• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

The thing about TNA is that their situation is just dire. As Meltzer said, they could be great creatively and it still wouldn't matter because they have no way to make money. Their TV deal is garbage and they are unlikely to get a better one given their reputation. They don't and pretty much can't run house shows. Their PPV business is awful.

They just have a ceiling on them and they can't really go anywhere. At best they'll be a company with decent to good creative that eventually just dies off because they can't make money.

The thing about TNA is that their situation is just dire. As Meltzer said, they could be great creatively and it still wouldn't matter because they have no way to make money. Their TV deal is garbage and they are unlikely to get a better one given their reputation. They don't and pretty much can't run house shows. Their PPV business is awful.

They just have a ceiling on them and they can't really go anywhere. At best they'll be a company with decent to good creative that eventually just dies off because they can't make money.
F1SjAi6.gif

Zach

Aaron Rex is such a great promo, I really like this better than the Sandow character and I hope he finds a lot of success. So natural and smooth.

According to Wikipedia, it's Aron Rex (RIP Menome). But yeah, YouTube suggested I watch his debut promo, and I did, and I thought he did a good job.

I think Corgan taking over is a good step in rebuilding the reputation of the promotion. And if the product is good people will start watching again, good entertainment will eventually create a buzz and show results, just hope they can hold on during the rebuilding process, improve their product, and get a better tv deal when the time comes. Wish they had a big money backer like WCW did to help jumpstart the process by creating buzz with big signings and better marketing.

WWE struggles to get a 3.0 rating and if TNA could get to the 2.0 threshold again somehow I think it would do a lot to stabilize the promotion.

Wrestling needs TNA to survive and thrive because the main line WWE is so stale and over saturating the market. Something different is needed. ROH seems content in what they are doing so I don't see them as a long term spur to the industry and most fans in Europe and North America are not going to embrace a Japanese promotion.

Whatever happened to GFW and Jeff Jarrett? Is that dead or is he still trying to get on TV?

I think Corgan taking over is a good step in rebuilding the reputation of the promotion. And if the product is good people will start watching again, good entertainment will eventually create a buzz and show results, just hope they can hold on during the rebuilding process, improve their product, and get a better tv deal when the time comes. Wish they had a big money backer like WCW did to help jumpstart the process by creating buzz with big signings and better marketing.

WWE struggles to get a 3.0 rating and if TNA could get to the 2.0 threshold again somehow I think it would do a lot to stabilize the promotion.

Wrestling needs TNA to survive and thrive because the main line WWE is so stale and over saturating the market. Something different is needed. ROH seems content in what they are doing so I don't see them as a long term spur to the industry and most fans in Europe and North America are not going to embrace a Japanese promotion.

Whatever happened to GFW and Jeff Jarrett? Is that dead or is he still trying to get on TV?

The thing is, TNA has had mostly good creative all year and the only thing that got them attention was the Matt Hardy stuff, and even that only led to a marginal rating increase. TNA just has a stigma and it won't go away for some people. If Smackdown, a WWE product, can barely get to 2.0, there's essentially no chance that TNA can. Miracles happen, but TNA has burned people at every turn with their shitty booking and bad business decisions over the years, so now when they are actually doing well it doesn't matter because the book is already written on them.

Raw64life

Nothing short of a complete reboot would get TNA out of its current doldrums. And the most important part of that is Dixie Carter having zero involvement whatsoever. Her name is not quite Vince Russo levels of cancerous but it's getting pretty close.

I have not watched TNA since they brought back the shit sided ring and it's going to take a lot more to get me to ever watch again then a few people saying "eh, it's really not that bad!" and whatever the fuck the Final Deletion was.

Did you see Becky put Eva?“ "Eva Marie is so hard-working. Yes, she is new. She gets so much flack from fans for being this gorgeous woman who, apparently, they say can’t wrestle, but she puts in the hard work."

Aiii

So not worth it
Did you see Becky put Eva?“ "Eva Marie is so hard-working. Yes, she is new. She gets so much flack from fans for being this gorgeous woman who, apparently, they say can’t wrestle, but she puts in the hard work."

Anyone with eyes can see this. Eva has been working hard, but no matter what she does, she will always suck in the eyes of the smarks because they put her on TV once without any training and she didn't do well. Well fucking duh.

Becky working on her redemption, good for her.

Heroman

Banned
The thing about this is she not new, she been with company for 3+ years and barley improve

Kaladin

TNA's biggest mistake was Hogan and Bischoff. They were good for the company short term, but long term they took their money and ran. They were supposed to be the savior of the company, but they just made it worse and honestly put the final nail in the coffin that is TNA.

I have no problem with Eva. It's obvious she is working to improve and has gotten better, but the problem is she started from such a low point that even with improvement she's still not good. It'll be a while longer before she's good enough to carry the spot she's in.

The main problem with her is that the company wants to push her to a greater degree than her skills will support. If they would just be patient and let her get better before pushing her, they'd be better off in the long run.

And no, getting booed because people think you are bad is not the same as being a good heel.

Who is the single best wrestler to have never been injured and is just the most consistent worker to have ever graced the ring? Like legit never had their momentum stalled due to physical or personal issues. Just someone who just didn't stop being great?

All I can think of is Bret. I think he got injured like twice that we know of, and the second time, he had to retire and don't get me started with his personal issues.

But who else? Educate me!

Kaladin

Who is the single best wrestler to have never been injured and is just the most consistent worker to have ever graced the ring? Like legit never had their momentum stalled due to physical or personal issues. Just someone who just didn't stop being great?

All I can think of is Bret. I think he got injured like twice that we know of, and the second time, he had to retire and don't get me started with his personal issues.

7885474421d33314001dd965a9450266.jpg

Zach

Listening to "Rosealia" by Better Than Ezra feels like cruising in bjork's hand-me-down Ford Taurus with Data West and NeoGAF Vince McMahon pre-Hogan turn.

bjork

Steamboat? I mean, when he got hurt he was done, but I feel like he didn't miss much time before that and was consistently good. There probably aren't many in the main event scene. I guess you could say Macho, but he had a lot of downtime in WCW.

All the Noam Dar farewell/last match shows are getting announced. PCW on the 24th September, and Pro Wrestling Elite will be his last on 25th September

He never did come back to PROGRESS :'(

All the Noam Dar farewell/last match shows are getting announced. PCW on the 24th September, and Pro Wrestling Elite will be his last on 25th September

He never did come back to PROGRESS :'(

I think the guy is catching aa bad wrap from the CWC. Not his fault he's ended up matched up with two terrible guys who can't work with him.

His match with Sabre in the quarterfinals should be great though.

TNA's biggest mistake was Hogan and Bischoff. They were good for the company short term, but long term they took their money and ran. They were supposed to be the savior of the company, but they just made it worse and honestly put the final nail in the coffin that is TNA.

Crazy as it sounds, behind the scenes, I think Hogan did some decent things. He really pushed for Austin Aries back then but Dixie put the belt back on Jeff and turned Aries heel which infuriated Hogan and killed the spirit of a lot of fans, myself included.

He brought back the four sides ring which they should have stuck with, Styles has said that Hulk was very engaging with the talent and really tried to help them on their promos.

He also pushed for "Option 3" with the X division title which was brilliant but Dixie ruined it by putting the belt back on Jeff as soon as he got clean.

I thought the presentation under Bischoff-Hervey was much better than now.

Problem with Hulk was too much TV time and horrible creative in the company, but especially his angles. They also paid him performer money when he wasn't able to be a performer anymore.

The guys going behind Hogan's back (and Russo's) and convincing Dixie to change booking against what Hogan and the writers had planned killed the promotion. If you hear some of the past talents talk about some of the original plans they were actually quite decent.

That being said Brooke Hogan involvement was awful, Aces and Eights had good potential but was ruined, and the Claire Lynch storyline was the worst angle in modern wrestling history outside of Kane/HHH/Katie Vick.

I also enjoyed jaded AJ styles, some of the aspects he has kept in his current character, until they hot shotted it and turned him back to generic high flyer too quickly.

Also kept Tenay at PBP too long, most boring PBP guy in history though I do enjoy his color commentary.

Jeff Hardy stumbling to the ring high as a kite for a 30 second main event on a PPV didn't help matters.

Typing all of this, if TNA isn't dead by now I'm not sure what can kill them. Some rough years!

Heroman

Banned
Up until the last few days, I would have said 25, but the last three days put 26 over the top for me.

Nothing is ever gonna touch G1 24 though. That shit was immaculate.
The booking throughout the tournament was on a whole different level, Gedo is perhaps the greatest booker of the modern era.

I think the guy is catching aa bad wrap from the CWC. Not his fault he's ended up matched up with two terrible guys who can't work with him.

His match with Sabre in the quarterfinals should be great though.

Oh yeah, he's had the worst run of any of the real names, that's for sure.

He'll have a clean slate in NXT essentially
So instead of fixing ladder physics, Yuke's decide you can only place ladders in 5 spots.

Well done?

AHAHAHAHA

bjork

So instead of fixing ladder physics, Yuke's decide you can only place ladders in 5 spots.

Well done?

Don't forget, fellows: 2k16 is free on games with gold, starting tomorrow.

I'm still not trying it

Anytime someone says "there's no such thing as a lazy developer" I immediately know they've never seen a Yukes WWE game

I don't know that it's lazy so much as, zero incentive to improve because people go "this game looks shit" and then a day or a week later they go "so I dipped and got WWE 2k..." It's the McDonald's of video games.

Sephzilla

I don't know that it's lazy so much as, zero incentive to improve because people go "this game looks shit" and then a day or a week later they go "so I dipped and got WWE 2k..." It's the McDonald's of video games.

While I don't work in game programming, I do work in the programming industry. It's clear as fucking day that a lot of the technical problems with Yukes games boil down to either a complete lack of QA testing or just really incompetent QA testing in general. There have been a lot of bugs that should have been caught with even the most simple of tests.

There's literally no other bigger #DeadGiveaway of lazy programming in the entire industry.

Hasney

I hope it's better than what I'm reading it as.

In real life, a ladder match means high-impact, high-altitude spots that get the crowd out of their seats. In wrestling games, ladder matches mean a lot of fussing over how to place your ladder properly, and a lot of clunky looking interactions. No more.

In WWE 2K17, the ladder can only be set up in five specific locations: in front of each set of ropes, and in the center of the ring. Just get close to one, press the right button, and it gets set up properly every time. No more setting it up and climbing to the top, only to find you were an inch too far to the left.

On top of that, you can set a ladder up as a bridge from the apron to the outside barrier, opening up lots of new opportunities. I personally get arm dragged from the inside of the ring to the outside through a ladder before I could do anything more creative, but the possibilities are totally there.

They added the bridge thing to kill people through, but instead of getting creative with finding out how broken phoenix splashes are (as in, in 2k16, you can setup the ladder outside the ring on one end, then put someone on the table on the other side of the outside of the ring and CLEAR THE FUCKING RING), you're now stupidly limited.

Zach

bjork, after years and years of a stale Angry Old Man gimmick, you're now enjoying a Debt-Free Renaissance gimmick. The people love it.

bjork

While I don't work in game programming, I do work in the programming industry. It's clear as fucking day that a lot of the technical problems with Yukes games boil down to either a complete lack of QA testing or just really incompetent QA testing in general. There have been a lot of bugs that should have been caught with even the most simple of tests.

There's literally no other bigger #DeadGiveaway of lazy programming in the entire industry.

Right, but if they see some YT video of glitches and they're like "whoops we fucked up" and then the sales figures show that it still moves as good or better than before, why would they invest anything into fixing it? The audience has shown that it accepts this level of product, year after year.

bjork, after years and years of a stale Angry Old Man gimmick, you're now enjoying a Debt-Free Renaissance gimmick. The people love it.

I liked to think of it as a "I know what I like and it isn't 98% of this stuff" sticking-to-my-guns kinda thing.

Hasney

I don't even blame them anymore. They won't increase the team size and there's code in there going back to the PS1, but because they can't get a year off to actually start from scratch, they're just putting band aids over everything. The last large engine (not graphics engine) they had was 2011?

Yuke's made Day of Reckoning, they can do better than they do right now. They just aren't paid to and don't have to. They have a cushy job for life.

I need to go back to lurk mode. Some of my, err, lively and spirited comments in the past 12 hours is an extension of some pain I'm having to endure involving my back.

FUCK CIAMPA AND GREG MILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care how your back is, Ciampa is a saint.

Lie down and listen to some Daniel Bryan colour commentary

Hope you're better soon

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Thing is, you gotta be relatable. Someone like Eva Marie is not relatable to most fans since they'll never see a woman with those kinds of looks in their every day life - so people will naturally think of her as fake and try to take her down a notch. You see it with good looking men and women all over the place.

Top Bottom