• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

jmdajr

Looks like mma fighters are going to unionize

Check out @FightersAssoc's Tweet:
https://twitter.com/FightersAssoc/status/763735459306496000?s=09

VdYcs.gif

Thanks, guys. It's a shame that some folks' worries came true.

I honestly don't know what people were expecting. It looked like a monotonous tech demo from the first reveal. I think people generally get too hung up on first impressions without imagining what actually playing any given game would be like.

FlammableD went from beloved Avatar Tussle organizer to bitter anti-union coot. Why, FlammableD?!

tumblr_inline_o2xk39K3kX1r7w907_500.gif

I'm totally not anti union, I'm a dirty lefty through and through, just pessimistic that fighters will overlook self interest to band together. That's why the wrestling union never worked, Vince could just shitcan the instigators and bring someone else in tomorrow. You'd basically need the entire UFC roster on side from day 0, otherwise Dana just says I'm not hiring any Union fighters.

My perspective may be skewed here by only having Hulu, but is Smackdown not the "make wrestling great again" of the brand split? So much pandering, so many Daniel/Shane promos (way more than Steph, surprisingly), weird booking and, most importantly, very little actual wrestling? As long as they can get the crowd YES! YES! YES!ing can they pretend they're putting on a solid show?

Just surprised that I'm enjoying Raw more than Smackdown because I thought it was gonna be a given the other way around.

The week before last almost seemed like an exercise in absurdity with, I think, only 2 matches having actual finishes and the rest being overly long promos and non-finishers.

Kaladin

Between the WWN Live stuff with Evolve, Progress, Chikara, Beyond, FIP and Shimmer, Ring of Honor, Revolution Pro Wrestling, CZW and probably others I'm forgetting, they're starting to load WM weekend with too many shows. Fuck, that's not even including NXT running a large arena.

klonere

Banned
My perspective may be skewed here by only having Hulu, but is Smackdown not the "make wrestling great again" of the brand split? So much pandering, so many Daniel/Shane promos (way more than Steph, surprisingly), weird booking and, most importantly, very little actual wrestling? As long as they can get the crowd YES! YES! YES!ing can they pretend they're putting on a solid show?

Just surprised that I'm enjoying Raw more than Smackdown because I thought it was gonna be a given the other way around.

The week before last almost seemed like an exercise in absurdity with, I think, only 2 matches having actual finishes and the rest being overly long promos and non-finishers.

Most of the big Smackdown guys were on the Australia/NZ tour so the show was always going to be a total lame duck. Not much they can do about it sadly.

EVOLVE VS PROGRESS
EVOLVE VS PROGRESS
EVOLVE VS PROGRESS
EVOLVE VS PROGRESS

Ya but WHO WINS

gun_haver

It isn't so much the way the WWE would handle an LGBT storyline I'm worried about (although yeah, in all likelihood it would be pretty terrible), it's the reaction of the crowds to it. I don't think the majority of the audience are going to be too happy about having The Gay Lifestyle paraded in front of them. You've got a cross section of low income white males, older people and families with young kids. The reactions would vary from 'ugh, that's kinda gay' to 'haha look at these gays prancing around' to 'this is corrupting my innocent child! don't turn him gay!', etc.

I'm all for something low key to begin with, ie as people have said, if Darren Young gets a big win, have his boyfriend on screen as occasionally the wives and girlfriends of wrestlers are, in the crowd, celebrating the victory, and have commentary put it over.

I mean these people are just BARELY ready to put women as a whole over, it's gonna take some time.

So I dunno - what should be done? A light touch, gradual approach? A heavy handed full scale assault that will backfire but might be good in the long run? Or just, nothing?

I mean romantic storylines in wrestling are far more often than not some of the worst things they do anyway, so putting aside the LGBT aspect, it's probably still gonna kinda suck unless we get on board with it in a patting ourselves on the back for moving forward kind of way - which like I said, I don't see happening with the current (and eternal, so far) WWE audience.

WWE dug themselves into a deep hole with the Attitude Era. A profitable hole but you can't just come back from that like nothing happened. This would take some serious doing.

But this is probably just more of Steph's philanthropy is how we are going to win strategy, might never actually materialise.

Zach

ESPN's championship history section is cool, but it'd be fun if they listed the number of successful defenses or something.

“We want to cover it like we do with any other sport such as the NFL, major league baseball, the NBA and everything else that we cover — with credibility and authenticity.”

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

sora87

I can't get over Bobby Roode's entrance music, it's just... glorious.

CWC blew my mind, 2 incredible matches. Those Cedric near pin falls had me marking out!

Top Bottom