• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It felt like standard anime humor to me. I'm okay with that scattered places within the show, it's in the same boat as that guy who keeps biting his tongue whenever he rides a horse.

That dude is hilarious. I fell of the toilet when I saw that! I loved those unexpected moments. That was really great!

Watching episode 18 and having that female titan jump out like in the forest that freaked my friend out of her seat. The whole chase scene reminded me of something similar to Jurassic Park, but I would totally pay to see Shingeki no Kyojin done in 3D.

Oyashiro

Started watching this anime sometime last week and Im all caught up now. I must admit, after hearing how crazy people were over it, I really was expecting something so much better.

This is a decent show at best. The pacing is awful, characters are some of the worst I've seen in a long time. I do give them props for the animation and, admittedly, the show does keep me wondering what's coming next. However, I find myself skipping through half of every episode because it's just people bitching for 12 minutes about how they can't do x, they will never defeat the Titans, then someone gives a generic anime speech about staying together and how resilient humans are and the bitching people suddenly have hope until next episode.

Emwitus

Started watching this anime sometime last week and Im all caught up now. I must admit, after hearing how crazy people were over it, I really was expecting something so much better.

This is a decent show at best. The pacing is awful, characters are some of the worst I've seen in a long time. I do give them props for the animation and, admittedly, the show does keep me wondering what's coming next. However, I find myself skipping through half of every episode because it's just people bitching for 12 minutes about how they can't do x, they will never defeat the Titans, then someone gives a generic anime speech about staying together and how resilient humans are and the bitching people suddenly have hope until next episode.
Same. And it's so freaking hard to tell the characters apart. In guessing this why I appreciate anime like naruto. Gotta at least color code you're characters a bit more.

Soma

Welp, as expected (episode 19 spoilers)
the flashback took far longer than it needed to be. :/

Thanks Studio Wit!

To be fair, I didn't care for this part in the manga either but still.

Branduil

Welp, as expected (episode 19 spoilers)
the flashback took far longer than it needed to be. :/

Thanks Studio Wit!

To be fair, I didn't care for this part in the manga either but still.

This adaptation has been mostly faithful to the manga, for better and for worse. The only time they
changed the positioning of the flashback scenes was when they moved the training scenes to episodes 3 and 4. They should have done that here as well, but I guess they wanted to get into the female titan arc before everyone dropped the show.

Velti

Neo Member
That dude is hilarious. I fell of the toilet when I saw that! I loved those unexpected moments. That was really great!

I really had NO IDEA what was happening there- I thought he'd gotten stabbed or hit by an arrow or something. The complete lack of reaction later told me it was just him biting his tongue or something... nice to have some confirmation. :p

Velti

Neo Member

It's basically a roller coaster of quality, from the unimaginably bad to rainbow-vomitingly good. All of us fans have a form of Stockholm Syndrome, and stick around for our favorite characters and the rare moments of perfection. Personally, I enjoy how the show just keeps me guessing. You're never quite sure what will happen/who will bite it next!

I wonder if they'll clean everything up for the DVD release... I'd consider buying that, if it were "finished" and re-cut.

Most of us seem to agree that the last few episodes have been of superior quality to the former.

EDIT:
Shit! I did it again!

I don't understand how they got boned for time. I mean the trailer for this thing came out last year, and it was full of clips from the first 5 or 6 episodes. They shouldn't be on a South Park schedule or anything, making each episode in the 6 days before air.

kirblar

I don't understand how they got boned for time. I mean the trailer for this thing came out last year, and it was full of clips from the first 5 or 6 episodes. They shouldn't be on a South Park schedule or anything, making each episode in the 6 days before air.
Different teams likely handle different parts of the episodes, and the logjam's likely the city action sequences.

duckroll

It wasn't full of clips from the "first 5 or 6 episodes". The trailer was made specifically as a trailer, before production on the actual show started. It's basically the anime version of a CG Trailer for videogames, except since anime is entirely a video medium, they could use the same scenes from the trailer in the actual series as well. :p

Branduil

It wasn't full of clips from the "first 5 or 6 episodes". The trailer was made specifically as a trailer, before production on the actual show started. It's basically the anime version of a CG Trailer for videogames, except since anime is entirely a video medium, they could use the same scenes from the trailer in the actual series as well. :p

Some of the scenes did change for the series. They kept the same cel animations, but
the armored titan is painted differently in episode 2, and the CG Trost is different in the shot where Eren gets blown off the wall.

Why would they build something particularly for the trailer, with plans of designing more stuff around it for the series, instead of building the full scene for the series and taking a piece out for the trailer? Seems completely ass-backwards.

duckroll

Why would they build something particularly for the trailer, with plans of designing more stuff around it for the series, instead of building the full scene for the series and taking a piece out for the trailer? Seems completely ass-backwards.

I don't think you understand me when I said "before actual production began". There was a press conference to announce the series, they wanted a trailer for it, so they had to make a trailer. Not hard to understand. It happens all the time.

Right, but like... ok so with a live-action movie, typically the trailer is made from clips of completed scenes. Not clips they filmed briefly with plans to expand later. I know the process is different with live-action and anime, but... I dunno, whatever. I guess it's like the preview clips for the Eva Rebuild having nothing to do with the actual film, except with AoT they didn't scrap the clips, they used them.

duckroll

Right, but like... ok so with a live-action movie, typically the trailer is made from clips of completed scenes. Not clips they filmed briefly with plans to expand later. I know the process is different with live-action and anime, but... I dunno, whatever. I guess it's like the preview clips for the Eva Rebuild having nothing to do with the actual film, except with AoT they didn't scrap the clips, they used them.

When teaser trailers are released before filming starts on a live action movie, they do the same thing. It'll be voice over + some CG stuff or backgrounds, etc. The difference is, with a movie you generally have over a year to market a film, from announcement to filming to post production to release. There's generally a teaser, then 3-4 trailers, tons of interviews, etc.

Let's not forget another factor here - it's very common in animation for the core team to come up with a proof of concept video for a series before entering full production, as a sample of the tone and style they want the series to be in, especially when something is going to be heavily contracted out.

dan2026

Decent episode all round.

Flashback was entertaining enough.

Seeing the female titan getting slapped a little payback was nice too.

FluxWaveZ

I'm guessing the reason Captain Levi was being so secretive about the plan was so that
the intelligent, female titan wouldn't hear of it and be able to avoid the trap
?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 19: Okay, this can be boiled down pretty simply, when the focus was on the
Female Titan
chase things were good. When they decided to take a ten minute detour with a flashback that revealed a few interesting tidbits, but mostly retread the Eren vs. Regular Human dynamic that we already covered things got almost unbearably tedious. Next week looks rather keen though.

I hope they don't spend ages talking and cut whoever is inside of that female titan ASAP.

Surely after seeing how powerfull it is and seeing it struggle and try to break loose they won't fuck around and take their time!

We know it's coming, you know it's coming, godammit Eren, just bite your goddamn hand and give us a proper titan v titan showdown. It's been two episodes of blue-balling now. That said, I was more ok with a bloody flashback scene in the middle of this than I thought I'd be; I guess the fact there was actually a neat little arc in the thing(the survey squad learning to trust Eren) made it more bearable. But seriously, if Eren doesn't titan-up next ep I'll be personally offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom