• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roubjon

It doesn't help that Annie is the only one who didn't go to the Survey Corps.

Yeah, that too.

I like how
Armin figured out how there are people inside of the "special" titans all by himself. I feel like most of the time in these shows the characters are clueless and don't realize certain obvious things. I was pretty surprised honestly.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, I was thinking of who the titan could be. For some reason
Eren's mom was a possibility(Lolololol), but yeah, it's definitely Annie.

Soma

Ah the dreaded return of the recap!

Despite that, this was probably one of the best episodes of the entire series. One of the few to really convey that sense of tension and dread, and I feel like I got a better understanding of the situation here than from the manga. Great animation, think I spotted maybe one still usage, and I appreciated the focus on Armin through out most of episode.

Good stuff. Looking forward to how they handle the next one.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 17

ibdkSo8aYqp0Xc.jpg
ijGD55ftyZ7es.jpg

ITSHAPPENING.gif(don't post this)

Good stuff. They adapted this part about as well as I could have hoped for, the horror-like atmosphere was palpable and the action scenes were dynamic and interesting. They've also managed to keep away the Unfinished Animation Demon for another week.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 17: Yea, Linked Horizon has really grown on me these past few weeks. Anyway, we finally return to no only the action but also the extended recapping. Indeed we see the Survey Corp taking down some normal titans when the new scourge
The Female Titan Shifter
appears.
Yea, for those worried about this becoming a mech show, it looks like your fears were justified.
We see this new threat wipe out an entire flank of soldiers while Amin goes into deduction mode and drops a lot of information.
By the way, pay attention to the conversation Armin was having, either Renier or Jean is a traitor based on the revelations Armin had about where Eren's location is. Indeed somebody seems to have been running some counter ops.
Anyway, nice to see the action in this show once again, and nice to see Armin making himself useful.

It was mentioned in a previous episode that none other than the command element
was given clear details of Eren's location

Barzul

What an episode, makes me want to read the Manga, but I wouldn't know where to start. Armin is a boss. Anyone know if this is going to be a one season anime? I hear the Manga is still going on.

Nasser

I don't read the manga, but it's too obvious who the female titan is.

What an episode, makes me want to read the Manga, but I wouldn't know where to start. Armin is a boss. Anyone know if this is going to be a one season anime? I hear the Manga is still going on.

Yes, the manga is still ongoing, but it's monthly. If you want to start reading the manga you should start from the beginning, but if you want to continue from where this episode left off, start from chapter 24.

I really want to read the manga but I've got a feeling that reading it would ruin the enjoyment I get from the anime.

Barzul

I really want to read the manga but I've got a feeling that reading it would ruin the enjoyment I get from the anime.
Yeah that's what has me hesitant, happened to me with Bleach, couldn't watch the anime anymore once I started the Manga.

I don't read the manga, but it's too obvious who the female titan is.

The eye-color and some parts of the facial structure do give it away.

You probably won't have a choice once the anime is over. I mean, there may be another season of the anime down the line, but for the immediate future, it'll be the manga or nothing. Given the series popularity, the publisher of the English manga has moved up the release schedule so all ten current volumes of the manga will be out in the US by the end of December.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda of agree with the rest of the cast that Armin does have it. He's just a bit creepy.

Nobody knows the future of the anime, but it's likely we'll at least get another season considering how well it's selling.

However, the manga probably won't be ending any time soon, and since it is monthly, it's not really feasible to keep getting new seasons in a timely manner. The anime has already covered something like 2 years worth of material within a few months, so the best we could probably hope for are yearly 13 episode seasons, but I don't think that will happen.

JulianImp

Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 17: Yea, Linked Horizon has really grown on me these past few weeks. Anyway, we finally return to no only the action but also the extended recapping. Indeed we see the Survey Corp taking down some normal titans when the new scourge
The Female Titan Shifter
appears.
Yea, for those worried about this becoming a mech show, it looks like your fears were justified.
We see this new threat wipe out an entire flank of soldiers while Amin goes into deduction mode and drops a lot of information.
By the way, pay attention to the conversation Armin was having, either Renier or Jean is a traitor based on the revelations Armin had about where Eren's location is. Indeed somebody seems to have been running some counter ops.
Anyway, nice to see the action in this show once again, and nice to see Armin making himself useful.

Spoilerrific reply to the spoilers:
After Reiner managed to get out of the female titan's grasp and picked Armin up, there was smoke coming from him, possibly hinting that he has titan powers as well. The fact that he got the closest to her face also means he was the one who had the better chance to let her know where Eren was supposed to be, hinting that the human-titans are working together to get to Eren as well (kill? capture? something else entirely? I think we can only guess for now).

Oh, so the manga's released monthly? That probably throws all chances of releasing anime seasons continously down the drain, sadly. I haven't read the manga, but I think I've always liked watching anime rather than reading its manga equivalent.

As others have said, the enemy's way too easy to recognize, IMO. It's one of the reasons I don't like how we were now left with way too few relevant characters, since it isn't like they have enough people available to make them conveniently go away right before a suspicious event, increasing the number of possible culprits/accomplices and making things a bit less obvious... this also got me thinking (speculation based on ep17 spoilers):
If Annie and Reinz are human-titans, then they could've used their powers to kill the test subjects without spending any gas, therefore avoiding suspicion from the obvious forced gas check the higher-ups would do once they deduced the perpetrators would've needed their 3D maneuver gear to escape when they wouldn't have had a reason to use any gas otherwise.

I haven't even seen episode 17 yet, and my track record on predicting stuff in tv shows is not so much awful as it is practically nonexistent, but ever since my girlfriend came up with the theory, I've been operating under the assumption that
all the titans used to be humans.

The more I think about it, the more I think that's almost the only direction they could take the mythology. Modern-day humans biologically engineered the titan syrum that gives the ability to turn into a titan, Eren style. All titans are far lighter than they should be, as per the experiments in episode 15, because all of them were originally formed solely from the bodies of ordinary humans.

The ability to become a titan on command quickly became an extremely desirable symbol of power and virility, given that titans are immortal, indestructible, and self-sufficient. More and more men sought out the power to become titans and the status that came with it. Many people thought that titans were the future, a Nietzsche-Übermensch style leap in human evolution. Hubris abounded, and no one was willing to consider the danger inherent in repeatedly giving your human body and mind over to another "you," a far more primal and violent and powerful creature.

The turn of the tides started small, when a few humans, those who had spent the most time as titans, lost control of their titan forms and began eating other humans. Once they were finally subdued, it became clear that the titans had partially absorbed the bodies of their "pilots" and taken control. Not long after that, a mass pandemic of human-titans losing control swept every corner of the world. The terror of being eaten alive by the feral titans, combined with the general ineffectiveness of even missiles and modern artillery against the titans, led to the collapse of every world military power, zombie apocalypse-style.

The remaining ordinary humans banded together with those titan-empowered humans who still had control over their titan forms, and a plan was hatched. Everyone who could manage it converged on the most fertile and self-sustaining plot of land available, and the human-titans began construction of the three great walls. Some human-titans would guard against the feral titans, while others worked night and day to build the walls. They built multiple walls in concentric circles, just in case they were overwhelmed before they could complete the outermost wall. When a human-titan went feral, his compatriots would kill him. Only pure-blood humans were allowed to settle within the walls; all humans with the power to become titans were resigned to their fate. The three walls were just barely completed before the last remaining human-titans were overwhelmed by their feral brethren.

Inside the walls, the humans were utterly convinced that humanity could not defeat the titans by any means they then possessed, and were especially certain that it would be suicide if, in the future, humans decided to try to become titans once again to combat the titans. A campaign of absolute secrecy was begun. Knowledge that humans could become titans must be eliminated; the titans must be painted for future generations as all-powerful demons, the perfect human predators, who just arrived out of nowhere one day, a judgment of God upon humanity. It became a crime punishable by death to tell anyone born after a certain year the true origin of the titans. The wallist religion was started to convince the people that God himself had given them the walls for their preservation, and that they must not foolishly venture outside and attempt to defeat the titans. Within a few generations, all knowledge of the titans' true origins was wiped out, except in the highest echelons of the wallist religion and the military police.

Of course, the truth could not be wholly stamped out, nor did the humans succeed in wiping out all traces of the original titan syrum; Eren is proof of that.

The idea that human-controlled titans built the walls explains how humanity was able to construct such a perfect fortress even while being wiped out by the titans. It gives an actual plausible motivation to the military police and the wallists when they want Eren killed. Rather than just being ridiculous and implausible reactionaries, they are instead the most informed people in the bunch. They know that humans turning into titans is how humanity was almost exterminated in the first place; they know that Eren will eventually lose control of his titan form. They are not going to let humanity go down that road again.

It explains why the titans weigh so little, and why the backs of their necks are their only vulnerable spot (to survive, they still need the now vestigial and atrophied but living bodies of the humans that gave them life in the first place). It gives a cool double meaning to that one guy's question when he asks Eren if he knows who the enemy really is: it means both that the military police are Eren's enemy, and that the titans were all once humans.

It can't possibly be a very original theory, and I bet the manga has already proven me horribly wrong, but I'm sticking to it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Spoilerrific reply to the spoilers:
After Reiner managed to get out of the female titan's grasp and picked Armin up, there was smoke coming from him, possibly hinting that he has titan powers as well. The fact that he got the closest to her face also means he was the one who had the better chance to let her know where Eren was supposed to be, hinting that the human-titans are working together to get to Eren as well (kill? capture? something else entirely? I think we can only guess for now).

Dude. No.

It was
Titan blood. It always evaporates like that.

I haven't even seen episode 17 yet, and my track record on predicting stuff in tv shows is not so much awful as it is practically nonexistent, but ever since my girlfriend came up with the theory, I've been operating under the assumption that
all the titans used to be humans.

The more I think about it, the more I think that's almost the only direction they could take the mythology. Modern-day humans biologically engineered the titan syrum that gives the ability to turn into a titan, Eren style. All titans are far lighter than they should be, as per the experiments in episode 15, because all of them were originally formed solely from the bodies of ordinary humans.

The ability to become a titan on command quickly became an extremely desirable symbol of power and virility, given that titans are immortal, indestructible, and self-sufficient. More and more men sought out the power to become titans and the status that came with it. Many people thought that titans were the future, a Nietzsche-Übermensch style leap in human evolution. Hubris abounded, and no one was willing to consider the danger inherent in repeatedly giving your human body and mind over to another "you," a far more primal and violent and powerful creature.

The turn of the tides started small, when a few humans, those who had spent the most time as titans, lost control of their titan forms and began eating other humans. Once they were finally subdued, it became clear that the titans had partially absorbed the bodies of their "pilots" and taken control. Not long after that, a mass pandemic of human-titans losing control swept every corner of the world. The terror of being eaten alive by the feral titans, combined with the general ineffectiveness of even missiles and modern artillery against the titans, led to the collapse of every world military power, zombie apocalypse-style.

The remaining ordinary humans banded together with those titan-empowered humans who still had control over their titan forms, and a plan was hatched. Everyone who could manage it converged on the most fertile and self-sustaining plot of land available, and the human-titans began construction of the three great walls. Some human-titans would guard against the feral titans, while others worked night and day to build the walls. They built multiple walls in concentric circles, just in case they were overwhelmed before they could complete the outermost wall. When a human-titan went feral, his compatriots would kill him. Only pure-blood humans were allowed to settle within the walls; all humans with the power to become titans were resigned to their fate. The three walls were just barely completed before the last remaining human-titans were overwhelmed by their feral brethren.

Inside the walls, the humans were utterly convinced that humanity could not defeat the titans by any means they then possessed, and were especially certain that it would be suicide if, in the future, humans decided to try to become titans once again to combat the titans. A campaign of absolute secrecy was begun. Knowledge that humans could become titans must be eliminated; the titans must be painted for future generations as all-powerful demons, the perfect human predators, who just arrived out of nowhere one day, a judgment of God upon humanity. It became a crime punishable by death to tell anyone born after a certain year the true origin of the titans. The wallist religion was started to convince the people that God himself had given them the walls for their preservation, and that they must not foolishly venture outside and attempt to defeat the titans. Within a few generations, all knowledge of the titans' true origins was wiped out, except in the highest echelons of the wallist religion and the military police.

Of course, the truth could not be wholly stamped out, nor did the humans succeed in wiping out all traces of the original titan syrum; Eren is proof of that.

The idea that human-controlled titans built the walls explains how humanity was able to construct such a perfect fortress even while being wiped out by the titans. It gives an actual plausible motivation to the military police and the wallists when they want Eren killed. Rather than just being ridiculous and implausible reactionaries, they are instead the most informed people in the bunch. They know that humans turning into titans is how humanity was almost exterminated in the first place; they know that Eren will eventually lose control of his titan form. They are not going to let humanity go down that road again.

It explains why the titans weigh so little, and why the backs of their necks are their only vulnerable spot (to survive, they still need the now vestigial and atrophied but living bodies of the humans that gave them life in the first place). It gives a cool double meaning to that one guy's question when he asks Eren if he knows who the enemy really is: it means both that the military police are Eren's enemy, and that the titans were all once humans.

It can't possibly be a very original theory, and I bet the manga has already proven me horribly wrong, but I'm sticking to it.

I like your theory.

Also, yeah the female titan's identity is pretty obvious.
Also yeah I think Reiner is the one who told the female titan where Eren is, dude clearly got crushed but came out without a scratch plus it looked there was some steam leaving his body like he was healing.

Liked Armin in this episode, he really is one of the smartest people in this show.

Lingitiz

Yeah that's what has me hesitant, happened to me with Bleach, couldn't watch the anime anymore once I started the Manga.

I think that has more to do with Bleach being shit and the anime being really slowed paced. I still watch Attack on Titan every week after reading the manga and I don't think it's been ruined at all. This chapter was a bit confusing in the manga but I found it much better in anime form.

kirblar

Given the long delay between S1 and S2 (will probably make GoT season look like nothing) I'll be diving into the manga as soon as we get through S1.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I find it weird that a lot of people are part of the Reiner conspiracy.

It would kind of make sense(barely), but I pictured Armin making the connection just after seeing the Titan start running towards Eren, after coming to a full stop for a bit.

He discovered that the safest place for Eren was in the mid-back row with the other dudes. Then, after the fem-titan quasi-killed Reiner and started running towards Eren's direction, it was rather telling. IE when they were chasing it before, Armin and them could've thought it was just running towards a "random" direction, when it was running towards Eren to begin with.

Dresden

Given the long delay between S1 and S2 (will probably make GoT season look like nothing) I'll be diving into the manga as soon as we get through S1.

Well, people should hope for a long delay so they're not rushing episodes out two weeks before it's set to air.

Branduil

Well, people should hope for a long delay so they're not rushing episodes out two weeks before it's set to air.

I have to believe they're already thinking about when they'll make the next season. Hopefully they can see what everyone else sees and realize it would be better to have a much longer pre-production phase next time.

[Rant / manga spoilers]
Look, you've read the manga, so please stop acting like you haven't and "innocently" pointing stuff out like that, okay?
If there was ever a time for us manga readers to keep our goddamn mouths shut when people are speculating left and right, now would be the time.

Narag

Also yeah I think Reiner is the one who told the female titan where Eren is, dude clearly got crushed but came out without a scratch plus it looked there was some steam leaving his body like he was healing.

I like to think that in a show with good production values, I'd have picked up on that instead of assuming they fucked up again.

[Rant / manga spoilers]
Look, you've read the manga, so please stop acting like you haven't and "innocently" pointing stuff out like that, okay?

Pretty sure the thread title explicitly states "NO MANGA SPOILERS", luckily I didn't read it. Someone remove/edit this post or ban the dude.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There are things the anime has... that were kind of hard to see in the manga I guess. Can't be helped I suppose.

So I was wondering.

With the humans level of technology could they build hot air balloons?
It would be alot safer viewing from the sky.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm guessing she turned into a titan because she feels guilty about taking the military police job or something. Reiner conspiracy is nuts though.

If Reiner's a titan he must be the actor of the century, but honestly ever since I saw him I thought he looked a lot like the Armored titan.

[Rant / manga spoilers]

I didn't say anything spoilerish. I wasn't aware manager viewers were absolutely not allowed to talk about the show. If anime viewers point it out, hey that's ok, but, if I do this it's wrong. I have not spoiled anything.All I am is having fun watching the show and doing everything possible not to spoil or even give people hints about future events, aside from this episode will kick-ass.

I was told I could post here so long as I never spoiled anything or "indirectly" hinted towards anything, which I haven't nor will I. All i want to do is be allowed to pretend to be a first timer. You people get so up in arms. Apparently my post is spoilers even though they aren't spoilers, and don't predict or spoil any future events. Why not just make it a rule, manga readers are not allowed to ever talk or post in this thread?

It's insane how I'm being crucified for this. I could understand if I posted vague spoilers of a future event, or confirmed someone's post, but, I didn't do that. I didn't.

Alucrid

Banned
I didn't say anything spoilerish. I wasn't aware manager viewers were absolutely not allowed to talk about the show. If anime viewers point it out, hey that's ok, but, if I do this it's wrong. I have not spoiled anything.All I am is having fun watching the show and doing everything possible not to spoil or even give people hints about future events, aside from this episode will kick-ass.

I was told I could post here so long as I never spoiled anything or "indirectly" hinted towards anything, which I haven't nor will I. All i want to do is be allowed to pretend to be a first timer. You people get so up in arms. Apparently my post is spoilers even though they aren't spoilers, and don't predict or spoil any future events. Why not just make it a rule, manga readers are not allowed to ever talk or post in this thread?

It's insane how I'm being crucified for this. I could understand if I posted vague spoilers of a future event, or confirmed someone's post, but, I didn't do that. I didn't.

I don't even...what

Dresden

We're not quite there yet, but if you insist on staying to dribble out little hints, we can get started. It's a disservice to those unfamiliar with the manga for you to 'pretend' you're a first-time viewer--you're not posting impressions, but rather 'speculation' that's actually just knowledge of what's to come. Feel free to post about the episode proper, but don't post speculation when you know it's actually the case.

Branduil

Let's talk about how they've somehow managed to have consistent animation for two straight weeks. I'm pretty sure that's a first for the series. I think I counted one still in the episode.

They did use copious amounts of CGI, but I guess that's kind of unavoidable in today's anime industry for these kinds of scenes.

Erigu

Let's talk about how they've somehow managed to have consistent animation for two straight weeks. I'm pretty sure that's a first for the series.
A bit worried by that one shot of the titan in the preview for next week though...
(and the very first episodes of the show were all right, weren't they?)

LiK

Let's talk about how they've somehow managed to have consistent animation for two straight weeks. I'm pretty sure that's a first for the series. I think I counted one still in the episode.

They did use copious amounts of CGI, but I guess that's kind of unavoidable in today's anime industry for these kinds of scenes.

saved all the budget for it

Branduil

A bit worried by that one shot of the titan in the preview for next week though...
(and the very first episodes of the show were all right, weren't they?)

Everything in the preview looked of acceptable quality to me.

The first one and a half episodes were pretty consistent, but it started going downhill after that.

saved all the budget for it

But I don't think the problem has ever been budget, it's been time. I wonder if they've had teams working on these episodes since the beginning, since I don't think the one-week delay would be enough to get this animation quality with all the problems they were having earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom