• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the episode. The ending came before I was ready for it. Sawano's vocal track during Levi's (Levy's?) disappointed me, though. I'm not sure if its appeared somewhere else before.

It did seem like an awesome lot of talking, but I felt they nailed the tension.

SO Ive been watching this...and I dont really watch a lot of anime...but what the fuck is with the violence in this show....its pretty fucking gratuitous.... its odd having a show that jokes about character always eating food and farting and then have another scene where a guy blows his brains out....

I like the story, but the fucked up violence is a huge turn off

Mood whiplash. Happens in a lot of stuff.

The manga is even worse with the violence/gore. Some of the stuff isn't even implied but outright shown. Be glad you aren't reading that.

kirblar

SO Ive been watching this...and I dont really watch a lot of anime...but what the fuck is with the violence in this show....its pretty fucking gratuitous.... its odd having a show that jokes about character always eating food and farting and then have another scene where a guy blows his brains out....

I like the juxtaposition, actually. The series seems to have a big thematic emphasis on the gulf between war-time vs peace-time, and its a good way of illustrating it.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 7-9

iioJSxtQETLoa.jpg
i9M1MdbNft6Ie.jpg

I forgot to review 7 and 8 before, so whatever.

The action continues to be pretty dang good, while the non-action scenes suffer a lot due to all the outsourcing and time crunch. The direction is still pretty good, and in some ways improved from the original, especially the scene where
Mikasa thinks she's about to die
. The ending of episode 8 also had quite a bit of additional tension. Hopefully the animators don't die before the end of this arc.

Jigolo

Good episode aside from Eren using Gear Third to summon Susanoo

That's some bad pandering and really killed the mood they were going for

lmao I didn't even think of that.

3 questions: When the fuck during the time skip did he meet with his pop and obtain the key?
Did Erens dad know that he had that power since before he left in the first episode?
Or was that injection what gave Eren the power?

That flashback was confusing to me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
lmao I didn't even think of that.

3 questions: When the fuck during the time skip did he meet with his pop and obtain the key?
Did Erens dad know that he had that power since before he left in the first episode?
Or was that injection what gave Eren the power?

Sometime after his mother died.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Episode 9

That was alright I guess. Some cool action, some cool transformation animation, lots of stills. Still hate the soundtrack. Sawano can blow me honestly. Never liked his work. Way too pseudo-Hollywood-trying-too-hard style of music for me, and the vocal BGMs all suck. Hagi is pretty moe. <3
I don't even know who that fucker is. Aside from the main three, this show really undersells its cast, up to the point that I celebrate when a character gets eaten.

I think this episode was really good and we finally get to fill in some of the blank spots that were introduced in the earlier episodes especially Eren's dream,
I was kind of hoping that they would reveal everything with the injection his dad gave him but its off the secret basement we go.
Was that censorship in the flashback of the first transformation or just some messed up blur? o___o

Bullza2o

This anime has been amazing, but it's my first time posting here I think.

So how far is the anime going to go? I understand the manga doesn't seem to be ending soon, and I think I've read that this will go all the way to the end of the story. Most likely wrong though.

episode 9 spoilers

where were levi and his squad in the beginning of this episode? where is hans? levi looked like he already arrived to trost but then he said something about the titans moving north toward the town. so they were in a city outside of this wall? kinda confused about peoples location, especially where hans and those titans stuck to the wall are.

duckroll

episode 9 spoilers

where were levi and his squad in the beginning of this episode? where is hans? levi looked like he already arrived to trost but then he said something about the titans moving north toward the town. so they were in a city outside of this wall? kinda confused about peoples location, especially where hans and those titans stuck to the wall are.

I think you're only confused because everything in the show looks the same. It's impossible to tell any place apart from another without captions because they all look like they could be the same city. Lol.

Man what a great episode, I was kinda expecting to be disappointed since 8 was so good.

I just have one question, what's up with Eren's dad? Where is he/what's he up to?

Branduil

I think you're only confused because everything in the show looks the same. It's impossible to tell any place apart from another without captions because they all look like they could be the same city. Lol.

Yeah this is a problem in the original manga as well. But they did say that they were outside of the wall.

cj_iwakura

Are there other cities outside of the walls? The training episode showed trainees that seemed to be from all over the place.

Erigu

Yeah, the TV show fucked that part up.
"Nah, you couldn't possibly have met your father. That was just a dream.
-Yeah, I guess you're right. *pockets his father's key*"

Just forget that exchange.
He did meet his father shortly after the fall of the wall, and that's how he got the key. But he can't remember how it went down exactly (
because of that injection, as said in today's episode
).

yeah, seriously. every street and housing complex look the same in that world. i guess titans ate all the talented architects.

lost me in the manga too but i just accepted it and moved on.

duckroll

Are there other cities outside of the walls? The training episode showed trainees that seemed to be from all over the place.

If people keep asking this, I don't think it has been made clear enough what the "walls" actually are. It's not like there is one mega-city inside the first wall, leaning on the second wall, and another mega city within that.

There is a huge amount of space within a given wall, and there are various villages, cities, forests, lakes, and open plains like any large geographical location. When the city in the first episode was breached, that is one tiny breach in Wall Maria into a city which is attached to the wall. When they evacuated the citizens from that city in ep2, they're not evacuating them behind the next wall, it was just a smaller supporting barrier to deter the Titans, and it didn't work because the Armored Titan destroyed it anyway. The main plan was to evacuate everyone with the ships all the way to a much further point where they go behind Wall Rose. Citizens from all the other villages and cities all around the region between Wall Maria and Wall Rose were also evacuated into the territory around Wall Rose.

Because of one tiny breach, the entire enormous region between Wall Maria and Wall Rose becomes endangered, and had to be abandoned. Within Wall Rose itself, there are also various villages, cities, forests, lakes, and open plains like any large geographical location. There's just less space because all the territory outside have now been abandoned and lost.

Levi's scouting force left Wall Rose to go into the abandoned territory between Wall Maria and Wall Rose. That is why there were cities and stuff, because they're in the territory they previously abandoned. No one can go to the territory outside of Wall Maria anymore, because people can't even get to Wall Maria at this point. There's too much ground between Wall Rose and Wall Maria, and too many Titans, since it has been 5 years.

GrizzNKev

Banned
If people keep asking this, I don't think it has been made clear enough what the "walls" actually are. It's not like there is one mega-city inside the first wall, leaning on the second wall, and another mega city within that.

There is a huge amount of space within a given wall, and there are various villages, cities, forests, lakes, and open plains like any large geographical location. When the city in the first episode was breached, that is one tiny breach in Wall Maria into a city which is attached to the wall. When they evacuated the citizens from that city in ep2, they're not evacuating them behind the next wall, it was just a smaller supporting barrier to deter the Titans, and it didn't work because the Armored Titan destroyed it anyway. The main plan was to evacuate everyone with the ships all the way to a much further point where they go behind Wall Rose. Citizens from all the other villages and cities all around the region between Wall Maria and Wall Rose were also evacuated into the territory around Wall Rose.

Because of one tiny breach, the entire enormous region between Wall Maria and Wall Rose becomes endangered, and had to be abandoned. Within Wall Rose itself, there are also various villages, cities, forests, lakes, and open plains like any large geographical location. There's just less space because all the territory outside have now been abandoned and lost.

Levi's scouting force left Wall Rose to go into the abandoned territory between Wall Maria and Wall Rose. That is why there were cities and stuff, because they're in the territory they previously abandoned. No one can go to the territory outside of Wall Maria anymore, because people can't even get to Wall Maria at this point. There's too much ground between Wall Rose and Wall Maria, and too many Titans, since it has been 5 years.

It's because proper explanations for these details are only barely touched on in the actual events of the story, and usually end up left in those bookend diagrams. People watching the anime can't be bothered to read them, and they make a whole lot more sense in the manga, since, you know, you're already reading.

Kiryu

So Eren still have to go to that basement with his key to unlock and... get more power to control? Is it Eren's Father "Secret Titan's blood" lab...? (I don't read Manga so this is just speculation)

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

They show the explanation at like the beginning of every episode. When 1 wall is breached, it contaminates the outer circumference, but that outer ring is not 1 giant space of housing, it's many smaller sections.

They're trying to reclaim their lost territory, not venture out in to the wild.

Walls_zpsfb0a30b1.png

duckroll

So Eren still have to go to that basement with his key to unlock and... get more power to control? Is it Eren's Father "Secret Titan's blood" lab...? (I don't read Manga so this is just speculation)

The basement contains the secret sauce for the PS4.

Cloudy

Banned
Ep 9 was amazing. Love the scene they added for Levi and his team. I don't remember that from the manga. What an awesome display of badassery

Levi is a good character (though not as great and amazing as Jean)

Oh he's way better than Jean and the best character in the story IMO

RELIGHT

Banned
First post ITT.

Had no idea GAF followed Attack on Titan. I've watched all the episodes through episode 9. Haven't/Won't read the manga.

