• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Pikma

Banned
They shouldn't have used Dillinger to feed Andrade, that was a huge booking fuck up. The good thing is that they're doing something to fix that, that Andrade vs Roode match could help him a lot considering Roode is a true heel, not whatever they pretend Dillinger is (which is imo another huge fuck up but that's a different story)

Edit: Trips won't turn him heel, He's his next Balor-like project

miserable

what the fuck does this even mean

what is a LGBT character?

tumblr_mdazscZ82u1rddyhgo1_250.gif

CWC was great. I expected Ibushi and Cedric to tear the house down, but Tajiri and Metalik had a damned fine match as well. Tajiri looked great for his age.

I'm such a mark as well, the Triple H cameo got me.

oddjobs

so there's three CWC matches next week and I guess also for the next one after that,
meaning that after the 7th episode this round is wrapped up.

then 2 episodes with two matches each for the quarter finals and the final episode for the two semifinal matches, with the final match taking place on (I guess) either on some live network special or alternatively at RAW's Clash of Champions PPV to kick off the cruiserweight division?

edit: might also be that they do the semifinals + final all live on the network on sept 14th.

Knox

They shouldn't have used Dillinger to feed Andrade, that was a huge booking fuck up. The good thing is that they're doing something to fix that, that Andrade vs Roode match could help him a lot considering Roode is a true heel, not whatever they pretend Dillinger is (which is imo another huge fuck up but that's a different story)

Edit: Trips won't turn him heel, He's his next Balor-like project

Brooklyn is going to pop hard for Roode because his theme music became a thing and he's debuting. It's going to be back to back Takeovers where Andrade is booked to be the face but the crowd gets behind the other guy. This is the kind of mistake I would expect from the main roster, but not from NXT. I trust NXT booking enough to think that there's a method behind the madness, or at least that they'll be able to adjust accordingly.

I'm currently watching Balor vs. Nakamura, I'm kind of annoyed that Shinsuke suddenly quit selling knee despite all of the work done on it, he also acted like the pain was unbearable just moments before. I know that gaf has been pretty rough on Balor here lately, but he's doing good work here. However, the ad breaks really hurt the flow of the match, are those required for overseas airings or something?

Packing for Vader vs Ospreay tomorrow, excited for this, but be interested to see how well Vader moves these days, I understand he has lost a ton of weight but he is not as young as he used to be.

Here's hoping Vader doesn't throw a tantrum and no show.

Hasney

Jesus, this Ibushi/Cedric match. CWC going to provide most of the WWE match of the year candidates at this rate.

That brainbuster, kick out and instant FUCK YOU kick from Cedric, kick out and the look of shock sequence was outstanding.

Packing for Vader vs Ospreay tomorrow, excited for this, but be interested to see how well Vader moves these days, I understand he has lost a ton of weight but he is not as young as he used to be.

Here's hoping Vader doesn't throw a tantrum and no show.

I'm going aswell!! First time going to a show not WWE in England (I'm not counting the time I see jake the Snake at Fairfield Hall haha)

Sure Vader is gonna make it, there's a q&a with him tonight and a meet and greet as well so I'm sure he's making a few quid.

Looking forward to this, have you been before? I've got unreserved seats on the balcony, is it worth getting there for when the doors open?

Vader has a prior history, at UK shows, of deciding at the curtain "nah I'm going over tonight instead".

I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda interested to see the carwreck it ends up being, but I'm far more excited about the rest of the card.

CpG6cdOWIAAw3j6.jpg:small

Been gradually getting into the English stuff lately the only match where I'm not too sure who they are is Bodom v White. Are they any good?

Excited to see Hero and Ricochet aswell as the main event.

I'd be interested to see how much Vader sells in that match

Adree

I'm currently watching Balor vs. Nakamura, I'm kind of annoyed that Shinsuke suddenly quit selling knee despite all of the work done on it, he also acted like the pain was unbearable just moments before. I know that gaf has been pretty rough on Balor here lately, but he's doing good work here. However, the ad breaks really hurt the flow of the match, are those required for overseas airings or something?

NXT airs on Hulu as well so I imagine that's why the breaks are there. It also lets them edit for time.

klonere

Banned
Dunno if I could book a better fantasy indie match than Dunne/Ricochet right now tbh

Been gradually getting into the English stuff lately the only match where I'm not too sure who they are is Bodom v White. Are they any good?

Excited to see Hero and Ricochet aswell as the main event.

I'd be interested to see how much Vader sells in that match

Bodom is an RPW home grown guy. He's been given a lot of big names to work with recently, namely Hero and Ishii. He's young and clearly still getting better but is an effective enough heel. I'm kind of 50/50 on him being given these huge shots considering he isn't that good but hey, I ain't the booker.

Jay White is an excellent NJPW trainee/Young Lion who is now going on his "excursion" where he's touring around the world picking up experience in other promotions. He has a boatload of potential and is already very good and will play a big part in the NJPW heavyweight scene
making Okada look strong 4Head
when he gets back. So I'd be very excited to get to see him.

Yeah, I really don't rate Bodum, but others do, and he's getting a push, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jay White I see loads talking about but I haven't seen.

While we're chatting Rev Pro, I saw Trent Seven is getting a shot on the NJPW show, really good for him, he's been shooting up my faves list recently

Dunno if I could book a better fantasy indie match than Dunne/Ricochet right now tbh
Can't wait, it's Dunne's year (and probably next year too after BOLA)

NXT airs on Hulu as well so I imagine that's why the breaks are there. It also lets them edit for time.

I see, I see.

Jesus, this Ibushi/Cedric match. CWC going to provide most of the WWE match of the year candidates at this rate.

That brainbuster, kick out and instant FUCK YOU kick from Cedric, kick out and the look of shock sequence was outstanding.

Cedric was trying to rival the HBK/Taker WM25 kickout with his reaction.

klonere

Banned
Yeah, I really don't rate Bodum, but others do, and he's getting a push, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jay White I see loads talking about but I haven't seen.

While we're chatting Rev Pro, I saw Trent Seven is getting a shot on the NJPW show, really good for him, he's been shooting up my faves list recently

Can't wait, it's Dunne's year (and probably next year too after BOLA)

Dunne is getting the early Austin reaction at OTT now - clearly a heel and a son of a bitch but he's so good part of the audience is now cheering him instead of it all being mass boos. And he was hated as champion.

I just watched the CWC with a friend.

It's times like this where being a wrestling fan is really, really amazing.

Classic match with Cedric Alexander and Kota Ibushi.

I'm going aswell!! First time going to a show not WWE in England (I'm not counting the time I see jake the Snake at Fairfield Hall haha)

Sure Vader is gonna make it, there's a q&a with him tonight and a meet and greet as well so I'm sure he's making a few quid.

Looking forward to this, have you been before? I've got unreserved seats on the balcony, is it worth getting there for when the doors open?

Definitely Damo vs Sha Samuels is the opener, every match is worth seeing. I'll be second row. Look for a tall guy with glasses and a prosthetic leg- that's me.

Never been to a Rev Pro show before. But have been to.

NXT
TNA
ICW

Got tickets for ROH in November as well in Liverpool.

klonere

Banned
CpkQTDRVUAAUEiO.jpg:small

Ibushi did another Korauken balcony dive at todays W-1 vs AJPW show.

Oh Ibushi...

Edit: Oh it was in Yokohama not Koruaken, my bad.

CWC was fucking amazing last night. Both great matches with a pretty awesome ending. Best thing WWE is putting out at the moment and can't wait for the next episodes.

I can't unsee Liv Morgan as some sort of fusion between Alexa Bliss and Carmella.

But never mind that because Billie Kay's theme is where it's at.

klonere

Banned
I'm not sure a single guy in the CWC, maybe except Kendrick perhaps, can cut a good, live WWE style scripted promo to the audience. Questionable signees all of them tbh.

I'll be in the front row for Ospreay vs Vader, looking forward to it, but not expecting a ton from the match itself. The rest of the card's stacked though, ZSJ vs Cobb!

Yeah, the lighting rig they use around the ring can slightly obscure the view from the balcony if you aren't facing directly side-on to the ring, so probably worth queuing to make sure you get a good seat up there.

Minor slip up aside the Ibushi/Alexnader match was incredible. It was a little one-sided offensive wise but Alexander really sold the hell out of all of it. His mannerisms really landed itself to the match and showing how hard he was trying to beat Ibushi.

I wonder how much different the main roster would be if the matches were more like CWC and less grandeur story telling. It just feels so much more investing as a fan when it's just a match versus this laborious, and often bad, story telling.

Hasney

I'm not sure a single guy in the CWC, maybe except Kendrick perhaps, can cut a good, live WWE style scripted promo to the audience. Questionable signees all of them tbh.

They've got 3 hours of Raw to fill and it worked perfectly for Nitro. They can get over in ring and liven up the crowd before the main roster.

If they treat the Cruiserweight Division as a full on separate thing, they don't that aspect as much and they can learn going forward.

I can't unsee Liv Morgan as some sort of fusion between Alexa Bliss and Carmella.

But never mind that because Billie Kay's theme is where it's at.

Yep, great theme, and really works for the character she's going for. She hasn't really put it together in the ring yet, but I guess that's what NXT is for.

They've got 3 hours of Raw to fill and it worked perfectly for Nitro. They can get over in ring and liven up the crowd before the main roster.

If they treat the Cruiserweight Division as a full on separate thing, they don't that aspect as much and they can learn going forward.

I agree here. When Nitro was going hard the cruiser weight division was a HUGE factor to it. They had guys doing stories and promos, but it wasn't week in week out and they let a lot of them build up who they were just with their matches.

it can certainly be done, but I wouldn't bet on it being pulled off well. Especially given the current shitty production element of WWE & Smackdown

Recall

CWC continues to be the highlight of each wrestling week. I love it and I cannot wait for each episode, I've missed wrestling where I'm actually impatient for the next week to get here.

And I look in here and everyone hates it.

Love it.

Recall

Lance Storm completely burying the CWC as being nonsensical indie flippy bullshit 😂

Love him

I can only name 3 Lance Storm matches worth watching.

Vs Edge at Summerslam 2001
Vs Jerry Lynn at Anarchy Rulz 99
Vs Bryan Danielson in ROH

Anything else?

Top Bottom