• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

It was up until last olympics (I think?) and it got voted out of being a core sport; i think it lost to fucking golf. GOLF. Apparently wrestling got lower ratings than events like dressage (literal horse dancing).
BLFtp4c.gif

Today's carny news! Georgia indy show show cancelled. Sounds normal, right

Ben Masters said:
Ok it's soap box time. I have been in the pro wrestling business for 30 years and I have paid many "dues" along the way. I made a reputation in this business as a fair pay off man and a man of integrity. I have worked for a few crooked promoters but honestly not many. I have been blessed to work with amazing money guys who respected me and the best business.

Today I drove 90 miles to help a guy who I thought was straight forward and a man of his word. I trusted someone who honestly isn't "in" our business. So I'm here in Dudley Georgia with some of the biggest names in our business who are not getting paid. The money guy says there IS NO MONEY. After stating he had sold $10,000 worth of tickets. This promoter has broken the trust of guys who have been in our business for years, many who paved the way for the younger guys today.

The Sheriff is now involved and hopefully there will be some sort of resolution. In the meanwhile, props to the guys who stayed and worked for the fans who paid to see a show. None if this was their fault. Most of the legends who left were seen at the Meet and Greet this afternoon so the fans were happy with that. Sadly as a whole no one was paid. So the show must go on and whatever money is left will be split along the guys who stayed and wrestled.

To GREG GREENE I feel sorry for you. You mistakenly thought that getting wrestlers' phone numbers and booking big names on a show made you a promoter. You forgot one important thing....pro wrestling is a BUSINESS!! Please do yourself and everyone else a favor and stay away from our great business. You give us all a bad name.

Basically Greg booked $18k worth of legends and showed up with $500. 70 fans attended after a boasted $10k worth of tickets sold. Arn Anderson and Del Wilkes the only people actually paid, and they had to threaten Greg to get it. Everyone else got nothing or checks that bounced, and everyone's hotel rooms were cancelled because, shocker, Greg's credit card was declined

Pikma

Banned
Opinions can be uninformed
Uninformed opinions? how embarrassing!

Basically Greg booked $18k worth of legends and showed up with $500. 70 fans attended after a boasted $10k worth of tickets sold. Arn Anderson and Del Wilkes the only people actually paid, and they had to threaten Greg to get it. Everyone else got nothing or checks that bounced, and everyone's hotel rooms were cancelled because, shocker, Greg's credit card was declined
I bet Ben feels embarrassed and will never admit to be a wrestling promoter in public ever again.

And I don't blame him

Why is Arn doing this carny BS. The guy deserves better

Call me crazy, but I still think Kendrick/Mendoza is the best match of the CWC so far.

Also, I can't believe how Kenny Omega has evolved. I never thought I'd be able to take him seriously. He was very funny and had bad hair, but not someone I imagined being able to do what he's doing now.

Pikma

Banned
4 or 5 out of 10?

These matches feel like introductions to these guys and there is very little going on here in way of in-ring psychology , which took a backseat while most of the dudes were using their spots to make a name for themselves. I can't even think of the guys that were in a match up where they looked completely mismatched but got by showing off a move or two.

Jack Gallagher stands out at the top so I would put that match with whoever his opponent was as the best match.. i bought that a dude with his stature can lock up with the best and biggest of them. TJ Perkins, Dux were solid. Everyone raves about Sabre but I don't get it. I can't remember any of the others though I've sat through it all.

My overall feeling is that this show is not for me. I've seen Roman Reigns give better matches save but one or two of the ones we've seen here and I'm not even his biggest fan.

I know that Ciampa and gamboda or whatever wasn't top ten much less top twenty tier this year. KennyOmega has 3 matches this year along that easily fill that too ten slot along with AJ, Nakamura (both had a classic early this year that we as easily ranked my favorite up until this morning).

The Ciampa match was textbook material and covered the basics but because we haven't seen basics implemented at all this year from our beloved wwe, it stands out. Promo pushes the agenda, story drives it, and then it's capped by a finisher. This should be the blueprint for most, if not all non-squash matches in the industry. For the most part it is.

How so? You think opinions are all leveled on the same playing field? Lol right.
"How can someone like something I don't?! They must be fanboys!"

Feels like I'm reading a gaming side post in disguise

Pikma

Banned
Two stupid posts in a row. You're on a role. It must have taken years of sitting on a couch to learn how to put words in other people's mouths. Be proud. Walk safely thinking all opinions have weight and validity. All good. You're still not beating me at Summerslam
Lololol Why are people so damn explosive in this community?

And don't worry, me and Blue will get it done

The only thing you're gonna be calling is the hospital to pick you up from the arena after I'm done with you.
😦 YOU CAN'T HIT A HANDICAP PERSON
In other news...Naomi returned properly wrestling yesterday and got new gear! Hopefully keeps the light-up sneakers.

HEbTzso.jpg
Another DX reunion? Sigh....

Blue, please come back and start live posting whatever random event you're watching. Save us from this
OMFG UNDERTAKER IS BACK AT THE ROYAL RUMBLE! THEY SHOWED HIM AS THE MINISTRY WILL BE BE THE MINISTRY TAKER? OMFG I'M STOKED!

Guest ref? Ooooooh so that's how we'll get it done

A+ stuff blue, A+
You know I have the brains for half of this shit than anyone else does!

#WM2000Sunday

PossibleFrayedAtlanticridleyturtle.gif
That match was an entire botch and non sell. Holy's backstage promo though for the radio lol!

#WM2000Sunday you say?

tumblr_n7k4yiwPdA1s3uawvo2_r1_500.gif
That's the only WM 2000 I approve of.

You can't keep doing this!

Do you think that gif is what caused the "Triple H must not look vulnerable" edict?
He's such a puss, it's a fucking video game!

Hasney

Watching this Omega match now. Damn, they're behind Omega.

Fuck the ROH commentary team though. Always doing their best to sap the energy out of anything.

DMczaf

Remember when Mick retired from wrestling due to the severe toll wrestling took on his body, and Vince asked him to come back anyway?

WelldocumentedUnfoldedAmericanwarmblood.gif

Sephzilla

Caught up on the CWC. Ibushi/Cedric was fucking amazing. Metalic/Tajiri was also pretty damn great too. HHH showing up during Cedric's farewell was also pretty cool.

DMczaf

Caught up on the CWC. Ibushi/Cedric was fucking amazing. Metalic/Tajiri was also pretty damn great too. HHH showing up during Cedric's farewell was also pretty cool.

Maybe it's my 20 year history with the man, but I can't help but think Triple H was like "What's that sound-ah?! IS SOMEONE GETTING OVER-AH!? *storms out of Gorilla*"

Top Bottom