My Reaction after episode 9

tumblr_mg66s9uMHj1rmiy8no1_500.gif

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! It's amazing how this show continues to be so awesome! Who was that badass in the beginning? He's even better than Mikasa! Also Eren! Oh MAN! So AWESOME how they're bringing together what happened in Episode 1 and 2. AMAZING! I'm so excited! HYPE HYPE HYPE! "They're the prey and we're the hunters!"

carlton-dance-gif.gif

So will this mean that later:
Eren will be believed to be dead, and he must let the world think that he is dead, until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him?

Because that's what I'm thinking right now.

Kettch

Since people are curious about the world, here are all of the commercial separaters that have aired so far which contain a good bit of information. They haven't shown one of the more interesting bits though. I'm not sure if they've mentioned it elsewhere, so I'll spoiler tag but it's just an explanation of the city setup, not really spoilery:
The 4 bulging areas around each wall that you can see in images 2 and 3 below are major cities. One of which was Eren's hometown, one of which is also under attack now (Trost). The entirety of the wall is too long to actually patrol and it's been mentioned that titans are attracted to large groups of humans, so these cities were setup to lure titans to them where they can be properly defended against (many perks are given to live there, as no one sensible would otherwise). These cities actually have a double wall, which is why the Colossal titan broke down the outside gate and then the Armored titan broke through the gate that goes from the city to the inside of the actual wall. This is why they're all so concerned about the Armored titan right now, as so far they've just lost one city, but the Armored titan breaking through the inner wall would mean they'll lose another 1/3 of humanity's territory.

(Sorry for the crappy screenshots)
Episode 1-1
Episode 1-2
Episode 2-1
Episode 2-2
Episode 3-1
Episode 3-2
Episode 4-1
Episode 4-2
Episode 5-1
Episode 5-2
Episode 6-1
Episode 6-2
Episode 7-1
Episode 7-2
Episode 8-1
Episode 8-2
Episode 9-1
Episode 9-2

Soriku

Yeah the anime doesn't make it very clear. All you see is Titans coming out from a plain, but then it makes it look like they're coming from the very edge/outside Wall Maria. But then it wouldn't make sense for soldiers to be there behind the Titans becase the Titans already occupy Maria, The way the anime makes it seems is that Wall Maria is just one city, then there's gate or something that leads into another city in Rose, then another one in Sina.

Anyway, episode 9. This episode just flew by, dat tension. A Titan needs to eat that bearded fuck already. Levi looks cool.

Also I liked the guitar intro to that one new vocal song. Meh.

In reality it's less mainstream shounen and more of a horror/shounen. Which is why I was a little surprised when I first heard this was getting an anime adaptation. It tries to hit that air of despair that things like Berserk do so well. Funny how Berserk is often criticized for getting more shounen-esque as it goes on... Might not be the best pairing of genres.

Mikasa sucks. She is the typical shounen "here is a strong female character!" who is actually not strong at all. She has very little emotion or personality, because that is seemingly a requirement to be considered a strong female in shounen anime. Her entire life revolves around a man who she wants to bone. Literally every thought and action is taken with him in mind. So while she protects him and kicks ass, she's really kind of pathetic.

She doesn't want to bone him, come on. After her family died and then foster family died, he's literally all she has left. She was about to have her family murdered for the 3rd time. Given her emotional scarring, the attachment isn't inconceivable. That said, it is kind of pathetic.

HeelPower

Dear Lord! I was bored today and decided to check this out....I have had no past experience with the manga...I just watched 9 episodes in one sitting.

Movie Quality Animation , Fantastic Pacing , Fantastic character design and writing...Incredible world design...Episode 1 literally shook my core..Extremely emotional and human characters and events..and then it just doesn't let up episode after episode...

I know I am just praising and not saying anything substantial but this is quite possibly one of the best "things" I have ever watched...EVER.

Quick question : Will 26 episodes actually the complete story ? SO much has happened in this 9 episodes that I doubt this anime will be as long as any of the big three.Just curious no spoilers wanted of course.

Dear Lord! I was bored today and decided to check this out....I have had no past experience with the manga...I just watched 9 episodes in one sitting.

Movie Quality Animation , Fantastic Pacing , Fantastic character design and writing...Incredible world design...Episode 1 literally shook my core..Extremely emotional and human characters and events..and then it just doesn't let up episode after episode...

I know I am just praising and not saying anything substantial but this is quite possibly one of the best "things" I have ever watched...EVER.

Quick question : Will 26 episodes actually the complete story ? SO much has happened in this 9 episodes that I doubt this anime will be as long as any of the big three.Just curious no spoilers wanted of course.

It looks nice and everything, but lets not get carried away. I give as much as "movie quality backgrounds in the first two episodes".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom