• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

Striker

Why aren't these segments actually on TV?! I mean besides the obvious. Sharp, fast, gets a character over and moves the feud along.
It's not a Triple H recap or another segment to boost the longest running weekly episodic show in the history of television.

Kaladin

Highlights of Hardcore Justice in Pictures:

580986_10151049047151026_1293398926_n.jpg

418199_10151049047486026_961848353_n.jpg

319301_10151049043151026_1234854687_n.jpg

523320_10151049044051026_583195397_n.jpg

523224_10151049044146026_651595476_n.jpg

540420_10151049044401026_327110356_n.jpg

424346_10151049044916026_1898775593_n.jpg

215617_10151049045356026_53012288_n.jpg

530108_10151049045516026_69191689_n.jpg

283843_10151049046201026_2084335249_n.jpg

557309_10151049046241026_2128049303_n.jpg

311930_10151049046461026_2086509798_n.jpg

217786_10151049046561026_459808318_n.jpg

527232_10151049046806026_1520238224_n.jpg

So, in the interests of UNITING everyone under one Wrasslegaf banner, I want to put a small challenge out to our puro fans in the thread - can you link to...let's go with 3 of the most accessible yet enjoyable puro matches to help ease people in to the puro waters and to appreciate it more.

Probably the best course to take would be the "Famous in TNA/WWE vs Japanese wrestler" stuff.

Sure thing, although I may have gone slightly overboard...

• 3 of the more accessible puro matches;

Genichiro Tenryu vs Hulk Hogan - (SWS 12/12/91)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gkq_Udj6I4 - 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdWvZ9-O3YM - 2/2

Trained by the legendary Giant Baba and the Funks, Genichiro Tenryu has always been regarded as one of the toughest wrestlers in Japan. His Triple Crown championship success in 1989 with an amazing series of matches against Jumbo Tsuruta propelled him to stardom, yet just a year later he left to form his own promotion, the short lived Super World of Sports, which had strong ties to the WWF. For the main event of the final show of their second year, Tenryu faced Hulk Hogan at the height of his international stardom, and in front of an excited Japanese crowd he wrestled one of the best matches of his career.

Kurt Angle (c) vs Yuji Nagata - (NJPW 01/04/08) - English commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hi4rgUf74I

One of a few wrestlers to successfully make the transition from Jr. to Heavyweight and a proponent of Japanese shootstyle, Yuji Nagata is as tough as they come. So it was he that New Japan picked to face off against the Wrestling Machine Kurt Angle, the incumbent IWGP Heavyweight Champion. But while Nagata was out to reclaim the championship gold for new Japan, Kurt Angle was looking to prove himself and his abilities on the grandest stage in Japan.

The Great Sasuke, Tiger Mask IV & Shiryu vs TAKA Michinoku, Gran Naniwa & Super Delfin - (M-PRO 03/16/96)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tIVGyEPSHg

While wrestlers such as Jushin Liger innovated the modern Jr. Heavyweight style of wrestling, much is owed to the likes of Great Sasuke and his Michinoku Pro promotion for the Jr. Heavyweight style we know today in New Japan and Dragon Gate, and indeed it was this style which has had such an influence on American indy wrestling for many years now. Here's a classic M-Pro 6-man tag match from the heyday of the promotion, featuring TAKA Michinoku shortly before he left for WWF, the legendary Great Sasuke who some of you may remember from his match with TAKA on RAW in 1997, and Shiryu, who once unmasked wrestled as Kaz Hayashi, appearing in WCW as the founder of the Jung Dragons.

• 3 of the best puro matches;

Stan Hansen vs Kenta Kobashi - (AJPW 08/15/93)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlpgULnBmnE

Stan Hansen had epitomised the hard-hitting style of All Japan for over a decade at this point, while Kenta Kobashi was the brightest young star on the All Japan roster, looking for that one big breakout match that would solidify him as a top talent. This was his match, as he tries desperately to overcome the wild and crazy, half-blind Stan Hansen and avoid the deadly dangerous Western Lariat.

Naoki Sano (c) vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger - (NJPW 01/31/90)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNOEDxv7aqQ

Although the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title had seen some great wrestling from the likes of Hiroshi Hase and Owen Hart during its first four years of existence, the year-long feud between Jushin 'Thunder' Liger and Naoki Sano from '89 to '90 would set the standard for Jr. Heavyweight wrestling going forward, culminating in one of the greatest singles matches of either men's careers.

Mitsuharu Misawa (c) vs Toshiaki Kawada - (AJPW 03/06/94)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p34JujfVKkw

Former friends and tag partners, the legendary Mitsuaru Misawa and Toshiaki Kawada waged war on one another for 13 long years. The animosity began when Kawada, shorter in stature than his tag partner, became envious of Misawa's rise to the top of All Japan, beating his mentor Giant Baba and claiming Triple Crown gold. Kawada had to fight for everything he had earned, and that's the story of their rivalry. Misawa on top, Kawada fighting for respect, fighting for recognition and fighting for the gold. Everyone has their opinion on which of their meetings is the best, but for me it has to be their 1994 encounter in front of a rabid Budokan Hall crowd.

• 3 great complete puro shows;

Destiny 2005 - (NOAH 07/18/05)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0jyhPBhVbk

Headlined by the final ever meeting of the legendary Mitsuhau Misawa and his old rival Toshiaki Kawada in an epic main event match, the rest of the card features some great matches also, including; KENTA facing off against Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Naomichi Marufuji & Minoru Suzuki defending the GHC Heavyweight Tag Titles against Jun Akiyama & Makato Hashi, Takeshi Rikio defending the GHC Heavyweight Championship against New Japan's Hiroshi Tanahashi, the legendary Genichiro Tenryu taking on Yoshinari Ogawa and a brutal confrontation between Kenta Kobashi & Kensuke Sasaki.

Wrestle Kingdom 2012 - (NJPW 01/04/12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbyHEvL0Wb8

New Japan's biggest show of the year comes in January and always provides a card stacked with talent from top to bottom. 2012 was no exception. Kicking off with an excellent IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title match, the No Remorse Corps of Davey Richards & Rocky Romero defend their belts against Apollo 55 of Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi. Elsewhere, All Japan's Masakatsu Funaki & Masayuki Kono challenge Yuji Nagata & Wataru Inoue (this is the match where Nagata breaks Funaki's face and kicks off one of the most heated feuds of 2012), MVP & Shelton Benjamin take on Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi and Bad Intentions of Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson defend the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles against TenKoji of Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima. Plus, NOAH duo Naomichi Marufuji & Go Shiozaki take on Shinsuke Nakamura & Toru Yano, Keiji Mutoh returns to New Japan to face rising star Tetsuya Naito, and Hiroshi Tanahashi attempts to break Yuji Nagata's IWGP Heavyweight Title defence record as he faces Minoru Suzuki in a great main event.

Super-J Cup 1994 - (NJPW 04/16/94)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vP7ud836k

In 1994, New Japan took the unprecedented step of pushing Jr. Heavyweight wrestling to the forefront of their product for an international Jr. Heavyweight tournament, featuring some of the best talent in the world, such as Jushin Liger, Great Sasuke, Wild Pegasus (**** ******), Black Tiger II (Eddie Guerrero), El Samurai, Dean Malenko, TAKA Michinoku & Shinjiro Ohtani. The result was an amazing night of competition in front of a packed out Sumo Hall crowed, who were thrilled by the innovative action on display, and ultimately, among the tournament are 3 of the best Jr. heavyweight matches ever.

• 3 of the best puro matches of 2012;

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hirooki Goto - (05/03/12)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrcr60

After many dismal years in TNA, Kazuchika Okada returned to New Japan with a new swagger about him, challenging Hiroshi Tanahashi who had just broken Yuji Nagata's record for number of IWGP Heavyweight Title defences. Many were nonplussed by Okada being thrust immediately into the spotlight, even more when Okada defeated Tanahashi for the belt in a huge upset to kick-start 2012. But when people finally saw the match, they realised...holy shit, Okada is really good. Shockingly so. Since then he's been involved in at least 3 match of the year contenders, against Naito, Goto & Tanahashi. Of the two I've seen, this is my favourite. The challenger Hirooki Goto is a guy who has been on the cusp of greatness for some time now, but while previous pushes didn't seem to have the desired effect, in 2011 something started to stick, and Hirooki successfully channelled that to become a growing fan favourite.

Suwama vs Daisuke Sekimoto - (AJPW 02/01/12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndq_kn3sFGU

Daisuke Sekimoto, one of the most physically dominating wrestlers in Japan, had dominated the All Japan tag division for much of 2011 and 2012. Trained at the Big Japan dojo, and a veteran of multiple death-matches early on in his career, Sekimoto strayed from the traditional BJW style to develop the Strong Big Japan style, a very physical, hard-hitting style that proved a perfect counter point to BJW's usual blood and mayhem. Meanwhile, Suwama is somewhat the ace of All Japan, and although unable to dethrone Sekimoto & his partner from the tag titles, here in singles competition he looks to teach a lesson to the arrogant Big Japan invader.

Jun Akiyama (c) vs Keiji Mutoh - (AJPW 03/20/12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcncdUNngOY

Jun Akiyama's road towards the All Japan Triple Crown championship was a long and winding one. After Mitsuhara Misawa's defection from AJPW to form Pro-Wrestling NOAH, Akiyama and many other AJPW stars followed, and it looked like Akiyama would never attain the gold he had at one time seemed destined for. However, that destiny was at last realised when he made his return to All Japan competition in late 2011, defeated Suwama and ending his 420 day reign, 19 years after Akiyama had first made his All Japan debut. But it was different now. Akiyama was an outsider, and next to Kenta Kobashi, the biggest veteran star of NOAH. So on the biggest show of All Japan's year, it fell to their veteran star, the legendary Keiji Mutoh, to try and reclaim the Triple Crown for All Japan. Despite both men showing their age, Mutoh moreso than Akiyama, the resulting match was a real treat from two of the best in the business.

• 3 of the best puro matches involving WWE/TNA guys (and El Generico);

Bryan Danielson (c) vs KENTA - (NOAH 10/13/08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXflTy9weQ

There hasn't ever been much of a story to Bryan Danielson & KENTA's long-standing rivalry. They're both just awesome wrestlers, known for their superlative skill, precision strikes and deadly technique, who found themselves across the ring from each other on more than one occassion. Yet, despite that, their matches have always ticked all the boxes, have always brought the house down and shown everyone else exactly how it is done. So, when Bryan Danielson captured the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title on an ROH show, it was KENTA they turned to when Danielson made his return to Japan, and as usual, the resulting match was a hard-hitting, exciting and entertaining modern classic.

Ikuto Hidaka (c) vs Alex Shelley - (ZERO1 07/31/05)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tig9dVPCjgs

Alex Shelley had been a frequent visitor to ZERO1 over the early years of his career, but his biggest match in the promotion to date came here where he challenged Ikuto Hidaka for the ZERO1 Jr. Heavyweight Title. Hidaka, who cut his teeth in the legendary BattlArts promotion, has been one of the greatest Jr. heavyweight wrestlers on the Japanese indy circuit, and is a tough and versatile competitor. But people often forget that Alex Shelley is a very well versed wrestler also, excelling with his more technical take on the Jr. heavyweight style, and here he provides a great challenge for the more seasoned Hidaka.

El Generico vs Kota Ibushi - (DDT 05/04/12)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqp6c1

OK, El Generico's not a WWE guy - but he should be, damnit! Over the past 5 years he has solidified himself as, not just one of the best talents on the indies, but in the world. As such, when DDT's top star and one of the best Jr. heavyweight wrestlers in Japan, Kota Ibushi, returned from injury, it was El Generico who DDT chose for Ibushi to face. In front of a lively Korakuen crowd, Ibushi and Generico display some excellent wrestling and the amazing high flying that has made them two of the best in the world today.

Why aren't these segments actually on TV?! I mean besides the obvious. Sharp, fast, gets a character over and moves the feud along.

I find myself asking that with EVERY video they have online. It's crazy. They waste so much time every week with crap while pieces like that, which should be used to bridge segments together while also pushing feuds forward and improve characters, are left to rot with <100k views online. Meanwhile every show starts with 20 minute promos that only have of 5 minutes worth of discussion.

EDIT: And Bootaaay drops a puro bomb as usual. Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi might also be good for easing a TNA fan in.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bootaaay, you may have gone overboard, but I have no regrets. Your writeups help sell these. Bookmarking your post for later when I have a few hours to watch NEW SHIT, though the Hogan match I've seen, I don't mind reliving.

The "recap of what happened earlier in the show/last week/on Raw" is the absolute worst thing on WWE television right now. I don't even understand it from a business sense, they are actively encouraging people to avoid watching anything live and punishing the people who support the program all the way through.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yay for Bootaaay!!!

Naoki Sano (c) vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger - (NJPW 01/31/90)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNOEDxv7aqQ

Although the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title had seen some great wrestling from the likes of Hiroshi Hase and Owen Hart during its first four years of existence, the year-long feud between Jushin 'Thunder' Liger and Naoki Sano from '89 to '90 would set the standard for Jr. Heavyweight wrestling going forward, culminating in one of the greatest singles matches of either men's careers.

This is what got me into pro wrestling basically. Eurosport would show NJPW every week (loads of repeats). I was about 8 or 9 when they showed these when I got a television (and a C64) in my room and I would watch this while jumping from the sides onto my bed pretending to be Liger.

Good times.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yay for Bootaaay!!!

This is what got me into pro wrestling basically. Eurosport would show NJPW every week (loads of repeats). I was about 8 or 9 when they showed these when I got a television (and a C64) in my room and I would watch this while jumping from the sides onto my bed pretending to be Liger.

Good times.

My first exposure to Liger was when WCW brought him in, sometime in the early 90s. Blew my friggin' mind.

Decry WCW for blowin' goats all you like, they provided a great platform for differing styles and really got new talent noticed.

My first exposure to Liger was when WCW brought him in, sometime in the early 90s. Blew my friggin' mind.

Decry WCW for blowin' goats all you like, they provided a great platform for differing styles and really got new talent noticed.

Same. Think it was against Flying Brian on one of the first Nitros.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thread quality has since increased. Coincidence?

The self-proclaimed king of this thread has abandoned you.

I won't have this kind of talk. We're all pals, goddammit!

Fex will return. He's taking a very calculated small moment off. He'll come back, and you'll see why, and say "Oh, it all makes sense now!"

In the meantime, do non-Fexxy stuff before he's coming...

He's coming...

jJoyD.jpg

The self-proclaimed king of this thread has abandoned you.

How many times did I warn you all? he'd abandon us, that you should've placed your faith in me and the O.W.L initiative but nobody takes me seriously, it's because i'm a Kane fan isn't it? ISN'T IT!?

stop being dramatic and get back here G-Fex

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Three of my most hated TNA people all in one picture. If only they could put Robbie E in there somewhere it'd be complete

It's one of my favorite wrestling pictures because it's about as awful as a picture can possibly be. It's incredible - I bask in its vomit-colored light.

How many times did I warn you all? he'd abandon us, that you should've placed your faith in me and the O.W.L initiative but nobody takes me seriously, it's because i'm a Kane fan isn't it? ISN'T IT!?

It appears he doesn't give a hoot about O.W.L.

Sokantish

Too bad it seemed like they're slowly turning him back into Abyss. I still haven't watched last week's though so I don't even know if he was in it

Sokantish

No he's posting in the NFL thread for some reason. At least he knew something about wrestling. He has no clue what he's talking about in the NFL thread

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome back G-Fex. Open arms. Positivity, and not HIV-style reign here.

Now let's talk more about puro!

Sokantish

That's what happens when you get interested in a sport late. That's why I don't even bother trying to get into basketball. Sometimes I'll watch the occasional game but since I wasn't raised with it it doesn't really hold my attention like the NFL does

G-Fex

Welcome back G-Fex. Open arms. Positivity, and not HIV-style reign here.

Now let's talk more about puro!

Puro eh?

For some reason I could never get into japanese wrasslin
That's what happens when you get interested in a sport late. That's why I don't even bother trying to get into basketball. Sometimes I'll watch the occasional game but since I wasn't raised with it it doesn't really hold my attention like the NFL does

But but...I want to get into basketball! I even bought NBA 2k11

Sokantish

I bought NBA2k11 and NBA2K12. I love them. The My Player mode is pretty fun. For some reason though I can't get myself to root for a team in real basketball. I dunno what my problem is

Just bought a last second ticket to Raw... pretty stoked. Last show I saw was Slammiversary which, while a fun show, had a crowd that will be tiny compared to this.

Curious, why does it say start time 6:30? Do they do anything in that half hour before the show?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I bought NBA2k11 and NBA2K12. I love them. The My Player mode is pretty fun. For some reason though I can't get myself to root for a team in real basketball. I dunno what my problem is

NBA2k11 had probably the greatest intro of all time. My god, it was good.

So wait I thought KOG was G-Fex, I'm so confused?

Sssssh...he'll hear you.

Just bought a last second ticket to Raw... pretty stoked. Last show I saw was Slammiversary which, while a fun show, had a crowd that will be tiny compared to this.

Curious, why does it say start time 6:30? Do they do anything in that half hour before the show?

They tape Superstars or NXT, depends really. Bring a GAF sign!

Alex Shelley announced via twitter that he will begin wrestling for New Japan in 3-weeks and the story has since been confirmed on New Japan's website. Other gaijins signed for September's tour, which kicks off at Korakuen Hall on the 7th, include former WWE Superstar Harry Smith, who previously has wrestled for Pro-Wrestling NOAH, and top CMLL talents Mascara Dorada and Averno.

Awesome! Hope Shelley sticks around in New Japan for a while - so many potentially awesome Jr. Heavyweight matches. Shelley vs Devitt, Shelley vs Liger, Shelley vs Ibushi, Shelley vs Low Ki, Shelley vs KUSHIDA, Shelley vs Taguchi, Shelley vs TAKA, etc.

Top Bottom