• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

CpqyuAtWYAAl6eC.jpg:large

Shane and Daniel Bryan (especially Bryan) are very involved in Smackdown and making creative decisions.

Shane says they have personal pride in Smackdown and they're "out to win". They want everything to be better than RAW. Admits deck is stacked in RAW's favor.

The picture used on RAW (months back) during angle with Vince was his first memory of the business and pro wrestling, and went to his first show around that time.

Wrestlers would always mess with him backstage as a kid. Superstar Billy Graham would get physical to try and toughen him up. Some guys would give him a shot in the ribs or a knee in the chest in passing. Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund taught him legit moves and techniques.

Vince flew to Europe while Andre the Giant was filming a movie and pitched him the match with Hogan at WM3. Andre had to have back surgery before he could do it (says doctors were afraid because of how much anesthesia they needed to keep him sedated), and went to Vince's house everyday to train and rehabilitate afterwards.

Shane's childhood dream was to grow up to be Andre's tag team partner.

Very proud of match with Angle; Would love to do it again. Says if the right scenario comes up and people want it, he would like to have another match.
From an interview yesterday.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All that means is that Hogan is going to run for president or retire early next year. Gotta keep ratings high brother.

Cagey

Banned
All that means is that Hogan is going to run for president or retire early next year. Gotta keep ratings high brother.
Racist Heel (?? I have doubts...) Hogan for President of WWE while the Trump campaign picked up steam would have been a top of the program story during the late 90s.

Aiii

So not worth it
Friends, instead of NMS, spend a few bucks on Reigns, that game is pretty damn awesome despite it's name relation to Roman.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I spent six bucks yesterday upgrading my ancient Master of Orion disks to the GOG version. Bonus I got MOO2 for free, though I probably won't bother with it anytime soon.

For a tenth of the price of NMS you can get a space exploration game, also procedurally generated, that I've been playing for 22 years.

TNT is going to have Monday night NBA doubleheaders every week from January to April starting this season. Raw is so doomed.

Hopefully now people both here and in the OT ratings thread stop spinning the poor performances

They've been competing against sports forever, they've competed against Olympics every 2 years, VP and Presidential debates every 4, etc. Eventually the excuses fade. If you don't do well, if you suck, every month of the year, eventually you can't say "well what about x being on at the same time".

This is purely on them, nobody else

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hopefully now people both here and in the OT ratings thread stop spinning the poor performances

They've been competing against sports forever, they've competed against Olympics every 2 years, VP and Presidential debates every 4, etc. Eventually the excuses fade. If you don't do well, if you suck, every month of the year, eventually you can't say "well what about x being on at the same time".

This is purely on them, nobody else

Sports was never the issue. It's the hyper diversity of cable and cord cutters plus the weak, stale product. The second part keeps them from growing, the first part actually makes the declining numbers look good, which is why USA keeps doubling down.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is JBL shouting more, or does it just seem that way because of the contrast with Mauro?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No but seriously regular season basketball isn't a draw that will make any material difference in Raw's ratings. It's regular season basketball.

Contrast. He's almost always been this shouty. Good when he had interesting stuff to say, annoying now. He doesn't really gel with Mauro yet.

The strange thing is that it seems like Corey Graves stopped actually talking after the first Raw and now I mostly seem to hear Byron all the time.

Kaladin

Finally watched this week's CWC. Holy shit at those matches. Tajiri vs Gran Metalik surprised me as I wasn't expecting much from it, but damn these guys are awesome.

Cedric Alexander though......I hope that kid made a name for himself with that performance because damn. That was some awesome selling and his facial expressions off the nearfalls had me believing even though I knew what would happen. And that brainbuster immediately followed by the superkick....holy shit. Where was this fire when I saw him in ROH? Ibushi was amazing as usual but he only has one setting and that is amazing.

Finally, I can't say enough about the team of Bryan and Mauro on commentary. Bryan marking out over things like he does is a breath of fresh air in WWE. I love when they both mark out at the same time. Mauro carries the commentary and Bryan marks out....this should be the Smackdown commentary team with the added appeal of Bryan as GM. He should be a regular fixture on commentary, not Otunga who barely gets a word in.

Angry Grimace

The big thing that bugs me about JBL is that he shouts every single thing he wants to say and his reasoning for siding with the heels never makes any sense. Like, he hates Dean Ambrose for not combing his hair or something.

Like, Corey Graves's random hatred of Becky Lynch is at least funny. It's too bad he didn't get on SmackDown with Mauro. It would have been really funny to see Corey blatantly favoring Eva Marie in the Eva/Becky feud complete with background reasons and history for why he hates Becky and loves Eva.

Finally watched this week's CWC. Holy shit at those matches. Tajiri vs Gran Metalik surprised me as I wasn't expecting much from it, but damn these guys are awesome.

Cedric Alexander though......I hope that kid made a name for himself with that performance because damn. That was some awesome selling and his facial expressions off the nearfalls had me believing even though I knew what would happen. And that brainbuster immediately followed by the superkick....holy shit. Where was this fire when I saw him in ROH? Ibushi was amazing as usual but he only has one setting and that is amazing.

Finally, I can't say enough about the team of Bryan and Mauro on commentary. Bryan marking out over things like he does is a breath of fresh air in WWE. I love when they both mark out at the same time. Mauro carries the commentary and Bryan marks out....this should be the Smackdown commentary team with the added appeal of Bryan as GM. He should be a regular fixture on commentary, not Otunga who barely gets a word in.

Let me ask you, did you like Striker's commentary when he was marking out over every small move?

I fucking hated it, it was horrible and ruined yhe commentary. It was like he was going to get his shit in either way and it came off as pushy. He was commentating as someone on the Internet would if they were given the headset.

I'm glad that Cole & King both really had the same opinion as myself.

Kaladin

Let me ask you, did you like Striker's commentary when he was marking out over every small move?

I fucking hated it, it was horrible and ruined yhe commentary. It was like he was going to get his shit in either way and it came off as pushy. He was commentating as someone on the Internet would if they were given the headset.

I'm glad that Cole & King both really had the same opinion as myself.

I don't like Striker for the same thing as you. Bryan's mark outs feel more genuine though. Not as forced as Striker. I'd have to hear him do this with the regular roster though and see how it is there. I have a feeling he'd be more restrained because he's not going to see holy shit I've never seen that before things every week.

somedevil

On the WWE youtube page the video called Eve Marie has a wardrobe malfunction has 2.3 million views in 2 days.

The only video beating that from Raw or Smackdown is the Rusev and Lana wedding with 2.8 million views.

I don't like Striker for the same thing as you. Bryan's mark outs feel more genuine though. Not as forced as Striker. I'd have to hear him do this with the regular roster though and see how it is there. I have a feeling he'd be more restrained because he's not going to see holy shit I've never seen that before things every week.
👍 I've yet to actually listen to any commentary for the CWC but the week after next I'll get my first go at it. I just have captions as I'm just watching the action.

somedevil

I like Bryan to. Its makes it feel real though supposedly Meltzer spent 10 minutes on how Bryan is close to being a "bullshit announcer."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My next 1999 show is Backlash.

HHH going corporate is weird. Vince turning face after Shane boots him out of the Corporation? Pete Gas and Rodney taking over the stooge's role? Kane and X to the PAC are tag champions? I'm feeling the grind, maggle!

Jim Ross just replaces Cole at the desk one Monday Night and they pretend nothing happened. A wild LoD appeared with Paul Ellering, only to disappear just as quickly. Chyna versus Nicole Bass is a PPV main event caliber match in the waiting. Rock has the Smoking Skull belt. Undertaker is a SATANIST, and kinda looks like Baron Corbin with much better hair, tattoos, physique. DX is dead.

Kaladin

I like Bryan to. Its makes it feel real though supposedly Meltzer spent 10 minutes on how Bryan is close to being a "bullshit announcer."

If Lawler and JBL on commentary are like the drunk uncle you'd watch wrestling with, Bryan is that friend you'd have over and he's marking out over every awesome thing, and that is 100% appropriate for the CWC as this is stuff you haven't seen on WWE programming, even with NXT.

I'm fine with Bryan's commentating.

He isn't Matt Striker level but I do understand that some folks may have issue with his enthusiasm: it does feel forced at times to me, but hey, he's a vanilla midget.

My next 1999 show is Backlash.

HHH going corporate is weird. Vince turning face after Shane boots him out of the Corporation? Pete Gas and Rodney taking over the stooge's role? Kane and X to the PAC are tag champions? I'm feeling the grind, maggle!

Jim Ross just replaces Cole at the desk one Monday Night and they pretend nothing happened. A wild LoD appeared with Paul Ellering, only to disappear just as quickly. Chyna versus Nicole Bass is a PPV main event caliber match in the waiting. Rock has the Smoking Skull belt. Undertaker is a SATANIST, and kinda looks like Baron Corbin with much better hair, tattoos, physique. DX is dead.
It's almost time for you to witness something bigger than any man!

Top Bottom