• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Kaladin

So if you watch Raw, Smackdown, NXT, Takeover and the PPV this weekend, you would have watched 12 hours of wrasslin. This is assuming the Takeover is 2 hours and the PPV is 4 with the early start time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NXT already has a real shooter for a trainer
fdfdfgdiipsr.gif

what's Shawn gonna teach them, how to get your ass kicked at a bar?

Mahonay

Banned
So if you watch Raw, Smackdown, NXT, Takeover and the PPV this weekend, you would have watched 12 hours of wrasslin. This is assuming the Takeover is 2 hours and the PPV is 4 with the early start time.
I've already given up on trying to watch RAW and Smackdown every week. It's too much.
what's Shawn gonna teach them, how to get your ass kicked at a bar?
How to look good getting your ass kicked.

Kaladin

Shit, I forgot about CWC. That would be 13 hours of prime WWE programming. That's not even counting Superstars and Main Event and podcasts and other things.

Heroman

Banned
We all know that summer slam will be atleast 6 hours long.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'll watch the CWC, Takeover and maybe two of the SummerSlam matches, that's good enough, in the end I'll have watched everything everyone who watches all of it will remember a week from now.

UFC 202 though, that's the real main event.

As nice as the 202 main event is, and even that could turn out to be a dud, it's really not that deep for me. The only two main card fights I care about are the main and co-main, and the only other fight I really care to see is the FS1 main event. Seriously not understanding the hype for the event outside of Conor.

Aiii

So not worth it
Is it ,we already saw Conner get his ass beat, so we really need to see it agoan

Yes, we do.

For one, last time we had a fight on short notice, both men were barely prepared for eachother. Nate wasn't prepared at all and Connor was fighting well above his weight class. All bets are off.

For another, we saw Nate get his ass beat quite a bit too, I know he liked to pretend he was just playing games, but you don't look a bloody mess when you're toying with a man.

It's gonna be a fight.

Kaladin

Summerslam 1997

The idea behind this PPV is kind of The Hart Foundation vs The World. Everyone in The Hart Foundation has made some kind of bet hinging on their match at Summerslam. Bret isn't going to wrestle in the US anymore if he doesn't win the belt, Bulldog will eat dog food if he can't beat Shamrock, Owen will kiss Stone Cold's ass, Pillman will wear a dress if Goldust beats him. and because he's not even wrestling, The Anvil will shave his goatee if any of the Hart Foundation loses. It's all kind of silly but there is some good wrasslin to be had here. 3 great matches on this card. Mankind vs Hunter Hearst Helmsley opens it up in a steel cage because no regular ring can contain them. It's a good brawl and Miss Foley's baby boy beats 3H out of the cage at the last minute. The second amazing match of the night is Stone Cold vs Owen Hart. That was one hell of a match up till the infamous piledriver. To this day I don't know how Stone Cold made that pinfall, let alone walk out on Raw the next week. Bret Hart vs Undertaker was a good even if it was heavily focused on HBK being the ref. HBK does a good job when he's in this position and the match ended with a classic HBK move and you're left wondering if he meant to hit Taker or not. I love that you can see him say "fuck" as he has to count Taker down for the 3 count.

Overall this was a decent PPV, but had a few stinkers on it. It's good, but not better than what it's leading up to. In the next few months you have the formation of DX, the screwjob, The Rock joining The Nation, Stone Cold vs McMahon getting started, Mr. McMahon transitioning from the announce booth to a character, KANE!!!!

I give this PPV a B-.

3 matches that are must see, the rest you can really skip. I mean, you see LOD vs Godwins 20,000 times on Raw, you see the whole gang warfare thing 5,000 times on Raw and Goldust vs Pillman isn't bad, but it leads to better, hilarious Pillman segments on Raw. Who can forget Goldust's backstage dressing room camera?

miserable

Just what was needs more,HBK clones

chris charlton ‏@reasonjp 12h12 hours ago
Kenny 'I'm Shin Nihon's Shawn Michaels' #g126 #njpwworld

also, it begins:

enuhito(English) ‏@enuhito_eng 5h5 hours ago
Breaking News:
Michael Elgin said he wants Naito to challenge for his IWGP IC title

bjork

Look at it this way, no Goldberg themed months. Nashtember-Nashcember though, the real deal.

I was going to agree and say I'd never post in a monthly thread with a goldberg theme, then I read the rest of the page and I'm not so sure about the rest of this month.

"According to Pwinsider.com, Shawn Michaels has joined the coaching staff at the WWE Performance Center. Michaels is relocating to Orlando, and is taking over the “finishing class” previously run by Terry Taylor. Taylor recently had neck surgery and was unable to continue coaching the class as he recovered.

The site also reports that NXT coaches Sara Del Rey and Adam Pearce will be leaving their positions at the WWE Performance Center. They will be taking producer positions with the main roster. WWE will be looking to add to the Performance Center staff; they recently brought in Scotty Too Hotty and Stevie Richards for guest coaching spots. That is how Adam Pearce got his job with the company."

RIP NXT Women's division

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"According to Pwinsider.com, Shawn Michaels has joined the coaching staff at the WWE Performance Center. Michaels is relocating to Orlando, and is taking over the “finishing class” previously run by Terry Taylor. Taylor recently had neck surgery and was unable to continue coaching the class as he recovered.

The site also reports that NXT coaches Sara Del Rey and Adam Pearce will be leaving their positions at the WWE Performance Center. They will be taking producer positions with the main roster. WWE will be looking to add to the Performance Center staff; they recently brought in Scotty Too Hotty and Stevie Richards for guest coaching spots. That is how Adam Pearce got his job with the company."

RIP NXT Women's division

Not bad, good news all around.

Sephzilla

RIP NXT Women's division

Hopefully the upside is that the main roster women's division gets a boost.

I really wish Scott Hall would be one of the performance center coaches. Dude knows his stuff. But I understand why he's probably a liability.

Kaladin

Sara Del Rey will be missed. If you were familiar with her wrestling in the indies, her influence was seen heavily in the style of the NXT women's division.

There comes a point though, do you leave her to train all the new names, or bring her to the main roster to help those there that have moved on?

RIP NXT Women's division

SDR has been splitting time between the main roster and NXT for a while now. She'll just be traveling with the main roster full-time now, which I think is good as they could use someone like her helping put matches together. I have no doubt there's a system in place for the women at NXT. She was there long enough to install her own programs and teaching practices throughout the program.

Ithil

RIP NXT Women's division

Sarah Stock/Dark Angel has been training the women for a while since SDR has been promoted well above just being a trainer well before now.

Kaladin

I still find it kind of both a sad thing and a good thing that WWE has the legit best women's wrestler in the world in a backstage Producer role. All things said, Sara Del Rey should be one of the 4 horsewomen. But that being said, she is definitely a part of all 4 of them. You can see her influence there in all of them.

So it comes down to, do you want the greatest women's wrestler in the world, or do you want her to teach 4 great women's wrestlers?

klonere

Banned
Not sure if Omega's selling of the leg was better in the Naito match or the Tanahashi IC match. I was convinced he was injured in the Tana match, I need to go back and watch that now.

I still find it kind of both a sad thing and a good thing that WWE has the legit best women's wrestler in the world in a backstage Producer role. All things said, Sara Del Rey should be one of the 4 horsewomen. But that being said, she is definitely a part of all 4 of them. You can see her influence there in all of them.

So it comes down to, do you want the greatest women's wrestler in the world, or do you want her to teach 4 great women's wrestlers?

I think it's more than 4, it's the entire division

If she'd have been hired as a wrestler, she wouldn't have been able to push that revolution. None of the other indie big name women did (Mickie, Beth, Natalya).

As much as I'd love to have her do an early NXT Regal vs Hero/Cesaro type run though

Kaladin

I think it's more than 4, it's the entire division

If she'd have been hired as a wrestler, she wouldn't have been able to push that revolution. None of the other indie big name women did (Mickie, Beth, Natalya).

As much as I'd love to have her do an early NXT Regal vs Hero/Cesaro type run though

True, she did push the entire division. I remember maybe on Breaking Ground or maybe on a 24 or maybe on an interview she stressed that one of her creative training points was to have whoever she was working with play to their strengths. She really found that with a lot of the women on the roster and it is key to why the women's division is on fire in NXT.

So I've been catching up on about two months of Impact wrestling after giving up on it a few years back.
Some thoughts.

Aaron Rex is such a great promo, I really like this better than the Sandow character and I hope he finds a lot of success. So natural and smooth.

Matt Hardy is born again, so out there and off the wall but so good. What a rebirth!

How in the hell did WWE let EC3 get away? I didn't watch FCW/NXT when he was there but he is really good, maybe being fired was the motivation he needed.

Lashley still can't talk lol

Galloway was wasted in WWE

Knockout division isn't doing much for me, Knockouts were the best thing on Impact a few years back.

I like Mike Bennett a lot, why did he never get a WWE opportunity?

I don't mind small wrestlers but Spud looks like a child out there, looks like adults beating up a pre teen lol

Not the biggest fan of Josh Matthews PBP, not sure why just doesn't do it for me.

The Brother Nero angle was done perfectly, if you are going full carnie than go all the way. Him riding the lawn mower like a majestic steed slayed me.

James Storm needs less beer and more gym time lol, full dad bod on display!

Is there any worse name for a title than King of the mountain championship? Sounds like a Cornette smoky mountain wrestling gimmick.

Still prefer a square ring, the angle of the turnbuckles is off and looks dangerous.

Production value has taken a step back since Bischoff left.

In closing I like what's happening as a whole and will try to tune in more often. Probably going to cut Raw out and just watch recaps as 3 hours is too much, and start watching Impact more often. Will still watch Smackdown as a 2 hour format is much better.

I really hope Corgan can keep building the product and turn it into a money making company for more competition and spur a better product in all federations. If feels different which is a good thing.

Top Bottom