does make me wonder if they will reach that part in the anime if they are giving answers this early or if it's done by choice.

You can also see the walls being built by the collossal titans in that ending theme. So there are probably tons of shifters.

How are the other towns keeping the titans out? Do they have walls built by collossal titans too? How come the ones in the walls don't know the other towns exist? I guess that's where the church of the wall comes in. They probably became isolationist because they probably thought the titans are god/heaven's punishment for whatever sins they (or humanity in general) committed.

Edit: I'm surprised not many are talking about the Annie and Berth ship lol.

So much intrigue! I love it!

All this other new mystery/answers/more mystery stuff going on I'd almost forgotten about the basement and key etc! lol.

Those ending credits are so creepy. XD

Reiner and Bertholdt transforming scene is so good! I knew it from manga and have watched the scene more than 20 times and still gives me goosebumps!

This episode was really great at opening up the floodgates for speculation. Ymir getting tossed off the wall and seeing the flash of light from the girl thrown just before her was very subtly done. I didn't even see the syringe until someone posted the screencap on this page.

And she dropped the "I was wandering for 60 years" bomb which suggests that Titan form is a sort of immortality.

She's still a piece of shit though.

I did have a bit of fridge logic after watching this: the titans in the wall are still alive, and they're people, people who probably didn't volunteer, and they've been stuck there for over 100 years. Fucking hell, that's horrible.

CrunchyB

I did have a bit of fridge logic after watching this: the titans in the wall are still alive, and they're people, people who probably didn't volunteer, and they've been stuck there for over 100 years. Fucking hell, that's horrible.

Yeah, and there are probably thousands of them and each is only slightly smaller than the colossal titan. WTF. Aside from the mysterious wall-growing process, how do you even organize that may titans to stand neatly in a row?

dickroach

Yeah, and there are probably thousands of them and each is only slightly smaller than the colossal titan. WTF. Aside from the mysterious wall-growing process, how do you even organize that may titans to stand neatly in a row?
Probably the same way you get hundreds of kids to fight the Titans, even though it's proven to be fruitless: tell them they're helping.

I can't wait till we actually get the answer 50 years from now

LordOfChaos

Reiner and Bertholdt transforming scene is so good! I knew it from manga and have watched the scene more than 20 times and still gives me goosebumps!

Last scene interpolated to 60fps. I've watched it so many times, lol.

https://streamable.com/iowkq

The actual fight after was good, but this amount of hype building and emotion was amazing.
Erens tears and voice acting were done so well it may have been the first time I actually liked him. Mikasa wasting no seconds in trying to murderize everyone was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom