• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Zach

Stranger Things was good. Zach's just a jobber.
It was slick and had good music. The characters weren't great. Lots of "uuh, why?" and "erm, how?" And not because of the sci-fi stuff. Just mundane crap that didn't make sense.

Anyway, 5 out of 10.

Oh and
f'ing Steve lives AND saves the day?!
Jesus Christ.

Aiii

So not worth it
This... can only lead to amazing things.

I feel sorry for the poor person WWE will try this out on.

darren-young.jpg

Because you know they won't even imagine picking anyone that's not already out to play a gay character.

klonere

Banned
They've got 3 hours of Raw to fill and it worked perfectly for Nitro. They can get over in ring and liven up the crowd before the main roster.

If they treat the Cruiserweight Division as a full on separate thing, they don't that aspect as much and they can learn going forward.

I have no faith that they will be presented in any such way that will get over with the Raw crowd beyond some fat sweathogs desperately screaming themselves deaf trying to get a "FIGHT FOREVER" chant going

I've probably gone way too cynical on this but that's just my gut feeling on the whole endeavour.

CWC continues to be the highlight of each wrestling week. I love it and I cannot wait for each episode, I've missed wrestling where I'm actually impatient for the next week to get here.

And I look in here and everyone hates it.

Love it.

I'm pretty sure everyone I've seen talking about the CWC has been very positive on the whole?

klonere

Banned
Here is an entire page of people hating the CWC.

Alrighty Cedric, destroy this dweeb!

DAT DROPKICK

Damn, Kota gonna kill Cedric.

Yo that springboard moonsault!

This match folks.

Lol! That selling was so delayed.

That kick right after the pin break.

YO

THis is pretty great

Fight Forever!

A fucking overhead drop and Cedric dips to the outside lol! He's had it.

Match of Cedric's life there.

Ibushi is the best. Give this man his own division in the WWE. Let him do his crazy stuff. Just do what you can to sign him.

Too many close calls to the neck here!

Cedric Alexander just executes his moves so well.

Ok the brain buster should've ended it lol

GREAT match.

Cedric is going to win BOLA

Fuck 😢 Ceddy lost. Damnit!

yoooo..that Ibushi/Alexander match. So good!

Any news of Alexander getting signed by WWE? That dude is legit.

Oh shit, Trips!

Awesome shit

Some delicious top rope bounces to the outside tonight

The kick after Ibushi kicked out was baller as hell

ROH fucked up with how they booked Cedric

Let's be real here, Ibushi vs ZSJ in the finals will inevitably be the MoTY

Tozawa vs Gallagher

HOLY SHIT

Alex with so much emotion, he's great and it sucks that he lost but it's fine.

Intense. Great stuff. Couldn't do that every match, though. It was pretty balls-to-the-wall.

So glad they kept the post-match stuff

Holy fuck they're showing this part, yes! They know he's a star! He deserves it!

Jamie OD

Found out about a Lucha Underground spoiler that involves a dream match I never ever would have though of. Said match will also for sure widen the divide between fans over a common criticism for the show. Still it sounds mental. All I'll say is it's a handicap match with some stars in it.

Oh alright, the match I'm talking about is
Pentagon Dark Vs Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo and Mayu Iwatani from Stardom! The girls are from Black Lotus' clan in the storyline.

darren-young.jpg

Because you know they won't even imagine picking anyone that's not already out to play a gay character.
I'd be fine with Young so long as they just do something where they point out his boyfriend in the audience like they would if a wrestlers wife or girlfriend is in the audience and not as something where Backlund makes accidental offensive comments which is precisely what they are going to end up doing.

Dunno if I could book a better fantasy indie match than Dunne/Ricochet right now tbh

Bodom is an RPW home grown guy. He's been given a lot of big names to work with recently, namely Hero and Ishii. He's young and clearly still getting better but is an effective enough heel. I'm kind of 50/50 on him being given these huge shots considering he isn't that good but hey, I ain't the booker.

Jay White is an excellent NJPW trainee/Young Lion who is now going on his "excursion" where he's touring around the world picking up experience in other promotions. He has a boatload of potential and is already very good and will play a big part in the NJPW heavyweight scene
making Okada look strong 4Head
when he gets back. So I'd be very excited to get to see him.

Seems like a good card for our first show then. TBH Vader/Ospreay is mainly why I booked the tickets but I'm hoping the rest of the night is why I'd go back.

Definitely Damo vs Sha Samuels is the opener, every match is worth seeing. I'll be second row. Look for a tall guy with glasses and a prosthetic leg- that's me.

Never been to a Rev Pro show before. But have been to.

NXT
TNA
ICW

Got tickets for ROH in November as well in Liverpool.

I'm gonna try get to more live shows, theres no excuse for me not to get to any in and around London. I'll keep an eye out! If you see a tall fella with a good lookin skinhead on the balcony, I'm the skinhead haha

I'll be in the front row for Ospreay vs Vader, looking forward to it, but not expecting a ton from the match itself. The rest of the card's stacked though, ZSJ vs Cobb!

Yeah, the lighting rig they use around the ring can slightly obscure the view from the balcony if you aren't facing directly side-on to the ring, so probably worth queuing to make sure you get a good seat up there.

Cheers! I'd rather have decent seats than stay in the pub for another pint. Thankfully the train strikes over so shouldn't have any problems getting up there.

I agree the match probably isn't gonna be great, but wondering if Vaders gonna shoot and if theres real beef between the two will be the best part... until it starts.

It'll be cool to see Vader as WCW was my first regular exposure to wrestling, recording it at 2 in the morning. He was with Harley Race at the time and other greats such as Van Hammer and P.M Dawn

Lance Storm completely burying the CWC as being nonsensical indie flippy bullshit 😂

Love him

I mean there's high flying moves but I wouldn't call it flippy shit. There's nothing worse than when wrestlers are taking ages to set up moves or the other guys staggering around like he's drunk but I think during the CWC the high flying stuff has been balanced with actual wrestling.

Basically Lance has got a personality and opinion 20 years too late.

Anth0ny

Where is the confusion about this? Did you NOT see Miz and his wife on smackdown live? A LGBT character or two would be two men or two women doing the same thing.

In an ideal world, this is how it would work, yes.

However, in the real world, I think you run into a number of problems.

First of all, WWE and Vince Mcmahon. we still get immature "gay jokes" straight out of 1999, as we saw on raw. i'm pretty sure vince and friends don't have the ability to present a LGBT character that isn't a comedy act. because "lol they're gay"

Second, most couples in WWE are heels. You have the somewhat goofy male heel with the gorgeous supermodel wife. Just the visual alone creates heel heat. Then they build to the make out spot, which always draws boos from the crowd.

Do you want to present a homosexual couple as heels? I feel like that would be criticized right from the get go. Undeservedly, but I can see WWE shying away from presenting a gay couple like how they present Miz/Maryse or Steph/HHH or Rusev/Lana. This is a safe choice that would likely result in boring characters, boring storylines and a failed "experiment".

So lets say they do go the Miz/Maryse heel route, presenting a gay couple in the same way, with them making out at the end of segments as a way to build heat. You now have the wrestling audience to worry about, both as a live crowd and on social media. This audience is simply not accustomed to taking a gay character as anything but a comedy character. If you present two men kissing live, you will get boos and groans and "eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww" from the crowd. If you present two women kissing live, you will get cat calls and cheers from all the neckbeards and perverts in the crowd, which is a good 90%.

In my mind, the best way to go is present a heel, gay couple in pre-recorded vignette videos. Have them kiss and be intimate without the crowd audio making a fucking joke out of the whole thing. In time, hopefully, they can condition the crowd enough to not shit all over them when they finally bring their act live. It would also be very wise to try this out first on NXT, with a far superior creative team at the wheel and a crowd that would probably be a lot more welcoming to such an idea.

Just my two cents. There's a lot of work to be done if they want to pull it off, and I honestly don't think the current main roster WWE brass would even come close to executing it correctly.

Ithil

"I'm gay everyone, I'm very gay, I have no other facets to my personality other than being gay, I am the gay one".

That's all you're going to get. Plus a load of snide remarks from commentary.

Oersted

We gonna get

A) Two teasing lesbians. They are heel, not delivering the "fanservice" will get heel heat.

B) Face gay/lesbian who is getting his/ her hopes up because a heel lies to him/her

C) R-Truth running around in women clothes, wondering if he was born into the right body

Top Bottom